Page 28 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2021 Thread

Load Metric
    The famous Japanese slugger Sadaharu Oh produced a beautiful crack with handmade tamo-wood bats. And the legendary scout Buck O’Neil once said that only Ruth, Josh Gibson and Bo Jackson could generate a sound like that. But there remains something different about the sound that emanates from Ohtani’s bat. For one, it is loud. It is also perfectly toned, the crack of the kind of textured percussion that usually demands headphones. And on the night of April 4, it was so loud that some viewers assumed it must have been enhanced by ESPN’s “Sunday Night Baseball” broadcast.

Phil Orlins, ESPN’s lead producer for its MLB coverage, assures that it was not. The sound was natural. As Ohtani swung at a high fastball from the White Sox’s Dylan Cease, the high-speed collision of ball and bat was picked up by four wireless mics buried in front of home plate at Angel Stadium. It was then transmitted to a production truck, added to the broadcast’s sound mix, and sent out to viewers across the country. “Exactly the way it sounds if you’re standing by the batting cage during BP,” Orlins says
    -The Athletic

I would like to see the addition of Manny Ramirez to the list but ….

Load Metric
    You get around gut.

You ever read any kind of personality profile for the inscrutable Ohtani?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    You get around gut.

You ever read any kind of personality profile for the inscrutable Ohtani?
    Nothing negative yet. Everything I've read is just a funny, popular with teammates dude. Quiet side, but that is true of all ballplayers who are ESL people.

I remember the same type of profiles on Ichiro also, until maybe a little later in his career when some would mention him being an extreme perfectionist, and could be a little off-putting when working out or practicing if the sessions were not up to his expectations. Perhaps that is Ohtani also? Not too bad if that is your main fault.

I bet MLB wishes they could combine Trout and Ohtani into 1 person. That singular person would be a new Dimaggio marketing/popularity wise.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Speaking of steals. You would need one of those dogs from a K-9 unit to find any positive baserunning stats for the Dodgers this year. They don’t care about small ball.

I am pulling together my thesis for the playoffs and most notable is the one run game stat. There was ANOTHER one run loss by the Dodgers last night. That is their 21st one run loss. The playoffs are tighter games and relying on a home-run (slugging) is not a tournament success formula.

In contrast, the Giants are otherworldly in one run games.

the Dodgers lead Major League Baseball in men left on base with 851. Even the lowly Arizona Diamondbacks who have been the worst team in the league this year leave fewer men on base than Los Angeles.

In waltzes smoove Trea Turner @ #4 in steals. He’s not a complete antidote for what ails the Dodgers but one hell of a bolt on. $300 million solves problems.
    I seem to remember the '88 Dodgers also sucked in 1-run games, and look what happened to them.

Also, another way to look at this is how good the Dodgers have been otherwise.

In games which aren't 1-run, they are 56-25.

In games which aren't extra innings, they are 68-35.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Marlins14 - Cubs 4 in 4th inning over under was 7.5

Rays winning, Cruz homered in return to Minnesota

Reds winning liked that with the + but found out I was getting sued right when I was looking at games

Boston looking to sweep Orioles this weekend a team that will be beat down badly by AL East rest of way

Gold
    Load Metric
    Inside the park home run Kevin Kiermier

Load Metric
    Muncy laser (green) in the eyes 9th inning

That should be equivalent to a balk against the home team or something. Fans will exact the punishment on their own if it risks costing them a game. Fan interference kind of thing. A public beating is a deterrent. Home security might let it continue.

Happening more frequently

Load Metric
    Name:  5F892049-F5D6-4A6B-8549-1103B45ACC5E.jpeg
Views: 175
Size:  472.0 KB

They forgot
    1st WAR
    1st extra bases

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Muncy laser (green) in the eyes 9th inning

That should be equivalent to a balk against the home team or something. Fans will exact the punishment on their own if it risks costing them a game. Fan interference kind of thing. A public beating is a deterrent. Home security might let it continue.

Happening more frequently
    How was this guy not arrested?

Load Metric
    Gilbert no hitter in first start for the Dbacks.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Gilbert no hitter in first start for the Dbacks.
    Was there and was amazing. Ironic thing is I wasn’t going to go initially but something just subconsciously made me want to go. First no hitter ever by a Dbacks pitcher at home.. First time since 1953 a pitcher threw a no no in his first MLB start by any pitcher.

Load Metric
    Dave Roberts (every players buddy) letting Trea Turner try practice 2nd on Sunday Night Baseball

They are already a poor defensive team. Why? Poor Scherzer.

Why do I get involved with this team? I normally trust my eyes.

