Thread: Buying prescription glasses online

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Buying prescription glasses online

I typically buy nothing on-line cause I hate waiting, shit's wrong when you get it, sending back is super tilting etc.

On-line prices for glasses are crazy however and was just wondering if anyone has gone through this hell and been satisfied?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    I typically buy nothing on-line cause I hate waiting, shit's wrong when you get it, sending back is super tilting etc.

On-line prices for glasses are crazy however and was just wondering if anyone has gone through this hell and been satisfied?

I SEE your point.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Now I feel like limitles is spying on me.

I just broke my glasses on Friday night. Frame completely snapped. They were old, but I can't find my backup glasses, so it's been a pain in the ass. Obviously I'm not going into a store for this, given my level of caution with COVID.

I just did an online glasses order for the first time in my life. They should be here within a few days. I'll let you know how satisfied I am.

Right now I actually have them scotch-taped together, like Revenge of the Nerds.

I've gotten to the age where I have to take my glasses on and off because my glasses bring on a farsightedness (inability to see close) problem. Because I'm nearsighted (can't see distance well), I will never develop a natural farsightedness problem, and will never need reading glasses. However, because of my age, my eyes can no longer adjust to the distance correction of my glasses, so I can't see small print or fine details up close unless I take my glasses OFF.

There are only four solutions to this:

1) Take glasses on and off as necessary -- on to see distance, and off to see close.

2) Get bifocals

3) Get graduated lenses which are distance at the top and gradually moves to reading at the bottom

4) Get early cataract surgery. Some people around my age are doing this now, despite no cataracts. This prevents future cataract problems, and at the same time they can fix your vision. Traditional laser eye surgery (to correct nearsightedness) isn't a good idea at this age, as it will simply bring on farsightedness.

I actually am choosing option #1. I just don't want to have non-urgent eye surgery, and the concept of bifocals or graduated lenses seems bothersome to me, given that parts of the glasses do other things than others.

Load Metric
    Costco has excellent deals on glasses and the frames are legit. We went and got buy one get one a few weeks ago for my wife. 128$ lenses and frames 2 pairs of glasses. She got knock off ray bans but they actually quite nice.

So you know all glasses are made by one Italian company, they completely cornered the market on vision. They own insurance, lens crafters, all major brands of glasses, it’s a clear monopoly. So when you spend the money for 200-400$ frames they come from the same factory as the 60$ frames.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I just broke my glasses on Friday night. Frame completely snapped. They were old, but I can't find my backup glasses, so it's been a pain in the ass. Obviously I'm not going into a store for this, given my level of caution with COVID.

I just did an online glasses order for the first time in my life. They should be here within a few days. I'll let you know how satisfied I am.

Right now I actually have them scotch-taped together, like Revenge of the Nerds.

I've gotten to the age where I have to take my glasses on and off because my glasses bring on a farsightedness (inability to see close) problem. Because I'm nearsighted (can't see distance well), I will never develop a natural farsightedness problem, and will never need reading glasses. However, because of my age, my eyes can no longer adjust to the distance correction of my glasses, so I can't see small print or fine details up close unless I take my glasses OFF.

1) Take glasses on and off as necessary -- on to see distance, and off to see close.

2) Get bifocals

3) Get graduated lenses which are distance at the top and gradually moves to reading at the bottom

4) Get early cataract surgery. Some people around my age are doing this now, despite no cataracts. This prevents future cataract problems, and at the same time they can fix your vision. Traditional laser eye surgery (to correct nearsightedness) isn't a good idea at this age, as it will simply bring on farsightedness.

I actually am choosing option #1. I just don't want to have non-urgent eye surgery, and the concept of bifocals or graduated lenses seems bothersome to me, given that parts of the glasses do other things than others.
    This happened to me what felt like overnight two years ago. Always was nearsighted, then all of a sudden was struggling to see print. I’ve always wore contacts primarily. I have glasses, but rarely wear them outside home. The multi-focal contacts work great.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    To be clear, I don't struggle to see print or close details -- only with glasses on.

This is always confusing to explain to people.

Me: "I have trouble seeing close now when I have my glasses on."

Them: "Oh yeah, that happened to me too. Get some reading glasses, it will help a lot!"

Me: "No, I don't need reading glasses. It's only when I have my glasses on that I can't see up close."

Them: "Yeah, that happens with age. So just get some reading glasses and it will not be a problem anymore."

I actually don't need any correction for reading. It's just the distance correction screws up my close vision, and there's no way out of it other than surgery or graduated lenses.

BCR, did you develop an actual farsightedness, or were you just farsighted with the glasses on?

Load Metric

2) Get bifocals

There is another possible solution. Ask your eye doctor about LASIK or PRK. I had PRK back in 2000 to cure Nearsightedness. Then when I became 45, I needed reading glasses. Now I just take them out when I need to read documents etc. I read books on my kindle and can control the font size and it is no issue at all. The places that do LASIK usually offer free consultations and free eye exams to see if you are a candidate. I have had no issues with my eyes from the surgery, except initially there was a halo effect from on coming headlights at night. I do not have this issue anymore. And 20 years in I’m glad I did it. FWIW.

Load Metric
    To be clear, I don't struggle to see print or close details -- only with glasses on.

