Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official Beef Jerky thread

Load Metric

Cool Official Beef Jerky thread

Please discuss your beef jerky here, different flavors, seasoning etc.

Tonight I got his bag of Korean BBQ and the beef was still soft and tasty. I like the smaller independent companies over the larger industrial jerky makers. The WSOP has Jack Links jerky IIRC.

Last edited by desertrunner; 03-20-2021 at 10:53 AM.

Load Metric
    It’s a great source of protein, but don’t like the shoe leather quality of it so I pass.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    desertrunner, or anyone else, have you ever stopped at "Alien Beef Jerky" in Baker, CA?

Looks very gimmicky to me, and I know it's an expensive tourist trap. However, all of the billboards insist it's great jerky. I guess it could be good AND expensive.

My then-girlfriend Miri stopped and bought some when I was with her in the mid-2000s, but I was really sick on that drive (I caught the flu from "onlinechamp" -- remember him?), and I couldn't eat any.

If it's good, maybe I'll abandon my Jewish principles and stop there next time I drive to Vegas.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also that Korean jerky looks good. Where did you get it?

Load Metric
    I got a big bag of bacon jerky about a month ago. Ate the whole thing in the car and felt awful afterwards. I looked at the calorie content afterwards and could have had a big mac instead.

Load Metric
    Druff, If you ever get to a Bucks game, Held's is ~30 min North of Fiserv. WI obv knows how to do brats, cheese, bacon, and jerky. No problem saying, this is the best jerky. This is the real stuff, right off the farm.
    https://www.heldsmarket.com/
    Name:  image-asset.jpeg
Views: 267
Size:  674.6 KB

Comments

Dan Druff: looks good, welcome back
    PFA NFL Handicapping Champion

Silver
    Load Metric
    I'm a very picky eater but this stuff is A+
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Also that Korean jerky looks good. Where did you get it?
    I got it at a local store here in Nor Cal. It takes a lot for me to rave about jerky and this stuff was actually really good. I’ll good back and grab another bags and mail it down to you.

Load Metric
    Druff- I was at the alien jerky in Baker along time ago, can’t remember. I might go back in the future, but the statewide jerky game is so much better now, stopping at Alien Jerky still might be a waste of time.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Technically you're beef jerkey

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    I got a big bag of bacon jerky about a month ago. Ate the whole thing in the car and felt awful afterwards. I looked at the calorie content afterwards and could have had a big mac instead.
    And you criticize others' diets lol

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Platinum
    Load Metric
    If you’re ever near Houston

https://www.bellvillemeatmarket.com/shop/

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    Technically you're beef jerkey
    LOL, funny.

Comments

Walter Sobchak: what's funny is that you're a complete piece of shit

DrPeters: offset

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The one thing I can't decide regarding jerky is how I like the texture. Some people like the really hard jerky, and others like the soft jerky which is easy to chew.

The hard jerky is frustrating to eat, and also can sometimes be tasteless.

The soft jerky has a weird consistency and isn't very satisfying to chew.

So both have their faults. I think I like something in the middle of the two.

Kinda reminds me of the debate regarding the best cooking of a steak. Some swear by rare, others swear by well done. I think that medium is unquestionably best -- as it preserves the flavor while not having that fatty, stringy texture. I find that rare steaks have a terrible texture, and well done is tasteless. Give me a perfectly medium steak, and I'm thrilled.

Comments

Starbucks Spunk Bucket: Medium- rare all the way

Walter Sobchak: Also a medium rare guy

Load Metric
    Druff- I’ve always liked the soft jerky and hated the hard stuff.

Load Metric
    Super timely thread, as far as the diddly household is concerned.

I always loved the idea of beef jerky, but was generally disgusted by any of the store-bought brands I'd ever had. The best ones were merely edible and unoffensive, and the worst ones were like badly seasoned pseudo-food. Up in Maine a few years ago, Bar Harbor area, I got some at a native american museum that was decent, and at the weekend farmer's market, I got some local lady's jerky, which was also decent. By decent, I mean 2.5 of 5 stars, maybe 3. Like, I WANT to like it, but they can barely meet me halfway.

Best I'd every had, by a wide margin, was from a barbecue place in Sturbridge, close to the Mass Pike/I84 junction, and most importantly, they had a BYOB policy and were near the Tree House Brewery. $9 for a QP, and it was almost always gone by the time the ride home ended. BT's Smokehouse. A dude my brother occasionally works with turned out to make and sell his own, and my brother got me a few packs of his for my bday a few weeks ago. Got like 5 different flavors, like bbq, maple bbq. maple apple bbq, spicy, and peppercorn, iirc. Solid but unremarkable, sweeter than I'm looking for, but a definite step up in quality from grocery store/gas station stuff.

Soon after eating all that jerky, I looked up what cuts of meat were good for jerky, just curious. I saw a lot of people use top round, bottom round, london broil, those areas. Just so happens that I had recently been picking up thin cuts of top round for steak sandwiches. Then I saw that you can make jerky in 4 hours in a low-temp oven. In January, our 30ish old oven shit the bed, and as far as I can remember, the lowest setting on that thing was 220 or 225 degrees. My new oven starts at 170F, and these recipes called for 170-180. Holy shit, I was gonna make jerky! I took a quick look at a handful of recipes, and freestyled from there.

I took about a lb of quarter inch top round, cut it up into strips, and threw it in a marinate for 24 hours. I went with soy sauce, Worcestershire, balsamic vinegar, liquid smoke, and pepper and garlic and onion powder. Wire rack over a cookie sheet, oven at 170 for 4 hours. ITS SO Fn GOOD AND SO Fn EASY!!!

Next time I'll take better pics thru the process and post it in willie's thread, but here's a few pics of how it turned out. I'd recommend making jerky to anyone. It's easy as shit, you can make whatever flavor you want, but most importantly, you can decide how tough or tender you want them to be. This was the 2nd batch I made, since the first batch only lasted 24 hours. Same general recipe, but I threw in some brown sugar this time, and it was a London broil this time.

I believe the kuntmissioner received this bag.

tl;dr make jerky at home, it's soooo much better than anything pre-packaged it's kinda shocking

Comments

Kuntmissioner: he did, and it was god
    Last edited by Crowe Diddly; 03-21-2021 at 04:47 PM.

Load Metric
    I just bought some national chain jerky in Reno, NV for my road trip. So far the sweet and spicy is good and mostly soft. 4/5 rating for a national chain jerky co.

Comments

some user: driving a foreign vehicle rep. sexy.

Load Metric
    I really never got the appeal of beef jerky. The taste and the texture always seemed like a treat for a dog to me. As I’ve gotten older my tastes have changed so this thread may get me to give it another whirl. I mean no disrespect to those who enjoy it. Just not my thing. Anyone feel the same way as me or I am way in the minority?

Edit: Maybe as Crowe has pointed out I have only tasted the shitty beef jerky. It seems like the spectrum is pretty wide.
    Last edited by JeffDime; 03-23-2021 at 01:14 PM.

Load Metric
    Jack Links- a WSOP sponsor...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffDime View Post
    I really never got the appeal of beef jerky. The taste and the texture always seemed like a treat for a dog to me. As I’ve gotten older my tastes have changed so this thread may get me to give it another whirl. I mean no disrespect to those who enjoy it. Just not my thing. Anyone feel the same way as me or I am way in the minority?

Edit: Maybe as Crowe has pointed out I have only tasted the shitty beef jerky. It seems like the spectrum is pretty wide.
    I suggest NOT buying the general national level brands. The smaller company type jerky seems to always be better.

Thread Information