Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Senate trial of Donald J. Trump for “Inciting an Erection... Insurrection” of the United States”

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeycrimm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

Even Mitch McConnell blames Trump for inciting the riot.

Why would McConnell make such a “divisive” public statement? Certainly not a “unifying” one. Or is McConnell now a secret Democrat???
    McConnell is a secret Trump hater. He wants Trump out of the way. But he will destroy the republican party in the process. Even if trump is barred from ever being president again he will still have the biggest voice in the republican party. Trump supporters will go where Trump goes. You might even see a third party. In that case the republican party is doomed. Right now McConnell is the most dangerous man in the republican party. He has the wherewithall to destroy it. And he might even do it to spite the nose on his face.
    The GOP is eating itself from the inside out and imploding much like the party it succeeded in the 1850s the Whig party which imploded just prior to the Civil War in the 1850s. McConnell actually has family connections via having one sitting on the board of directors at a bank in China. (Did we mention McConnell is married to a Chinese woman?? Yep not suspicious at all) McConnell at this point doesn’t give a shit he’s not running again after his last election in November. He’s the same age as Biden he knows his time is running out.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post

McConnell is a cuck his nuts are in Schumer’s office. That being said

Anybody who’s actually read the Constitution and studied government knows the articles passed in the House became legally moot 12 Noon on Jan 20. The Constitution delineates in the Impeachement procedure it only applies to a sitting President. Had this not been the case they could have and would’ve easy done so to Richard Nixon. The pardon by Ford held zero weight to impeachment to revoke his federal benefits as well as his pension for his remaining life. There is zero legal basis to proceed and even the COJ John Robert’s would likely agree.
    Wanna bet?
    I would suggest you read this first regarding the basis and facts for impeachment within England vs the USA which used limited basis for Impeachment. The opinion comes from Cornell University Law School. It clearly states it limited to current office holders not past. https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitu...-4/impeachment

Comments

desertrunner:

Load Metric
    I would suggest you read this first regarding the basis and facts for impeachment within England vs the USA which used limited basis for Impeachment. The opinion comes from Cornell University Law School. It clearly states it limited to current office holders not past. https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitu...-4/impeachment
    I might be missing something since I didn't read every word, but it seems like that link confirms that a president can still be tried even if they are not currently in office.

From the section about Nixons impeachment:

For the first time in more than a hundred years,883 Congress moved to impeach the President of the United States, a move forestalled only by the resignation of President Nixon on August 9, 1974.
    And the beginning of the second footnote from that sentence:

The President’s resignation did not necessarily require dismissal of the impeachment charges. Judgment upon conviction can include disqualification as well as removal. Art. I, § 3, cl. 7. Precedent from the 1876 impeachment of Secretary of War William Belknap, who had resigned prior to his impeachment by the House, suggests that impeachment can proceed even after a resignation.
    So there's precedent for the Senate to impeach an executive branch official after he left office, with the reasoning being you can't avoid conviction and possibly being blocked from running for office again by leaving office.

Comments

MumblesBadly: ftpjesus makes an own-goal by providing that link. LOL!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Wanna bet?
    It makes as much sense as presidential pardons for convicted criminals. Zero chance Trump or any president took a minute to consider any case. It's a farce. Your society is a farce

Congratulations

Too much dumb. What can you do?

I love it when die hard patriots refer to English law.
    Red neck geeks where the fuck do you think you come from?

Comments

desertrunner: Desertrunner is really Druff.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    I might be missing something since I didn't read every word, but it seems like that link confirms that a president can still be tried even if they are not currently in office.

From the section about Nixons impeachment:

For the first time in more than a hundred years,883 Congress moved to impeach the President of the United States, a move forestalled only by the resignation of President Nixon on August 9, 1974.
    And the beginning of the second footnote from that sentence:

The President’s resignation did not necessarily require dismissal of the impeachment charges. Judgment upon conviction can include disqualification as well as removal. Art. I, § 3, cl. 7. Precedent from the 1876 impeachment of Secretary of War William Belknap, who had resigned prior to his impeachment by the House, suggests that impeachment can proceed even after a resignation.
    So there's precedent for the Senate to impeach an executive branch official after he left office, with the reasoning being you can't avoid conviction and possibly being blocked from running for office again by leaving office.
    I don’t think you missed anything. FTP Jesus is a nut case mental midget.
    Dumbest of the dumb.
    Don't respond to this wacko

Comments

Walter Sobchak: Simple but inescapable conclusion

Load Metric

Comments

splitthis:

FRANKRIZZO:

Load Metric
    "You can't handle the truth".

