Load Metric

TOP THREE HEAVYWEIGHT BOXING CHAMPS

1. Joe Lewis 65-3 (51 KO's)

2. Rocky Marciano 49-0 (43 KO's)

3. Muhammed Ali 56-5 (37 KO's)

imho
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post

Look Corrigan, you've been a sideshow clown around here from the jump
    It's tough to take you seriously when you've made your bones acting the fool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Which one is he?

Load Metric
    One of my fav articles

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/boxchart1.html

their top 10

-2. Joe Louis (89) Louis most closely resembles the perfect fighter. He scored high in power, hand speed, killer instinct, heart, and ring generalship. He did well in all categories with his lowest scores in footwork and chin but still "solid." A near fundamentally flawless masterful technician as well as being a devastating puncher. His combination punching to the head and body was the best in division history.

1-2. Muhammad Ali (89) Ali's overall skills and strong showing in all categories give him a high mark. He received the only 10 in Footwork- as his lateral movement and foot speed was head and shoulders above the field. His hand speed, durability, heart and ring generalship were among the best.

3. Larry Holmes (88) Holmes scored very well in all categories showing why he is on the rise in many all time lists. A great technician. Not a true power puncher but good enough.

4. Jack Johnson (87) Johnson received my only 10 in Defense as he was a master at glove blocking, parrying, feinting, smothering and evading blows, and was a great counter-puncher, things most heavyweights are not good at. Ring founder Nat Fleischer, who saw them all, believed that Johnson's skills were incomparable defensively. Johnson had a 10 year unbeaten streak longer than many a fighters career. Johnson's relatively weak chin kept him from ranking higher.

5. Jack Dempsey (86) Dempsey's ability to inflict heavy damage, his will and killer instinct and often under appreciated boxing skills show why some consider him to be a heavyweight version of Roberto Duran. One of the greatest attackers and finishers in ring history, Dempsey finished 1st in 1950 AP Poll as the greatest fighter of all time.

6-8. Joe Frazier (83) A strong pressure fighter who gave 3 minutes of work every round, he was also a strong puncher especially with his great left hook. His defense is pretty good, especially against boxer types as his slip and duck rate is the highest I have encountered.

6-8. Jim Jeffries (83) Big enough to compete with modern heavyweights, Jeffries was also a world class athlete with a 6' high jump and could run the 100 yard dash in 10.5 seconds. Jeffries combined great stamina with a great chin which made him a very tough opponent. Big Jeff was a strong puncher who fought out of a crouch. A bit crude but no more so than Marciano or Foreman.

6-8. Mike Tyson (83) One of the best in combination of both speed and power in ring history. Tyson also had great killer instinct. His lowest score was in heart as he never showed the ability to come from behind when hurt and was a psychological front-runner.

9-10. Sonny Liston (82) A strong puncher with a powerful jab which came behind an 84" reach equal to that of Lennox Lewis and among the best in division history. He was a good technician with under-appreciated boxing skills. He had a decent chin. On the downside he is the only heavyweight champion to quit/surrender his title on his stool so his heart is suspect.

9-10. Lennox Lewis (82) Lennox results should be no suprise. He has the size, reach and frightening power to knock out virtually anyone. He can box well, has maneuverability, and is an adequate ring general. He could be more aggressive at times and was inconsistent in this manner. His chin was also not at the highest level.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Great choices Rollo, I will add three that aren't on your list. I would say they are all top ten.

Lennox Lewis
    Larry Holmes
    Evander Holyfield

Load Metric
    Mohammed Ali
    Rocky Marciano
    Joe Lewis
    Honorable mention Jack Dempsey
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Load Metric
    Great choices Rollo, I will add three that aren't on your list. I would say they are all top ten.

Lennox Lewis
    Larry Holmes
    Evander Holyfield
    I'm gonna have to do this when I have a few minutes, but I'm not sure Evander makes it into my top 10.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post

Lennox Lewis
    Larry Holmes
    Evander Holyfield
    I'm gonna have to do this when I have a few minutes, but I'm not sure Evander makes it into my top 10.
    agree Holyfield is top 10 but Larry Holmes fought a lot of bums and couldn't crack my top 5 imho maybe he was just unlucky that the quality of competition is his era was so mediocre Witherspoon, Smith, Weaver, Snipes, Shavers and Williams lol

Look Corrigan, you've been a sideshow clown around here from the jump
    It's tough to take you seriously when you've made your bones acting the fool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Which one is he?

Silver
    Load Metric
    Holmes is not a top 10 heavyweight...simply the best during an era of bums. I put Lennox in same category....amazingly overrated.

Load Metric
    Ali
    Holmes
    Hollyfield

those are the three best i saw fight...Ali was incredibly quick and set an extreme pace that challenged his opponents endurance. Holmes also fought at a fast pace, had reach and accurate punching, Hollyfield had amazing conditioning.

i guess Louis would probably make most experts lists as 2nd to Ali...don't know who would be third, maybe Jack Johnson or Jim Jeffries....but i don't think Marciano or Dempsey were all time calibur, or were any of the others mentioned imho

Load Metric

Load Metric
    This really should be titled Top 3 heavyweights you have seen fight in your lifetime.

My top 3 are...

