Thread: Out of state estate processing.

Load Metric

Out of state estate processing.

I recently had another death in my family. I am now the heir and sole beneficiary of my grandmothers estate. My issue is this is close to 1000 miles from me. So I will be tasked with following probate process. I’ll need to go through the home for family heirlooms and misc items. But otherwise I need to dispose of the daily mundane stuff (example 42” plasma tv. Sure it works fine but not worth hauling home and I don’t have time or ability to sell locally). Fridge, table, beds, the list goes on. Do I try to have an estate sale? Or just use this service: https://www.junkluggers.com/estate-cleanouts.html ?

I’ve also never been through the process. Do I hire a lawyer or is it a waste of money? Transferring mail, acquiring bank accounts, paying utility bills, getting the house appraised/sold etc are all things to handle. All during Covid as well. Just a pain in the ass.

My grandma is why I play poker though. I remember huge games in her basement every weekend during summer visits. And I mean like $10,000 changing hands back in the 80s. My grandma had stories about arrests and robberies etc.

Any advice, input, ideas etc greatly appreciated. Should I get cameras installed to monitor? Or is that pointless? So many things........
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric

Load Metric
    Does she have a lot of household stuff of value? You’re best using two separate individuals if possible if she has antiques and valuable stuff in the home itself. A lot of those people who do estate type auctions also are appraisers, but unless you’re like the guy from pawn stars, you won’t really know what you’re looking at and if they’re being honest. It’s not like you’re going to know who is ethical if you live 1000 miles away.

Obviously locating all the paperwork for everything is essential. If this was expected, as I assume it probably was given you aren’t 20 and it’s your grandma, it’s probably all together if you don’t already have it.

Obviously you’d make out better having an estate sale, but if she had scaled down like many older people, probably just easiest to sell it to an auctioneer if we aren’t talking a ton of valuable stuff. You’ll pay for the convenience, but they’ll get everything out and just give you a set $ in most cases. You just don’t want to sell off some Hummel collection worth $100k because you don’t know better. You’ll have adequate time to get everything together in general as long as you don’t have some bitter relative who lives closer and doesn’t like that you’re the sole beneficiary. I’ve known that to happen to people.

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like she was a cool lady. If she was the type to have $10k poker games in the 80s, might want to secure the place at your first availability as she might have some things there you’re unaware of with value.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Does she have a lot of household stuff of value? You’re best using two separate individuals if possible if she has antiques and valuable stuff in the home itself. A lot of those people who do estate type auctions also are appraisers, but unless you’re like the guy from pawn stars, you won’t really know what you’re looking at and if they’re being honest. It’s not like you’re going to know who is ethical if you live 1000 miles away.

Obviously locating all the paperwork for everything is essential. If this was expected, as I assume it probably was given you aren’t 20 and it’s your grandma, it’s probably all together if you don’t already have it.

Obviously you’d make out better having an estate sale, but if she had scaled down like many older people, probably just easiest to sell it to an auctioneer if we aren’t talking a ton of valuable stuff. You’ll pay for the convenience, but they’ll get everything out and just give you a set $ in most cases. You just don’t want to sell off some Hummel collection worth $100k because you don’t know better. You’ll have adequate time to get everything together in general as long as you don’t have some bitter relative who lives closer and doesn’t like that you’re the sole beneficiary. I’ve known that to happen to people.

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like she was a cool lady. If she was the type to have $10k poker games in the 80s, might want to secure the place at your first availability as she might have some things there you’re unaware of with value.
    I think it’s probably closer to the scaled down scenario you outlined. Enough stuff that’s a hassle but not enough to have a full blown production. My grandpa died 30 years ago and I believe she slowly dwindled the finances, but she wasn’t flat busted either. The house is the primary asset.

You’re in Ohio right? Lol
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post
    I recently had another death in my family. I am now the heir and sole beneficiary of my grandmothers estate. My issue is this is close to 1000 miles from me. So I will be tasked with following probate process. I’ll need to go through the home for family heirlooms and misc items. But otherwise I need to dispose of the daily mundane stuff (example 42” plasma tv. Sure it works fine but not worth hauling home and I don’t have time or ability to sell locally). Fridge, table, beds, the list goes on. Do I try to have an estate sale? Or just use this service: https://www.junkluggers.com/estate-cleanouts.html ?

