Thread: Anyone else have their computer suddenly unable to adjust brightness?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Anyone else have their computer suddenly unable to adjust brightness?

Woke up about 6am today with the same terrible headache I went to sleep with. Turned on the computer but obviously couldn't handle a bright screen in my face. Attempted to turn down the brightness, and.... nothing. It showed the brightness was going down, but the screen remained at top brightness. This is an HP laptop, btw.

As recently as 2 days ago, I turned down the brightness with no issue.

I tried figuring out my own solution and failed. I tried reading websites about the problem, and nothing was helpful. I tried installing the latest driver for my graphics card from the HP website, and laughably it claimed it wasn't compatible with this version of Windows (???)

I looked at the existing driver dates of both the Intel Display and NVIDIA graphics drivers, and neither had been updated since the fall.

Out of options, I decided to run a Windows system restore to January 11. Computer restarted, and my brightness works again. Yay! So for now, everything is okay. However, I have a feeling the next Windows update is going to fuck this up again.

Anyone else experience anything similar?

Load Metric
    Dan Druff's New Year's Resolutions

STOP eating shit

STOP backing Trump

STOP buying cheap computers

Load Metric
    I use f.lux on all my computers and phone/tablet, it allows you to adjust brightness, and colors, making them warmer and less blue. also you can set your location and it'll adjust based on where the sun is in the sky (day/night)

Comments

Dan Druff:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post
    I use f.lux on all my computers and phone/tablet, it allows you to adjust brightness, and colors, making them warmer and less blue. also you can set your location and it'll adjust based on where the sun is in the sky (day/night)
    Thanks. I had this on my last computer but forgot the name of it.

Something like that was going to be my next attempt if the restore point didn't work. Now I'm curious if that tool would have worked, or if Windows fucked something up with the ability to adjust the brightness via any means.

It's definitely some kind of software/driver issue, because the restore point fixed it. I'm just wondering what the culprit is. I am suspecting the last Windows update fucked something up.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post
    Thanks. I had this on my last computer but forgot the name of it.

Something like that was going to be my next attempt if the restore point didn't work. Now I'm curious if that tool would have worked, or if Windows fucked something up with the ability to adjust the brightness via any means.

It's definitely some kind of software/driver issue, because the restore point fixed it. I'm just wondering what the culprit is. I am suspecting the last Windows update fucked something up.
    was it a huge deal to go back to previous point?(not in terms of getting it done, but like did you have to do more after the restore to bring it back to where you were)or no big deal, that would've tilted the fuck out of me

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    No, I hadn't changed much on my computer since January 11, and the restore doesn't erase any of my data -- only restores Windows and its settings to what it was on that date. I do believe any program I installed since 1/11 will need to be reinstalled, but that's no big deal, as I don't think I installed much since then.

Comments

dwai: word

Load Metric
    Druff, it wasn’t the computer, you left your new flashlight on in the room.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    For a minute I really thought this thread was a level.

I shit you not, I clicked on the thread and when it opened, the brightness went really low. I was scratching my head trying to figure out what the hell you did, and then i scrolled the bottom and one of those browser messages "open with tapatalk or continue using with Chrome" was there. Obv clicked "continue" and it was back to normal. I haven't had that happen on this site before.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post
    For a minute I really thought this thread was a level.

I shit you not, I clicked on the thread and when it opened, the brightness went really low. I was scratching my head trying to figure out what the hell you did, and then i scrolled the bottom and one of those browser messages "open with tapatalk or continue using with Chrome" was there. Obv clicked "continue" and it was back to normal. I haven't had that happen on this site before.
    Oh I just updated the Tapatalk plugin about 2 hours ago.

What a fail. I see it coming up for me, too.

I'm not tolerating this crap. Sadly I just deleted the older version of the Tapatalk plugin, figuring it was just bug fixes or whatever.

I'll remove Tapatalk before I allow this BS.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Info regarding the Tapatalk intrusiveness: https://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sh...Tapatalk-popup

I think I fixed it.

Thread Information