Thread: Larry King will be DD soon

Load Metric

Larry King will be DD soon

He’s 87 and was in the ICU in LA (probably cedars sinai) for a week. Also was nearly a stroke victim last year, plus he’s a prostate + lung cancer survivor, which honestly I didn’t even know was fkn possible. Obviously, this is one tough motherfucker but having survived lung cancer + being in the ICU with covid, I think his time may be coming. I remember as a kid watching Larry King Live on CNN every night without fail and just generally thought he was a great panel host.

Comments

desertrunner: Good post, thanks.

Load Metric

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt View Post
    He’s 87 and was in the ICU in LA (probably cedars sinai) for a week. Also was nearly a stroke victim last year, plus he’s a prostate + lung cancer survivor, which honestly I didn’t even know was fkn possible. Obviously, this is one tough motherfucker but having survived lung cancer + being in the ICU with covid, I think his time may be coming. I remember as a kid watching Larry King Live on CNN every night without fail and just generally thought he was a great panel host.
    motherfucking stroke victim cock

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    watched him play $5k-$10k a hand bj for a while at the wynn a few years back. he's a scrawny man. that is all.

Load Metric

Larry King will be DD soon

Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    watched him play $5k-$10k a hand bj for a while at the wynn a few years back. he's a scrawny man. that is all.
    For a long time, I was a serious BJ player, yet would still not play that kind money even if I had it. 1k a hand, sure, but not 5-10.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I first saw him on an international version of CNN in 1988, while traveling abroad. I guess he had been at the network for 3 years by then, but I hadn't heard of him. He wasn't famous at that point. I wasn't even sure if he was on regular CNN (he was, but at the time I thought maybe this was just an international feature).

Guy actually ran really well surviving this long, given that he needed a quintuple bypass surgery 34 years ago, plus a bunch of major health issues later.

It's a close one between the number of wives he had and the number of times it seemed like he was going to die.

Much like with poker, you can only go all-in so many times before you finally bust. It seems they're stopping short of saying he died of COVID, but it really sounds like that's what happened.

Here is Ken Scalir on Larry King's show, talking to a then-declining Reagan in 1990:

Load Metric
    He was famous for radio. I remember as a child the old lady next door talking about putting on her Larry King when she’d occasionally watch me, much like she’d put on her shows(soap operas). I’d guess he was one of the most famous radio personalities for much longer. That was mid 70s. He was already long syndicated nationally.

Edit- see in bio he went national in 1978. I was thinking before that. It’s possible he was carried locally here as he was on radio since 50s, but not maybe a household name everywhere.
    Last edited by BCR; 01-23-2021 at 07:02 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    He was famous for radio. I remember as a child the old lady next door talking about putting on her Larry King when she’d occasionally watch me, much like she’d put on her shows(soap operas). I’d guess he was one of the most famous radio personalities for much longer. That was mid 70s. He was already long syndicated nationally.

Edit- see in bio he went national in 1978. I was thinking before that. It’s possible he was carried locally here as he was on radio since 50s, but not maybe a household name everywhere.
    I was a fan of radio in the late 70s and 80s, but I hadn't really ventured outside of the LA area stations, because there was no way for me to do so. My exposure to radio was limited to local personalities and syndicated programming. It's possible he was more famous than I realized in 1988, and I simply hadn't heard of him yet.

Load Metric
    I never got why he was so popular? I found him just a standard interview guy. Boring. I guess it was his ability to not ask hard questions that would get him really famous guests. I rarely found something new out about people from his interviews.

I found Howard Stern or in recent times a Rogan or others more interesting. Not because they’re more tawdry, but they get to how people think better through their questions. You get a sense of what make people tick. I never got that from King interviews. He was never my cup of tea. He seemed to appeal to those that liked having a familiar voice in the background on radio and tv.

It’s been the same formula forever. Someone basically promoting a book or movie or whatever does the interview circuit and a bunch of questions that tell you very little. Light bio sketches you can get yourself from wiki. I would guess it’s really hard to get an audience large enough to allow you to ask tougher and more psychologically invasive questions, where notable figures have to do it or lose money. Stern and Rogan have such audiences.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I never got why he was so popular? I found him just a standard interview guy. Boring. I guess it was his ability to not ask hard questions that would get him really famous guests. I rarely found something new out about people from his interviews.

I found Howard Stern or in recent times a Rogan or others more interesting. Not because they’re more tawdry, but they get to how people think better through their questions. You get a sense of what make people tick. I never got that from King interviews. He was never my cup of tea. He seemed to appeal to those that liked having a familiar voice in the background on radio and tv.

It’s been the same formula forever. Someone basically promoting a book or movie or whatever does the interview circuit and a bunch of questions that tell you very little. Light bio sketches you can get yourself from wiki. I would guess it’s really hard to get an audience large enough to allow you to ask tougher and more psychologically invasive questions, where notable figures have to do it or lose money. Stern and Rogan have such audiences.
    That was exactly my reaction to him in 1988.

I said to my parents, "This guy seems boring. I can't imagine this show making it on the US version of CNN."

Load Metric
    It seems you have to build the audience first through some other appeal and then become the interesting interview guy after. Stern went funny shock jock until huge and will tell you anything embarrassing from his own life. Rogan was comedy and MMA plus will tell you personal shit from his own life and then started drawing large audiences. You can’t start out with the notion I’m going to become the tough interview guy or you’re dead in the water. You have to have the audience first. King was doomed to be boring as he was the interview guy from the get.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    It seems you have to build the audience first through some other appeal and then become the interesting interview guy after. Stern went funny shock jock until huge and will tell you anything embarrassing from his own life. Rogan was comedy and MMA plus will tell you personal shit from his own life and then started drawing large audiences. You can’t start out with the notion I’m going to become the tough interview guy or you’re dead in the water. You have to have the audience first. King was doomed to be boring as he was the interview guy from the get.
    Interestingly, the reverse seemed to have been the tactic of Chicago Joey in poker YouTube.

I know he was a frequent 2+2 poster and PLO guy, but he was mostly unknown when he first started his YouTube channel. However, he did a lot of interviews with big name players, where he softballed questions. This gained him a good size following (by poker standards). Once he had that, he mostly dropped the softball act, and started his "investigations" type segments, which weren't too different from what I do on PFA.

Load Metric

Load Metric
    I mourned him for a FULL HOUR

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric

Platinum
    Load Metric
    He told Howard Stern that he was going to be Frozen after death....rube.

Load Metric
    He was contemplating cryogenics , don't think he went that route though.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I would never say Larry King was the average interviewer guy. Late in his career, yeah ok, but even then he was good. Just saying late in his career is worth a badge.

King was competing, more or less, with news broadcasters now considered legendary.
    Cronkite, Brinkley/Chancellor, Wallis, Susskind, Reynolds, Woodruff etc. etc.
    This guy had only high school behind him.
    So he made real good with what he had.

Out of all news anchors mentioned above, who would you say were the fake newsers?
    You wouldn't dare attach that to any of the above. The people hoping to fill the shoes of their predecessors are blanket blamed by one psychopathic con artist on day two of his administration as fake news and you bought it.
    Last edited by limitles; 01-26-2021 at 08:27 PM.

Load Metric
    This video was off YouTube when King died. Now it’s back up and I wanted Druff to see it...

Thread Information