Thread: anyone here (old enough?) watched/remember the show "VEGA$"?

Load Metric

anyone here (old enough?) watched/remember the show "VEGA$"?

I was born in '78, so didn't watch it when it aired, and have been going back watching episodes on YouTube... it's pretty cool to see how the strip, billboards, and properties looked back then. It's also been cool to see who was performing at the time, and look up any names I didn't recognize

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WSPreadHead View Post
    I was born in '78, so didn't watch it when it aired, and have been going back watching episodes on YouTube... it's pretty cool to see how the strip, billboards, and properties looked back then. It's also been cool to see who was performing at the time, and look up any names I didn't recognize
    I watched a little of it as a kid. I was 9 when it went off the air -- so I kinda understood it, but obviously wasn't getting that much out of it at that age.

I watched when I saw my parents watching it. I was moderately fascinated with Las Vegas at that age, as my parents took me there a few times per year (and there was nothing for kids to do in those days, though they did have daycare centers at hotels which were super cheap!)

For that reason, Vegas was seen to me as strictly a gambling destination (which it actually was), and thus I got fascinated with the gambling itself. That probably shaped my eventual interest in playing blackjack and poker.

I do love old pictures of Vegas because the city changes so much, so quickly.

The time period of the show (1978-81) was a dangerous time in Las Vegas, as there was a heavy mob influence. If you pissed off the mobsters in the '70s or '80s, you'd have been foolish not to leave town. When Lake Mead got low and bodies were found, I predicted that the bodies would be dated from late '70s to mid-80s, and indeed that's what was concluded.

Load Metric
    I’m two years older than Druff. I didn’t really watch it much, if at all, but I recall it starred Robert Urich and for some reason I remember the characters name was Dan Tanna. Back then they ran a lot of commercials like “tune in on Friday to watch Robert Urich as Dan Tanna!” I think that’s probably why I remember it as I don’t recall ever watching it.

I knew who Robert Urich was from other shows like one of the Dirty Harry movies and a short-lived series called Swat that i did watch.

Also recall he died of cancer when I had cancer, so probably around 2001 or so and was fairly young. But the show, I got nothing other than I recall when it was on.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yes, Urich died at 55 from sarcoma, the same cancer which killed young poker player Kevin "Racks" Roster, Chad Brown, and even one of my own relatives.

Sarcoma has a poor prognosis, often kills people young, and its causes are unknown, though there's a theory that blunt-force trauma is one of the causes. My relative who died of it did indeed have a fall where they banged the area where the sarcoma eventually started, so I believe that theory is correct.

Urich was once part of a weird TV special featuring Rodney Dangerfield and Andy Kaufman, in 1983:

Load Metric
    I read the IMBD for Vega$

Viet Nam vet is a PI. He live on the premises of his rich benefactor. Show is set in a location that serves as a co-star. He has an attention getting signature car - ‘57 Thunderbird.

I’ve heard this before

Magnum PI. Viet Nam vet is a PI. Lived on the property of his rich benefactor which was managed by the British guy. Hawaii. Red 308 Ferrari.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The PI genre was popular on TV in the '70s and '80s, thanks to the success of "The Rockford Files".

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    The PI genre was popular on TV in the '70s and '80s, thanks to the success of "The Rockford Files".
    ‘78 Pontiac Firebird.

Rockford was seedy and down on his luck. Great show for its time. Aged a lot better than the others.

Just had a Starsky & Hutch flashback with the Ford Torino & the Nike swoosh on the side.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    ‘78 Pontiac Firebird.

Rockford was seedy and down on his luck. Great show for its time. Aged a lot better than the others.

Just had a Starsky & Hutch flashback with the Ford Torino & the Nike swoosh on the side.
    Yes, I know that car.

Name:  todd-rockford.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  256.6 KB

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

‘78 Pontiac Firebird.

Yes, I know that car.

Name:  todd-rockford.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  256.6 KB
    The nose on that car betrays that it is a newer model than Rockford’s but I tip my cap

Edit
    I may be wrong …. I’m usually pretty good with muscle cars

Damn son, that is THE Rockford car isn’t it? I finally noticed the Rockford cutout after researching Firebirds.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 04-22-2023 at 06:08 PM.

Load Metric

simon and simon.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    It's the same car. Well not the exact same car, but the same model and color.

Fun fact: The 853 OKG plate, seen in the show and in the photo, was a choice by James Garner. It was meant to represent "August 1953, Oklahoma Garner", with the date referring to his when he made his decision to try becoming an actor (though he wouldn't get any roles until 1954).

Anyway, you can't get that plate in California, even though nobody has it. This has nothing to do with the show, but because California oddly forbids people from selecting custom plates too much resembling standard plates. The concern is that 853 OKG could be seen as a sequentially issued plate (even though it's not the correct format), so they don't allow it.

The plate you see in that picture is phony, and only put on for display.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post

simon and simon.
    At least half the description of the show is devoted to which brother drove what car.

Load Metric
    Yes, I used to watch it as a kid. It was a good show, but eventually jumped the shark like most of these shows.
    En boca cerrada, no entran moscas

Thread Information