Load Metric
    The more I think of this thing the bigger loser it looks like to me.

I can’t think of a single reason to move forward with the impeachment. Any way I look at it, it’s really bad politics for the Dems in my opinion.

They won’t win.

You’re going to at best get 3 or 4 GOP senators who are even open to it for real. Those people are going to be the most reasonable GOP Senators that you would prefer don’t get primaried next opportunity.

If you don’t have 67, which they certainly don’t, you’re putting the onus on the very small handful of GOP senators to vote their conscious and commit political suicide in a losing effort. They’d be stupid to do that unless they’re retiring anyway. You wouldn’t even want them to for some political stunt. Those are the few you might be able to reach out to when Manchin goes rogue on some issue.

Right now, anywhere I can find Trump die hards, they are talking about getting rid of all the establishment Republicans who betrayed Trump. They hate Biden, but they already did, and right now they’re angrier at the GOP establishment.

The whole party is in disarray and face the real chance of Trump continuing to target them at his whim. That will be much harder once they are on CNN for a week defending Trump.

I actually think Mitch is trying to sucker the Dems into thinking they have a shot when they have absolutely no shot.

It serves his agenda from every direction. 1-Dems don’t have the numbers and he knows it. 2-His party is in disarray and he has to worry about all his establishment guys getting primaried from the Trump wing 3-He does care about stopping anything Biden puts forth and Biden failing. 4-He’s likely at the end of his career and I believe will vote to not impeach at the end of the day himself.

There is nothing that can quell a Republican civil war quicker and more effectively than Schumer and a bunch of libtards putting on a show and going way overboard playing to their base and demonizing Trump and his supporters who feel abandoned already, and then allowing them to watch the entirety of the sitting GOP senate have Trumps back. Instant unity.

As it stands, everyone not a MAGA die hard already blames Trump and knows he threw red meat to a bunch of mentally unstable loons and caused a riot. That’s already a win. Going forward with the Senate impeachment circus will just appear to acquit him and give him a victory when he’s already lost in any way that matters.

You want Trump angry at the GOP and the threat of a third party. When they all fall in line with Trump and vote no to impeach, you make it much harder for that to gain any traction.

You’ll just be giving a platform to a bunch of guys right now viewed as RINOs by MAGA nation an opportunity to defend him publicly and fall on their swords.

It’s a compete gift to allow them to pander to Trumps base as it’s a hill they can easily die on without having to condone the riot. Trumps gone. It’s a gray area in a constitutional sense. He did his usual walk right up to the line, but not clearly cross it thing in that speech before the riot.

His words are ambiguous enough to give them cover to vote no. He said to walk to the Capitol and “peacefully and patriotically make your voice heard.” He said fight after and they got the real message, but it’s ambiguous enough where the Marco Rubios of the world will relish the chance to defend Trump publicly on the issue without appearing like Q tards.

After that, it will embolden them to just fight anything Biden tries to get through even harder once they feel comfortable and they’ll just try to keep running out the clock until 2022 without as much concern of being taken out by friendly fire on the right.

Much more effective for the Dems to let the actual defendants who stormed the Capitol come to court for months on end and lay the blame on Trump and say they thought they were doing what their president asked of them.

Smartest political move would be for Biden and Schumer to schedule a press conference and have Schumer say he was prepared to move full steam ahead with impeachment proceedings but that the President asked him to drop it for the sake of the country so that we can concentrate on Covid and passing the stimulus for those hit so hard by pandemic and get the country back on track. Why give them a fight they’re literally begging for?

Dems aren’t that good at politics though, so I expect a circus that will fail.

Comments

IamGreek:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

I can’t think of a single reason to move forward with the impeachment. Any way I look at it, it’s really bad politics for the Dems in my opinion.

They won’t win.

You’re going to at best get 3 or 4 GOP senators who are even open to it for real. Those people are going to be the most reasonable GOP Senators that you would prefer don’t get primaried next opportunity.

If you don’t have 67, which they certainly don’t, you’re putting the onus on the very small handful of GOP senators to vote their conscious and commit political suicide in a losing effort. They’d be stupid to do that unless they’re retiring anyway. You wouldn’t even want them to for some political stunt. Those are the few you might be able to reach out to when Manchin goes rogue on some issue.

Right now, anywhere I can find Trump die hards, they are talking about getting rid of all the establishment Republicans who betrayed Trump. They hate Biden, but they already did, and right now they’re angrier at the GOP establishment.

