Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YouTube testing hiding Dislikes on videos

Load Metric

YouTube testing hiding Dislikes on videos

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I just deleted 9 messages complaining about desertrunner and this thread. This is actually a good topic, and one I meant to post here myself, but forgot. Any further comments about desertrunner can be made in this thread, where existing discussion about him is taking place.

YouTube's removal of public like/dislike counts would be a disaster. And not for any political reason.

Scammers love YouTube. See the Christopher Mitchell thread in the Scams, Scandals, and Shadiness forum for an example. And guess what Christopher did when his like/dislike ratio went negative, even with the likes he was likely buying? He hid them. That's what scammers do.

But you might ask, "If scammers can hide it voluntarily, what's the harm in having it hidden for everyone?"

When a viewer can't find the like/dislike ratio, they get suspicious. If the entire feature is removed, then all videos will look equal to one another, aside from number of views -- which scammers are often good at manipulating anyway (in fact, it's much easier to manipulate that than it is likes/dislikes.)

The removal of like/dislike counts is GREAT for scammers and spammers. In fact, I often use this myself. If I am looking for a video on some topic I want to learn about, and I notice it has a bad like/dislike ratio, I usually don't bother with it, and move on to a better-liked video. Once in awhile I watch out of curiosity, and 100% of the time, I realize very quickly why it was rated badly.

YouTube claims it's doing this in order to stop "targeted dislike campaigns". That's where it's gotten political. It angers Google/YouTube when some silly SJW video goes viral on conservative social media, and then a bunch of conservatives show up and dislike the video. These dislike surges are usually not "targeted", but rather just a result of publicity in a certain sector where most people think similarly. There have been a few actual targeted dislike campaigns, but these have been a super-tiny percentage of videos on YouTube, and they shouldn't break the entire system just to stop this.

In fact, YouTube should find a way to stop targeted dislike campaigns from a technical/policy standpoint, rather than removing the entire thing.

For example, they could do what Wikipedia does. When a page starts getting maliciously edited over and over due to high publicity about a subject, Wikipedia locks the page until the controversy dies down. Yelp does the same thing. So YouTube could automatically disable new likes/dislikes when their system detects an abnormal number of dislikes coming in.

Also, if this is such a terrible thing and is hurting the content creators' feelings, why don't they just turn off display of likes/dislikes? That should solve it, right?

This is basically YouTube removing an important feature and empowering scammers, all so a few leftist snowflake creators don't get their feelings hurt when people on 4chan dislike their videos.

Load Metric
    Yeah great thread about video likes.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    Yeah great thread about video likes.
    This is a fairly major decision by YouTube (well, at least they're in a testing phase of a major decision), and it's my strong opinion that it will help scammers.

On a site called Poker Fraud Alert, I think that's a pretty relevant discussion topic.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I just deleted 9 messages complaining about desertrunner and this thread. This is actually a good topic, and one I meant to post here myself, but forgot. Any further comments about desertrunner can be made in this thread, where existing discussion about him is taking place.

YouTube's removal of public like/dislike counts would be a disaster. And not for any political reason.

Scammers love YouTube. See the Christopher Mitchell thread in the Scams, Scandals, and Shadiness forum for an example. And guess what Christopher did when his like/dislike ratio went negative, even with the likes he was likely buying? He hid them. That's what scammers do.

But you might ask, "If scammers can hide it voluntarily, what's the harm in having it hidden for everyone?"

When a viewer can't find the like/dislike ratio, they get suspicious. If the entire feature is removed, then all videos will look equal to one another, aside from number of views -- which scammers are often good at manipulating anyway (in fact, it's much easier to manipulate that than it is likes/dislikes.)

The removal of like/dislike counts is GREAT for scammers and spammers. In fact, I often use this myself. If I am looking for a video on some topic I want to learn about, and I notice it has a bad like/dislike ratio, I usually don't bother with it, and move on to a better-liked video. Once in awhile I watch out of curiosity, and 100% of the time, I realize very quickly why it was rated badly.

YouTube claims it's doing this in order to stop "targeted dislike campaigns". That's where it's gotten political. It angers Google/YouTube when some silly SJW video goes viral on conservative social media, and then a bunch of conservatives show up and dislike the video. These dislike surges are usually not "targeted", but rather just a result of publicity in a certain sector where most people think similarly. There have been a few actual targeted dislike campaigns, but these have been a super-tiny percentage of videos on YouTube, and they shouldn't break the entire system just to stop this.

In fact, YouTube should find a way to stop targeted dislike campaigns from a technical/policy standpoint, rather than removing the entire thing.

For example, they could do what Wikipedia does. When a page starts getting maliciously edited over and over due to high publicity about a subject, Wikipedia locks the page until the controversy dies down. Yelp does the same thing. So YouTube could automatically disable new likes/dislikes when their system detects an abnormal number of dislikes coming in.

Also, if this is such a terrible thing and is hurting the content creators' feelings, why don't they just turn off display of likes/dislikes? That should solve it, right?

This is basically YouTube removing an important feature and empowering scammers, all so a few leftist snowflake creators don't get their feelings hurt when people on 4chan dislike their videos.

I think YouTube gets paid by advertisers regardless and advertisers just want as many eyeballs as they can get.

When I saw this I thought of online reviews for retailers and restaurants. I can't vouch for how true it is but some owners
    have made it clear that certain competitors have taken the time to knock them down with repeated bad reviews.

Load Metric
    It’s obvious it’s a way to stop conservative members from tanking liberal videos.

Comments

splitthis:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

I think YouTube gets paid by advertisers regardless and advertisers just want as many eyeballs as they can get.

When I saw this I thought of online reviews for retailers and restaurants. I can't vouch for how true it is but some owners
    have made it clear that certain competitors have taken the time to knock them down with repeated bad reviews.
    It's a combo of wokeness and wanting to posture that they're not letting conservative trolls target them.

