Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Central time zone cold spell -- southern Texas in the 10s

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post

Rick Perry has always been an idiot, C student back when A&M was a joke of a school...but he’s right, I’m willing to put up with this mess to save thousands each year. Obviously some people feel differently.
    And you're certainly entitled to your opinion. But blaming the problem on what Democrats did in 1935 when the Republicans have been in complete control of Texas for 25 years and could have changed it at any time is ridiculous.
    I said people blaming the republicans now for something done by Dems in 1935 makes no sense...which it doesn’t, and I never blamed the Dems...I like the lack of feds.

Why does LA have power outages too, they are on the impervious national grid? People act like there has never been a power outage before...#captainhindsight

Load Metric

And you're certainly entitled to your opinion. But blaming the problem on what Democrats did in 1935 when the Republicans have been in complete control of Texas for 25 years and could have changed it at any time is ridiculous.
    I said people blaming the republicans now for something done by Dems in 1935 makes no sense...which it doesn’t, and I never blamed the Dems...I like the lack of feds.

Why does LA have power outages too, they are on the impervious national grid? People act like there has never been a power outage before...#captainhindsight
    But it makes sense to hold the people in charge right now responsible for things that are happening right now, and hold them responsible for doing something about it.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    Why don’t the people of Texas just fly to Cancun?

Load Metric

But it makes sense to hold the people in charge right now responsible for things that are happening right now, and hold them responsible for doing something about it.

So. let's hold DeBlasio, Cuomo and AOC responsible for the dangerous shithole NYC has become. And let's do the same for Pelosi for the dumping ground San Francisco has become. And let's blame Biden/Harris for COVID-19

Load Metric

So you basically admonish every Democratic Chicago Mayor for the non-stop Murder wave? Of course you don't they are Democrats so it doesn't count, right?

Comments

gut: zing

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Like everything in the 2020s, this is getting needlessly political.

The GOP is blaming Democrats for their insistence upon green power, which they claim wasn't sufficient for this cold spell. Democrats are blaming "Republican policies like deregulation" for causing this.

In reality, it's just good ol' fashioned government incompetence.

A decade ago, the federal government warned Texas that they needed to "winterize" power plants to prevent another disaster like this. They didn't. They failed to protect the power generation from ice and cold weather, and as a result, a lot of it went offline during the extreme cold.

In short, Texas had enough power generation capacity, but a lot of it broke in this time of need.

George P. Bush, by the way, is Jeb's 44-year-old, half-Hispanic son who spoke at the 1988 and 1992 Republican National Conventions, in an effort to appeal to Hispanic voters.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/bus...d-15955392.php

Sad!
    Why is it "needlessly" political? Solutions that can help prevent this kind of problem have been blocked by Republicans who now want to point the finger anywhere but at themselves. They've been in complete control of Texas for 25 years now. Shouldn't their leadership carry some of the blame? Republicans were giddy when California had electricity supply problems before and blamed the Democrats running California, and to be fair they deserved some of the blame since they were in charge.

Interesting that the political consequences are "needless" when Republicans are in charge.
    Name:  2EE9426E-0C90-4414-A3D1-83A3CD91586C.jpeg
Views: 279
Size:  129.2 KB
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post

So you basically admonish every Democratic Chicago Mayor for the non-stop Murder wave? Of course you don't they are Democrats so it doesn't count, right?
    Lol yes, when you look at the thriving black communities in Chicago, Baltimore, and Detroit you can see why the democratic party obviously cares for minorities.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

Lol yes, when you look at the thriving black communities in Chicago, Baltimore, and Detroit you can see why the democratic party obviously cares for minorities.
    You will never get an honest answer from someone like this dude. He says he is rich, and likely is, I mean you really have to be a dumb mutherfucker not to be rich when the federal government is loaning free cash to anyone with a pulse. Guy is still very angry. Very Angry.

Comments

garrett: lol

Walter Sobchak: You are still very stupid. Very Stupid.

dwai: offset

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
    Why don’t the people of Texas just fly to Cancun?
    Because Mexico is a shithole country where you can't drink the water and only the wealthy have the basics of civilization.

Kind of like Texas right now.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerveza Fria View Post

So. let's hold DeBlasio, Cuomo and AOC responsible for the dangerous shithole NYC has become. And let's do the same for Pelosi for the dumping ground San Francisco has become. And let's blame Biden/Harris for COVID-19
    AOC doesn't run NYC. Pelosi doesn't run SF. Biden/Harris have been in office less than one month. They are doing something about COVID.

The Republicans have been running Texas for 25 fucking years, this has happened there before, and now it's happening again.

Load Metric

Chicago is poorly run and the leadership there absolutely bears some responsibility for what's happening there.