The whole party is in disarray and face the real chance of Trump continuing to target them at his whim. That will be much harder once they are on CNN for a week defending Trump.

I actually think Mitch is trying to sucker the Dems into thinking they have a shot when they have absolutely no shot.

It serves his agenda from every direction. 1-Dems don’t have the numbers and he knows it. 2-His party is in disarray and he has to worry about all his establishment guys getting primaried from the Trump wing 3-He does care about stopping anything Biden puts forth and Biden failing. 4-He’s likely at the end of his career and I believe will vote to not impeach at the end of the day himself.

There is nothing that can quell a Republican civil war quicker and more effectively than Schumer and a bunch of libtards putting on a show and going way overboard playing to their base and demonizing Trump and his supporters who feel abandoned already, and then allowing them to watch the entirety of the sitting GOP senate have Trumps back. Instant unity.

As it stands, everyone not a MAGA die hard already blames Trump and knows he threw red meat to a bunch of mentally unstable loons and caused a riot. That’s already a win. Going forward with the Senate impeachment circus will just appear to acquit him and give him a victory when he’s already lost in any way that matters.

You want Trump angry at the GOP and the threat of a third party. When they all fall in line with Trump and vote no to impeach, you make it much harder for that to gain any traction.

You’ll just be giving a platform to a bunch of guys right now viewed as RINOs by MAGA nation an opportunity to defend him publicly and fall on their swords.

It’s a compete gift to allow them to pander to Trumps base as it’s a hill they can easily die on without having to condone the riot. Trumps gone. It’s a gray area in a constitutional sense. He did his usual walk right up to the line, but not clearly cross it thing in that speech before the riot.

His words are ambiguous enough to give them cover to vote no. He said to walk to the Capitol and “peacefully and patriotically make your voice heard.” He said fight after and they got the real message, but it’s ambiguous enough where the Marco Rubios of the world will relish the chance to defend Trump publicly on the issue without appearing like Q tards.

After that, it will embolden them to just fight anything Biden tries to get through even harder once they feel comfortable and they’ll just try to keep running out the clock until 2022 without as much concern of being taken out by friendly fire on the right.

Much more effective for the Dems to let the actual defendants who stormed the Capitol come to court for months on end and lay the blame on Trump and say they thought they were doing what their president asked of them.

Smartest political move would be for Biden and Schumer to schedule a press conference and have Schumer say he was prepared to move full steam ahead with impeachment proceedings but that the President asked him to drop it for the sake of the country so that we can concentrate on Covid and passing the stimulus for those hit so hard by pandemic and get the country back on track. Why give them a fight they’re literally begging for?

McConnell wants Trump DQed from 2024 and wants to stick it to him generally. If McConnell votes to convict he can pull a dozen along with him.

The Democrats' mistake was delaying the trial. It should have been held immediately ASAP after the impeachment when people were still shocked, angry and shaken. You have to capture the moment.

Also, the Senate cannot drop an impeachment. Once an article has been sent from the House, the Senate must hold a trial and a vote.

Comments

Cerveza Fria: Pretty damn good analysis. I think McConnel wants a long drawn out trial. It just delays things and removes Trump from 2022 Midterms

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric

They won’t win.

McConnell wants Trump DQed from 2024 and wants to stick it to him generally. If McConnell votes to convict he can pull a dozen along with him.

The Democrats' mistake was delaying the trial. It should have been held immediately ASAP after the impeachment when people were still shocked, angry and shaken. You have to capture the moment.

Also, the Senate cannot drop an impeachment. Once an article has been sent from the House, the Senate must hold a trial and a vote.

I think there is no prayer they can get to 67 in any way, and if they can’t, I can’t think of a reason why any senator who isn’t retiring would ever vote for it. I simply don’t believe Mitch is really on board. It would burn his party down.

Yeah, I just mean kill it. I know it has to come up now. No arguments, just drop it and party line vote it out or say Biden prefers to move on. It’s a loser politically imo, but there is a win in there to just appear above it.

If he had any time left, sure, but the GOP is a real mess and they should just kick the can on this one and let it go. I really feel it would backfire and don’t want to throw them a lifeline. Chaos is our friend here, not GOP unity .

Load Metric

They won’t win.

Smartest political move would be for Biden and Schumer to schedule a press conference and have Schumer say he was prepared to move full steam ahead with impeachment proceedings but that the President asked him to drop it for the sake of the country so that we can concentrate on Covid and passing the stimulus for those hit so hard by pandemic and get the country back on track. Why give them a fight they’re literally begging for? Awful.

