Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Religion declining at rapid pace in the US.

Load Metric

Religion declining at rapid pace in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by BlunderMaker View Post
    Religion isn't declining. One religion is being replaced by another gayer one.
    What is that? Liberalism? (I'm curious)
    Last edited by desertrunner; 01-25-2021 at 12:15 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by splitthis View Post
    I am sad for the nonbelievers. You are missing a lot.
    For me, I already tried religion (forced on me) at age 5-10 and just hated it. I was an intelligent child that figured things out quickly using logic and reasoning that there was no Santa Clause, tooth fairy or god.

As for the religious crowd, they’re always trying to force religion back on me and just can’t respect my rights, views and freedom as well. On top of that, they can not prove any part of religion as well. If you want me to believe, give me real PROOF and not just words. I just don’t have time for fake stuff.

No, you weren’t.

Everything you whine about in culture is a direct correlation to religion playing a lesser role. Every post outside flashlights is you longing for a world set up by Judeo Christian white guys for their benefit. Only an idiot wouldn’t see that and be wishing for a return to it, even if they didn’t believe it.

Every thread is nostalgia for an era long gone when the vast majority of households were religious.

Even Trump is a symbol of that right down to his slogan. MAGA-again, or in other words, when white Christians ran the country.

I’m a white middle aged guy, so it worked for me, and I miss it, but it’s dead and smart people realize when something isn’t coming back and adapt.

It’s also amazing that the Biden stole the election guy, which is pure fairy tale without a shred of proof, is making threads saying prove it to me.

You can’t be a real person. No one is this clownish and contradictory.

Comments

Walter Sobchak: ding ding ding

gimmick:

Gordman:

MumblesBadly: Nailed it

nunbeater: like that guy that was arrested at the capitol that was out on bond for drugs, what do you think the people in your party want lol

Load Metric

Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    No, you weren’t.

Everything you whine about in culture is a direct correlation to religion playing a lesser role. Every post outside flashlights is you longing for a world set up by Judeo Christian white guys for their benefit. Only an idiot wouldn’t see that and be wishing for a return to it, even if they didn’t believe it.

Every thread is nostalgia for an era long gone when the vast majority of households were religious.

Even Trump is a symbol of that right down to his slogan. MAGA-again, or in other words, when white Christians ran the country.

I’m a white middle aged guy, so it worked for me, and I miss it, but it’s dead and smart people realize when something isn’t coming back and adapt.

It’s also amazing that the Biden stole the election guy, which is pure fairy tale without a shred of proof, is making threads saying prove it to me.

Are you talking about me or you??

Comments

splitthis:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This is such a perfect time in the thread, I'm going to go all in and list a few additional things below...

Sloppy Joe nailed it on all points. I need to buy him a beer.

There are two types of people in this world- intelligent and non intelligent. Intelligence is something you're born with, education is what you get from school. Most if not all of the members on this board are poker players and in my opinion, poker players are intelligent and not dumb. So in summary, I'm guessing most poker players are not religious thus 2+2=4.

Over my long life and career, about 99% of the religious people I know are "off" in one way or another, typically in a small way, not big.

Religion is indeed a "mental illness". If you have to believe in fake or false people you have never met before, then you might have an issue.To believe in something you have never witnessed before, cant explain or cant prove, you need to look at yourself and ponder this. THE FLIP SIDE OF THE COIN- If it is true or believable and you can prove it to me, I am all ears and eyes and will let you prove you case. I will give you an honest chance.

Druff listed above a few ideals and standards that religion brings. You can have ALL of those without religion. You just need to embrace your inner self, find your inner moral compass and improve yourself. I can attest to this because I have done it myself. I am a good person and citizen without religion.

I have told people in the past- Take the "No religion challenge" for 30 days. Seriously remove God and religion from your life for 30 solid days and get back to me and tell me/us the difference. What changed for you really and be honest with me and yourself? Mostly likely the answer will always be nothing. If you really did it, you had more of a clear head and was able to better focus on life.

