Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** Colonoscopy Thread

Load Metric
    I have a family history of cancer, so I have had one done. The prep, I just did what they prescribed. It is awful tasting but it cleans you out for sure. When you get there they simply give you an injection which makes you drowsy and impairs your memory. You absolutely cannot drive after the procedure because you are definitely in a fog, which is why they insist you have a driver attend. You simply lie on your back and doze off, and you come around in less than an hour. The Doc will burn off any polyps which is painless. The whole procedure in uneventful, you go home and crash for 3 hours and you are fine. You won't take a shit for a couple days because there is nothing in your system.

I have been told by more than one person, those that do their own homegrown prep does not clean our your pipes 100%, making the test much less effective simply because there is still shit in the system and the polyps which drive cancer are blocked from view. I am not sure why anyone would not simply take what is prescribed. Why go through the procedure at all if you still have 10% of shit in your system which could make one polyp go unnoticed. Seems like a waste of time; Steve Jobs did his own cancer treatment for like a year and it killed him long term.

Colon cancer is the easiest cancer to prevent, but outside of pancreatic and brain cancer the toughest to treat. I have friends for whatever reason refuse to get a colonoscopy, usually saying they don't want anything up their ass. You never feel a thing and never remember the actual insertion. Anyone that does not get a colonoscopy over the age of 45, and certainly 50 is a first grade idiot. LOL and not wanting anything up your ass as a reason not to get the test, if you get colon cancer you likely will end up dead or with a bag attached to your hip for life.

Load Metric
    I've been cardioverted 4 times. That's where they put me under with propofol then put an electrical shock to my heart to put it back in sinus rthym. My heart wouldn't stay in sinus rythm so they finally quit giving the cardioversions to me. But the a fib went away on it's own.

The doctor called the propofol "Michael Jackson juice." You wear an oxygen mask and breathe it in. It's a pretty easy way to go to sleep. And I never felt any of the 4 electrical shocks I was given.

Coming back to was kind of trippy. It was like being half asleep and half awake....and with hallucinations. Then my vision came back very blurry at first but cleared up. The whole experience wasn't bad at all.

Comments

splitthis:
    POKER FAG ALERT! POKER FAG ALERT! FOR GAY SEX CONTACT SLOPPY JOE.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Finally, some good news in 2021.

Sure, there have been some frustrations this week. Republicans lost the Senate, Trump's 2-month meltdown culminated in weirdos storming the Capitol, making my entire party look bad, and I had the wrong time for the easiest NBA under in the world, and didn't get to bet it.

However, I got an e-mail from the doctor's office that they no longer do the horrible COVID test way up your nose, and instead have changed to a much easier one.

I was really dreading that awful test. Now I don't have to take it.
    I have been required to be tested "randomly" for work. We do the saliva test now and the only bad part is not eating/drink/putting anything in your mouth for 30 minutes prior to the test. Trying to spit in a tube with dry mouth is kind of annoying..

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    I have a family history of cancer, so I have had one done. The prep, I just did what they prescribed. It is awful tasting but it cleans you out for sure. When you get there they simply give you an injection which makes you drowsy and impairs your memory. You absolutely cannot drive after the procedure because you are definitely in a fog, which is why they insist you have a driver attend. You simply lie on your back and doze off, and you come around in less than an hour. The Doc will burn off any polyps which is painless. The whole procedure in uneventful, you go home and crash for 3 hours and you are fine. You won't take a shit for a couple days because there is nothing in your system.

I have been told by more than one person, those that do their own homegrown prep does not clean our your pipes 100%, making the test much less effective simply because there is still shit in the system and the polyps which drive cancer are blocked from view. I am not sure why anyone would not simply take what is prescribed. Why go through the procedure at all if you still have 10% of shit in your system which could make one polyp go unnoticed. Seems like a waste of time; Steve Jobs did his own cancer treatment for like a year and it killed him long term.

Colon cancer is the easiest cancer to prevent, but outside of pancreatic and brain cancer the toughest to treat. I have friends for whatever reason refuse to get a colonoscopy, usually saying they don't want anything up their ass. You never feel a thing and never remember the actual insertion. Anyone that does not get a colonoscopy over the age of 45, and certainly 50 is a first grade idiot. LOL and not wanting anything up your ass as a reason not to get the test, if you get colon cancer you likely will end up dead or with a bag attached to your hip for life.
    The "homegrown" preps are off-label but in wide use. They did studies on whether the Miralax (off-label) or Suprep (nasty tasting prescription stuff) is more effective. Believe it or not, they came up about the same in one study, and another actually showed the Miralax one was better!

