Thread: A good acquaintance of mine died yesterday

Load Metric

A good acquaintance of mine died yesterday

He and myself were colleagues in our 20s, and loved playing poker. He was a little older and would host home games all the time, and introduced me to some underground games at some of the seediest spots you have ever seen. One was in a strip center next to a Chinese Grocery store which were owned by the same guy, and I am telling you the swings were wild, sometimes there was $50K on the felt. They never let more than 16 players play at a time/two tables, just to keep the temptation of robbery down. There were two rooms, one for watching TV, the other for poker. The owner refused to allow anyone to eat at the tables, you were permitted to order and eat in the other room as long as you were not gone for more than 15 minutes otherwise your seat was filled. You could drink and they had beer and wine, no hard liquor though. There was a Red Roof Inn and Motel 6 across the street, and if you were too drunk to drive and busted the owner would comp you a room.

Anyway, my friend and myself left about 9am after an all night session. I busted out and so did he. We were each pumping gas and he noticed my tail light was out. He was like, you need to get that fixed, one day at night when you have a few too many you could get pulled over. I was like whatever. There was an Autozone literally next door to the station and he was insisting just go in there and buy a replacement bulb, so I relented and did and replaced it.

That was Saturday morning. Sunday night I went back to play and busted my roll again, and on tilt I decided to drive to an ATM to get another $500 out, ATM was a mile away. It was 1am and a cop was behind me all the way. I was definitely over the .08 limit but given my tolerance I drove fine, got my cash and the cop got bored apparently and drove away. Point is if I had not got the bulb replacement I would have definitely gotten pulled over and likely arrested. I always remembered that.

So long old friend.

Comments

Starbucks Spunk Bucket: Nice story man

Load Metric
    Sorry for your loss and thanks for sharing.

Load Metric
    great story, sorry to hear about your friend

Load Metric
    Sounds like a true friend

Load Metric
    A real shame he fell out of your life.

A true friend would have never sat by idly as you flushed your life down the toilet.

Anyway, RIP, if it's real.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    RIP IN PEACE
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"

Load Metric
    One more story and I'll get off my friend, but I remember this as clear as day. He was our Team Lead and we had a good month and he took the team to lunch, I was like 25 at the time. We went to a local tavern for lunch and he was buying for the team. Every time we went out for lunch he would get a plain burger, I mean just a hamburger and bun, nothing else, it was really strange. So there was like 10 of us or so, and of course his burger came out with it loaded with ketchup, mayo and mustard. He sternly said he ordered it completely plain and the waiter was a real doofus and literally rolled his eyes.

So less than a minute later his burger came back on a bun with nothing on it. I was like that is great service, right up until he looked at the burger and it was the same burger, the kitchen simply tried to wipe off the burger and put it on a new bun! Needless to say he was furious, there was a Mexican place next door and he asked everyone to stop eating and we were leaving. We went to the Mexican place and that was that.

A couple weeks later we went to the tavern for a Happy Hour, it was like nothing happened. I asked him about the incident, he said he talked to the owner and the owner apologized and fired the waiter since it was the waiter who cleaned off the burger not the kitchen staff.

One more quick story was him getting stuck on an elevator for 4 hours in his apartment and trying to find a lawyer to get something out of it, but it never went anywhere. RIP.

Thread Information