I often tell people- think of you life as a plate in front of you. The more junk you put on that plate (marriage, family, money, kids, bills, house, friends, health, religion, social media, etc), the more streee you'll deal with. I choose to have more of a "clean plate" in front of me and I will swear up and down and too your face- IT WORKS. Remove that religion from your plate and you'll a major difference.

People need "Hope" in this world and find it in religion. The churches feast and capitalize on this and that's how they make so much money, they sell hope to people. Yes, some day I do not want to die either, but just because I am told there is a (made up) after life, suddenly I got hope and God will provide me forever....just put some money now on the collection plate.

Religious nuts scare me, for real. They do not give up and keep coming after you over and over. This is one of the reasons I own firearms, seriously. If you cant leave me alone and stop forcing your ideals on me, I will defend myself.

Lastly, Ive caught alot of crap on this board because I like and support Trump. But I never claimed to be "Alt Right" or "right winged". As you know, the right is all about religion and obviously I am not. So when Trump or the Right talks religion, I am obviously not there with them.

The above is all my opinion and based on real life experience and testing, nothing is made up, fantasy or speculation.

Keep religion out of government, all levels, including the counties. Look at this picture from Nye County, Nevada. The Board of Commissioners put this on their chamber wall WITHOUT the consent of the local citizens and using taxpayer dollars. Just because you are conservative, doesnt mean you get to force you views on me and not abuse your power in local gov...

Me- I want to live a full life, not get married, date women with some to no commitment, eat good food, play poker and BJ, travel, shoot guns, desert run with dirt toys, desert camp, do flashlights with Druff and party in Vegas as much as I can. I can do and accomplish all of that without religion. You can be a "poor man's Dan Blizerian" without posting it on social media and bragging.
    A few additional things? Wall of text posts are not in your MO.
    It does seem familiar in some way though.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    For me, I already tried religion (forced on me) at age 5-10 and just hated it. I was an intelligent child that figured things out quickly using logic and reasoning that there was no Santa Clause, tooth fairy or god.

As for the religious crowd, they’re always trying to force religion back on me and just can’t respect my rights, views and freedom as well. On top of that, they can not prove any part of religion as well. If you want me to believe, give me real PROOF and not just words. I just don’t have time for fake stuff.

No, you weren’t.

Name:  OnlyAdorableAoudad-small (1).gif
Views: 277
Size:  621.7 KB

can you go without mentioning Trump in every thread?

Comments

garrett: lol

splitthis:

Load Metric

Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    A few additional things? Wall of text posts are not in your MO.
    It does seem familiar in some way though.
    If you keep this up, I’ll temp ban you too...Druff

Load Metric
    Ten most religious countries

140 Mauritania 98% 2%
    141 Sri Lanka 99% 1%
    142 Malawi 99% 1%
    143 Indonesia 99% 1%
    144 Yemen 99% 1%
    145 Niger 100% 0%
    146 Ethiopia 100% 0%
    147 Somalia[a] 100% 0%
    148 Bangladesh 100% 0%
    149 Oman 100% 0%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Import...ion_by_country

Ten least religious countries (China not on list probably because they are not allowed to participate in such polls)

1 Estonia 14% 86%
    2 Sweden 15% 85%
    3 Denmark 19% 81%
    4 Czech Republic[a] 21% 75%
    5 Norway[a] 22% 78%
    6 Japan 24% 75%
    7 Hong Kong 24% 74%
    8 United Kingdom 27% 73%
    9 Finland[a] 28% 70%
    10 Vietnam 30% 69%

Load Metric
    Also isreal the ultimate jew nation is only 50%

I can also say confidently that Trump's "shit hole countries" were highly religious and the countries he wanted to take more people from (Adamantium land) were heathens

Comments

garrett: lmao, dem Vikings yo...... "people from (Adamantium land) were heathens"

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by splitthis View Post
    I am sad for the nonbelievers. You are missing a lot.

