Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: So much for "Follow the Science" - Biden will release nearly all available vaccine doses

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I can't believe I'm saying this in 2021, but here's a CNN opinion piece I mostly agree with:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/22/polit...ter/index.html

It's about "hygiene theater" and "mask theater". You can stop reading when you get to the "climate theater" part, as that's about another topic, and is mostly fluff.

But it does raise points I've been making for almost a year now, regarding masking and obsessive cleaning/sanitizing. My points were as follows:

- Sanitizing is either useless or almost useless, when it comes to COVID (great for the flu, not for COVID).

- Masking probably has some moderate benefit, but not much outdoors, and it might actually be an overall net negative because it brings on a false sense of security, causing reckless behavior.

This article oddly makes the "false sense of security" point for the sanitizing, but not the masking. However, it concedes that outdoor masking is mostly for show, and should stop. It also admits that overly restrictive rules simply cause people to ignore everything, and do especially reckless things.

Another thing with the article with which I agree is their characterization of Americans' views of masking: Either masking is an oppression tactic and a violation of your rights, or it's a necessary thing to do all the time which indicates you're a responsible human being. If you don't agree with either of these, you get hate from both sides. This is where I am, and why I get routine criticism from both the right ("you're too afraid of COVID") and the left ("you're an anti-masker"). Positions on masking have become a status symbol, rather than something intelligently reasoned out.

I'm so sick of seeing mask-shaming pictures of poker rooms (usually in Texas), where masking is either absent or inconsistent. My response is, "Anyone unvaccinated in there is indeed engaging in dangerous behavior, but not for the reason you probably think. It's because they're indoors with a ton of people, not because those people aren't wearing masks."

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I can't believe I'm saying this in 2021, but here's a CNN opinion piece I mostly agree with:

It's about "hygiene theater" and "mask theater". You can stop reading when you get to the "climate theater" part, as that's about another topic, and is mostly fluff.

But it does raise points I've been making for almost a year now, regarding masking and obsessive cleaning/sanitizing. My points were as follows:

- Sanitizing is either useless or almost useless, when it comes to COVID (great for the flu, not for COVID).

- Masking probably has some moderate benefit, but not much outdoors, and it might actually be an overall net negative because it brings on a false sense of security, causing reckless behavior.

This article oddly makes the "false sense of security" point for the sanitizing, but not the masking. However, it concedes that outdoor masking is mostly for show, and should stop. It also admits that overly restrictive rules simply cause people to ignore everything, and do especially reckless things.

Another thing with the article with which I agree is their characterization of Americans' views of masking: Either masking is an oppression tactic and a violation of your rights, or it's a necessary thing to do all the time which indicates you're a responsible human being. If you don't agree with either of these, you get hate from both sides. This is where I am, and why I get routine criticism from both the right ("you're too afraid of COVID") and the left ("you're an anti-masker"). Positions on masking have become a status symbol, rather than something intelligently reasoned out.

I'm so sick of seeing mask-shaming pictures of poker rooms (usually in Texas), where masking is either absent or inconsistent. My response is, "Anyone unvaccinated in there is indeed engaging in dangerous behavior, but not for the reason you probably think. It's because they're indoors with a ton of people, not because those people aren't wearing masks."
    oh man are the doomer mask cult gonna be mad when they read this on CNN, the masking is a cult, rooted in "science", they are gonna angrily get mad at cnn here

