Thread: hendo injured, ufc 151 canceled

Load Metric

hendo injured, ufc 151 canceled

The whole event is canceled.

Jones to fight Machida at UFC 152.

Jones turned down Sonnen as a replacement for UFC 151

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This sucks! Nobody wants a piece of Jones on less then two weeks notice but the whole PPV to be wiped is a waste of money on their part when they should just offer the PPV at a discount rate along with ticket prices.

Load Metric
    Wow, with that much money involved I amazed they didnt work it out.

Dana has become Jones' bitch.

Just shows how much Jones means to the UFC brand and legitimizing the sport.

Dana would have probably cut any other fighter for doing the same thing except for maybe Silva

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    This sucks! Nobody wants a piece of Jones on less then two weeks notice but the whole PPV to be wiped is a waste of money on their part when they should just offer the PPV at a discount rate along with ticket prices.

Correction. Sonnen accepted, but Jones rejected the replacement.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post

Correction. Sonnen accepted, but Jones rejected the replacement.
    Yes, Sonnen did accept I should of said that but nobody else (aka a ready light heavyweight now) wanted Jones and Sonnen really isn't deserving of that shot anyways.

Load Metric
    Had you seen the rest of the card? Hieron-Ellenberger as the main event, then... They've been getting lower and lower ppv numbers, and people like me who never ever missed paying for a show no matter what the card, didn't even really consider buying the last one. We always get together, a few of us at a friend's house, and get every single show, just as we had every single big boxing match since forever ago. The rare occasions where we couldn't get together, I've ended up buying them myself, splitting it with the kuntmissioner, because its so much more fun on tv than streams anyway. My last cable bill had an extra $110 on there for 148 and 149, but 150 was not even really a thought, and 151 wasn't gonna happen either without Jones. They really can't afford to get people like me regularly passing up ppvs, because it's a really easy habit to get out of, let me tell ya. Cancelling was the smart thing to do here, imo.

At some point, they they have to see that they're running too many shows and having thinner and thinner cards as it is.

Load Metric
    MMA is dead.

Obv joking, but IMO this is as much of a joke as the whole "boxing is dead" argument.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post
    Wow, with that much money involved I amazed they didnt work it out.

Dana has become Jones' bitch.

Just shows how much Jones means to the UFC brand and legitimizing the sport.

Dana would have probably cut any other fighter for doing the same thing except for maybe Silva
    Lets look at the situation from Jones' perspective for a moment. Earlier this week Frankie Edgar moved down to 145 and when asked Dana said emphatically that Edgar would have to fight 1 maybe 2 fights before getting a shot at the title (and he in fact WON the fight the judges fucked up according to 95% of people the other 5% are Benson Henderson and his camp) against Aldo or whoever at 145.. NOW Chael Sonnen just got his ass beat by Anderson Silva no decision flat out beat down end of story and moves up to 205 and hasnt fought at 205 in quite a long time..

What the fuck makes Sonnen so special HE should not have to meet the same requirements as Edgar to win 1-2 fights before fighting the champ. Dana White is 2 faced as hell in this whole scenario saying one thing regarding Edgar meanwhile, in desperation of saving him from losing his card, he offers Sonnen a shot at the 205 belt immediately?? Jones was dead on in telling Dana White no, Machida was the rightful #1 Contender to begin with and I suspect Machida would've been pissed too if Dana pulled the rug out in giving Sonnen an unearned title shot at 205...

Now as for the other guys on the 151 card I'd be beating down Dana's door for costing them a paycheck they were expecting because he couldnt come up with anything to resolve the issue. I know he didnt want a repeat of the 149 debacle but give me a break you mean you couldnt come up with anything Dana to fill that slot at all???
    Last edited by ftpjesus; 08-23-2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: vbulliten ran the paragraphs together despite setting them apart

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post

(A) What the fuck makes Sonnen so special HE should not have to meet the same requirements as Edgar to win 1-2 fights before fighting the champ.

(B) Jones was dead on in telling Dana White no, Machida was the rightful #1 Contender to begin with and I suspect Machida would've been pissed too if Dana pulled the rug out in giving Sonnen an unearned title shot at 205...
    (A) Sonnen was the only name marketable enough for the UFC to keep it as a legit main event. Weidman also volunteered for the fight and Joe Silva said no because he isn't a big enough name. It also makes sense from a marketing point of view because Sonnen and Jones have been going back and forth on Twitter for two weeks now.

