Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Top Shot

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

NBA Top Shot

Surprised this hasn't been discussed out here yet.

NBA Top Shot is the supposed opportunity to "own the greatest NBA highlights". It's kind of like video trading cards. However, "owning" the highlight doesn't mean all that much in a practical sense, as you don't explicitly make you the official owner of it, but rather makes you the owner in the Top Shot world.

Why does this matter? Because it's become a craze in February 2021, and people have been selling their rare Top Shots for big money. Here's a good explanation of the whole thing:

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2229519...deo-highlights

There are "common" highlights and "rare" highlights, and similar to baseball cards, the rare ones are valuable. These come in "packs", where you open them and can sell them. However, even if you get a common pack, you can make money, because you can sell them for more than you paid. The rare ones sell for way more.

You can get new packs in a "drop", where it's guaranteed money if you sell them right away -- at least for now.

So what happened? Of course word got around, and it became a mess. Over 200,000 people were in virtual line for today's "premium pack" being sold for $99. The drop date was yesterday, but they delayed it a day, and it was still a mess.

Sadly, I didn't get in on this whole thing. I was told about it almost 4 weeks ago, but I was tired when I was told about it, and forgot the whole thing until it was too late to really get into the whole thing.

Some people already had a nice Top Shot collection from as far back as mid-2019 (before it was popular), and now these people are sitting on a gold mine.

Stupid, huh?

Anyway, looks like this bubble is about to burst, as too many people know about it, and the company can't even handle the rollouts of new packs without all kinds of issues.

If you do want to get into it, new account signups are disabled, but presumably will be enabled soon, as today's drop is finished. Fewer than 5% of today's people in line got packs today. There's also concern that bots have been set up to hammer it with multiple accounts, increasing certain people's chances to get packs.

Anyone into this?

Load Metric
    I myself never heard if this Top Shot thing

I don't have a clue really what it all is. But, and I know hes banned here now but I saw via his Twitter that Plop is apparently big into this or somehting. To me its weird, and I dont really get it, or care too I guess =)...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Here's a blog from a guy who hates Top Shot:

https://praiseandslander.substack.co...e-i-absolutely

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Lol. You were too lazy to get in on it and now your bashing it because it became so popular.

Im sure people were saying the same thing about fantasy sports when it first came out. Some fad that was too huh?

Also, most of the users on here are broke losers that only want to talk about politics and wouldn't donate $20 bucks to a legend such as myself so that I may engage in debauchery so I doubt youll get much input.

Comments

dwai: faggot

Load Metric
    PLOP shot

He’s got a nose for fashion.

Comments

Sheesfaced: Plop shot plays

Load Metric
    Wait a year until it's out of beta and Ben is asking for packs for his birthday.

Load Metric
    I tried to help druff make more jew gold but he didn’t listen

I made some big mistakes along the way (like panick selling a LaMelo) but I’m still up maybe $3k

They are literally giving money away at pack drops

A $99 pack sold for $7k on eBay today

Don’t get SHUT OUT
    Hi Lew!!!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post

I made some big mistakes along the way (like panick selling a LaMelo) but I’m still up maybe $3k

Don’t get SHUT OUT
    I lurked the thread a few weeks back and figured if plop was on it, there was money to be made. Like Druff I just skimmed it and didn’t come back to it as I had a feel I already missed the gold rush. The signups were disabled last time I tried and still are atm. Is there a best time to signup? Like did I just get unlucky both times I looked and it’s open and closed throughout day or what?

I get the concept, but didn’t know if you needed a wallet to store packs and memories like crypto or what? Is it stored on their site if you can get in and signed up?

Load Metric
    I'm sure sign ups will be enabled over the weekend.

Comments

BCR: Thx. I’ll need to set my phone alarm periodically though the weekend as a reminder. I’ll forget otherwise.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

Don’t get SHUT OUT
    I lurked the thread a few weeks back and figured if plop was on it, there was money to be made. Like Druff I just skimmed it and didn’t come back to it as I had a feel I already missed the gold rush. The signups were disabled last time I tried and still are atm. Is there a best time to signup? Like did I just get unlucky both times I looked and it’s open and closed throughout day or what?

I get the concept, but didn’t know if you needed a wallet to store packs and memories like crypto or what? Is it stored on their site if you can get in and signed up?