You have time for plenty of fake memes about Biden, election fraud and conspiracy theories. But religion, what a bunch of hooey.

Story checks out.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Actually, garrett, I'm going to disagree with desertrunner here.

There has been a general media and popular culture assault on religion lately. Religious people have been painted as dumb rubes at best, and evil hypocrites at worst.

Even if you don't believe in God or other higher power, religion does have its benefits for society as a whole:

1) Provides a moral framework for people to follow. While there are hypocrites who don't practice what they preach, for the most part religion keeps people behaving better than they would otherwise. And while there are a few antiquated elements of religious morality which don't translate well to today's society (such as views on homosexuality), most of it is timeless -- instructing people not to lie, cheat, steal, commit adultery, etc. Again, many religious people don't stick to all of this constantly, but I believe this moral code does provide some overall behavioral benefit to society.

2) Provides a consequence for behaving poorly. If you fear living an afterlife in hell or some other unpleasant place, you have an extra obstacle in the way before behaving really badly. If your only fear of horrible behavior is being caught, it's easier to bring yourself to do really bad things.

3) Provides a sense of community. Many religious people have most of their social lives and activities via their religious organization.

4) Provides charity. Many charities have a religious basis to them. There would be much less charity if there were no religion.

5) What replaces it might be worse. Human being have a need to belong and be part of something greater than themselves. Religion used to fill that need. As it's been on the decline, people have replaced it with harmful activities, and I believe much of the current political extremism is a result of the absence of religion. Politics has become religion to some people, even if they don't realize it.
    Religion has been, and remains to be, the most destructive force throughout human history with plague coming in second.

It keeps people stupid and simple, has hindered scientific advancement since the beginning of time, is the ultimate tool for prejudice and division, is the fuel behind a majority of historical atrocities.

It may prevent flyover trash from the meth pipe or helsing but on a societal level it remains unadulterated poison.

See: Uighur muslims in China, Islam in general, conflicts in Africa, intelligent design in schools, abstinence only education in America, oppression of women, abuse of children by priests, etc.

It should be classified as a mental illness: imagine describing belief in an omnipotent sky wizard to a grown up that didn't grow up in such an idiotic paradigm.
    Like everything in life, something positive can be turned negative when abused. There are definitely unhealthy applications of religion, both on a small and large scale. Islamic fundamentalism is a good example.

Basically any religion where "non-believers" are persecuted or harmed is a bad thing. That sort of religious practice is clearly a net negative for society.

However, modern Christianity is not violent, nor are non-believers persecuted. Even your complaints about it (abstinence-only education, abuse of children by priests) occurs on a very small scale. Modern Christianity (and Judaism, for that matter) brings more positive to society than negative. Honestly, the worst that can be said about modern Christianity on a large scale is intolerance for homosexuals, but even that has largely waned as western society has come to accept homosexuality.

It might sound like a strange comparison, but saying religion is bad is like saying opioids are bad. Opioids are routinely abused in the US and ruin/take many lives. However, when used properly, opioids are very helpful (and have been a positive for me personally). The proper solution would NOT be to outlaw opioids, but rather to focus upon curbing abuse. Religion is similar. Just because it has problems doesn't mean that we should seek to get rid of it. As I said before, you won't like what replaces it.

Load Metric

Religion made “some people did something”...

Load Metric

Religion has been, and remains to be, the most destructive force throughout human history with plague coming in second.

It keeps people stupid and simple, has hindered scientific advancement since the beginning of time, is the ultimate tool for prejudice and division, is the fuel behind a majority of historical atrocities.

It may prevent flyover trash from the meth pipe or helsing but on a societal level it remains unadulterated poison.

See: Uighur muslims in China, Islam in general, conflicts in Africa, intelligent design in schools, abstinence only education in America, oppression of women, abuse of children by priests, etc.

It should be classified as a mental illness: imagine describing belief in an omnipotent sky wizard to a grown up that didn't grow up in such an idiotic paradigm.
    Like everything in life, something positive can be turned negative when abused. There are definitely unhealthy applications of religion, both on a small and large scale. Islamic fundamentalism is a good example.

