Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The DC statehood debate

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post
    We should actually take away statehood from Hawaii and Alaska if the other non contiguous territories aren’t states.

Just give Puerto Rico it’s freedom and be done with it.
    Puerto Rico probably doesn't want statehood. They like not having to pay federal income tax.
    They voted on it last November in a non-binding referendum. 52% yes, 47% no.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/puerto-ric...ry?id=74055630

Load Metric
    I'd like to hear the opinion of Republicans who think it SHOULD be a state and Democrats who think it SHOULDN'T be. Everything else is partisan nonsense.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post
    I'd like to hear the opinion of Republicans who think it SHOULD be a state and Democrats who think it SHOULDN'T be. Everything else is partisan nonsense.
    I think it should remain the same. My only opinion is IF it’s one or the either, it’s statehood. Those people moved to DC knowing they wouldn’t have representation and let’s be honest, wherever they joined is already voting how they would. Demographics will solve the population skew eventually, it trends our way a little bit more each year, and I’m not sure this is a fight worth wasting time on when you only have a few years.

More than anything, I love DC and it’s unique. I dated a girl in high school who’s father owned a company that arranged the tours for hundreds of schools to take middle schoolers to DC. Charter trip guy. It was like a part time job after awhile kind of assisting approved chaperone parents/teachers, and an opportunity to spend a night with pretty girl in a hotel room once the young kids were asleep, but more than anything, despite going 50 different times and knowing what every guide was going to say before they said it eventually, it never lost its appeal to me. While current day politicians are scum, and those of that era were also, I was far less cynical as 16/17 year old, and just loved to see and hear the history each visit. So many good guides who add something you don’t know each time.

I hate the idea of losing any of that feel. How special it is even if those who made it special have been dead for a long damn time. I hate the idea of it just being buildings carved out on some map that makes no sense like a gerrymandered district. We have enough of that in US all ready.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post
    FUCK D.C. FUCK WASHINGTON, NO STATE FOR YOU
    I dont think statehood would pass muster if challenged Constitutionally to be honest.. They would need to pass and then ratify what would be a Constitutional Amendment (28th) in order to make it stand up to a SCOTUS Challenge.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Following the constitution is now a partisan issue. Sad but true.

The new law of the land is critical race theory and black lives matter. Everything else is white supremacy, must be dismantled, and must be adjusted to meet ever changed equity guidelines.

DC is not a state, and shouldn't ever be a state. Annex the land back to the states, and the representation issue is solved.

Puerto Rico is an entirely different situation, and if they wanted to join the union, it would be hard to make the case they shouldn't be able to.

For all the complaining and whining Democrats do about the size of Wyoming and the fact they get two senators, they have Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Delaware all locked up, and basically Maine, too. It all evens out.

I'll spot Dems Puerto Rico if they give us Jefferson.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Republicans: It's totally fair that 20 states with the combined population of California each get two senators and California gets 2 for 40 million people.

Also Republicans: Hey you're giving people representation! You're going to add 2 Democratic Senators! THAT'S NOT FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIR!
    and yet California gets 50+ reps for its population in the House.. You really should go back and read up on the Great Compromise and why Congress is set the way it is.. One side based on population.. One side based on equal representation.. JFC you're a moron about the Government and how its structured and setup arent you. How the fuck did you pass HS with such ignorance Walter.. Im being serious.. You obviously either never took Civics or Government or slept through the class no other explanation is possible. (Im begining to think more and more Walter is a dupe of Les, because only somebody not from this country would be that fucking stupid to make the comment about the Senate being equal representation and not understanding a clue how the Congress is structured the way it is). Oh while were at it.. Remember you swearing how the Impeachment of Trump was all legit.. hmmm Chief Justice John Roberts will NOT be presiding over the trial... Why? because his involvement only applies to a sitting President (as does the actual requirements for Impeachment only cover sitting federal judges, The President, and also actual sitting members of Congress for potential expulsion).. You really are ignorant as fuck man..

