Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Sox dumping $154 Million on Dodgers. Valentine wins battle

Silver
    Load Metric

Red Sox dumping $154 Million on Dodgers. Valentine wins battle

LOL, guess who runs the Red Sox now? It ain't Dustin Pedrioa

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...it-sources-say

Load Metric
    Never gonna happen. Somebody will claim and block.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post

Listening online now and sounds like its done. Good luck LA Dodgers fans, you just inherited the equvilant of the Mets. In fact, you can probably pick up Johan Santana

Load Metric
    Dodgers already claimed both Gonzalez and Beckett. Lol, If all 4 of those guys go in the deal, this (along with Hanley, Victorino, League and Blanton) would have to be a record for amount of salary taken on mid-season by a team.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...ockbuster.html

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieBensonFan View Post

I hope they get Gonzalez, but I don't like them wasting so much money on highly questionable players (Crawford, Beckett).

First base is a dreadful hole for the Dodgers right now. They rotate between crappy James Loney and crappy Juan Rivera. And this is supposed to be a hitter's position.

I wouldn't call the Gonzalez part dumping. Gonzalez has hit .338 and .300 in the last two years, respectively, and has a .294 lifetime batting average. Plus, he is averaging about 30 home runs per year in his first 7 full-time seasons, and is only 30.

Maybe the 7 year, 154-million contract was a bit of an overpayment, but not by that much.

Carl Crawford is the bigger problem. He is in the second of 7 years on his contract, which is worth $142 million. I don't know if he'll be the same when he comes back from the DL. That's a pretty big risk.

Beckett has been terrible this year, but is in the second yeah of a 4 year, $68 million contract, and would be a smaller risk.

Nick Punto is only making $1.5 million and is irrelevant, money-wise.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    By the way, everyone the Dodgers have acquired so far in 2012 has been a failure, with the exception of Hanley Ramirez.

Victorino has sucked, Blanton has sucked, and the two crappy relievers they picked up have sucked.

Load Metric

Listening online now and sounds like its done. Good luck LA Dodgers fans, you just inherited the equvilant of the Mets. In fact, you can probably pick up Johan Santana
    Yeah. If the Dodgers give up anything of significance in return this trade is a huge steal for the Sox (unless the Sox throw in a SHITLOAD of money as well). It's a get-out-of-jail-free-card from Theo's "fuck-it" signing spree.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

Yeah. If the Dodgers give up anything of significance in return this trade is a huge steal for the Sox (unless the Sox throw in a SHITLOAD of money as well). It's a get-out-of-jail-free-card from Theo's "fuck-it" signing spree.
    Carl Crawford's signing was one of those nonsensical big-money contracts inspired by Jayson Werth.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I hope they get Gonzalez, but I don't like them wasting so much money on highly questionable players (Crawford, Beckett).

First base is a dreadful hole for the Dodgers right now. They rotate between crappy James Loney and crappy Juan Rivera. And this is supposed to be a hitter's position.

I wouldn't call the Gonzalez part dumping. Gonzalez has hit .338 and .300 in the last two years, respectively, and has a .294 lifetime batting average. Plus, he is averaging about 30 home runs per year in his first 7 full-time seasons, and is only 30.

Maybe the 7 year, 154-million contract was a bit of an overpayment, but not by that much.

Carl Crawford is the bigger problem. He is in the second of 7 years on his contract, which is worth $142 million. I don't know if he'll be the same when he comes back from the DL. That's a pretty big risk.

Beckett has been terrible this year, but is in the second yeah of a 4 year, $68 million contract, and would be a smaller risk.

I heard Crawford won't be able to play the field until June or so next year. In the NL, that means he won't be playing, period. What a waste.

Load Metric

How I see it, is Gonzalez is the only one the Dodgers want (maybe Punto), and the Sox are trying to unload the other 2. Dodgers put the claim on Beckett though also, so maybe they view him as a Hanley/needing a change of scenery type guy. But he has looked awful this year.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

Carl Crawford's signing was one of those nonsensical big-money contracts inspired by Jayson Werth.
    He was MUCH better than Werth with a pretty good track record for the Rays. Nobody follows the Rays so people don't realize is worth.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Not to arm chair QB here, but I knew something was up when BV said he was not used to not bringing up players from the farm system, in that he came from the minor leagues as a manager. I immediately thought a house cleaning, but then I was like, no way, its freaking Boston. Sorry for the 2X negatives but typing fast.

What is the payroll now for the Dodgers? It has to way exceed the Yankees. If LA is worth $2.1 Billion, the Yankees have to command a price or $5B. Or even $10B

Load Metric
    Sources say the final deal will be Gonzalez, Beckett, Crawford, Punto, 20 buckets of KFC fried chicken, 10 cases of beer, and a cell phone package with unlimited texts in exchange for every player on the Dodgers roster with either "Juan" as their first name or a "Jr." after their name.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Ahhh just what baseball needs, a Yankees of the west. A team that just throws money at players knowing theyn just outspend everyone. If they blow a 100 million in the process, who cares! Just go buy some more until they get it right.

Any idea what the 2013 payroll is gonna look like? Has to be pushing 230 million off the top of my head. But don't worry, no competitive advantage when other teams can't spend 1/3 that.

Baseball is such a fucking joke.

Now go ahead Druff tell me how wrong I am. Read from the Yankee fan talking points when this convo comes up year after year.

Load Metric
    Anyone know what's in it for the Sox? I have to think they are getting Han Ram and others.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Anyone know what's in it for the Sox? I have to think they are getting Han Ram and others.
    they get out of 3 terrible contracts, a chance to rebuild, and a kid who throws high 90s that is ready to be a #2 or #3 starter

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    FOXSports.com’s Jon Morosi reports that the Dodgers have agreed to send RHPRubby De La Rosa, RHP Allen Webster, 1B/OF Jerry Sands, INF Ivan De Jesus and 1B James Loney to the Red Sox for 1B Adrian Gonzalez, OF Carl Crawford, RHP Josh Beckett and INF Nick Punto. Nothing is expected to be finalized tonight.

looks like the sox grabbed their other best pitching prospect too... They should have tossed in lackey for an old manny jersey...

Load Metric
    This is so bizarre it feels like a level.

I wonder how much money Boston is willing to eat in order to pull this off.

Picking up Gonzalez is a good move for the Dodgers but I don't understand Crawford/Beckett. Crawford just had Tommy John surgery and won't be available for6-9 months and Beckett has been really bad.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

Picking up Gonzalez is a good move for the Dodgers but I don't understand Crawford/Beckett. Crawford just had Tommy John surgery and won't be available for6-9 months and Beckett has been really bad.
    Boston has no reason to trade Gonzalez by himself. Obviously the dodgers would love that. The only way Boston makes this deal is by dumping Beckett and Crawford.

The return is modest at best. De La Rosa probably has the most upside, Sands might be ok, Webster maybe if his control improves. Loney and De Jesus are throw ins.

Still have to see if/how much money Boston would ship in this.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

I'd be very surprised if they are adding any considerable cash, taking loney is basically like adding $$ too.

Thread Information