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric

You are like the DR of masking. Your masking opinions aren't criticized because you don't go to either extreme. They are criticized because they are nonsensical and egocentric. Spoiler Alert: wearing masks reduces transmissions. It is effective enough that I haven't spent the entire year hiding in my fucking house. I think that covid is both real and dangerous. I live in Wasilla AK, the land of Sarah Palin, and one of the dumb fuck capitals of the world. The local government decided that they couldn't mandate masks, closures, or restrictions. Since the locals don't believe in covid or mask efficacy while fearing vaccines, my town has infection rates close to Anchorage numbers.
    Anyone following the research already knows that being outside greatly reduces transmission as well. Guess what setting I celebrated Thanksgiving, Christmas and other occasions. I had snow on the ground since mid October and it didn't start melting until last week. Still, I and most of my covid fearing friends got out and dined at restaurant's outdoor tables and met at each others' yards and patios. I also traveled to places that where I could spend my time outside. For quite a while Planes were mostly empty, and had their own mask wearing requirements. Flying seemed safer than a trip to a Wasilla grocery store.
    I even spent several weeks in Vegas once they started enforcing masks mandates. I put on an uncomfortable but well fitting N-95 when people get too close, and sometimes I have to leave an area all together, but for the most part plying VP is more comfortable than before.
    If I'm wearing a mask and those around me are wearing masks, we are unlikely to infect each other, especially with an empty machine or two between us.
    You've missed the boat on why people wear masks. For most of us, it is entirely a means of reducing risks while getting out of the house. Someone thinking that it is a status symbol either hasn't left his house or doesn't process the available information. I know that my mask only provides limited protection for me, but makes it unlikely for me to infect others. That's why I look for places where everyone wears them.
    Your CNN story does not suggest that indoor masking doesn't work. It points out that a lot of people who wear masks in low risk outdoor situations will often eat in a high risk indoor seating. Wow! Quite a newsflash there. I've done that. Wasn't because I didn't understand the relative risks involved.

ps Unmasked poker rooms are obviously a lot more risky than masked ones. You don't need an IQ above room temperature to figure that out.

Comments

gimmick:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by wasilla1 View Post

You are like the DR of masking. Your masking opinions aren't criticized because you don't go to either extreme. They are criticized because they are nonsensical and egocentric. Spoiler Alert: wearing masks reduces transmissions. It is effective enough that I haven't spent the entire year hiding in my fucking house. I think that covid is both real and dangerous. I live in Wasilla AK, the land of Sarah Palin, and one of the dumb fuck capitals of the world. The local government decided that they couldn't mandate masks, closures, or restrictions. Since the locals don't believe in covid or mask efficacy while fearing vaccines, my town has infection rates close to Anchorage numbers.
    Anyone following the research already knows that being outside greatly reduces transmission as well. Guess what setting I celebrated Thanksgiving, Christmas and other occasions. I had snow on the ground since mid October and it didn't start melting until last week. Still, I and most of my covid fearing friends got out and dined at restaurant's outdoor tables and met at each others' yards and patios. I also traveled to places that where I could spend my time outside. For quite a while Planes were mostly empty, and had their own mask wearing requirements. Flying seemed safer than a trip to a Wasilla grocery store.
    I even spent several weeks in Vegas once they started enforcing masks mandates. I put on an uncomfortable but well fitting N-95 when people get too close, and sometimes I have to leave an area all together, but for the most part plying VP is more comfortable than before.
    If I'm wearing a mask and those around me are wearing masks, we are unlikely to infect each other, especially with an empty machine or two between us.
    You've missed the boat on why people wear masks. For most of us, it is entirely a means of reducing risks while getting out of the house. Someone thinking that it is a status symbol either hasn't left his house or doesn't process the available information. I know that my mask only provides limited protection for me, but makes it unlikely for me to infect others. That's why I look for places where everyone wears them.
    Your CNN story does not suggest that indoor masking doesn't work. It points out that a lot of people who wear masks in low risk outdoor situations will often eat in a high risk indoor seating. Wow! Quite a newsflash there. I've done that. Wasn't because I didn't understand the relative risks involved.

ps Unmasked poker rooms are obviously a lot more risky than masked ones. You don't need an IQ above room temperature to figure that out.
    MASKS DON'T DO SHIT YOU DOOMER FAGGOT

GET YOUR BULLSHIT LONG POST OUT OF HERE YOU NEW QUEER

Thread Information