Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2021 Thread

Load Metric

At least they know it's not going to really happen, might as well sim it in the spring.

Comments

MrTickle: fake news

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

At least they know it's not going to really happen, might as well sim it in the spring.
    lol that's funny.

fucking dodgers. so pathetic that they're so afraid to falling behind the padres they had to go out and get bauer when they didn't even need him.

now their young pitchers get fucked. can't even comprehend mays not being in the SR. even with bauer the pads might be able to take the division.

could easily see a nym vs la/sd wildcard game. and that game goes either way.

carassco just has to pitch like he's capable of and he could easily be close to bauer.

the mets not getting bauer really hurts. they go from a legit ws team to one that could easily be in a 1 game wildcard
    Last edited by mulva; 03-11-2021 at 05:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Dodgers pitchers are always getting injured, so they probably did need Bauer.

Kershaw, Price, Buehler all have had injury issues in the last few years.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Dodgers pitchers are always getting injured, so they probably did need Bauer.

Kershaw, Price, Buehler all have had injury issues in the last few years.

yeah,..sure they did. like i need 2lb's of gold because it's better than 1lb
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Dodgers sat for most of the 2010s making no major moves, while fielding a good team every year, which would fall short in the playoffs. Now, to be fair, they should have won 2017 against the cheating Astros, but the ownership was notoriously frugal given how good the team was and how large the market is.

For that reason, I can't feel bad that the Dodgers are finally spending.

It should also be noted that, aside from Betts, the rest of the Dodgers stars have either been homegrown or picked up from the scrap heap.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    To show you how meaningless spring stats can be, here's a story from 10 years ago.

In 2011, Jake Fox hit 10 HR in 27 spring games, and overall had one of the best offensive springs ever. What, you don't remember Jake Fox? That's because he barely played in the Majors, and he flamed out after this monster spring.

But he'll always have the spring of 2011 to remember.

https://www.mlb.com/news/the-best-spring-training-ever

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Lebron just bought into the group which owns the Red Sox, among other teams.

Despite his high NBA salary, he makes more off the court via endorsements and investments. He's definitely trying to become more of a Magic Johnson (minus the AIDS) than a Michael Jordan or Charles Barkley.

Load Metric
    https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2021/3...ague-all-stars

Kinda sad how a team made up of just dodgers-padres is about equal vs an all-star team of the rest of the NL.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2021/3...ague-all-stars

Kinda sad how a team made up of just dodgers-padres is about equal vs an all-star team of the rest of the NL.
    The NL West is funny in that they have the two best teams in the NL, and then 3 crap teams. The entire NL Central is mediocre, except the Pirates who are terrible. Then you have the east which is actually a 4-team race (all but the Marlins), where the Mets have the definite edge at the moment.

BTW, on the Dodgers' side, the starting pitching doesn't look as bulletproof as you'd think -- at least not in the spring. Buehler had a horrendous outing where he gave up 9 runs, Bauer hasn't looked impressive (and remember, he was mediocre every year except 2018 and 2020, where he was great), and Kershaw has lost speed off his fastball again. On the plus side, Gonsolin has looked tremendous so far (he needs to get a starting job).

I know it's just the spring though. Kershaw has always sucked in the spring, and Buehler's struggles were really limited to one terrible outing. Bauer says he's just experimenting when it doesn't count.

Justin Turner has been killing the ball in the spring at age 36, so hopefully he can delay father time a bit more. Seager looks primed for a very big year again.

Once I get vaccinated, I will try to go to a Dodgers/Padres game... maybe even in San Diego.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    the dodgers are good enough to win 120 games.

imagine being so flush with SP that mays, ryu, gonsolin, price, etc aren't guaranteed a start every 4 days

also,..lux may be ready to bust out and become a superstar

wtg mets. carrasco won't be back until prolly june. it was good run.

Load Metric
    MLB is making a big push on ball compliance. Have actual ball compliance officers at games this year and going to monitor spin rates. Early in year in cold climates when pine tar helps feel, and noted ball doctoring teams like Astros, makes me wonder about totals early before lines adjust. Might be a spot. Might be a spot for walk props also in cold weather games

Load Metric
    Seems like Lindor won't sign the 325/10 deal. It's already an overpay, so in reality it means he just doesn't wanna play for us. If a few more million would keep him, I say do it - but looks impossible now.

Next year he will be fighting against Seager, Story and Correa as the top SS and probably won't get as much - especially if he puts up his 2020 numbers in 2021.
    Last edited by MrTickle; 03-31-2021 at 02:54 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post
    Seems like Lindor won't sign the 325/10 deal. It's already an overpay, so in reality it means he just doesn't wanna play for us. If a few more million would keep him, I say do it - but looks impossible now.

Next year he will be fighting against Seager, Story and Correa as the top SS and probably won't get as much - especially if he puts up his 2020 numbers in 2021.
    10/341 appears done deal.

Fucking baseball.

Indians payroll $39 million.

Opening day boys.

