Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why aren't more people Libertarian?

Load Metric

Why aren't more people Libertarian?

The platform of Gary Johnson, Libertarian Party candidate for POTUS, makes the most sense to the average moderate voter IMO.

What would it take for the Libertarian Party to grow in popularity? I guess what I'm really addressing is why aren't a larger segment of current Republicans in line with Libertarian thought instead?

Most intelligent people I know are fiscally conservative/socially liberal but align with one of the two major parties...for no real reason.

Discuss.

I don't even know his history but based on platform alone I think that Gary Johnson is the most attractive candidate.

Load Metric
    Just a simple numbers game. People know their votes won't count if they vote lib so they take the lesser of two evils and side with them.

How anyone can walk around and proudly call themselves a "republican" or "democrat" is beyond my comprehension.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeBet View Post
    Just a simple numbers game. People know their votes won't count if they vote lib so they take the lesser of two evils and side with them.

How anyone can walk around and proudly call themselves a "republican" or "democrat" is beyond my comprehension.
    Right, but your individual vote doesn't really count anyways.

Just seems like the smart move for a lot of people I know would be to vote Libertarian. If your views are most in sync with Libertarian values (or any other party) than why not vote for the candidate?

The two-party system is co-dependent and needs to be challenged.

Load Metric
    Libertarianism is a very idealistic ideology imo, and has some serious issues when applied to real-world problems

makes the most sense to the average moderate voter IMO.
    I disagree with this. I think libertarianism is pretty extreme, although I do agree with many of its main points.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrigan View Post
    Libertarianism is a very idealistic ideology imo, and has some serious issues when applied to real-world problems

I disagree with this. I think libertarianism is pretty extreme, although I do agree with many of its main points.
    You may be right, but please expound. There may be something I am missing. I don't really immerse myself into politics but find the overall philosophies the most appealing.

I basically see it as the average GOP stance minus the religious bullshit.

Load Metric

your post makes no sense.

try again.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Really it breaks down to what was previously said about throwing your vote away and also people who have lib thoughts but in the voting booth end up going 2 party system even though if you had never asked you would have assumed they went lib.

The world is so complicated now that I think we really need a competing 3 party system, two parties is not enough and way to much fake shit goes down. Shit just in Livonia McCotter had to resign because of fraud and he had been in congress for years. I know someone that ran as a dem vs mccotter and lost and is now running as a republican since his resignation. What does that tell you? Is the guy you're voting for really care about your values or is he just trying to seek opportunity and power?

Platinum
    Load Metric

No you are just s fucking liberal idiot. Lol at claiming the libertarians are the ones with an "idealistic" ideology. Look in the fucking mirror.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    No you are just s fucking liberal idiot. Lol at claiming the libertarians are the ones with an "idealistic" ideology. Look in the fucking mirror.

I think libertarianism is every bit as idealistic as the hippy-lets-all live in communes and grow our own food and love one another ethos. Libertarians want to get rid of all regulations in the marketplace, cut the income tax to ~0, etc., etc. which are pretty radical ideas. If you think total deregulation of all markets is the answer, I am not sure what to call that except being an idealistic moron.

I was responding to his claim that libertarianism is a view that the "mainstream" should believe in. No it is not. It is a radical ideology. I do agree with many of their stances (end war on drugs, drastically cut the military budget+military presence in many countries, etc.) but I think that regulation is much needed in many markets and that income tax, while decreasing efficiency, is a necessary evil. I believe that government does provide a role and shrinking it to near 0, would be a horrible horrible idea.

Banned
    Load Metric
    I identify more with libertarians than republicans or democrats, but I agree that pure libertarianism is an extreme ideology. It's best not to think of the political spectrum as having a single axis, even though we've been reduced to a polarized two-party system. Something like this is more appropriate.

It's still oversimplified, but libertarians occupy the orange dot. Also, I'm not sure republicans belong in the top-right quadrant anymore. Seems like they're drifting more and more left along the x-axis.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lewfather View Post
    Really it breaks down to what was previously said about throwing your vote away and also people who have lib thoughts but in the voting booth end up going 2 party system even though if you had never asked you would have assumed they went lib.

