Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Apparently Bart Hanson hates free speech (Parler and Twitter censorship issue)

Load Metric
    The real problem for these companies as conservatives leave in droves is drops in revenue, they think they can push their evil lib agenda on all. We will prevail.

Comments

GrenadaRoger:
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Actually, some of them are.

This was decided before most of us were born, regarding the "Fairness Doctrine" on radio and TV stations. This was eventually abandoned when it became antiquated, but the concept has been long established.

If a business becomes a major source of news and information for the public, the rules can be different than for others private businesses.
    Broadcasters use the RF spectrum which by law belongs to the people, and require licenses to operate. They are subject to regulation from the FCC. This is why they were able to implement the Fairness Doctrine.

At the present time social media are not regulated in the same way. That doesn't mean they can't be. If you want to reinstate the Fairness Doctrine, and apply it to Big Tech as well, that's not necessarily a bad idea if it holds up in court. An equivalent of the Fairness Doctrine that applied to newspapers was struck down by the court because newspapers do not use up a finite resource (RF spectrum), do not require licenses to operate, and are open to theoretically limitless competition. So you would expect a similar challenge from Big Tech.

Generally it was conservatives who were opposed to the Fairness Doctrine. It was Reagan's FCC that abolished it. The Democrats considered bringing it back about a decade ago, but Republicans opposed it because they saw it as an attack on right-wing talk radio. Would you like to see the Fairness Doctrine applied to Fox News?
    From a legal standpoint, this is correct. But I'm not really discussing legality here -- only the moral implications of the whole thing.

You're correct that conservatives opposed the Fairness Doctrine in the '80s, because right-wing talk radio had already gained enough of a foothold that they felt it largely negated (and probably exceeded) the left-wing editorial portions of regular broadcast stations.

Keep in mind that the mainstream media in those days was also not nearly as liberal and biased as it is now, so there was less of a concern then about biased news, and more of a concern about biased editorials.

My point about the Fairness Doctrine was that there had already been action taken in the past in order to bring ideological fairness to mass media. Yes, the public airwaves allowed them to be able to assert it, but that was just legality. The spirit of the law was to prevent one side from disseminating all of the editorial opinion.

Much has changed since then, but we are back to the same question -- should we allow private companies with a near-monopoly on information platforms control the ideology of the information disseminated on them?

I think a lot of this could be solved by making two sets of rules -- one for large social media, and one for everywhere else. The "everywhere else" rules would essentially be the same as they are today. With large social media, a lot of this could be solved by the following rules:

- No banning or removing messages by any sitting major or semi-major politician (meaning the President, VP, governors, Congresspeople, Senators, and big city mayors).

- No banning or removing messages by any large publications (the term "large" could be carefully defined here, to prevent confusion).

- No warning labels allowed for either of the above categories.

- All third-party fact checkers must be open and transparent regarding their process and their staff making these decisions, and must make a good faith effort to staff an equal number of people from the left and right. Any third-party fact checker which fails to do so cannot be utilized to determine the validity of any politically-related stories or posts.

The whole "fact checking" nonsense really infuriates me, because none of the fact checkers will be transparent about anything, and it is clear that they all have a strong leftist bias.

It's not even rocket science to put together a good and fair fact checking organization. For example, if someone hired me, Kalam, BCR, and Walter to get together and fact check things, I bet we could do a pretty damn good job, regardless of our differing ideologies. By ourselves, each of us would probably have some bias, but put together in a room as a group, we could probably come up with honest fact checking.

I would actually LOVE to see stories fact-checked by legitimate, unbiased checkers. Unfortunately, no such organization exists, hence the current fact-checkers avoiding any form of transparency.

I'm just coming up with ideas off the top of my head here, but surely there's a way to solve this censorship issue while also combating disinformation campaigns.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

Broadcasters use the RF spectrum which by law belongs to the people, and require licenses to operate. They are subject to regulation from the FCC. This is why they were able to implement the Fairness Doctrine.

At the present time social media are not regulated in the same way. That doesn't mean they can't be. If you want to reinstate the Fairness Doctrine, and apply it to Big Tech as well, that's not necessarily a bad idea if it holds up in court. An equivalent of the Fairness Doctrine that applied to newspapers was struck down by the court because newspapers do not use up a finite resource (RF spectrum), do not require licenses to operate, and are open to theoretically limitless competition. So you would expect a similar challenge from Big Tech.

Generally it was conservatives who were opposed to the Fairness Doctrine. It was Reagan's FCC that abolished it. The Democrats considered bringing it back about a decade ago, but Republicans opposed it because they saw it as an attack on right-wing talk radio. Would you like to see the Fairness Doctrine applied to Fox News?
    From a legal standpoint, this is correct. But I'm not really discussing legality here -- only the moral implications of the whole thing.

You're correct that conservatives opposed the Fairness Doctrine in the '80s, because right-wing talk radio had already gained enough of a foothold that they felt it largely negated (and probably exceeded) the left-wing editorial portions of regular broadcast stations.

Keep in mind that the mainstream media in those days was also not nearly as liberal and biased as it is now, so there was less of a concern then about biased news, and more of a concern about biased editorials.

My point about the Fairness Doctrine was that there had already been action taken in the past in order to bring ideological fairness to mass media. Yes, the public airwaves allowed them to be able to assert it, but that was just legality. The spirit of the law was to prevent one side from disseminating all of the editorial opinion.

Much has changed since then, but we are back to the same question -- should we allow private companies with a near-monopoly on information platforms control the ideology of the information disseminated on them?