There simply is no reason to do the nasty Suprep one, unless you have a problem drinking a lot of liquid at once (I don't have that problem). I just think it's one of those things in medicine where there's an easy way and the hard way, and the hard way doesn't benefit you any. The doctors don't bother pushing you to the easy way because it's easier to fuck up the prep, so they just give you the sure thing (Suprep) and obviously don't care if you detest the taste.

Steve Jobs got pancreatic cancer, which is pretty much just running bad. There's no way to prevent it, and as you mentioned, almost impossible to treat. You're basically fucked when you get that.

It's nice that colon cancer is preventable, provided you get the colonoscopies done in time. I will admit I regret not having it done yet, though honestly I was about to do it in early 2020 when COVID showed up. I have a little concern that I will wake up and they will tell me they saw cancerous-looking polyps, or that they saw stage 1 cancer in there. However, aside from the mild anemia readings in October, I do not have any of the symptoms. I don't even have anemia symptoms.

I won't be driving home from the procedure, and I plan to take a nap after that, before I drive anywhere at all.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post

Steve Jobs got pancreatic cancer, which is pretty much just running bad. There's no way to prevent it, and as you mentioned, almost impossible to treat. You're basically fucked when you get that.
    Steve Jobs was diagnosed circa 2005 and he actually had the 10% version of pancreatic cancer that was treatable. Issue was he went to herbal treatments for like 9 months, which obviously is a joke and it caused his cancer to spread. He then went to chemo/surgery and it kept him alive for a few years. While there are no guarantees, most doctors insist if he treated it right away he would have lasted a few more years. Herbal medicines are flat out dangerous and provide false hope which generally kills people sooner then they would usually expire.

As far as your prep, you are really wrong. The prescribed prep definitely works and is 99%+ effective, your version is probably 80% effective, if that. If you are not shitting out water at the end, you are basically wasting your time in going through the procedure and might as well cancel it. Yeah, the solution tastes awful, but it goes down you throat in a couple minutes. I have never understood why people go on to the Internet for medical advice when a doctor tells you something totally different.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    At the end of that prep you should be human Keurig machine...

Load Metric
    This month I will be having my first colonoscopy. I am almost 49 years old.

My grandmother on my dad's side died of colon cancer at age 66.

My dad was probably very close to colon cancer at age 55, as they found a precanerous polyp in him which looked "super close" to going cancerous. That was his first colonoscopy, so he probably dodged a bullet by a narrow margin, and thankfully is still alive today.

Now I'm only about 6 years younger than he was. I should have had a colonoscopy already, but I just haven't. I was going to in early 2020, but these were shut down during the early coronavirus days, and I didn't reschedule near the end of the year, putting my appointment in about 2 weeks.

I am electing to use propofol (shout out to Michael Jackson). I have heard the colonoscopy without the propofol is awful, so I'm not doing that, even though I really really really hate the idea of being put under.

I am doing the Miralax + Gatorade prep. They tried to prescribe me the awful, salty SUPREP, which everyone seems to hate. I said fuck no, give me the Miralax one, and they switched it. From my research, the two are about equivalent in effectiveness, so I don't know why they don't just direct people to the easier one by default.

Since a lot of people here are old, I imagine some of you have had one.

If you have had a colonoscopy, please post about your experience.

1) Did you use SUPREP or Miralax/Gatorade?

2) What advice would you give to a first-time person doing this?

3) Did you use propofol? What was that experience like?

Interested to hear these answers.

For those of you that don't know, colon cancer is 100% preventable if you get colonoscopies at recommended intervals. This is because polyps grow very slowly, so they can keep finding them and cutting them out before they can do you harm.

My mom has never had a polyp yet, nor has anyone on her side of the family, so I've got that going for me. My dad's side, not all that good. This is apparently very hereditary.

No trolling or junk posts here, please.

Once I have the colonoscopy, I will post about my experience and answer any questions people have.
    Make sure you get a copy of a picture of your ileocecal valve. I framed mine.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Anyway the only reason I posted about my Dad and bro is that you SHOULD feel fine after a day, if you feel off or have any weird symptoms then don’t ignore them.

