Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2021 Thread

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Bizarre first Dodgers game.

Dodgers had 10 baserunners in first 3 innings, scored only 1 run.

[The oddest play -- one I've never seen before -- was where Bellinger hit a home run, it looked to baserunner Turner like it was caught, so Turner ran back to first, and passed Bellinger. This nullified the HR, made Bellinger out (and it was called a single), but Turner was allowed to come around to score because the ball was in the stands!

Dodgers down 2-1 in the 4th.

Also, the KC/Tex game I bet on (I had Texas +140), looked like a lock when the Rangers were up 5-0 in the first with 2 runners on. By the end of the first it was 5-5. Then Texas had it back to 6-5 with the bases loaded in the 2nd, but couldn't score more.

I’ll have to look for that highlight. I’ve seen base runners cross, but never on a HR.

Load Metric

At what point should the Nats be forced to play without the 3 positives? Shouldn't they use taxi squad?

Load Metric
    MLB pulls 2021 All-Star game out of Atlanta

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/02/s...33b24356e66ef1

Baseball Pulls All-Star Game from Georgia in Response to Voting Law
    Major League Baseball said it would remove its midsummer showcase and its annual entry draft as a response to the state’s new voting law.

By James Wagner and Kevin Draper
    April 2, 2021
    Updated 3:42 p.m. ET
    Major League Baseball pulled its summer All-Star Game out of suburban Atlanta on Friday, the first major rebuke to the new Republican-backed elections law in Georgia that particularly curtails voting access in the state’s urban areas.

The decision by the baseball commissioner, Rob Manfred, came after days of pressure from civil rights groups and the Major League Baseball Players Association. The league is the first entity to take significant action in response to the law, which introduced stricter identification requirements for absentee balloting, limited the use of drop boxes and expanded the Legislature’s power over elections.

In a statement, Manfred said that after conversations with teams, players, former stars and players union officials he had concluded that “the best way to demonstrate our values as a sport is by relocating this year’s All-Star Game and MLB Draft.”

Baseball said it was finalizing details about new locations for this year’s All-Star Game and the draft.

Earlier this week, President Biden joined a growing call for the relocation of the game, which had been slated to be held in Atlanta this summer, because of a new voting law in Georgia that he and civil rights groups have said will have an outsize impact on people of color.

In a television interview with ESPN ahead of M.L.B.’s opening day on Thursday, Biden said he would “strongly support” moving the All-Star Game out of Atlanta.

Biden, a Democrat, called Georgia’s law and similarly restrictive voting bills that Republicans are advancing in almost every state “Jim Crow on steroids.”

Georgia Democrats had not called for a boycott of the game but were building pressure on Major League Baseball and other Georgia-based corporations to oppose the state’s new voting law.

Stacey Abrams, the titular leader of the state’s Democrats, said Thursday that Georgia companies shouldn’t face boycotts “yet” over the law. Senator Jon Ossoff said there should be no boycott of Georgia or Georgia companies, but that companies upset about the law should “stop any financial support to Georgia’s Republican Party.”

At least one Georgia Democrat, Teri Anulewicz, whose Cobb County district includes the Braves’ stadium, expressed disappointment that it would no longer host the game.

Georgia Republicans have scoffed at the prospect of boycotts. After Coca-Cola objected to the law, David Ralston, the State House Speaker, told reporters he drank a Pepsi, an act of heresy in Coke-dominated Atlanta.

In an interview earlier this week with The Associated Press, Manfred had hinted that he was strongly considering moving the game but declined to make any firm commitments.

“I am talking to various constituencies within the game and I’m just not going beyond that in terms of what I would consider or not consider,” Manfred said at the time.

Tony Clark, the executive director of the M.L.B. Players Association, has said the union was willing to discuss pulling the game, scheduled for July 13 at Atlanta’s Truist Park, the home of the Atlanta Braves.

Comments

MrTickle: rare W for manfred

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Name:  manfred.PNG
Views: 194
Size:  1.6 KB

except it's the complete opposite...

(1) if you look at all the atlanta representatives to the GA assembly, they're all dems...gonna guess they weren't down for this bill...
    (2) if you look at where this game is taking place, atlanta, imma gonna guess there's a lotta black owned businesses that would have benefitted from the ASG being in atlanta...probably more disproportionately than the majority of the cities in the US...meaning im gonna take a stab and say the ATL has a greater percentage of black owned small businesses than most places in the country...

so while the MLB is doing the good cancel culture thing they're actually punishing people who probably voted against this bill and punishing minority owned small businesses...WELL DONE MLB!!!

im sure the owners of the braves will be doing just fine by losing this one event while they rake in hundreds of millions from their TV deals, licensing rights, etc., etc...

Load Metric
    https://www.mlb.com/press-release/pr...-all-star-game

MLB statement regarding 2021 All-Star Game
    11:56 AM PDT

Commissioner of Baseball Robert D. Manfred, Jr. issued the following statement today regarding the 2021 All-Star Game:

“Over the last week, we have engaged in thoughtful conversations with Clubs, former and current players, the Players Association, and The Players Alliance, among others, to listen to their views. I have decided that the best way to demonstrate our values as a sport is by relocating this year’s All-Star Game and MLB Draft.

“Major League Baseball fundamentally supports voting rights for all Americans and opposes restrictions to the ballot box. In 2020, MLB became the first professional sports league to join the non-partisan Civic Alliance to help build a future in which everyone participates in shaping the United States. We proudly used our platform to encourage baseball fans and communities throughout our country to perform their civic duty and actively participate in the voting process. Fair access to voting continues to have our game’s unwavering support.