There’s a plus to delaying for a bit separate form given the Dems time to approve Biden Cabinet nominees: There’s some more time for info damaging to Trump to come out to be presented at the trial and in the media before the Senate votes.atwo examples:

Trump Rally Organizers Received Millions From Re-Election Campaign Before Capitol Riot
    https://www.newsweek.com/trump-rally...l-riot-1563818

Evidence from social media platform Parler shows crowds at the Capitol listening to Trump and others speaking at the rally.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric

Yes. The U.S. Senate will vote to convict Trump with over 51 votes, 67 votes is probably not possible. 51 is enough to prevent Trump from ever running for President again.

Donald Trump is the worst U.S. President in history and he has become a domestic terrorist. The worst threat to democracy the country has ever faced.

Comments

adamantium: fucking A

dwai: TheXRetard

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post

Yes. The U.S. Senate will vote to convict Trump with over 51 votes, 67 votes is probably not possible. 51 is enough to prevent Trump from ever running for President again.

Donald Trump is the worst U.S. President in history and he has become a domestic terrorist. The worst threat to democracy the country has ever faced.

The problem for the Dems (and GOPers who want to constitutionally prevent Trump from running for Prez again) is that the Senate must first convict him on the impeachment charge before being able to vote to bar him from holding office again.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by IamGreek View Post
    Most unifying thing Dems could do. Really? Not to mention unconstitutional but hey they never learned to be smart. i.e. Shutdown Keystone and add 1,000s to unemployment rolls; Stop ALL deportations including criminals; open the borders to who knows how many Covid carriers and criminals. I don't want to pay $4 a gallon for gas, or crime increase any further, or wear a mask for the rest of my goddamn life! I can live with the other stuff even if I don't agree with it. But those 3 things are downright stupid and indefensible imo. They can't see that impeachment only enflames 74 million voters. But they can't get past getting their revenge and dividing the country further and for what purpose? Just so he can't run again? Certainly anyone they put up in 2024 would clean his clock if a fraile and confused Biden could. In the words of famous Forrest Gump--"Stupid is as stupid does".
    You are so money.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post

The problem for the Dems (and GOPers who want to constitutionally prevent Trump from running for Prez again) is that the Senate must first convict him on the impeachment charge before being able to vote to bar him from holding office again.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric

They won’t win.

This news story jives very well with what you posit here.

Most Senate Republicans back measure saying Trump impeachment trial is unconstitutional
    Trump's status as a former president has led to disagreement over the constitutionality of the trial.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...ll-be-n1255686

The motion, from Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., was defeated by a vote of 55-45, showing Democrats have an uphill climb of securing the 67 votes needed for a conviction. Among those who voted for Paul's motion was Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, who's said he's undecided on whether to convict Trump and who worked on the trial calendar with Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer.

Load Metric
    How can you impeach someone who is no longer the president?

Comments

TheXFactor: TWICE.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANKRIZZO View Post
    How can you impeach someone who is no longer the president?
    From the news article I linked above:

[quote][B]ecause the Constitution says “judgment in cases of impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any office of honor, trust or profit under the United States."

Meaning, that portion of the Constitution allows for impeachment that results in (1) removal from office OR (2) disqualification from holding office again, as well as loss of retirement benefits. The GOPtards like Rand Paul are selectively ignoring that part of those clause. The importance of these clauses is that they restrict the type of penalty a Senate conviction could impose on guilty. For example, a conviction in such a trial CANNOT result in the guilty party being sentenced to prison or given a fine of some kind in addition to the loss of benefits.

Load Metric
    [QUOTE=MumblesBadly;958490]From the news article I linked above:

[B]ecause the Constitution says “judgment in cases of impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any office of honor, trust or profit under the United States."

Meaning, that portion of the Constitution allows for impeachment that results in (1) removal from office OR (2) disqualification from holding office again, as well as loss of retirement benefits. The GOPtards like Rand Paul are selectively ignoring that part of those clause. The importance of these clauses is that they restrict the type of penalty a Senate conviction could impose on guilty. For example, a conviction in such a trial CANNOT result in the guilty party being sentenced to prison or given a fine of some kind in addition to the loss of benefits.

Funny how you changed the "and" to "or" for the sake of argument in your own post. Busted.

That being said, I'm not convinced one way OR the other as to the Constitutionality of this Impeachment. I think there are good arguments on both sides of the issue.

Thread Information