Load Metric
    I forget which mix I used. They knock you out , I didn't feel a thing. Did it in about 10 minutes I was in and out no reason not to get it done, would encourage you to get it no side effects for me.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

So I'm getting really confused regarding the prep. Lemon/line Gatorade sucks. I really don't want to have to use it, and the clear flavors kinda blow too.

I bought this one about a week ago, in preparation for the colonoscopy:

Doesn't taste great -- FAR inferior to the red and orange -- but it's okay. Anyway, now I'm reading by googling that you're not supposed to use blue gatorade for the prep, either. It's universally agreed that you can't use red (because it can look like blood in the colon), and orange and purple are also mostly frowned upon, because they are a form of red.

But then there's some prep instructions (from reputable centers around the US) telling you not to use blue, and others even saying not to use green! (I realize that green is a form of blue, though.)

Is it possible that they're just trying to push people away from darker colors? The Gatorade Glacier Freeze as light blue and see-through, as you can probably see in the pic above.

I really don't feel like re-ordering the Gatorade at this point.

My own doctor's prep says to just avoid red (nothing about orange or purple). When I e-mailed and asked about blue, I was told blue was fine, but that was from the office manager, and I can't totally trust that. That same office manager told me that aspirin was okay to take up to 24 hours prior to the procedure, which isn't true (and the doctor later verified was wrong info.)

Anyone know what the story is here?

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Not allowed to drink anything but water bro.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post

You are allowed to drink a whole lot of things up until 4 hours before the colonoscopy, as long as they are classified as "clear liquid" beverages. Even coffee is okay. That's universally agreed upon. Once the 4-hour mark hits, you can't eat or drink anything.

I'm asking about the prep portion -- where you put the Miralax into Gatorade, and drink it. The only question is whether light blue Gatorade is allowed. I think it is, but I'm finding contradictory info online.

Diamond
    Load Metric

You are allowed to drink a whole lot of things up until 4 hours before the colonoscopy, as long as they are classified as "clear liquid" beverages. Even coffee is okay. That's universally agreed upon. Once the 4-hour mark hits, you can't eat or drink anything.

I'm asking about the prep portion -- where you put the Miralax into Gatorade, and drink it. The only question is whether light blue Gatorade is allowed. I think it is, but I'm finding contradictory info online.

The less you think about this procedure, the easier it will be for you. Stop being a Jew for once and just go with the flow(no pun intended)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BTW, score another point for caffeine -- a "drug" which I feel is currently very underrated for its health benefits.

Coffee drinkers were found to have a much lower incidence of colon cancer, though interestingly, decaffeinated coffee drinkers also seem to get some kind of protection as well. So it seems that it's caffeine and other elements in coffee which together form the protection.

Caffeine has also been found to decrease suicidal feelings by about 50%: https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...suicide-by-50/

Caffeine has gotten a bad rap over the years because about 40% of the population doesn't metabolize it well, and tends to get negative effects overall rather than positive. Research has focused too much on that 40%, and ignored other 60% -- two thirds of which metabolize it quickly, and are believed to get all of the good from caffeine, without any of the bad.

You can easily test whether or not you metabolize caffeine well. If you can drink coffee or caffeinated soda and go right to sleep without issue, you are a fast (good) metabolizer of it. If it keeps you awake but otherwise caffeine seems to help you, then you're a medium metabolizer. If it keeps you awake AND you find caffeine gives you jitters or other undesirable side-effects, you are a slow metabolizer of it (bad), and you should avoid it. This is genetic, btw.

Load Metric

are you looking forward to large amount of gas that will be coming out of you after the procedure?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

The less you think about this procedure, the easier it will be for you. Stop being a Jew for once and just go with the flow(no pun intended)
    I can't because this is an important question about the prep.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    It's fitting that I'm going to start off the Biden term with a colonoscopy.

I should have actually scheduled it for January 20th at 9am PST.

Comments

BCR: I went with similar things to that. I just avoided the red and dark stuff. I’ve never seen avoid blue, so nothing to offer.

Load Metric
    Druff- Would Gatorade Ice work?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    Druff- Would Gatorade Ice work?

Yeah but that wasn't there when I bought it. I really don't want to hassle with buying anything else unless necessary.

Load Metric
    U can’t have anything resembling red so it is not confused with blood in your gi tract.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Thread Information