I think a lot of this could be solved by making two sets of rules -- one for large social media, and one for everywhere else. The "everywhere else" rules would essentially be the same as they are today. With large social media, a lot of this could be solved by the following rules:

- No banning or removing messages by any sitting major or semi-major politician (meaning the President, VP, governors, Congresspeople, Senators, and big city mayors).

- No banning or removing messages by any large publications (the term "large" could be carefully defined here, to prevent confusion).

- No warning labels allowed for either of the above categories.

- All third-party fact checkers must be open and transparent regarding their process and their staff making these decisions, and must make a good faith effort to staff an equal number of people from the left and right. Any third-party fact checker which fails to do so cannot be utilized to determine the validity of any politically-related stories or posts.

The whole "fact checking" nonsense really infuriates me, because none of the fact checkers will be transparent about anything, and it is clear that they all have a strong leftist bias.

It's not even rocket science to put together a good and fair fact checking organization. For example, if someone hired me, Kalam, BCR, and Walter to get together and fact check things, I bet we could do a pretty damn good job, regardless of our differing ideologies. By ourselves, each of us would probably have some bias, but put together in a room as a group, we could probably come up with honest fact checking.

I would actually LOVE to see stories fact-checked by legitimate, unbiased checkers. Unfortunately, no such organization exists, hence the current fact-checkers avoiding any form of transparency.

I'm just coming up with ideas off the top of my head here, but surely there's a way to solve this censorship issue while also combating disinformation campaigns.
    So what you've said previously is basically nonsense and just an opinion. Save the internet the wall of text with no point.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by splitthis View Post
    We will not be stopped.
    ... by anybody except yourselves.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    The real problem for these companies as conservatives leave in droves is drops in revenue, they think they can push their evil lib agenda on all. We will prevail.
    i agree...more like using a controlled subsidiary to limit distribution of a competitor--it appears this maybe a move that injures competition in the social media market, hence anti-trust litigation possible?
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Name:  8c26be0.png
Views: 323
Size:  283.6 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post
    i agree...more like using a controlled subsidiary to limit distribution of a competitor--it appears this maybe a move that injures competition in the social media market, hence anti-trust litigation possible?
    That's funny but of course you’re serious.

Lawyers needing a gig

Name:  9B3D66F4-D407-4B9B-8DA0-E8C62074DA3A.jpeg
Views: 328
Size:  136.9 KB

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

That's funny but of course you’re serious.

Lawyers needing a gig
    it's okay to smirk....it's only fair; i laugh when i read anything of yours
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    ANY anti-trust action in the tech sphere will benefit almost everyone everywhere. If that's an offshoot of banning Trump, A fucking Men.

Break up Google, break up Amazon, break up Facebook, break up all the digital monopolies in every area. Shit, break up all monopolies and monopsonies in every area. Would be a tremendous unforeseen consequence of all this.

Comments

gimmick:

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post
    Bart just outright celebrated Parler going down and basically has condoned corporate censorship. I’m saddened and disgusted. Look I may disagree vehemently with people but when you embrace corporate crony censorship it’s a sad day. I might also add if you have any semblance of actual supporting free speech be prepared to give up your Apple products. They apparently are threatening to remove Parler from the App Store and disable any ability to use the app on iPhone or iPad. Again disagree politically but this is not just disgusting it’s fucking scary that the corporate leftists have no muzzle and are declaring they now get to decide what political speech is acceptable and apparently anything that doesn’t follow the leftist political slant will not be tolerated or allowed.

Name:  
Views: 
Size:
    Twitter is not free speech, it is a publicly traded company with TOS. And Parler is just a fucking mess.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    You guys are a bunch of cucks if you think I’m a liberal. Go back to mindlessly supporting Ted Cruz, Matt Gaetz and believing the election was stolen. I have respect for Druff because at least he can acknowledge reality, actually believe what he says and doesn’t just regurgitate some Q nonsense. I’m talking to you @Dwai

Comments

dwai: stupid n-word lover

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BartHanson View Post
    I’m talking to you @Dwai
    Shit, I thought you read this board, Bart. Dwai's 100% pure troll.

Plenty of terrible people on here, but dwai's not a serious account to react to, he's one to ignore.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Well, at least Amazon didn't drop Parler from its web hosting service yet, so that should be a good sign, right?

Load Metric
    Fuck Bart Hansen

DWAI IS GOD MFER

Comments

dwai:

Load Metric
    DIS BITCH

MMMM your tears are delicious

cry more for us please

cry yourself to sleep everyday knowing you lost BIGGLY

ALL 3 BABE ALL 3 NOW UNDER OUR CONTROL

POST MORE CRY MORE PLEASE I LOVEEEE IT
    Last edited by big dick; 01-10-2021 at 01:08 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by big dick View Post
    DIS BITCH

MMMM your tears are delicious

cry more for us please

cry yourself to sleep everyday knowing you lost BIGGLY

ALL 3 BABE ALL 3 NOW UNDER OUR CONTROL

POST MORE CRY MORE PLEASE I LOVEEEE IT

Load Metric
    I don’t cry you man baby basement bitch.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BartHanson View Post
    You guys are a bunch of cucks if you think I’m a liberal. Go back to mindlessly supporting Ted Cruz, Matt Gaetz and believing the election was stolen. I have respect for Druff because at least he can acknowledge reality, actually believe what he says and doesn’t just regurgitate some Q nonsense. I’m talking to you @Dwai
    go suck more little boy cock you little dweeb, go post more bullshit on Twitter you huge faggot, go play more poker or something you racist piece of shit

Load Metric
    I don’t cry you man baby basement bitch.
    keep crying

trump is finished

HOUSE-DEMS
    SENATE-DEMS
    PRESIDENCY-DEMS

Thread Information