The world is so complicated now that I think we really need a competing 3 party system, two parties is not enough and way to much fake shit goes down. Shit just in Livonia McCotter had to resign because of fraud and he had been in congress for years. I know someone that ran as a dem vs mccotter and lost and is now running as a republican since his resignation. What does that tell you? Is the guy you're voting for really care about your values or is he just trying to seek opportunity and power?
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post

I think libertarianism is every bit as idealistic as the hippy-lets-all live in communes and grow our own food and love one another ethos. Libertarians want to get rid of all regulations in the marketplace, cut the income tax to ~0, etc., etc. which are pretty radical ideas. If you think total deregulation of all markets is the answer, I am not sure what to call that except being an idealistic moron.

I was responding to his claim that libertarianism is a view that the "mainstream" should believe in. No it is not. It is a radical ideology. I do agree with many of their stances (end war on drugs, drastically cut the military budget+military presence in many countries, etc.) but I think that regulation is much needed in many markets and that income tax, while decreasing efficiency, is a necessary evil. I believe that government does provide a role and shrinking it to near 0, would be a horrible horrible idea.
    I don't agree with all of your political views named above, but you are 100% correct about libertarians.

Pure libertarian ideology would be a disaster in the real world.

I think there are some Republicans who have converted to being "libertarians" because they are disgusted by the Christian influence in the party, and find themselves less and less identifying with the party.

I think that secular conservatism is really more what these people are looking for. That's what I consider myself.

Load Metric
    Was curious about the libertarians and got some literature from them. Dont remember a lot because this was about 20 years ago but national defense was the only thing I can recall them supporting govt doing.

For instance, no laws against drugs. They are not saying all drugs are OK, but that the govt(not sure if they mean just federal govt) should have any laws against them.

There were some other things, but I cant recall them.

Anyway, I'm a fairly conservative man and vote that way, and was in those days too. But when I finished reading what they sent I thought they were just a bit nuts.
    Tradition is a set of solutions for which we have forgotten the problems.

Load Metric
    I don't know how it is in other countries but in America there are not a lot of Libertarians because the two party system has fucked everyone into believing that only a two party system will work, ever, forever. I think more people are starting to come around but I hear a lot of people talk about Libertarianism as some kind of fringe crazy way the fuck out there thinking. You want to know what is some crazy out there thinking? The current political model of the United States. After the economy crashes and burns I think maybe it will have a chance but until then America is like that fat stupid dumb fucking kid that keeps holding their hand right by the stove thinking it's funny until they get burnt.

Take what is one of the biggest elephants in the room in this country: drugs. We have this war on drugs that has been going for decades and is pretty much synonymous with total failure. Prohibition not only didn't work but it exacerbated the problem by building up the mafia from a nickel and dime organization into a million/billion dollar operation and basically fucking a lot of good law abiding citizens whose only "crime" was wanting a drink. Now we have the same shit happening again because we can't fucking admit our own failures.

Libertarians see it as a completely different problem though. It is about allowing each individual the choice of whether or not they want to put something in their own fucking bodies. The same way that people choose to drink they should be allowed to choose if they want to smoke weed, which is safer than alcohol anyways.

And it's not just a legalize all drugs and let them sort it out. Ralph Nader has my views on this, he speaks of legalization and regulation. Bringing up prohibition again, people would make alcohol in their bathtubs and other people would get fucked up when they drank it because it was some nasty ass homemade brew shit made by some retard that had no business in a brewery at all, much less making it in their own home like a fuckface People would get sick, poisoned, etc, from the homemade shit. After they repealed prohibition guess what went down? You are correct if you said people getting sick and fucked up from drinking too much shitty liquor.

Anyways that is only a small part of it but I think Libertarians actually give credit to people for thinking for themselves, which of course is a huge problem with the current nanny state of affairs in America. But the way that things are going to go in the next couple of years I don't see there being any choice, motherfuckers are going to have to start thinking for themselves if some of these institutions fail as hard as I think that they will.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Because there are a finite number of libraries.

Load Metric
    ba dum tish

Load Metric
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I was libertarian and still kind of am, but I think it's immature and unrealistic way of thinking. you gotta realize there are retards, women and poc's

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe View Post
    I was libertarian and still kind of am, but I think it's immature and unrealistic way of thinking. you gotta realize there are retards, women and poc's

ive known a lot of super intelligent people who are initially attracted to the sense of personal responsibility / common sense angles of libertarians and noped the mother fuck out once they realized that whatever it was 20 years ago, its now a hyper right wing christian boys club for republicans and people with uncomfortable passions for military weapons.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I do believe we should be allowed to have guns. My problem with full on libertarianism has nothing to do with guns, but the fact that it can't possibly work for poor people who are born into impoverished places to stupid parents.

Comments

sonatine: coge

Thread Information