But the difference between the energy grid and the murder rate is that the energy grid can be directly controlled by the people running the state, whereas murder is individual behavior that is less controllable. They're not comparable.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    I love you buddy but I hate that song, I hate that artist.

I hate everything, except Mom

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post

I hate everything except bottomset's mom.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerveza Fria View Post
    [/B]

AOC doesn't run NYC. Pelosi doesn't run SF. Biden/Harris have been in office less than one month. They are doing something about COVID.

The Republicans have been running Texas for 25 fucking years, this has happened there before, and now it's happening again.
    Name:  Esd-b6eU0AIK19B.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  42.9 KB

derrrrrep

literally doing nothing
    Last edited by dwai; 02-18-2021 at 06:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

I hate everything except bottomset's mom.
    I want to die now, in the perfect moment ty

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post

Name:  Esd-b6eU0AIK19B.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  42.9 KB

derrrrrep

literally doing nothing
    Taken out of context by a known extremely biased "news" outlet. LOL

What he means is that we can only manage as best we can until the vaccinations are further along. Which is the truth. But he's managed it better than Trump, and that started with taking it seriously.

I know it must be painful to see someone competent and compassionate in office. You're just going to have to deal with it for a while.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Some in the area have asked me, "Could this happen in southern California?"

The answer is, "Probably not."

As unusual as this weather is for Texas, these aren't even all-time record lows. Dallas was -8 in 1899, and as recently as 1989, it was -1. Also in 1989, San Antonio was 7 degrees, and the all-time low was 0 degrees in 1947. Austin was just 3 degrees in that same 1989 cold snap, and was -2 degrees in 1949.

All of these cities see below-freezing temperatures each winter at some point. The difference is that it's usually only mildly below freezing, and there isn't usually snow. This year, there was both snow and temperatures in the 0s and 10s, causing what's known as a "hard freeze".

In Los Angeles, it's a different story. The coldest temperature ever recorded in the Los Angeles area was 18 degrees in Woodland Hills in 1990. But even that's an outlier, with it being rare for most of Los Angeles to ever dip below the freezing mark. Additionally, Los Angeles almost never has a high temperature below 45 degrees. In December 2015, much of Los Angeles (including where I live) was in the mid-20s, but that's about as cold as it typically gets, and even that is rare. Still, 25 degrees isn't cold enough to make pipes freeze, especially because it doesn't sit there for very long before rising above freezing again.

What about the power requirement? Not likely to be an issue either, as Los Angeles mainly heats with natural gas, and those lines are unlikely to freeze. The power won't fail because, again, the cold occurs in the middle of the night, and the daytime (when electricity demand in general is higher) is almost always above 45 degrees.

Load Metric
    One guy whose electricity stayed on has been charged $16,752 for it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/20/u...gtype=Homepage

Maybe Texas doesn't have a price gouging law. That's the price of "freedom" I guess.

BTW, this is why you should never put your bills on autopay.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Some in the area have asked me, "Could this happen in southern California?"

The answer is, "Probably not."

As unusual as this weather is for Texas, these aren't even all-time record lows. Dallas was -8 in 1899, and as recently as 1989, it was -1. Also in 1989, San Antonio was 7 degrees, and the all-time low was 0 degrees in 1947. Austin was just 3 degrees in that same 1989 cold snap, and was -2 degrees in 1949.

All of these cities see below-freezing temperatures each winter at some point. The difference is that it's usually only mildly below freezing, and there isn't usually snow. This year, there was both snow and temperatures in the 0s and 10s, causing what's known as a "hard freeze".

In Los Angeles, it's a different story. The coldest temperature ever recorded in the Los Angeles area was 18 degrees in Woodland Hills in 1990. But even that's an outlier, with it being rare for most of Los Angeles to ever dip below the freezing mark. Additionally, Los Angeles almost never has a high temperature below 45 degrees. In December 2015, much of Los Angeles (including where I live) was in the mid-20s, but that's about as cold as it typically gets, and even that is rare. Still, 25 degrees isn't cold enough to make pipes freeze, especially because it doesn't sit there for very long before rising above freezing again.

What about the power requirement? Not likely to be an issue either, as Los Angeles mainly heats with natural gas, and those lines are unlikely to freeze. The power won't fail because, again, the cold occurs in the middle of the night, and the daytime (when electricity demand in general is higher) is almost always above 45 degrees.
    Texass. Proud to stand alone. Proud to spare every nickel including no enclosures for vital equipment. We’re talking walls.

Name:  937D5A86-7FEF-4C12-A2F7-0EE8D35B64F5.jpeg
Views: 180
Size:  778.6 KB

Thread Information