Basically any religion where "non-believers" are persecuted or harmed is a bad thing. That sort of religious practice is clearly a net negative for society.

However, modern Christianity is not violent, nor are non-believers persecuted. Even your complaints about it (abstinence-only education, abuse of children by priests) occurs on a very small scale. Modern Christianity (and Judaism, for that matter) brings more positive to society than negative. Honestly, the worst that can be said about modern Christianity on a large scale is intolerance for homosexuals, but even that has largely waned as western society has come to accept homosexuality.

It might sound like a strange comparison, but saying religion is bad is like saying opioids are bad. Opioids are routinely abused in the US and ruin/take many lives. However, when used properly, opioids are very helpful (and have been a positive for me personally). The proper solution would NOT be to outlaw opioids, but rather to focus upon curbing abuse. Religion is similar. Just because it has problems doesn't mean that we should seek to get rid of it. As I said before, you won't like what replaces it.
    If anything, it's a massive negative that can occasionally be used positively. While there are definitely benefits to community and prosocial activity, this can be accomplished without the humiliation of pledging your life to a fucking myth. It makes sense that it was able to exist in the absence of science.

You narrowed in on Christianity and Judaism; the former has been peaceful for awhile, but historically is the worst by far.

Other organized religions have not been too kind to your tribe over the millennia.

It's estimated that 6-7% of Catholic priests are pedophiles, a horrifying figure given the size.

Abstinence only states have the highest rates of teen pregnancy and children out of wedlock.

Women, minorities and every other disenfranchised population suffer.

The difference between opioids and religion is opioids can work for some. Praying to a sky wizard doesn't and the consequences are far greater.

It's incredibly damaging to child development to have the fear of an omnipotent god watching one's every move, with eternal damnation being the cost.

Imagine what American society would be like if we all weren't brainwashed as children?

Religion developed as a grift to get believers to fork over money, or else burn. It still only divides. This fraud persists.

I never suggested 'getting rid of it' but society would immensely benefit if our laws weren't shaped by an assortment of fables and people embraced science over sky wizards.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric

Sloppy Joe is killing it hard core. Epic!!
    Last edited by desertrunner; 01-25-2021 at 06:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

If anything, it's a massive negative that can occasionally be used positively. While there are definitely benefits to community and prosocial activity, this can be accomplished without the humiliation of pledging your life to a fucking myth. It makes sense that it was able to exist in the absence of science.

You narrowed in on Christianity and Judaism; the former has been peaceful for awhile, but historically is the worst by far.

Other organized religions have not been too kind to your tribe over the millennia.

It's estimated that 6-7% of Catholic priests are pedophiles, a horrifying figure given the size.

Abstinence only states have the highest rates of teen pregnancy and children out of wedlock.

The difference between opioids and religion is opioids can work for some. Praying to a sky wizard doesn't and the consequences are far greater.

It's incredibly damaging to child development to have the fear of an omnipotent god watching one's every move, with eternal damnation being the cost.

Imagine what American society would be like if we all weren't brainwashed as children?

Religion developed as a grift to get believers to fork over money, or else burn. It still only divides. This fraud persists.

I never suggested 'getting rid of it' but society would immensely benefit if our laws weren't shaped by an assortment of fables and people embraced science over sky wizards.
    I disagree with a lot of the above. The "abstinence only" states have high rates of teen pregnancy and out-of-wedlock children because these tend to be states with a lot of small towns, and the lack of anything to do leads to more teen sex (and sadly, more drug abuse). That's not a reflection upon religion. The abstinence-based education has largely lost influence in recent decades, given society's general approval of premarital sex. This dates back to the 1970s. You just don't have many people these who are getting pregnant due to lack of education about birth control options. It's just irresponsible behavior, which is something which will always be a trait of teenagers.

Christians and Jews do not oppress "women and minorities". Again, this is very old school thinking, and hasn't applied for many years.

