Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sports Cards are Roaring

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric

Sports Cards are Roaring

You know things are hot when Dan Fleyshman and CNN are commenting.

https://twitter.com/DanFleyshman/status/1353942855446712321

https://t.co/Bn8Ut6Uu1v

Do any of you dabble in the hobby?

Prices have run up so much, giving a bit of a bubble feel. But as long as the stock market is going strong and COVID is still lingering, I suspect the run will continue.

My favorite cards currently are established HOF NBA type players (graded rookie cards) that are still playing or newly retired. Parker, Ginobili, Dirk, Vince Carter, Melo.

It’s always fun to get young players too hoping for a pop (Melo Ball, Joe Burrow, Jerry Jeudy)

Load Metric
    May have to dig around my parent's basement whenever I can fly again.

It was a huge hobby of mine as a kid: I collected heavy amounts of basketball and baseball cards from like 1992-1998.

Subscribed to Beckett magazine and would pit any card worth $5 or more (lol) in a hardcover for safekeeping.

Spent all of my allowance on the premium brands of packs, so probably actually have some rookie Kobes, Iversons, Jeters etc. that may be worth something. Also had like every imaginable Jordan card, but in that window of 92-98 where they were mass produced.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Interesting. Right now, I'm still buying and collecting silver online. What do you think will bear more fruit in the long run?

Me- I have seen the sports card game go up and down over time and dont have much interest in it.
    Last edited by desertrunner; 02-12-2021 at 01:40 PM.

Load Metric
    Vegas Dave says the sports card market is going to crash.

The $2 million that Vegas Dave spent for rookie cards from Raiders quarterback Derek Carr may become worthless.

Sports cards for players like Michael Jordan, Tom Brady and other "superstar" players will continue to rise in value.

Load Metric
    what can I get for one of those '89 upper deck griffey jr rookies

Silver
    Load Metric
    Serious question.

Over the Summer as I was emptying out my storage unit I found a framed Kobe Bryant & Shaquille O' Neal Hand-Signed 16x20 With Certificate Of Authenticity
    #253 of 348 in existence. Still in original packaging and frame, untouched. I forgot I had it.

Any ideas as to how I can find out what it's worth?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
    Serious question.

Over the Summer as I was emptying out my storage unit I found a framed Kobe Bryant & Shaquille O' Neal Hand-Signed 16x20 With Certificate Of Authenticity
    #253 of 348 in existence. Still in original packaging and frame, untouched. I forgot I had it.

Throw it on eBay and let the market decide.

You can also do an advanced search and check the boxes for sold / completed listings.

Comments

JoeD: Thanks, I'm going to try. Havent used ebay in over 5 years

Gold
    Load Metric
    The VegasDave purchase of the David Carr card is very funny. How can that be worth anything in the future? David Carr is barely average, 0% chance of reaching the Hall of Fame. Will be lucky to win a wild card game even on a very talented roster, which the raiders do not have. Heard he might be traded tho. Say he winds up on Colts? Still one and done even on a very good team.

BTW a few “club girls” I know from my time in Vegas told me VDAVE has a micro penis. Not joking about that
    Last edited by NickyPipes; 02-12-2021 at 01:56 PM.

Load Metric
    Can I interest you in one of these?

Name:  tulip-in-a-pot.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  222.8 KB

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by v12cl View Post
    Serious question.

You can also do an advanced search and check the boxes for sold / completed listings.
    I just listed on ebay at a very high price just to see what happens. If it actually sells, there will be a very nice donation for a free roll in your honor!

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Serious question.

Authenticated by ..... ?

Load Metric
    Serious question.

I have a buddy, he knows all about the card let me give him a call. I just don't know what its worth

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballhawknet View Post
    Serious question.

Authenticated by ..... ?
    With the caveat that I'm no expert in this area so maybe I misspoke, but it came with a hologram certificate affixed at the bottom (excuse the picture quality)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    May have to dig around my parent's basement whenever I can fly again.

It was a huge hobby of mine as a kid: I collected heavy amounts of basketball and baseball cards from like 1992-1998.

Subscribed to Beckett magazine and would pit any card worth $5 or more (lol) in a hardcover for safekeeping.

Spent all of my allowance on the premium brands of packs, so probably actually have some rookie Kobes, Iversons, Jeters etc. that may be worth something. Also had like every imaginable Jordan card, but in that window of 92-98 where they were mass produced.
    Premium being the key word. I was really excited about my childhood collection too and then realized I was a cheapskate and bought quantity over quality, so none were that valuable.

Beckett was awesome back then. Yeah, $5 card and you were ballin.

David Carr would be a nightmare. Josh Allen isn’t David Carr I don’t think, but I guess that would be like going hard at Josh Allen rookies this offseason and then Allen shits the bed. One good year then fall.

You’ve gotta really enjoy this if you’re going to participate with a variety of players. Analyzing and bidding on random eBay auctions over and over. Not exactly a passive game.

Load Metric
    Huge money printing plus stimulus plus Covid blocking other opportunities for middle aged guys to spend = state of card prices

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by v12cl View Post

I just listed on ebay at a very high price just to see what happens. If it actually sells, there will be a very nice donation for a free roll in your honor!

Link ? cant find it

Diamond
    Load Metric
    im cleaning up on ebay

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballhawknet View Post

Link ? cant find it
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/254865837484?ul_noapp=true

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    Huge money printing plus stimulus plus Covid blocking other opportunities for middle aged guys to spend = state of card prices
    36 month / 0% interest / no credit check

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I have a bunch of cards from the mid 70s...mostly tops.

Probably worthless as they have just been sitting in a card notebook for the all star players and the rest in a Tupperware container.

My friends brother would use a sharpie to correct cards that had mistakes, mostly the first year of donruss cards...what a dummy.

Thread Information