Thread: 2+2 wins legal battle vs Dutch Boyd

2+2 wins legal battle vs Dutch Boyd

How did this guy ever think Mason Malmuth wouldn't go after him...http://www.parttimepoker.com/two-plus-two-dutch-boyd

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyMillersMeatCurtains View Post
    How did this guy ever think Mason Malmuth wouldn't go after him...http://www.parttimepoker.com/two-plus-two-dutch-boyd
    Yeah, I saw this.

On one hand, I think the judgment is bullshit. Mason didn't suffer any real losses from Dutch's actions, and it seems that Dutch was willing to back down and hand him the domains once the lawsuit was filed.

On the other hand, I think domain squatters are scum. That's the reason I don't have toddwitteles.com. Some asshole from Los Angeles registered it the day after I won my bracelet in 2005. I tried to make an ICANN claim against him, and I drew up a legal document that would have made Alvin Finklestein proud.

Unfortunately, I was drawing dead due to a technicality. You need a "service mark" or copyright in order to reclaim a domain of that name registered by someone else. I had no copyright on Todd Witteles, and I couldn't get credit for an "implied service mark" because I was not using my name itself to make money prior to the domain registration (such as selling Todd Witteles poker merchandise.) The arbitrator said that the other parts of my claim were sound, and I would have won without that technicality.

But I still lost. And I obviously wasn't paying that asshole the $1500 he wanted for my own name.

Mason won't get any money out of Dutch because I believe he's either broke or can at least credibly claim to be broke. Still, he's in a better spot to collect than he is against Yebsite's fake Anthony Scocozza name.

Load Metric
    +1

Post check.

WTG druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirens View Post
    +1

Post check.

WTG druff
    Is every member of "the crew" broke. Is Gank still trying to get in Wall Street. Did Joe Bartholdi blow all of his winnings from his WPT Championship?
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy Collins View Post
    Is every member of "the crew" broke. Is Gank still trying to get in Wall Street. Did Joe Bartholdi blow all of his winnings from his WPT Championship?

The term is synonymous with 'The Icon'

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Yeah, I saw this.

On one hand, I think the judgment is bullshit. Mason didn't suffer any real losses from Dutch's actions, and it seems that Dutch was willing to back down and hand him the domains once the lawsuit was filed.

On the other hand, I think domain squatters are scum. That's the reason I don't have toddwitteles.com. Some asshole from Los Angeles registered it the day after I won my bracelet in 2005. I tried to make an ICANN claim against him, and I drew up a legal document that would have made Alvin Finklestein proud.

Unfortunately, I was drawing dead due to a technicality. You need a "service mark" or copyright in order to reclaim a domain of that name registered by someone else. I had no copyright on Todd Witteles, and I couldn't get credit for an "implied service mark" because I was not using my name itself to make money prior to the domain registration (such as selling Todd Witteles poker merchandise.) The arbitrator said that the other parts of my claim were sound, and I would have won without that technicality.

But I still lost. And I obviously wasn't paying that asshole the $1500 he wanted for my own name.

Mason won't get any money out of Dutch because I believe he's either broke or can at least credibly claim to be broke. Still, he's in a better spot to collect than he is against Yebsite's fake Anthony Scocozza name.
    You really don't think Mason will ever get any money ut of Dutch? Mason has shown that he will never stop pursuing this kind of shit and wants to make people pay that fuck with him.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarefish View Post
    You really don't think Mason will ever get any money ut of Dutch? Mason has shown that he will never stop pursuing this kind of shit and wants to make people pay that fuck with him.
    Can't be sure.

Mason has had a longstanding power complex when it comes to the poker world. He likes to think he's the king of poker, and that anyone who doesn't do what he says will suffer consequences. Remember how he threatened to remove the PPA forum from 2+2 because he felt their logo had communist connotations? Remember how he banned ESPN columnist Gary Wise for featuring me in an ESPN article? Mason is a total control freak.

However, pursuing judgments from guys like Dutch is a huge pain in the ass. Collecting judgments should be a lot easier than it is, but unfortunately the laws favor the deadbeats. If you know where the person works, you can garnish their paycheck fairly easily. However, getting money out of the self-employed is tough, and getting money out of degenerates like Dutch is even harder.

Mason would have to identify Dutch's bank accounts, find out not just the bank but also his home branch (I always found this to be ridiculous), and garnish the bank account before Dutch withdraws the money from it.

In reality, I bet Dutch has very little in his bank accounts, and his entire net worth is sitting in a safety deposit box somewhere or perhaps even under his bed.

If Dutch owned a home, Mason could put a lien against it, but I don't think he does.

Could Mason use this judgment to take money directly out of Dutch's tournament winnings? I'm not sure about that one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Mason would need a court order for that, and I don't think there's time to get one, given that most tournaments go by so quickly.

I think Mason would be happy to collect, but I just don't see him expending the time, money, and effort to do so, just to get nowhere. He might try to collect initially, but I bet he'll give up quickly.

I think the most important thing was to set an example, and he managed to do that.

Getting a judgment against a known name like Dutch Boyd makes a lot more of an impression than a judgment against some Scranton nobody named Anthony Scocozza.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    member how he banned ESPN columnist Gary Wise for featuring me in an ESPN article? Mason is a total control freak.
    How is it any of Masons bussnies what ESPN does. Sounds unreal. What happend? Did they do an article?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Mason Malmuth is the prostate cancer of the poker industry. Just an absolute misery of a human being. I bet his bathroom garbage always contains at least one empty tube of Preparation H.
    Joe Sebok has a Micropenis.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I noticed my post on 2p2 was jacked but I had the foresight to take a screen shot first

Name:  2p2.gif
Views: 1034
Size:  123.3 KB

AND FUCK MASON MALMUTH!

Bronze
    Load Metric
    i agree with the sentiments in this thread.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarefish View Post
    Im still amazed that a guy like Mason gets the cred he does. Hes never cashed, let alone win, in a WPT, WSOP, EPT or any other acronym major poker tournament in his life. He has a nice thing going with 2+2 but some have suggested he lucksacked into that.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeremtdj View Post
    Im still amazed that a guy like Mason gets the cred he does. Hes never cashed, let alone win, in a WPT, WSOP, EPT or any other acronym major poker tournament in his life
    He was/is a cash game player.

Thread Information