Comments

gimmick: ok

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Don’t get SHUT OUT
    I didn't want to out him as the source in the OP, but yes, it was Willie who gave me the tip on February 1. I remembered how he stole from yEBSITE and didn't trust him, so I didn't act.

Not quite the same level mistake as dismissing bitcoin as a "cute little science project" when Micon kept praising it to me in 2011, but still shameful.

Load Metric
    I'm sure this is probably at a peak right now before dropping down, but I imagine it will be around for awhile. Smart to get in and try to get packs, but not smart to be buying anything on ebay right now.

Older crowd like most of us seem to poo-poo it by comparing it to sports cards, but without the physical item. I'd look at it more like the video game skins markets, except the NBA as a "video game" will never drop in popularity.

Load Metric
    I own a couple of of the cheapest common ones, I actually made like 4 bucks flipping my first moment (a non-descript Daniel Theis coast to coast slam) bought it for 29 and sold it for 42 or something but after fees on both ends came out about even. Meanwhile, a week later that Theis highlight is now worth about $15 and the two other crappy ones I bought have lost their value also. I tried to get in line for the drop today but only 10,000 available and about 250k in line I believe, they give you a random # I got 50000 needless to say I got shit. But if anyone is in the market for a pretty Ish Smith assist hmu

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalizeMeth View Post
    I own a couple of of the cheapest common ones, I actually made like 4 bucks flipping my first moment (a non-descript Daniel Theis coast to coast slam) bought it for 29 and sold it for 42 or something but after fees on both ends came out about even. Meanwhile, a week later that Theis highlight is now worth about $15 and the two other crappy ones I bought have lost their value also. I tried to get in line for the drop today but only 10,000 available and about 250k in line I believe, they give you a random # I got 50000 needless to say I got shit. But if anyone is in the market for a pretty Ish Smith assist hmu
    During the peak there wasn’t a single moment on the site for less than $25

Prices have definitely come back down to earth - last week pretty much any moment would almost double in value everyday

I got in before most people, but the true early adopters made MILLIONS
    Hi Lew!!!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    I'm sure this is probably at a peak right now before dropping down, but I imagine it will be around for awhile. Smart to get in and try to get packs, but not smart to be buying anything on ebay right now.

Older crowd like most of us seem to poo-poo it by comparing it to sports cards, but without the physical item. I'd look at it more like the video game skins markets, except the NBA as a "video game" will never drop in popularity.

I'm going to get in line for the next pack, but I imagine my chances of getting one will be quite low. Not going to buy anything on the secondary market, though.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I have been on top shots since early last month. I have put in about $10K and current portfolio is valued at ~$50K.

Was able to score packs relatively easily last month but the days of getting packs are probably over. ~200K people lining up for 5-10k packs. Money to be made buying the dips of moments and holding imo.

I don't think the bubble is imminent yet. Non-NBA NFTs (digital collectibles) have been trading at ridiculous prices for awhile.

See link below. This "crypto punk" sold for 300 ETH ($450K usd) today. Many NBA players are getting into Top Shot. Waiting for Curry, Lebron or another big name to drop reference to it and then I expect prices to soar.

https://www.cryptoslam.io/cryptopunks/mint/1119/
    Last edited by drake; 02-26-2021 at 03:34 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    PLOP shot

He’s got a nose for fashion.
    I’d email your kids and tell them you’d like some of the all time greatest LeBron plays as virtual stocking stuffers on a memory stick if I had their email.

We could get you some virtual Kershaw memories of times you had the right side of +475, but I doubt MLB could offer this with their average fan being older than we are. Everyone would have to have their grandkids figure out the blockchain.

Comments

Sanlmar: Kershaw digital fail ...priceless memories

Load Metric
    Chinese NBA fans in on this speculation?

Load Metric
    No. Me and PLOP talked about this and is one of the reasons we’re still bullish. Top Shot has done ZERO marketing because they can barely handle the existing traffic, but when China gets involved get ready to moon. They have more NBA fans than we do, and they love magic internet money.

Also had a couple moments sell today, someone shill me a good moment to buy for around $200
    Hi Lew!!!

Diamond
    Load Metric
    No. Me and PLOP talked about this and is one of the reasons we’re still bullish. Top Shot has done ZERO marketing because they can barely handle the existing traffic, but when China gets involved get ready to moon. They have more NBA fans than we do, and they love magic internet money.

Also had a couple moments sell today, someone shill me a good moment to buy for around $200

RJ Barrett

Comments

dwai: faggot

Thread Information