“We will continue with our plans to celebrate the memory of Hank Aaron during this season’s All-Star festivities. In addition, MLB’s planned investments to support local communities in Atlanta as part of our All-Star Legacy Projects will move forward. We are finalizing a new host city and details about these events will be announced shortly.”

Load Metric
    This isn't the first time a major sports league has moved its All-Star game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_All-Star_Game

"The 2017 All-Star Weekend was originally awarded to Charlotte, North Carolina. On March 23, 2016, North Carolina passed House Bill 2, also known as a "bathroom bill," which was seen as discriminatory against transgender persons. As a result, the NBA announced that it would move the game to another city if the bill was not repealed or revised. After North Carolina took no action, on July 21, 2016, the NBA announced that the 2017 game would be moved to New Orleans. In March 2017, after several provisions of the bill were partially repealed, the NBA awarded the 2019 All-Star Weekend to Charlotte."

Gold
    Load Metric
    LOL so lame! Pointless virtue signaling. WTF is this crap?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Really dumb.

It's not even like Georgia did something egregious to suppress voting. There is reasonable debate on both sides about the new law there, and it's a complex matter which can't just simplistically be chalked up to "voter suppression".

It's insane that MLB is getting involved in this. It's bad enough that they aligned themselves with the radical BLM organization last year, but at least that seemed to just be performative on Opening Day, and then the entire matter disappeared from baseball.

To actually move the All-Star Game over a complex political matter regarding voter rules is just awful. MLB should really stay out of political matters. What's next? Holding the All-Star game only in cities which have demonstrated sufficient wokeness?

Corporate spinelessness, once again...

Load Metric
    Portland would volunteer to host the woke ASG, but by the third inning there would be a tent community at 2nd base.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Portland would volunteer to host the woke ASG, but by the third inning there would be a tent community at 2nd base.

100%
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Bauer no hits through 6 in Colorado, in his first Dodgers start!

Load Metric
    Aiming to see the Dodgers, Angels, A's and Padres play over a 2 week trip in CA this summer so my dad can hit his goal of seeing a game from every team.

Was always a fun time in the summer going with him to various parks; almost always a trip to Chicago every summer as well.

We got Seattle and San Francisco checked off when I first moved west, ready to help him cross the finish line this year!
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    Aiming to see the Dodgers, Angels, A's and Padres play over a 2 week trip in CA this summer so my dad can hit his goal of seeing a game from every team.

Was always a fun time in the summer going with him to various parks; almost always a trip to Chicago every summer as well.

We got Seattle and San Francisco checked off when I first moved west, ready to help him cross the finish line this year!
    Hopefully Oakland is playing @ Anaheim for that trip, so you dont have to visit that hellhole in Oakland.

I saw plenty of Twins games at the shitty Metrodome as a kid, where the seats were askew for baseball, but at least there was never a sewage break.

I really like the Seattle park for games. I legit can't remember what it is called now. The whole corporate naming rights thing doesn't work very well when it's a new sponsor every two years.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Price is so bad. The Dodgers are using him for trash time now, and even there he gives up runs. The guy is 100% just riding out his contract to collect the $64 million he's owed. Fortunately the Dodgers only have to pay half of it. I guess that was just part of the cost of getting Mookie, who definitely is looking like a great pickup/signing.

Dodgers offense looking incredibly strong this year. I realize they played 4 games in Coors, but tonight was in Oakland and they still put up 10.

Seager hitting like an MVP, Muncy seems to be back, Turner is still somehow productive despite being 36, and Will Smith is now raking. Then you have the 2019 MVP and the 2020 near-MVP in the lineup, in Belligner and Betts.

Padres are already looking human. I don't think it will be all that close regarding which team wins the NL West.

Oh, and as much as I hate to admit it, the #FakeDodgers (Royals) are actually looking fairly good again. Don't let jsearles see this.

Load Metric
    Price is so bad. The Dodgers are using him for trash time now, and even there he gives up runs. The guy is 100% just riding out his contract to collect the $64 million he's owed. Fortunately the Dodgers only have to pay half of it. I guess that was just part of the cost of getting Mookie, who definitely is looking like a great pickup/signing.

Dodgers offense looking incredibly strong this year. I realize they played 4 games in Coors, but tonight was in Oakland and they still put up 10.

Seager hitting like an MVP, Muncy seems to be back, Turner is still somehow productive despite being 36, and Will Smith is now raking. Then you have the 2019 MVP and the 2020 near-MVP in the lineup, in Belligner and Betts.

Padres are already looking human. I don't think it will be all that close regarding which team wins the NL West.

Oh, and as much as I hate to admit it, the #FakeDodgers (Royals) are actually looking fairly good again. Don't let jsearles see this.
    I’m legitimately interested where you came up with #fakeDodgers? I see no similarities in the teams strategy or construction or fan bases or literally anything at all.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    #FakeDodgers

Load Metric

Those are obviously very similar. The Royals have worn some iteration of those jerseys since 1969 though. The Dodgers worn very similar jerseys as early as 1939.
    Name:  E39CBEA1-154B-45A2-BA5D-3FAD136FBF59.png
Views: 168
Size:  225.3 KB

Point being, I’m not sure your attempt at insult makes much sense or hits the mark considering they’ve had the same uniform for 50+ years
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    A quick google image search shows nearly identical uniforms worn by Orioles, Nationals, Indians, and Reds as well.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    You're thinking about this one too hard.

#FakeDodgers

Thread Information