Surprised this hasn't been discussed out here yet.

NBA Top Shot is the supposed opportunity to "own the greatest NBA highlights". It's kind of like video trading cards. However, "owning" the highlight doesn't mean all that much in a practical sense, as you don't explicitly make you the official owner of it, but rather makes you the owner in the Top Shot world.

Why does this matter? Because it's become a craze in February 2021, and people have been selling their rare Top Shots for big money. Here's a good explanation of the whole thing:

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2229519...deo-highlights

There are "common" highlights and "rare" highlights, and similar to baseball cards, the rare ones are valuable. These come in "packs", where you open them and can sell them. However, even if you get a common pack, you can make money, because you can sell them for more than you paid. The rare ones sell for way more.

You can get new packs in a "drop", where it's guaranteed money if you sell them right away -- at least for now.

So what happened? Of course word got around, and it became a mess. Over 200,000 people were in virtual line for today's "premium pack" being sold for $99. The drop date was yesterday, but they delayed it a day, and it was still a mess.

Sadly, I didn't get in on this whole thing. I was told about it almost 4 weeks ago, but I was tired when I was told about it, and forgot the whole thing until it was too late to really get into the whole thing.

Some people already had a nice Top Shot collection from as far back as mid-2019 (before it was popular), and now these people are sitting on a gold mine.

Stupid, huh?

Anyway, looks like this bubble is about to burst, as too many people know about it, and the company can't even handle the rollouts of new packs without all kinds of issues.

If you do want to get into it, new account signups are disabled, but presumably will be enabled soon, as today's drop is finished. Fewer than 5% of today's people in line got packs today. There's also concern that bots have been set up to hammer it with multiple accounts, increasing certain people's chances to get packs.

Anyone into this?