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    We already live in an unfair situation where states with little population are over represented. That’s fine, it was set up that way, but there has been thirty-seven states added since that point in time. There is nothing wrong with making it 38. I don’t like the buildings solution, but that can be done and the people given their own state at the same time.

I want the two extra senators and extra governor.

I won’t pretend to be non-partisan like that essay. We are already a minority majority country with Republicans being over-represented. At a time when Republican legislatures in Oregon and Arizona are censuring other Republicans for their refusal to live in an alternate reality and pledge their allegiance to a mentally ill cult leader, I’m for anything to lessen their influence in America.

I’m fine with leaving it as it is and waiting for demographics to cure the GOP problem, but I would hope for a state before the other solution for obvious reasons.
    DC has proven over and over it is incapable of governing itself sensibly or even with a modicum of Commonsense since the Feds gave it to them in 1976.. Total dysfunctionality in the education system as well as Metropolitian Police as well as the DC Fire/EMS Department.. Giving them statehood would in fact only make it worse.. They barely avoid becoming a third world country at times inside the borders.. There are huge parts of DC that nobody in their right mind who live in the city would dare tread unless they lived in those areas.. But again I stand by the fact without a Constitutional Amendment being passed and ratified because of the set forth for the Federal District I dont see it passing muster if/when it got to SCOTUS.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by v12cl View Post
    Following the constitution is now a partisan issue. Sad but true.

The new law of the land is critical race theory and black lives matter. Everything else is white supremacy, must be dismantled, and must be adjusted to meet ever changed equity guidelines.

DC is not a state, and shouldn't ever be a state. Annex the land back to the states, and the representation issue is solved.

Puerto Rico is an entirely different situation, and if they wanted to join the union, it would be hard to make the case they shouldn't be able to.

For all the complaining and whining Democrats do about the size of Wyoming and the fact they get two senators, they have Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Delaware all locked up, and basically Maine, too. It all evens out.

I'll spot Dems Puerto Rico if they give us Jefferson.
    PR has had a chance to vote on Statehood more then once as a referrendum and its failed everytime.. The people in PR have it made in that they are not subject to Federal Income Tax.. They arent gonna vote for losing 10-15% or more of their income (which already is notoriously low per capita) to gain basically nothing in the end but the right to send 3 blowhards to DC.. Theres always a cost benefit analysis and the people of PR have spoken more then once themselves.. Not sure why politicans in other locales think they need to speak for the people of PR.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post

Puerto Rico probably doesn't want statehood. They like not having to pay federal income tax.
    They voted on it last November in a non-binding referendum. 52% yes, 47% no.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/puerto-ric...ry?id=74055630
    and if you look at the statistics you missed the memo where the independant leaning and non statehood folks abstained from voting in that referendum as well by a huge margin.. The actual turnout was barely 20% of eligible voters on that question

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryback_feed_me_more View Post
    Republicans: It's totally fair that 20 states with the combined population of California each get two senators and California gets 2 for 40 million people.

Also Republicans: Hey you're giving people representation! You're going to add 2 Democratic Senators! THAT'S NOT FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIR!
    and yet California gets 50+ reps for its population in the House.. You really should go back and read up on the Great Compromise and why Congress is set the way it is.. One side based on population.. One side based on equal representation.. JFC you're a moron about the Government and how its structured and setup arent you. How the fuck did you pass HS with such ignorance Walter.. Im being serious.. You obviously either never took Civics or Government or slept through the class no other explanation is possible. (Im begining to think more and more Walter is a dupe of Les, because only somebody not from this country would be that fucking stupid to make the comment about the Senate being equal representation and not understanding a clue how the Congress is structured the way it is). Oh while were at it.. Remember you swearing how the Impeachment of Trump was all legit.. hmmm Chief Justice John Roberts will NOT be presiding over the trial... Why? because his involvement only applies to a sitting President (as does the actual requirements for Impeachment only cover sitting federal judges, The President, and also actual sitting members of Congress for potential expulsion).. You really are ignorant as fuck man..
    I understand why and I am saying it's stupid.