3. George Foreman... Aside from the fact that he was absolutely ferocious when he was young, his comeback sealed it for me. I had a hard time not putting Holmes in this spot, and anyone that says Holmes doesn't deserve a spot in the top 10, well, let's just say I strongly disagree. Holmes was the heavyweight champion longer than anyone aside from Joe Lewis, and also had the most title defenses behind none other than Joe Lewis. I also disagree he didn't have anyone worthy back then to fight. Did someone actually LOL at Ernie Shavers? He was only the hardest puncher in heavyweight history. Ken Norton was no slouch either. Holmes arguably had the best jab in heavyweight history, and is still to this day grossly underestimated. But, what Foreman did to Frasier and Norton, and then to come back at the age he did and win the title once more... For me the Geritol punch slams it's way to my top 3 list.

2. Joe Frasier... There has never been someone with more heart than Smokin' Joe. His left hook is legendary, and his chin was equal to anyone in the history of boxing. Joe was just true grit, and probably the most entertaining fighter I have ever watched. He just never stopped moving forward. Had Futch not stopped the fight in the Thrilla in Manilla he would have most likely won, even Ali has admitted that. History was just a round away from being very different. There will never be another Joe Frasier.

1. Ali... Really goes without saying. He was simply The Greatest. I remember being a kid and watching him lose to Leon Spinks. I think it was the first time I truly had my heart broken over a sport. It wasn't just how great of a fighter he was, he was probably the most captivating character in the history of sports. People either loved him or hated him, but no one ever denied his greatness. Watching him float around the ring and just destroy people was the stuff that dreams are made of for fight fans, and there has never been anything like him since, and I doubt there ever will be.

My father always told a story about how he was up in the Catskills watching Ali train, and was talking to a doctor who performed physicals on most of the big name boxers before a bout in NY. The doctor told him that he had never seen a physical specimen like Ali, and that he literally was the perfect athlete. Throw in a chin like granite and as much heart and skill as any sport has ever seen and that is why Muhammad Ali will always be The Greatest heavyweight of all time.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Lennox Lewis would destroy in HW when he is in shape

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I got to put Honey Roy Palmer on my list somewhere.

Well actually I probably got with Ali, Louis, and Lewis. Frasier, Holyfield, Foreman, and Tyson are all honorable mentions though.

Load Metric

Load Metric
    It is indisputable that Ali and Louis are one and two, probably in that order but not necessarily. No valid argument can be made otherwise. Number three is open to debate, but I would say the top contenders are Jack Johnson and Jack Dempsey.

Load Metric
    Agree Louis/Ali are 1-2 in no particular order. There's a lot of guys you could make an argument for 3. I'd have to think about it more. I'm not putting Tyson near my top 3. Maybe Foreman. Dempsey.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JMM View Post
    Agree Louis/Ali are 1-2 in no particular order. There's a lot of guys you could make an argument for 3. I'd have to think about it more. I'm not putting Tyson near my top 3. Maybe Foreman. Dempsey.
    Hi JMM! What's up, kid? I don't put Tyson in the top 10, btw. He's maybe 12.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by HEX View Post

Not a lot, man. Been a shitty last month or so for boxing, eh? Between PED's, injuries, etc., seems like every big fight has been canceled. Looking forward to Sergio/JCC Jr, though.

How ya been?

Load Metric

Not a lot, man. Been a shitty last month or so for boxing, eh? Between PED's, injuries, etc., seems like every big fight has been canceled. Looking forward to Sergio/JCC Jr, though.

How ya been?
    I been OK. It has been a shitty time for boxing lately, and I am also of course psyched about Martinez/Chavez. Like many folks, I have this feeling that Chavez is gonna be a lot of trouble for him, but I think really the most likely outcome is that Martinez outclasses him and either wins wide or even by KO late. I'm gonna go on Saturday to Turning Stone (a couple hours from where I live) to see Golovkin-Proksa and Dzinziruk-Gonazalez. Pretty psyched about that.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Several points on the responses:

1) The golden age of boxing was the mid 80s. But not in heavyweights, but middleweights: Hearns, Hagler, Duran, Sugar Ray. Watch You Tube on these guys. I went on a day long bender on these guys like a year ago on You Tube. Watch the fight between Hearns and Duran. Then follow it up with Hearns - Hagler. Total is like 10 minutes of your time

2) Everything I read is Marciano beat a bunch of stiffs and would have been easily decimated by mid level talent in the mid 70s

3) Vegas1369 once again fucks up spelling when trying to make a point on being smart. It's one thing to make a typo, but to act like an authority and fuck up spelling on the subject matter names is just laughable. He did it with Shea stadium trying to make a point, and he just did it again.

Load Metric

How ya been?
    I been OK. It has been a shitty time for boxing lately, and I am also of course psyched about Martinez/Chavez. Like many folks, I have this feeling that Chavez is gonna be a lot of trouble for him, but I think really the most likely outcome is that Martinez outclasses him and either wins wide or even by KO late. I'm gonna go on Saturday to Turning Stone (a couple hours from where I live) to see Golovkin-Proksa and Dzinziruk-Gonazalez. Pretty psyched about that.
    I could definitely see Martinez just completely outclassing Jr and winning by WIDE UD. But there's something about this fight that makes me think that it might be a repeat of Cotto/Margarito 1. The boxer sweeping the early rounds, and the brawler coming on strong late, and walking him down.

Thoughts on Ward/Dawson? I like Ward a lot in that one. I think Dawson stuck his foot in his mouth offering to come down to 168 for this fight. I don't see where he has the weight to lose. It's gotta drain him.

Thread Information