I’ve also never been through the process. Do I hire a lawyer or is it a waste of money? Transferring mail, acquiring bank accounts, paying utility bills, getting the house appraised/sold etc are all things to handle. All during Covid as well. Just a pain in the ass.

My grandma is why I play poker though. I remember huge games in her basement every weekend during summer visits. And I mean like $10,000 changing hands back in the 80s. My grandma had stories about arrests and robberies etc.

Any advice, input, ideas etc greatly appreciated. Should I get cameras installed to monitor? Or is that pointless? So many things........
    did your grandmother leave a will/or a trust document? you will need a family law attorney if the estate is over a certain size and you need to go through probate.

also, inform the IRS that you are the executor/trustee of the estate (file form 56) and that you will be responsible for seeing your grandmother's final lifetime tax returns are filed (2020 and 2021).

also, an estate/legal entity comes into being at the end of her life, so get a tax id for the estate by applying with the IRS for that (Form SS4 or online), then get a bank account for the estate...the bank will require a tax id...deposit in it all proceeds from sales of assets, pay all expenses from that account--you tax preparer with thank you for that--as well as you accountant if a court accounting is required by the probate court. The estate will need to file a tax return for the years the estate is open, probably just one as the estate sounds like a simple one.

get extra copies of the death certificate, 5 or maybe even 10---closing off accounts with various services will require your showing that (life alert, cell phone, car insurance, transferring ownership of her car, etc)

emptying the house can be a problem--so many things are hazardous material (paint, cleaners, oil, solvents, e-waste, glass, etc) that can't be tossed in the trash

also, go through the documents and sort out what needs to shredded

file a change of address with the post office and have her mail forwarded to you for up to a year

if you host a meal after the funeral be sure to make it a no-host bar---you guests will drink you into the poorhouse!

watch out for relatives coming around asking for stuff---don't feel obligated to give away things of value no matter how moving the story is they tell you--you are the one your grandmother chose to leave her things to and chances are the stuff you give away will wind up at a swap meet.

Comments

jsearles22: Great info. Thanks.

Sheesfaced: Knows his shit

hongkonger: useful info rep

PROUDBOY MAGA 2024: Solid

dwai: great post
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 02-25-2021 at 06:55 PM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post

did your grandmother leave a will/or a trust document? you will need a family law attorney if the estate is over a certain size and you need to go through probate.

also, inform the IRS that you are the executor/trustee of the estate (file form 56) and that you will be responsible for seeing your grandmother's final lifetime tax returns are filed (2020 and 2021).

also, an estate/legal entity comes into being at the end of her life, so get a tax id for the estate by applying with the IRS for that (Form SS4 or online), then get a bank account for the estate...the bank will require a tax id...deposit in it all proceeds from sales of assets, pay all expenses from that account--you tax preparer with thank you for that--as well as you accountant if a court accounting is required by the probate court. The estate will need to file a tax return for the years the estate is open, probably just one as the estate sounds like a simple one.

get extra copies of the death certificate, 5 or maybe even 10---closing off accounts with various services will require your showing that (life alert, cell phone, car insurance, etc)

emptying the house can be a problem--so many things are hazardous material (paint, cleaners, oil, solvents, e-waste, glass, etc) that can't be tossed in the trash

also, go through the documents and sort out what needs to shredded

file a change of address with the post office and have her mail forwarded to you for up to a year

if you host a meal after the funeral be sure to make it a no-host bar---you guests will drink you into the poorhouse!

watch out for relatives coming around asking for stuff---don't feel obligated to give away things of value no matter how moving the story is they tell you--you are the one your grandmother chose to leave her things to and chances are the stuff you give away will wind up at a swap meet.
    She did have a will. First one we did back in 2012 and luckily updated it just last fall. I have a notarized copy.

I’ve been researching and was on the path of the separate bank account. Also already asked the funeral home for 10 certified death certificates. The change of address and many other things will require one.

Load Metric

I think it’s probably closer to the scaled down scenario you outlined. Enough stuff that’s a hassle but not enough to have a full blown production. My grandpa died 30 years ago and I believe she slowly dwindled the finances, but she wasn’t flat busted either. The house is the primary asset.