Additionally, looking back into non-modern history is inconsequential at this point. We're talking about the best path going forward, not damage Christianity caused in the distant past. Modern Christianity and Judaism does not endorse violence or discrimination, with the exception of some Christian communities still shunning homosexuality, but that is on the decline as well.

You said, "It's incredibly damaging to child development to have the fear of an omnipotent god watching one's every move, with eternal damnation being the cost." Again, I disagree. If fear of eternal damnation keeps you from lying, stealing, cheating, murdering, or committing adultery, then that's a positive thing. The only potentially harmful fear of damnation can be hesitance to engage in homosexual relations, but as I said, the stigma of that is on the decline. This also only affects a relatively small percentage of the population, as most people are either heterosexual or bisexual, and can easily be happy with a heterosexual lifestyle. I do hope that Christianity continues on the path of being more welcoming to homosexuals, and accepts that most were indeed born that way, and there's usually no way to pray the gay away. Aside from orthodox, the Jewish religion is already relatively welcoming to gays. For example, the conservative temple where I got Bar Mizvah'd prints notices of gay marriage of members of the congregation, and has since it was legal.

I don't deny that religion has its downsides and causes some harm. I just feel that generally nonviolent religions do more good than harm, and that cases of abuse can be found in any aspect of society. Look at poker. Plenty of (true) horror stories of how poker ruins lives, but nobody here feels that poker's existence is a bad thing.

I feel it's a simplistic view to just state, "Religion is bad, the less we have, the better", because it's a complicated issue, and then there's also the issue of what replaces it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I disagree with a lot of the above. The "abstinence only" states have high rates of teen pregnancy and out-of-wedlock children because these tend to be states with a lot of small towns, and the lack of anything to do leads to more teen sex (and sadly, more drug abuse). That's not a reflection upon religion. The abstinence-based education has largely lost influence in recent decades, given society's general approval of premarital sex. This dates back to the 1970s. You just don't have many people these who are getting pregnant due to lack of education about birth control options. It's just irresponsible behavior, which is something which will always be a trait of teenagers.

Christians and Jews do not oppress "women and minorities". Again, this is very old school thinking, and hasn't applied for many years.

Additionally, looking back into non-modern history is inconsequential at this point. We're talking about the best path going forward, not damage Christianity caused in the distant past. Modern Christianity and Judaism does not endorse violence or discrimination, with the exception of some Christian communities still shunning homosexuality, but that is on the decline as well.

You said, "It's incredibly damaging to child development to have the fear of an omnipotent god watching one's every move, with eternal damnation being the cost." Again, I disagree. If fear of eternal damnation keeps you from lying, stealing, cheating, murdering, or committing adultery, then that's a positive thing. The only potentially harmful fear of damnation can be hesitance to engage in homosexual relations, but as I said, the stigma of that is on the decline. This also only affects a relatively small percentage of the population, as most people are either heterosexual or bisexual, and can easily be happy with a heterosexual lifestyle. I do hope that Christianity continues on the path of being more welcoming to homosexuals, and accepts that most were indeed born that way, and there's usually no way to pray the gay away. Aside from orthodox, the Jewish religion is already relatively welcoming to gays. For example, the conservative temple where I got Bar Mizvah'd prints notices of gay marriage of members of the congregation, and has since it was legal.

I don't deny that religion has its downsides and causes some harm. I just feel that generally nonviolent religions do more good than harm, and that cases of abuse can be found in any aspect of society. Look at poker. Plenty of (true) horror stories of how poker ruins lives, but nobody here feels that poker's existence is a bad thing.

I feel it's a simplistic view to just state, "Religion is bad, the less we have, the better", because it's a complicated issue, and then there's also the issue of what replaces it.
    See becoming a Catholic priest-women

Load Metric

States with abstinence-only education correlate higher with teen pregnancy. Nobody argues this.

