Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Religion declining at rapid pace in the US.

Load Metric

Religion declining at rapid pace in the US.

Comments

JimmyG_415: 100%

nunbeater: I'll give credit where it's due

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    Starting to think desertrunner is actually just a Druff dupe =) lmao...

Load Metric
    Druff is Jewish, Desertrunner hates religion, not the same.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Actually, garrett, I'm going to disagree with desertrunner here.

There has been a general media and popular culture assault on religion lately. Religious people have been painted as dumb rubes at best, and evil hypocrites at worst.

Even if you don't believe in God or other higher power, religion does have its benefits for society as a whole:

1) Provides a moral framework for people to follow. While there are hypocrites who don't practice what they preach, for the most part religion keeps people behaving better than they would otherwise. And while there are a few antiquated elements of religious morality which don't translate well to today's society (such as views on homosexuality), most of it is timeless -- instructing people not to lie, cheat, steal, commit adultery, etc. Again, many religious people don't stick to all of this constantly, but I believe this moral code does provide some overall behavioral benefit to society.

2) Provides a consequence for behaving poorly. If you fear living an afterlife in hell or some other unpleasant place, you have an extra obstacle in the way before behaving really badly. If your only fear of horrible behavior is being caught, it's easier to bring yourself to do really bad things.

3) Provides a sense of community. Many religious people have most of their social lives and activities via their religious organization.

4) Provides charity. Many charities have a religious basis to them. There would be much less charity if there were no religion.

5) What replaces it might be worse. Human being have a need to belong and be part of something greater than themselves. Religion used to fill that need. As it's been on the decline, people have replaced it with harmful activities, and I believe much of the current political extremism is a result of the absence of religion. Politics has become religion to some people, even if they don't realize it.

Comments

IamGreek:

splitthis:

garrett: =).. nice

Load Metric
    I straight up do not care for, endorse or support religion.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    Three thousand years of beautiful history from Moses to Sandy Koufax, you're goddamn right I'm living in the fucking past!

But in all seriousness I'm glad to see this too.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric

This should be Druff’s avatar, even looks like him...

Last edited by desertrunner; 01-24-2021 at 05:44 PM.

Load Metric
    I am sad for the nonbelievers. You are missing a lot.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    GOD IS GOD

Load Metric
    If God wanted Trump to be President.

Then there is no God.

Load Metric
    Trump is not a Jew and he doesn't give a shit about Jews.

Load Metric

Quote Originally Posted by splitthis View Post
    I am sad for the nonbelievers. You are missing a lot.
    For me, I already tried religion (forced on me) at age 5-10 and just hated it. I was an intelligent child that figured things out quickly using logic and reasoning that there was no Santa Clause, tooth fairy or god.

As for the religious crowd, they’re always trying to force religion back on me and just can’t respect my rights, views and freedom as well. On top of that, they can not prove any part of religion as well. If you want me to believe, give me real PROOF and not just words. I just don’t have time for fake stuff.
    Last edited by desertrunner; 01-25-2021 at 08:16 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

There has been a general media and popular culture assault on religion lately. Religious people have been painted as dumb rubes at best, and evil hypocrites at worst.

Even if you don't believe in God or other higher power, religion does have its benefits for society as a whole:

1) Provides a moral framework for people to follow. While there are hypocrites who don't practice what they preach, for the most part religion keeps people behaving better than they would otherwise. And while there are a few antiquated elements of religious morality which don't translate well to today's society (such as views on homosexuality), most of it is timeless -- instructing people not to lie, cheat, steal, commit adultery, etc. Again, many religious people don't stick to all of this constantly, but I believe this moral code does provide some overall behavioral benefit to society.

2) Provides a consequence for behaving poorly. If you fear living an afterlife in hell or some other unpleasant place, you have an extra obstacle in the way before behaving really badly. If your only fear of horrible behavior is being caught, it's easier to bring yourself to do really bad things.

3) Provides a sense of community. Many religious people have most of their social lives and activities via their religious organization.

4) Provides charity. Many charities have a religious basis to them. There would be much less charity if there were no religion.

5) What replaces it might be worse. Human being have a need to belong and be part of something greater than themselves. Religion used to fill that need. As it's been on the decline, people have replaced it with harmful activities, and I believe much of the current political extremism is a result of the absence of religion. Politics has become religion to some people, even if they don't realize it.
    Religion has been, and remains to be, the most destructive force throughout human history with plague coming in second.

It keeps people stupid and simple, has hindered scientific advancement since the beginning of time, is the ultimate tool for prejudice and division, is the fuel behind a majority of historical atrocities.

It may prevent flyover trash from the meth pipe or helsing but on a societal level it remains unadulterated poison.

See: Uighur muslims in China, Islam in general, conflicts in Africa, intelligent design in schools, abstinence only education in America, oppression of women, abuse of children by priests, etc.

It should be classified as a mental illness: imagine describing belief in an omnipotent sky wizard to a grown up that didn't grow up in such an idiotic paradigm.

Comments

desertrunner: NAILED IT

Walter Sobchak: bazinga
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

Religion has been, and remains to be, the most destructive force throughout human history with plague coming in second.