Can’t wait for playoffs

Load Metric
    The judgement on that Dodgers-Nats trade can't be made until years down the road, but right now you can add the Padres not just indirectly, but directly, getting fucked by that deal, as instead of getting Scherzer they now have signed Jake Arrieta, after he was released by the Cubs. Thats just sad. Too bad their top pitching prospect Gore forgot how to pitch. Should have included him in that Snell trade instead of Patino.

Of course still time for Darvish to get healthy and fulfill San's wet dream of shutting out the Dodgers in the WC game.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    The judgement on that Dodgers-Nats trade can't be made until years down the road, but right now you can add the Padres not just indirectly, but directly, getting fucked by that deal, as instead of getting Scherzer they now have signed Jake Arrieta, after he was released by the Cubs. Thats just sad. Too bad their top pitching prospect Gore forgot how to pitch. Should have included him in that Snell trade instead of Patino.

Of course still time for Darvish to get healthy and fulfill San's wet dream of shutting out the Dodgers in the WC game.
    This is interesting. Arrieta. Maybe they are just playing out the string now. Everyone talking about the remaining 40 odd games and strength of schedule.

Padres have a brutal remaining schedule

Let’s see if they put Tatis in the lineup away from home. Give the public in San Diego some Tatis in the outfield hitting homers but otherwise start turning off the lights.

I took the Rockies in Colorado vs Padres. I gave it about 10 seconds of thought. Snap autobet.

I like baseball and parity isn’t a word I use very often but it’s gotten retarded.

Padres won’t stop Dodgers but we have CWS and others. Burning Scherzer in a wildcard game would be a nice start
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 08-16-2021 at 10:15 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

This is interesting. Arrieta. Maybe they are just playing out the string now. Everyone talking about the remaining 40 odd games and strength of schedule.

Padres have a brutal remaining schedule

Let’s see if they put Tatis in the lineup away from home. Give the public in San Diego some Tatis in the outfield hitting homers but otherwise start turning off the lights.

I took the Rockies in Colorado vs Padres. I gave it about 10 seconds of thought. Snap autobet.

I like baseball and parity isn’t a word I use very often but it’s gotten retarded.

Padres won’t stop Dodgers but we have CWS and others. Burning Scherzer in a wildcard game would be a nice start
    The Astros and Cubs "trust the process" tank jobs both working really fucked up the parity issue. Plus not enough owners in the old George Steinbrenner mold. Arte Moreno, bless his heart, at least tries.

Now all these financial industry owners can skimp their way into a profit every year while pointing to the Astros and Cubs as justification. The White Sox may very well be the next example, and the Tigers not long after that (check out what Torkelson and Greene are doing in their system).

Gold
    Load Metric
    Cruz homers, he crushes the weak Orioles

Zunino homered earlier he is in a hot streak

Was disappointed to see the Rays lose the weekend series at the Twins. Not acceptable

Always good to face Baltimore, Rays demolish them

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NickyPipes View Post

Was disappointed to see the Rays lose the weekend series at the Twins. Not acceptable

Everyone is up north for the summer or is it Delta Covid concerns. Red tide?

Move the team to Vegas where it’s cooler?

Our minor league team drew better that night.

Last edited by Sanlmar; 08-18-2021 at 07:14 AM.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Guy was safe at second and Arozarena missed the catch but the way he picked up the ball bare handed and launched it to second in one fluid athletic motion reminded me of Vlad Guerrero

Brother you can not teach a certain level of natural athleticism

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NickyPipes View Post

Everyone is up north for the summer or is it Delta Covid concerns. Red tide?

Move the team to Vegas where it’s cooler?

Our minor league team drew better that night.

Brother the attendance has always been a bit issue, it’s a true shame. They say if they build a new stadium in actual downtown Tampa area people would go. I’d guess that’d help on a nightly based, last year before COVID when Rays were wild card I remember the crowd being not half bad at end of season and playoffs against Astros

Not that it’s an achievement to have a decent crowd at high stakes game

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Looks like the Arrieta experiment FAILED.

He got hit hard, then left with an injury. Looks like he's done.

Padres now 9 behind the Dodgers, 12 behind the Giants, and 1.5 ahead of the Reds. Braves starting to take control of the NL East, too, and that might be over soon enough.

Might end up being an interesting battle for the second wildcard in the NL, between Phillies, Padres, Reds, and Cardinals.

Poor Dodgers are 75-46, with the second best record in MLB, and are 3 games out of first. Imagine having the 2nd best record in MLB and having to worry about being in a 1-game playoff. Either the Giants or Dodgers are going to be the #1 NL wildcard, so one of them will find themselves frustrated regarding the wildcard situation.

Sad!

Thread Information