Now they can say, "See, we're doing something about those damn conservatives", without having to expend further effort.

But it's also due to wokeness, as well. They really want to protect these precious SJW pages which get highly disliked when brought to conservative social media's attention.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    A good example of a supposed conservative dislike campaign was the all-female Ghostbusters movie.

It was portrayed by the media that mean conservative trolls targeted the trailer with dislikes because they can't handle a female version of Ghostbusters.

In reality, it was getting targeted by conservatives because the trailer was terrible, and also because the movie was marketed in a very pandering-to-SJWs fashion. And indeed it flopped.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Too bad siriusly Sanchez got banned, he is an expert on manipulating YouTube likes etc...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Much like this lab experiment gone bad the likes/dislikes add very little to the joy and tragedy we already know.. If the thread or a video is a topic that interests me and someone has given it a thumbs down it in no way chases me away.

Even when a thread is trashed you still want to find out why it was so bad. YouTube providers get their bucks on subscriptions and watches I think. I don't think the likes/dislikes kills the content are a death sentence. It's so petty to just smash someone because their not exactly like you.

As far as the Ghostbusters remake goes it failed because women aren't funny. ha ha ha.

Load Metric
    A good example of a supposed conservative dislike campaign was the all-female Ghostbusters movie.

It was portrayed by the media that mean conservative trolls targeted the trailer with dislikes because they can't handle a female version of Ghostbusters.

In reality, it was getting targeted by conservatives because the trailer was terrible, and also because the movie was marketed in a very pandering-to-SJWs fashion. And indeed it flopped.
    Nothing about politics, but if they want people to like their movies, make them original and make them good. There's precious little of that from the big studios these days.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric

LOL conservatives are such aggrieved weirdos.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric

Both sides are pretty screwed up.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Nobody was aggrieved. The trailer sucked, the movie sucked, and the virtue signaling publicity campaign was cringe.

The other problem was that the characters of Ghostbusters didn't translate well to a gender switch, since much of the premise of that movie involved the follies of a bunch of oddball males fighting ghosts, and it just isn't easy to switch those characters' genders. It would be like remaking "Revenge of the Nerds" to be about female nerds. It just wouldn't work.

Load Metric

Nobody was aggrieved. The trailer sucked, the movie sucked, and the virtue signaling publicity campaign was cringe.

The other problem was that the characters of Ghostbusters didn't translate well to a gender switch, since much of the premise of that movie involved the follies of a bunch of oddball males fighting ghosts, and it just isn't easy to switch those characters' genders. It would be like remaking "Revenge of the Nerds" to be about female nerds. It just wouldn't work.
    It would make the scene where they fix up the house more realistic though.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    Free speech is in peril.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    Few years ago IG tested hiding likes from public. They don't show views and they don't even have a dislike feature. It's just likes and comments that are shown below posts. The backend analytics show a lot more and they never intended to change any of that.

Fairly sure they scrapped the idea or they are taking their sweet time making their mind.

The logic for hiding likes is based on nature of people being more likely to view and like posts with higher like count. It fucks with their algo to a degree. Minor bit is also the there could be some benefit to content creators when their "success" isn't blasted out to everyone. Some people are more likely to keep creating free content and possibly use some paid features more often.

What you have to realize with dislikes and nasty comments is that they are all considered engagement. 95% of the time they are beneficial to the content creator. Million dislikes means that million people are willing to watch a video and do something active. Even better if they start a comment chain or spend more time in the comment section of the video. It's also a free data point. Almost never has dislike ratio had any effect in a video being taken down. Different algo's do that. Voice recognition and DMCA related things usually do that.

YouTube gives grand total zero fucks about anyone's feels.

Comments

Walter Sobchak: correct

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post
    Few years ago IG tested hiding likes from public. They don't show views and they don't even have a dislike feature. It's just likes and comments that are shown below posts. The backend analytics show a lot more and they never intended to change any of that.

Fairly sure they scrapped the idea or they are taking their sweet time making their mind.

The logic for hiding likes is based on nature of people being more likely to view and like posts with higher like count. It fucks with their algo to a degree. Minor bit is also the there could be some benefit to content creators when their "success" isn't blasted out to everyone. Some people are more likely to keep creating free content and possibly use some paid features more often.

What you have to realize with dislikes and nasty comments is that they are all considered engagement. 95% of the time they are beneficial to the content creator. Million dislikes means that million people are willing to watch a video and do something active. Even better if they start a comment chain or spend more time in the comment section of the video. It's also a free data point. Almost never has dislike ratio had any effect in a video being taken down. Different algo's do that. Voice recognition and DMCA related things usually do that.

YouTube gives grand total zero fucks about anyone's feels.
    I don't think this is about removing content.

YouTube has been under fire for why they allow mean, nasty conservatives like Ben Shapiro to use their platform to spread "hate". YouTube, which primarily cares about money (but also is run by woke people) tries to dodge the criticism by saying that they're simply avoiding ideological censorship. Then the left fires back that those awful conservatives also run soul-crushing dislike campaigns against people (and movies) they don't like, and YouTube's apathy about the "problem" proves that indeed they are supportive of hate speech.

So this is likely a little olive branch being dangled to the SJWs, basically to shut them up. YouTube can now brag that they are taking care of the conservative trolls by ending the dislike trolling.

Load Metric
    So you literally hid the dislikes in this thread?

:irony

Comments

Walter Sobchak: lol you have a point
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric

Yes, big win for you and Team Incel.

Can't imagine how tough it would be if one of your precious 80's memories got successfully infiltrated by a bunch of women, with at least one lesbian to boot.

Bullet = dodged.

Thread Information