Them: "Oh yeah, that happened to me too. Get some reading glasses, it will help a lot!"

Me: "No, I don't need reading glasses. It's only when I have my glasses on that I can't see up close."

Them: "Yeah, that happens with age. So just get some reading glasses and it will not be a problem anymore."

I actually don't need any correction for reading. It's just the distance correction screws up my close vision, and there's no way out of it other than surgery or graduated lenses.

BCR, did you develop an actual farsightedness, or were you just farsighted with the glasses on?
    Yeah, I couldn’t read print with or without normal glasses. Those reading glasses over contacts helped, but gave insta-headache in the interim few days waiting on appointment. It was better without glasses than with, but struggled either way. They say it’s usually more gradual than mine. The eye doctor kind of looked at me weird when I told her it happened overnight, and she said it doesn’t work that way. I said, ok, I believe you, but I had no problem one day and couldn’t read print the next.

Load Metric
    Bcr, something similar happened to me, in 2019. I’ve always had 20/15 in right eye and 20/10 In my left eye then one day, street signs got hard to see at night. It was the craziest thing, I was use to seeing everything so far away but at night I couldn’t see shit. I just had an eye exam 3 months before this happened.

I made another appointment with my optometrist, he said welcome to normal vision and I have a slight Prescription at night now but it’s so small it’s not worth getting glasses. Im 34, I only got my eyes check to have a baseline for aging or incase I get injured at work because that’s a possibility.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerveza Fria View Post

2) Get bifocals

There is another possible solution. Ask your eye doctor about LASIK or PRK. I had PRK back in 2000 to cure Nearsightedness. Then when I became 45, I needed reading glasses. Now I just take them out when I need to read documents etc. I read books on my kindle and can control the font size and it is no issue at all. The places that do LASIK usually offer free consultations and free eye exams to see if you are a candidate. I have had no issues with my eyes from the surgery, except initially there was a halo effect from on coming headlights at night. I do not have this issue anymore. And 20 years in I’m glad I did it. FWIW.
    LASIK isn't recommended for people my age. Otherwise it corrects the nearsightedness and brings on farsightedness.

If I get surgery, it will need to be the cataract correction surgery, which will both correct my vision and prevent future cataracts, but I just don't want to do that right now.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

Yeah, I couldn’t read print with or without normal glasses. Those reading glasses over contacts helped, but gave insta-headache in the interim few days waiting on appointment. It was better without glasses than with, but struggled either way. They say it’s usually more gradual than mine. The eye doctor kind of looked at me weird when I told her it happened overnight, and she said it doesn’t work that way. I said, ok, I believe you, but I had no problem one day and couldn’t read print the next.
    I can't explain what happened to you. I believe it, but it's unusual.

In fact, it is rare for someone nearsighted to get farsighted at all. Almost all nearsighted people have my experience -- slowly not being able to read print with glasses on, starting around age 44, and it getting fairly bad in that regard by age 50. But with no glasses, no problem.

The exception is for mildly nearsighted people -- ones who can get along fine without glasses, but are technically nearsighted. Those people will sometimes develop a farsightedness problem, and sometimes that will also correct their nearsightedness problem! This happened to my mom around age 60.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Drawingdead View Post
    Bcr, something similar happened to me, in 2019. I’ve always had 20/15 in right eye and 20/10 In my left eye then one day, street signs got hard to see at night. It was the craziest thing, I was use to seeing everything so far away but at night I couldn’t see shit. I just had an eye exam 3 months before this happened.

I made another appointment with my optometrist, he said welcome to normal vision and I have a slight Prescription at night now but it’s so small it’s not worth getting glasses. Im 34, I only got my eyes check to have a baseline for aging or incase I get injured at work because that’s a possibility.
    Did you play baseball?

What line of work did you drift into with those great peepers?

Load Metric
    I got mine at Wallmarts have a surprisingly well stocked cache of glasses. They give you an eye exam also. I have bendable glasses that are almost indistructuble titanium if I am not mistooken. I realize you said online, most people who wear glasses an eye exam is a must.
    Last edited by FRANKRIZZO; 01-13-2021 at 08:38 PM.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Used eyebuydirect.com but then found zenni.
    Got 4 pairs of glasses, two sunglasses , two regular.
    Im nearsighted.

26 dollars for the sunglasses , 13 bucks apiece

14 dollars for the regular glasses, 7 dollars a pair.

Shipping was about 5 bucks per order.

Cheap wire rims, but look aight.

Been about 5 years now.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comments

Dan Druff:

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    here's an idea: learn to fucking see you lazy pieces of shit

Comments

dwai: lol

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

2) Get bifocals

I don"t understand how they get the fit right. There's pupil distance and arm length that are a big part of wearing glasses.

I've been a week or more without them. I still drive and will say I am looking better than ever.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Glasses have sizes.

You have to measure pupil distance, and it really isn't that hard.

You want to start with having glasses and a prescription that works for you to start with.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Update. So I went for the cheap online glasses instead of supporting my local entrepreneurs and
    I'll take this a win. I paid under $150 bucks but I was kind of guessing.

Turns out the vision is perfect. The fit, as always is my problem. Even with local help, they tend to slide etc.

Then i find these.

A pack of twenty different options, 10 bucks. Best fitting glasses ever.

Check me out

Thread Information