It keeps people stupid and simple, has hindered scientific advancement since the beginning of time, is the ultimate tool for prejudice and division, is the fuel behind a majority of historical atrocities.

It may prevent flyover trash from the meth pipe or helsing but on a societal level it remains unadulterated poison.

See: Uighur muslims in China, Islam in general, conflicts in Africa, intelligent design in schools, abstinence only education in America, oppression of women, abuse of children by priests, etc.

It should be classified as a mental illness: imagine describing belief in an omnipotent sky wizard to a grown up that didn't grow up in such an idiotic paradigm.

Youre actually probably one of the more intelligent posters on this board, ive thought over time. To hear you say this, clearly genuine, is very interesting to me. And not bad either way, just interesting in that and you clearly aren't a dum B imo =)

Load Metric

What replaces it might be worse.
    There is religion and then there are religious institutions.

I did the whole Jesuit Prep school thing so my card is punched. You have no idea. The Jews and the Catholics are swell with education.

I can tell you a thing or two about the popes over the past 2000 years. Cruelty and greed like you can’t imagine.

We all can cite most of the wars over history.

This summer I did the dive into Hitler’s retirement home in Argentina thing. Fun. The Catholic ratlines for the Nazi alum was something that surprised even me. Just amazing.

Load Metric

Load Metric
    I also agree with both Druff and Sloppy Joe itt. That's a rare one.

I have no problem with people who choose to follow a certain religion. I enjoy playing video games. Kind of the same thing. Role playing in a fantasy. Whatever, I get it.

It's the wackjobs who treat their religious texts like factual history that can go suck on a tailpipe. Luckily the numbers of those are decreasing. If you're too dumb to understand that Jesus = the sun (in the sky)....you should not be making any important decisions in society.

Comments

garrett: =)... "Jesus = the sun in the sky.."

desertrunner: Also nailed it.

Load Metric

This is such a perfect time in the thread, I'm going to go all in and list a few additional things below...

Sloppy Joe nailed it on all points. I need to buy him a beer.

There are two types of people in this world- intelligent and non intelligent. Intelligence is something you're born with, education is what you get from school. Most if not all of the members on this board are poker players and in my opinion, poker players are intelligent and not dumb. So in summary, I'm guessing most poker players are not religious thus 2+2=4.

Over my long life and career, about 99% of the religious people I know are "off" in one way or another, typically in a small way, not big.

Religion is indeed a "mental illness". If you have to believe in fake or false people you have never met before, then you might have an issue.To believe in something you have never witnessed before, cant explain or cant prove, you need to look at yourself and ponder this. THE FLIP SIDE OF THE COIN- If it is true or believable and you can prove it to me, I am all ears and eyes and will let you prove you case. I will give you an honest chance.

Druff listed above a few ideals and standards that religion brings. You can have ALL of those without religion. You just need to embrace your inner self, find your inner moral compass and improve yourself. I can attest to this because I have done it myself. I am a good person and citizen without religion.

I have told people in the past- Take the "No religion challenge" for 30 days. Seriously remove God and religion from your life for 30 solid days and get back to me and tell me/us the difference. What changed for you really and be honest with me and yourself? Mostly likely the answer will always be nothing. If you really did it, you had more of a clear head and was able to better focus on life.

I often tell people- think of you life as a plate in front of you. The more junk you put on that plate (marriage, family, money, kids, bills, house, friends, health, religion, social media, etc), the more streee you'll deal with. I choose to have more of a "clean plate" in front of me and I will swear up and down and too your face- IT WORKS. Remove that religion from your plate and you'll a major difference.

People need "Hope" in this world and find it in religion. The churches feast and capitalize on this and that's how they make so much money, they sell hope to people. Yes, some day I do not want to die either, but just because I am told there is a (made up) after life, suddenly I got hope and God will provide me forever....just put some money now on the collection plate.

Religious nuts scare me, for real. They do not give up and keep coming after you over and over. This is one of the reasons I own firearms, seriously. If you cant leave me alone and stop forcing your ideals on me, I will defend myself.

Lastly, Ive caught alot of crap on this board because I like and support Trump. But I never claimed to be "Alt Right" or "right winged". As you know, the right is all about religion and obviously I am not. So when Trump or the Right talks religion, I am obviously not there with them.

The above is all my opinion and based on real life experience and testing, nothing is made up, fantasy or speculation.

Keep religion out of government, all levels, including the counties. Look at this picture from Nye County, Nevada. The Board of Commissioners put this on their chamber wall WITHOUT the consent of the local citizens and using taxpayer dollars. Just because you are conservative, doesnt mean you get to force you views on me and not abuse your power in local gov...

Me- I want to live a full life, not get married, date women with some to no commitment, eat good food, play poker and BJ, travel, shoot guns, desert run with dirt toys, desert camp, do flashlights and party in Vegas as much as I can. I can do and accomplish all of that without religion. You can be a "poor man's Dan Blizerian" without posting it on social media and bragging.
    Last edited by desertrunner; 01-25-2021 at 07:51 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Hilarious.
    The ultimate long con.

Comments

desertrunner: Keeps nailing it.

Load Metric
    Religion isn't declining. One religion is being replaced by another gayer one.

Thread Information