Thread: Bill Gates: 'All rich countries should move to 100% synthetic beef'

Load Metric

Bill Gates: 'All rich countries should move to 100% synthetic beef'

Microsoft cofounder Bill Gates said in a new interview that all rich countries should transition to 100% synthetic beef in order to significantly curb the greenhouse-gas emissions driving climate change.

In an interview published Sunday by MIT Technology Review, Mr. Gates, who is now cochair of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and chair of the investment fund Breakthrough Energy Ventures, said the U.S. switching to plant-based meats like those sold by Impossible Foods and Beyond Meat will be “required” for saving the planet.

“As for scale today, they don’t represent 1% of the meat in the world, but they’re on their way,” he said. “And Breakthrough Energy has four different investments in this space for making the ingredients very efficiently. So yeah, this is the one area where my optimism five years ago would have made this, steel, and cement the three hardest.

“Now I’ve said I can actually see a path. But you’re right that saying to people, ‘You can’t have cows anymore’—talk about a politically unpopular approach to things,” he said.

Mr. Gates said poor countries like in Africa won’t be able to completely transition to synthetic beef and that “we’ll have to use animal genetics to dramatically raise the amount of beef per emissions for them.”

“So no, I don’t think the poorest 80 countries will be eating synthetic meat,” he said. “I do think all rich countries should move to 100% synthetic beef. You can get used to the taste difference, and the claim is they’re going to make it taste even better over time. Eventually, that green premium is modest enough that you can sort of change the [behavior of] people or use regulation to totally shift the demand.

“So for meat in the middle-income-and-above countries, I do think it’s possible,” he continued. “But it’s one of those ones where, wow, you have to track it every year and see, and the politics [are challenging]. There are all these bills that say it’s got to be called, basically, lab garbage to be sold. They don’t want us to use the beef label.”

Mr. Gates is currently promoting his new book, “How to Avoid a Climate Disaster: The Solutions We Have and the Breakthroughs We Need,” which is due to release Feb. 23.

Link to article: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...move-to-100-s/

On behalf of the meat-eaters of the world, Go Fuck Yourself! Plant based meats actually are not healthy for you, at least not as they currently exist.

Comments

shoeshine box: Just do NOT Fk w/da baconnn man,,...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerveza Fria View Post
    Microsoft cofounder Bill Gates said in a new interview that all rich countries should transition to 100% synthetic beef in order to significantly curb the greenhouse-gas emissions driving climate change.

In an interview published Sunday by MIT Technology Review, Mr. Gates, who is now cochair of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and chair of the investment fund Breakthrough Energy Ventures, said the U.S. switching to plant-based meats like those sold by Impossible Foods and Beyond Meat will be “required” for saving the planet.

“As for scale today, they don’t represent 1% of the meat in the world, but they’re on their way,” he said. “And Breakthrough Energy has four different investments in this space for making the ingredients very efficiently. So yeah, this is the one area where my optimism five years ago would have made this, steel, and cement the three hardest.

“Now I’ve said I can actually see a path. But you’re right that saying to people, ‘You can’t have cows anymore’—talk about a politically unpopular approach to things,” he said.

Mr. Gates said poor countries like in Africa won’t be able to completely transition to synthetic beef and that “we’ll have to use animal genetics to dramatically raise the amount of beef per emissions for them.”

“So no, I don’t think the poorest 80 countries will be eating synthetic meat,” he said. “I do think all rich countries should move to 100% synthetic beef. You can get used to the taste difference, and the claim is they’re going to make it taste even better over time. Eventually, that green premium is modest enough that you can sort of change the [behavior of] people or use regulation to totally shift the demand.

“So for meat in the middle-income-and-above countries, I do think it’s possible,” he continued. “But it’s one of those ones where, wow, you have to track it every year and see, and the politics [are challenging]. There are all these bills that say it’s got to be called, basically, lab garbage to be sold. They don’t want us to use the beef label.”

Mr. Gates is currently promoting his new book, “How to Avoid a Climate Disaster: The Solutions We Have and the Breakthroughs We Need,” which is due to release Feb. 23.

Link to article: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...move-to-100-s/

On behalf of the meat-eaters of the world, Go Fuck Yourself! Plant based meats actually are not healthy for you, at least not as they currently exist.
    For someone that brags all the time about giving his money away, he sure is taking his sweet time in doing so. He could pump in $50B into vaccines into other countries by now. Nope, he will give it all away upon his death though.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    It would be great if he just went back to running Microsoft, and ruining products his company buys.

Silver
    Load Metric
    One of the biggest

Load Metric
    We better listen this time! We could have saved Miami from becoming the modern Atlantis 9 years ago if only we had listened to Al Gore!

Load Metric
    People who live in poor countries won't eat that shit but richer younger yuppies from California will.

The price for beef is going to get so high in the future that only wealthy people will be able to afford it.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Easy for Bill to say he’s old and won’t have to eat that shit.

Load Metric
    SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!

Comments

FRANKRIZZO: blast from the past

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    it might be bad news but Bill Gates is right, as a species it's time to move on and quit destroying the planet starting with the generation immediately after ours is dead

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe View Post
    it might be bad news but Bill Gates is right, as a species it's time to move on and quit destroying the planet starting with the generation immediately after ours is dead

Thread Information