Thread: Odd mechanic/dealership convo (wrenchjockey?)

Load Metric

Odd mechanic/dealership convo (wrenchjockey?)

Brought car in today for standard service. Mentioned soem vibrating in car above 100kms. They state almost certainly ice and that is the case no charge. Mentioned could have issue with struts in future but no reason to do anything at moment until start to notice significant noise.

So I go to leave and the guy walks outside to lot with me I assume he is going to grab a car but comes up to me and says the following in a complete straight face with no emotion.

him: "This is going to sound weird. I can't actually tell you to do this, but you might want to come back and have us check the ticking of your engine another time".

me: "Ummmm okay and when would that be?"

him "Well probably before 165k kms"

me "okay so like next week (I'm nearly at this number), it has been running a little loud (true)?"

him: "Ya that's right. That would be right. If you did have engine issue the car company might get you a new one".

me "okay sounds good but i need to do it before 165k?...."

him" yes that's correct"

First of all pretty sure my warranty is completely done with and searches online show nothing about a 165k km number. This dealership treats me great. They never upsell and even got me a free undercoating through the car company when I transferred over (the other dealership did none of this). They have amazing service all around including shuttle to and from work. I can't imagine they are fucking with me.

Are there some sort of unwritten warrantys in play here? He couldn't talk about it or give me anymore info as to what he really meant (seemed like he would get in shit). He also emphasized that he is not allowed to suggest it and I have to be the one to comment about engine ticking or being loud. Thinking about booking an appointment for I also Monday but its also a bit of a pain as no shuttle service going with covid and would likely have to wait there (annoying if just ends up to be a waste of my time).

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    Brought car in today for standard service. Mentioned soem vibrating in car above 100kms. They state almost certainly ice and that is the case no charge. Mentioned could have issue with struts in future but no reason to do anything at moment until start to notice significant noise.

So I go to leave and the guy walks outside to lot with me I assume he is going to grab a car but comes up to me and says the following in a complete straight face with no emotion.

him: "This is going to sound weird. I can't actually tell you to do this, but you might want to come back and have us check the ticking of your engine another time".

me "okay so like next week (I'm nearly at this number), it has been running a little loud (true)?"

him: "Ya that's right. That would be right. If you did have engine issue the car company might get you a new one".

him" yes that's correct"

First of all pretty sure my warranty is completely done with and searches online show nothing about a 165k km number. This dealership treats me great. They never upsell and even got me a free undercoating through the car company when I transferred over (the other dealership did none of this). They have amazing service all around including shuttle to and from work. I can't imagine they are fucking with me.

Are there some sort of unwritten warrantys in play here? He couldn't talk about it or give me anymore info as to what he really meant (seemed like he would get in shit). He also emphasized that he is not allowed to suggest it and I have to be the one to comment about engine ticking or being loud. Thinking about booking an appointment for I also Monday but its also a bit of a pain as no shuttle service going with covid and would likely have to wait there (annoying if just ends up to be a waste of my time).
    Most cars have 100,000 mile powertrain warranties (usually 5 year). I assume he’s trying to tell you he thinks you have an engine issue that would be covered under said warranty.

Comments

BetCheckBet:
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    was this conversation with cmoney's brother as well?

Comments

some user: SPITTIN BARS ON THE NOTORIOUS BCB!!1!!1

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post

him" yes that's correct"

Most cars have 100,000 mile powertrain warranties (usually 5 year). I assume he’s trying to tell you he thinks you have an engine issue that would be covered under said warranty.
    Thanks this is what it seems to be. 165k kms is actually above 100k miles (160k kms) but only by a little bit (I'm guessing the dealerships have 5k km leeway). I did find it interesting that he couldn't tell me he had any concerns (made sure to leave the building and not say it in front of any customers or fellow staff). I can only assume the car companies greatly frown upon this. I'm guessing he can't find anything wrong with engine unless he does a more thorough check but he can only do that check if I bring the concern up myself.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I don't know about you, but I won't feel comfortable until Garrett weighs in on this

Comments

Kuntmissioner: ROFL

jsearles22: Lol

Sheesfaced:

JACKDANIELS: got him

garrett: here is your weigh in moron, and you.. lol I dont even have to0...

Load Metric
    Update brought car in today and did a 45 min engine inspection. Did not charge me anything for it ( guess covered by car company). They said there was some scoring on engine likely related to pistons. No immediate danger but will eventually become a problem. They said they were gonna contact car company and see if they will will pay for essentially half of the engine parts to be replaced with 100 percent coverage. Not sure how likely will get it but definitely impressed with service.

Load Metric
    Update brought car in today and did a 45 min engine inspection. Did not charge me anything for it ( guess covered by car company). They said there was some scoring on engine likely related to pistons. No immediate danger but will eventually become a problem. They said they were gonna contact car company and see if they will will pay for essentially half of the engine parts to be replaced with 100 percent coverage. Not sure how likely will get it but definitely impressed with service.
    What would the labor charges be for the dealer to replace those worn parts? Would that also be covered by the warranty? And if so, is it covered 100%? Or prorated over the number of the years of the warranty?
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    "Update. I brought the car in today and they did a 45 min engine inspection. They did not charge me anything for it (I guess it was covered by the car company). They said there was some scoring on the engine likely related to pistons. There is no immediate danger but it will eventually become a problem. They said they were going contact the car company and see if they will will pay for essentially half of the engine parts to be replaced with 100 percent coverage. Not sure how likely will get it but definitely impressed with service."????

You can better

Comments

JACKDANIELS: terrible even for you

Load Metric
    Final update.

Was told today I will be getting a free new short engine block and labour costs to install (takes about 3-4 days). Covered 100% by company. Essentially saving several thousand dollars. I still don't quite understand cause my warrantee apparently expired at 100k kms. But nice to have dealership go out of their way to advocate to the company.

To celebrate myself and my liberal friends will be driving to Montreal to protest the lockdown.

Thread Information