Indians at Detroit. 70 degrees two days ago. Today in Detroit, high of 34. O/U on hits 9 by both teams if I was making line. Straight from Arizona and Florida into 34 degrees for two shitty teams.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    These contracts are getting crazy.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/01/steve-...dor-get-a-way/

He had a down year last year, hitting only .258 with 8 HR, and career OPS is .834. How does that get you 10 years, $341m at age 27, even as a shortstop?

It's the third biggest contract, behind Trout and Betts, both of whom are special players. Lindor is good, but he's not even close to the same class as Betts or Trout.

Steve Cohen said he wants to spend "like the Dodgers", but he hasn't been watching closely. The Dodgers passed on every possible large free agent they could have signed, up until Betts. They kicked the tires with others, but they ended up only committing to Betts. Bauer's contract was very high per year, but the total value wasn't all that high. They're basically overpaying for what they presume will be his best few years, and then can be rid of him if he declines.

Look at the best players on the Dodgers over the last several years, aside from Betts -- Bellinger, Buehler, Seager, Muncy, Turner, Kershaw... these were all home grown players or ones they picked from the scrap heap. The Dodgers didn't spend themselves to victory.

Mets should be strong this year, but boy are they potentially fucking themselves for the future.

Load Metric
    These contracts are getting crazy.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/01/steve-...dor-get-a-way/

He had a down year last year, hitting only .258 with 8 HR, and career OPS is .834. How does that get you 10 years, $341m at age 27, even as a shortstop?

It's the third biggest contract, behind Trout and Betts, both of whom are special players. Lindor is good, but he's not even close to the same class as Betts or Trout.

Steve Cohen said he wants to spend "like the Dodgers", but he hasn't been watching closely. The Dodgers passed on every possible large free agent they could have signed, up until Betts. They kicked the tires with others, but they ended up only committing to Betts. Bauer's contract was very high per year, but the total value wasn't all that high. They're basically overpaying for what they presume will be his best few years, and then can be rid of him if he declines.

Look at the best players on the Dodgers over the last several years, aside from Betts -- Bellinger, Buehler, Seager, Muncy, Turner, Kershaw... these were all home grown players or ones they picked from the scrap heap. The Dodgers didn't spend themselves to victory.

Mets should be strong this year, but boy are they potentially fucking themselves for the future.
    He has spent more money on a painting. Who cares? Better in Lindor's pocket. Let's go Mets!

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post

10/341 appears done deal.

Fucking baseball.

Indians payroll $39 million.

Opening day boys.

Indians at Detroit. 70 degrees two days ago. Today in Detroit, high of 34. O/U on hits 9 by both teams if I was making line. Straight from Arizona and Florida into 34 degrees for two shitty teams.
    Just remember that Comerica is the only major league park where the diamond faces south.

The wind will be howling out to dead center.

OVER 7 -120 @ Circa for me in Detroit today.

Comments

BCR: Good tidbit. I still wouldn’t bet over myself, but good luck, and I hope there is some offense if they play.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Lebron just bought into the group which owns the Red Sox, among other teams.

Despite his high NBA salary, he makes more off the court via endorsements and investments. He's definitely trying to become more of a Magic Johnson (minus the AIDS) than a Michael Jordan or Charles Barkley.
    I think you’re completely underselling Michael Jordan’s off the court impact here. He made less than 100 million in career NBA earnings yet is a billionaire that owns a NBA team. Obviously a big part of that came from Nike but he also had huge endorsement deals with McDonald’s, Gatorade, Coca-Cola, Wheaties, Hanes etc. He also invested in car dealerships and restaurants etc. He even starred in Space Jam during his playing career. You know who else just starred in a Space Jam remake? Lebron James.

Load Metric
    I’m shocked a Jordon and Lebron aren’t worth more than they are.

When Kylie Jenner has a larger net worth than Lebron, it would seem some mistakes were made in not taking a piece of multiple small companies and hoping one would pop, as that’s made many astronomically wealthy quickly.

It’s possible the endorsements they do have might prohibit them doing that. I’d guess in the future, people might eschew conventional endorsements for taking 30% of multiple upstarts and pimping them non stop on social media

Load Metric
    Mets-Nats postponed due to positive tests in Washington camp. Opening Day baby...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Bizarre first Dodgers game.

Dodgers had 10 baserunners in first 3 innings, scored only 1 run.

The oddest play -- one I've never seen before -- was where Bellinger hit a home run, it looked to baserunner Turner like it was caught, so Turner ran back to first, and passed Bellinger. This nullified the HR, made Bellinger out (and it was called a single), but Turner was allowed to come around to score because the ball was in the stands!

Dodgers down 2-1 in the 4th.

Also, the KC/Tex game I bet on (I had Texas +140), looked like a lock when the Rangers were up 5-0 in the first with 2 runners on. By the end of the first it was 5-5. Then Texas had it back to 6-5 with the bases loaded in the 2nd, but couldn't score more.

Comments

jsearles22: 1st opening day game in MLB history that both teams scored 4+ in the first inning

Thread Information