Thread: Steve McMichael and health insurance

Load Metric

Steve McMichael and health insurance

Former football player Steve McMichael has ALS. He needs help paying his medical bills.

Why? ALS is somewhat common, and everyone has to have health insurance, right? I thought the ACA required it. Or am I wrong?
    I am a generally a useless source of inaccurate information.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sludge View Post
    Former football player Steve McMichael has ALS. He needs help paying his medical bills.

Why? ALS is somewhat common, and everyone has to have health insurance, right? I thought the ACA required it. Or am I wrong?
    Yes, it's required, but it's possible he let it lapse and didn't get insurance.

Most people with "medical bankruptcies" these days have that exact story, including two people I know personally.

Load Metric

Comments

Sludge: Great recollection.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by David USF View Post
    Thanks, Dan and David.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Mongo McMichael?

Holy shit, that isn't a name I've really heard in about 20+ years, but it certainly brings back some cool memories meeting the guy

Im not kidding. Its a Saturday Night and im chilling outside of a nightclub in my city with a bunch of my friends...we were trying to decide what bar to hit up next. Im guestimating it was around 98' - 99'...somewhere around that time period. Now to put it in perspective, this isnt a place where you normally have random celebrities show up out of the blue.

Then a limo rolls up and out comes a bunch of body guards and then McMichael himself. I cant remember why he was even in town, but we were in the right place at the right time and ended up having a few rounds with the guy and his entourage.

While we were saying our goodbyes, one of my friends decided to ask him a question about wrestling and what was was real or wasnt. (I mean, remember, this particuar time period was one of the hights of interest/viewership of WWF and wrestling was all the rage)

McMichael just says in an authoritative tone "the moves are fixed, but the pain is REAL"

It was a good time and ill never forget it.

I hope he is going to be ok

Comments

Sludge: :)

Load Metric
    So called required but Trump removed the financial penalty for not having it.

Comments

Sludge: Thanks for your comment.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post
    Mongo McMichael?

Holy shit, that isn't a name I've really heard in about 20+ years, but it certainly brings back some cool memories meeting the guy

Im not kidding. Its a Saturday Night and im chilling outside of a nightclub in my city with a bunch of my friends...we were trying to decide what bar to hit up next. Im guestimating it was around 98' - 99'...somewhere around that time period. Now to put it in perspective, this isnt a place where you normally have random celebrities show up out of the blue.

Then a limo rolls up and out comes a bunch of body guards and then McMichael himself. I cant remember why he was even in town, but we were in the right place at the right time and ended up having a few rounds with the guy and his entourage.

While we were saying our goodbyes, one of my friends decided to ask him a question about wrestling and what was was real or wasnt. (I mean, remember, this particuar time period was one of the hights of interest/viewership of WWF and wrestling was all the rage)

McMichael just says in an authoritative tone "the moves are fixed, but the pain is REAL"

It was a good time and ill never forget it.

I hope he is going to be ok

Hello, Gordman, unfortunately, no one gets out alive.

Kayfabe is the technical term for the scripted themes and characters. Right before the pandemic, we had tickets for a Raw show. Bought through stubhub, I am still waiting for a refund.

Load Metric

So, as other posters have correctly pointed out, the INDIVIDUAL MANDATE was removed years ago. So, there is no penalty for not having insurance. Biden reopened the enrollment periods through and including August 15, 2021, so Mongo can sign up today and have coverage effective 05/01/2021. There are no health questions and pre-existing conditions are covered from day one without any waiting periods. This however, will not help with past medical bills that he incurred.

Also, note that many people purchase catastrophic plans that have high deductibles and high out of pocket maximums.

But, I'm curious in that I thought the NFLPA provided coverage to it's former players.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerveza Fria View Post

So, as other posters have correctly pointed out, the INDIVIDUAL MANDATE was removed years ago. So, there is no penalty for not having insurance. Biden reopened the enrollment periods through and including August 15, 2021, so Mongo can sign up today and have coverage effective 05/01/2021. There are no health questions and pre-existing conditions are covered from day one without any waiting periods. This however, will not help with past medical bills that he incurred.

Also, note that many people purchase catastrophic plans that have high deductibles and high out of pocket maximums.

But, I'm curious in that I thought the NFLPA provided coverage to it's former players.

I think the NFL health coverage ends 5 years after retirement.

Thread Information