You’re in Ohio right? Lol
    Yeah, I actually know a woman in that business if grandma happened to be in NE Ohio close to the PA border. The woman isn’t young or in particularly great health herself, and with this virus, wouldn’t be up for much of a drive.

Load Metric
    If there is real property and bank accounts not in your name then yes, you should hire a competent estate lawyer in the county where she lived and died. Check on Avvo.com for possible attorneys; or call the county clerk in that county and ask which attorneys seem to do the most estate work, then give them a call. As for property, I'd consider an estate sale if there's enough there to warrant it.

Load Metric
    One thing is it’s the best Ohio real estate market of my lifetime right now if you’re selling.

If she happens to live in Columbus area, then it’s really good. It’s a good time in many Ohio areas relative to normal. Columbus is best, but Ohio metro areas make up like 3 of the top 10 metros as of a few months ago. Columbus area homes are getting bidding wars well above asking.

It’s not LA or anything, its an incredibly low cost of living state, but it’s a historically boom market down there atm and up in a number of places around the state. I don’t know many people in Cincy area as I’m closer to Toronto than Cincy, but have read it’s a very good market there also. Dayton area is up. No one is getting rich on Ohio real estate, but it’s as good as it gets.

Load Metric
    did grandma searles have good credit?

apply for some credit cards in her name before the banks know she is donkdown

and then go buy jaren jackson jr moments on NBA top shot (#42/275 is probably the best deal out there)
    Hi Lew!!!

Load Metric
    One thing is it’s the best Ohio real estate market of my lifetime right now if you’re selling.

If she happens to live in Columbus area, then it’s really good. It’s a good time in many Ohio areas relative to normal. Columbus is best, but Ohio metro areas make up like 3 of the top 10 metros as of a few months ago. Columbus area homes are getting bidding wars well above asking.

It’s not LA or anything, its an incredibly low cost of living state, but it’s a historically boom market down there atm and up in a number of places around the state. I don’t know many people in Cincy area as I’m closer to Toronto than Cincy, but have read it’s a very good market there also. Dayton area is up. No one is getting rich on Ohio real estate, but it’s as good as it gets.
    I’ve heard that it’s good a lot of places. I’m not concerned about selling the house (or even necessarily getting tip top dollar). Her house is on a fairly busy street near a mall/shopping area. It’ll sell. She’s about a 30 minute drive from Columbus airport.

Load Metric

I’ve heard that it’s good a lot of places. I’m not concerned about selling the house (or even necessarily getting tip top dollar). Her house is on a fairly busy street near a mall/shopping area. It’ll sell. She’s about a 30 minute drive from Columbus airport.
    Yeah, I was looking through zip codes after I made my post and strangely the two states mentioned were yours and Ohio. Anything around Columbus is super hot. Even older areas as the young couples are getting priced out.

Load Metric
    On an interim basis, while probate is pending and maybe even beyond, I suggest that you talk to a property mgt. co. in that area about renting out the house fully furnished, preferably to a business person who will be working in that area for six months or so; with a quality tenant you can make money while sitting on your ass posting on message boards; you can always sell the house at a later date of your choosing.

Name:  big pay day.jpeg
Views: 134
Size:  80.2 KB

Comments

jsearles22: Not a bad idea at all

garrett: lol this made me laugh, "while sitting on your ass posting on message boards"

Load Metric
    Sorry for your loss. May her memory be eternal. As to the house, I would recommend you make a call to a local title insurance company (First American Title and Stewart have offices nationwide) and have a conversation with an escrow officer on what will be required to get the title into your name. You may want to have them do a title search to make sure there are no other issues with the title that need to be dealt with other than getting the title into your name. My experience in Utah is that they can do a lot of the stuff cheaper than an attorney although you may still need to hire one for the probate. Each state has different procedures but the title co can be a great resource as they can also refer you to a real estate agent who can best market the property when you are ready to sell it without incurring capital gains taxes. The title company should be able to tell you how long you have to sell it. Good luck with all you have to deal with. It's a pain in the ass but hopefully it's worth it for you when all is settled.

Thread Information