(B) Jone Jones got his title fight with Shogun Rua when the rightful #1 contender Rashad Evans was injured. Dana and the Fertita's went to a guy, Jon Jones, who was not the top contender and offered him the fight on short notice and Rua did not turn down the fight.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Had you seen the rest of the card? Hieron-Ellenberger as the main event, then... They've been getting lower and lower ppv numbers, and people like me who never ever missed paying for a show no matter what the card, didn't even really consider buying the last one. We always get together, a few of us at a friend's house, and get every single show, just as we had every single big boxing match since forever ago. The rare occasions where we couldn't get together, I've ended up buying them myself, splitting it with the kuntmissioner, because its so much more fun on tv than streams anyway. My last cable bill had an extra $110 on there for 148 and 149, but 150 was not even really a thought, and 151 wasn't gonna happen either without Jones. They really can't afford to get people like me regularly passing up ppvs, because it's a really easy habit to get out of, let me tell ya. Cancelling was the smart thing to do here, imo.

At some point, they they have to see that they're running too many shows and having thinner and thinner cards as it is.
    That is just it they are running too many cards but to cancel the PPV all together just seems bad for business although that main event would be awful.

Here are some of the fighter reactions:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/23...-151-cancelled

This does suck for those fighters who prepared for their fight regardless of how big they are they still got bills to pay.

Load Metric

That is just it they are running too many cards but to cancel the PPV all together just seems bad for business although that main event would be awful.

This does suck for those fighters who prepared for their fight regardless of how big they are they still got bills to pay.
    Looks like Nevada rules might require the UFC to pay the fighters whatever the bout agreement says. Here's the rule everyone's throwing around on twiter.

NAC 467.259 Unarmed combatant not used in program must be used in next program or reimbursed. (NRS 467.030) If a promoter enters into a bout agreement with an unarmed combatant for a contest or exhibition in a program of unarmed combat, but the promoter, without reasonable cause, does not use the unarmed combatant in that program, the unarmed combatant must be used in the next program staged by the promoter or be reimbursed pursuant to the bout agreement. [Athletic Comm’n, § 101, eff. 4-25-78]—(NAC A 12-13-82; 12-2-97; R076-03, 12-3-2003)

Load Metric

Looks like Nevada rules might require the UFC to pay the fighters whatever the bout agreement says. Here's the rule everyone's throwing around on twiter.

NAC 467.259 Unarmed combatant not used in program must be used in next program or reimbursed. (NRS 467.030) If a promoter enters into a bout agreement with an unarmed combatant for a contest or exhibition in a program of unarmed combat, but the promoter, without reasonable cause, does not use the unarmed combatant in that program, the unarmed combatant must be used in the next program staged by the promoter or be reimbursed pursuant to the bout agreement. [Athletic Comm’n, § 101, eff. 4-25-78]—(NAC A 12-13-82; 12-2-97; R076-03, 12-3-2003)
    That may get them unstuck or only slightly stuck.... but the sponsorship money, win bonuses and fight bonuses are long gone... The sponsorship money in particular is crushing for most of these guys to lose.

Lauzon's blog said it costs him about 20k per fight just in training, etc...

Load Metric
    I think this is a brutal move by Jones, Sonnen stepped in on short notice. The fans, other fighters and UFC staff all still have the card go off if he accepts the fight. This is all bigger than Jones but he didn't want to fight Sonnen of all people on 8 days notice (Jones has had a full fight camp, Sonnen has not). Fuck jones, I really hope Nike dumps that bitch.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/30341/dana...or-ufc-151.mma

UFC President Dana White is livid at Jon Jones following the light heavyweight champ's decision to turn down a short-notice fight with Chael Sonnen for UFC 151.

Although Jones now has been shifted to UFC 152 opposite ex-champ Lyoto Machida, White thinks his relationship with the fighter may never be the same, to say nothing of the fighter's relationship to fans.

"As much as as he's won, and all the things that he's accomplished in a short amount of time … he's been a champion that hasn't been very popular," White said today. "I don't think this is going to do wonders for his popularity."