Also Trump is not the sitting president, so Roberts doesn't have to preside. That doesn't mean it's unconstitutional.

You need an upgrade on your logic chip.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    PR has had a chance to vote on Statehood more then once as a referrendum and its failed everytime.. The people in PR have it made in that they are not subject to Federal Income Tax.. They arent gonna vote for losing 10-15% or more of their income (which already is notoriously low per capita) to gain basically nothing in the end but the right to send 3 blowhards to DC.. Theres always a cost benefit analysis and the people of PR have spoken more then once themselves.. Not sure why politicans in other locales think they need to speak for the people of PR.
    As I posted above, PR passed a statehood referendum a couple months ago, 52% to 47%.

Chief Justice John Roberts will NOT be presiding over the trial... Why? because his involvement only applies to a sitting President (as does the actual requirements for Impeachment only cover sitting federal judges, The President, and also actual sitting members of Congress for potential expulsion)..
    It also includes Cabinet members. Like Secretary of War William Belknap, who was impeached and then convicted after he left office. They went on with the trial because impeachment is not only about expulsion, it's also about disqualification - per the constitution, and one shouldn't be able to avoid the consequences of impeachment simply by leaving office.
    Last edited by duped_samaritan; 01-28-2021 at 06:34 AM.

Load Metric
    GOPers in Congress recently posed some ridiculous arguments for why D.C. should not be a state. It shows how empty and unpopular their stance on the matter is with the majority of the country.

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The Republicans in that video should have read the post in the OP. They'd have a good answer.

Load Metric

The DC statehood debate

The Republicans in that video should have read the post in the OP. They'd have a good answer.
    What I’m gonna do is print out copies and paper mail it to them, for real.

Load Metric
    I know that some want to see DC become a state.

However, this is not fair because DC was never intended to be a state. It was chopped out of existing states, and if the concern is that 700k or so people have no federal representation, the solution is to return almost all of DC back to the states that it came from, thus giving these people representation. The solution is NOT to create a separate state in order to give a tremendous advantage to that territory which it was never supposed to have.

Thus, the fairest solution is to turn DC into a tiny area of federal buildings, and return the rest of the city to either Maryland, Virginia, or a combination of both. Then adjust Congressional representation as necessary. This will fully address the "we don't have any federal representation" concerns, without creating a 51st state which runs counter to the entire purpose of DC in the first place.
    Intent? Fairness? LOL

Slavery was "intended" to last forever and when the Constitution was written they bent over backwards to protect it. Things change.
    A small correction re intent....i believe around the time of the revolution many thought slavery would die out in the south as it had in the North...

You are right, things change...and re: slavery, economics changed to encourage slavery shortly after the constitution was adopted. The cotton gin was invented, and it made economical the raising of cotton over much larger areas of the south--previously, seedless cotton could only be grown in a few areas along the coastal areas of the Carolinas...with the gin, growers could make money on seed filled cotton that grew throughout the South. A huge increase in demand for labor resulted as more land was put to cotton.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    GOPers in Congress recently posed some ridiculous arguments for why D.C. should not be a state. It shows how empty and unpopular their stance on the matter is with the majority of the country.

Mumbles you fat trucker, the majority of the country doesn’t give a shit. 95% or more of the population doesn’t even know there’s a “debate” on this issue. Not everyone’s life revolves around “own ‘publicans” online. I know it gets lonely in those cheap motel rooms but don’t lose touch brother!

Load Metric
    Dems for because it would help.

Repubs against because it would hurt.

Let's not kid ourselves with specious arguments.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    Dems for because it would help.

Repubs against because it would hurt.

Let's not kid ourselves with specious arguments.
    It's also the fair thing to do. Including with Puerto Rico, which might send a Republican or 2 to the House out of their probably 4 representatives.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Conservotards thumb their noses as “fairness”.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Thread Information