'Having nothing to do' is not an argument for more unsafe fucking. Teens fucking is lower across the board (due to a confluence of variables) but they get knocked up in the retarded states at a much higher clip.

While I've actually shifted my feelings on abortion toward a more pro-life perspective since having a child, I still think women should be able to access them in the early stages of pregnancy. I definitely don't think there should be barriers to access contraception. If women want to be sky wizard priests, they should be able to. Christians in Africa still practice genital mutilation on girls. Purity balls reinforce backward notions of morality. Higher rates of domestic abuse, etc. I don't know what the Jew book says but take a look at the bible for reference.

You think it's a positive thing to live your life in accordance with a lie? That's an incredibly depressing sentiment. People can be taught morality without the threat of a supernatural megalomaniac who purports to love you banishing your soul to eternal damnation.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Religion ain’t bad for you as long as you don’t take it too seriously. It’s the fanatics who give it a bad name. If I had to attend church regularly, 100% it would be a black Baptist one:

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I just cant hold back, so I want to once again address a point I made a while back in a different thread...

The more posts that I see from Desertrunner, the more I increasingly become convinced that this is really a dupe account - and if that is true, it would be most probable that it was from DesertDruff. Edit: excuse me, DanDruff.

Yes, perhaps I just have my tinfoil hat on here, but I see obvious (at least to me) but subtle signs.

In a real world, I'd love to hear how a genuine forensic analyst would chime in on something like this (along with a few other suspect dupes) and give his technical analysis. I bet it would be interesting.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

States with abstinence-only education correlate higher with teen pregnancy. Nobody argues this.

'Having nothing to do' is not an argument for more unsafe fucking. Teens fucking is lower across the board (due to a confluence of variables) but they get knocked up in the retarded states at a much higher clip.

While I've actually shifted my feelings on abortion toward a more pro-life perspective since having a child, I still think women should be able to access them in the early stages of pregnancy. I definitely don't think there should be barriers to access contraception. If women want to be sky wizard priests, they should be able to. Christians in Africa still practice genital mutilation on girls. Purity balls reinforce backward notions of morality. Higher rates of domestic abuse, etc. I don't know what the Jew book says but take a look at the bible for reference.

You think it's a positive thing to live your life in accordance with a lie? That's an incredibly depressing sentiment. People can be taught morality without the threat of a supernatural megalomaniac who purports to love you banishing your soul to eternal damnation.
    If I'm walking down a dark alley at 2am, and a guy is considering mugging me, but decides not to do it because he's afraid God is watching him and he'll go to hell for it, then his faith has done society a favor. Whether or not you believe in his God is irrelevant. His religion has led to better behavior toward his fellow man. The reason for this behavior doesn't matter.

You can teach your children the morality you want. If that is absent of religion, that's fine. However, if others want to bring their family up with a religious upbringing in order to help instill morality in them, it's also fine, provided it doesn't become fanaticism.

You're stretching now if you have to bring up "Christians in Africa". There's tons of fucked up stuff in Africa, regardless of religion or lack thereof.

The number of Christians who want to deny contraception to people is fairly low. You hear about them more because they're controversial, and an easy target. Most Christians live normal lives not dominated by religious craziness or super-antiquated values.

I think you are misunderstanding the reason for the high early pregnancy rate in small towns. It's not because of abstinence education or opposition to contraception. Young people there often see little opportunity and little future, so they do have sex earlier, and are less careful because they don't see a pregnancy as the end of the world. If you're a girl with plans to go to college and start a professional career, it's a disaster to get pregnant at 18. If your plans are to work at Walmart for the rest of your life, then a baby at 18 starts to look the same as a baby at 25. Thus, there's a higher level of caution exercised by kids in the city and suburbs. Also, abortions in the city and suburbs happen more frequently for the same reason. Marriages also happen at a much younger age in small towns, for similar reasons.

I used to tell a joke about small-town Nevada back when I lived in Vegas:

"What do you call a girl in Fallon who is 21 and has no children?"

"An old maid."

Load Metric

Thread Information