White's comments came moments after he announced the cancellation of UFC 151, which was scheduled to take place Sept. 1 at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas and air live on pay-per-view. Jones (16-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) originally was scheduled to face Dan Henderson (29-8 MMA, 6-2 UFC) before a knee injury forced Henderson to withdraw from the event and forced White's hand.

With the decision to cancel having come just one hour prior to a media teleconference, White's emotions were still raw.

"Me and (UFC executive) Lorenzo (Fertitta) are disgusted," he said.

White was still piecing through the financial repercussions of the decision, but said fans who bought tickets to the event will be issued refunds. As for those who purchased plane tickets and hotel rooms to see the fight, he hoped they could get a refund or divert their trips to UFC 152.

The remaining fallout, in terms of losses in pay-per-view revenue and advertising dollars, could not be measured. White, however, said they were "huge."

White also could not explain why Jones, who sits in the No. 2 spot of most pound-for-pound lists, turned down the fight with Sonnen.

"I don't know why a guy who was a world champion and considered by many to be the pound-for-pound best wouldn't fight anybody," he said. "It's baffling to me. I've never seen it before."

And while Jones' decision enraged him, White clarified that he had no way of contractually forcing the champ to fight.

"Being a fight promoter, and being in the business that we're in, you can't make somebody fight," he said. "I can't make you fight. You're either a fighter, or you're not. This is what we all do for a living. I have a building here in Las Vegas that 250 people have been busting their ass, working hard, to promote this fight. Not just for Jon Jones, but for everyone on this card.

"You know what? Good for you Jon Jones. You're rich and you've got some money, and you don't need to take this fight. But there's a bunch of guys on the undercard that this is how they feed their family, and this is how they make a living. And the UFC has spent [expletive] of money to promote this fight.

"I can't make you fight, but it's probably not a good idea to not do it."

Load Metric
    Lightweight Joe Lauzon wrote a good explanation as to why fighters would be angry about the cancellation.

"Not only has this screwed over all the fans that bought tickets, non refundable airfare, took off work, made arrangements, etc… but think of all the fighters. Fighters that put in full camps, flew people in that helped them trains, etc. By the time I am actually fight, I spend close to 20k between corners, flights, expenses, coaches, etc… and then to have the whole show cancelled because ONE guy didn't want to fight. This ONE guy that had trained an entire camp, who was the CHAMP and at the top of his weight class, who was going to fight someone who didn't do the camp, and was fighting UP a weight class."

Load Metric
    This isn't going to end well for Jones.

He's now the Tiger Woods of MMA except even most of the fans hate him.

This is what Charlie Brenneman a fighter on the card tweeted:

"U can send my check to PO box 198. EH NJ. Rent is due the first, so preferably by then. Thanks."
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    someone who didn't do the camp, and was fighting UP a weight class
    It is a lose lose situation for Bones if he takes this fight w/ Sonnen. With that said, he shoulda laced them up.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Grenny View Post
    someone who didn't do the camp, and was fighting UP a weight class
    It is a lose lose situation for Bones if he takes this fight w/ Sonnen. With that said, he shoulda laced them up.
    Don't see how it's a lose-lose. It should be his easiest fight in the UFC theoretically. It would be an unbelievable mismatch. The Henderson bout was against an undersized LHW with a good wrestling background & both are right-handed. It's not like he had to change absolutely everything in his preperation.

If he somehow loses he makes even more money in an immediate rematch & he earns respect from his critics for taking the fight.

I know he's against giving a shot to someone he doesn't think deserves a shot especially after saying he wasn't going to let him talk his way into a title shot but he(& Greg Jackson)has to look at the bigger picture. This will go down as the worst decision he ever made other than driving drunk.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    great tweet from a few months back found by Crowediddley

Name:  Twitter - Home.png
Views: 381
Size:  13.0 KB

Load Metric
    Doesnt see how it is a lose lose and then stats reasons why it is precisely a lose lose.

Respect from critics comment aside of course.

Hockey Guy Vwls and gentlemen.

Load Metric
    Bones says wouldn't be prepared correctly for sonnen, which is true, but Sonnen wouldn't be ready for anyone. Full camp for someone else, or no camp at all? I know which one I'd take...

also, how fucking bad does Jay Hieron run?

Thread Information