Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2021 Thread

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Samson was ridiculing strength of schedule. He used the Dodgers as an example. I have always mocked the Dodgers records over the years. Samson said nobody cares if Dodgers are 10-1 against teams less than .500 and 6-5 against teams over .500

His exact words were “nobody cares”. Damnit, I care. It is the core of their fraud and the inflation of their recent reputation. It is precisely why they never won the big one.

I need to revisit his exact words or point. Why did he say that?
    Samson's point, I believe, was that the front office doesn't give a fuck that the Dodgers (for example) are 20-1 against AZ, Colorado, and the Nationals, and .500 against the rest, because if it adds up to enough wins to make the playoffs or wild card, it doesn;t matter who you beat how many times. You gotta play 'em all and you have to win X amount. How you do it is irrelevant at the end of the day. The front office isn;t betting the games daily like people here, their bet is essentially on the entire season.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Moved the Bauer discussion to its own thread:

https://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sh...d-a-weird-dude

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Dodgers up 22-1, tying their record output from 2001.

They had 2 outs in the bottom of the 8th with men on first and second against Reddick (lol), but a groundout prevented the record from breaking.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Acuña out for the year with torn ACL. That sucks.

As a Braves fan I hope they sell at deadline. They’ve been playing better recently but they ain’t winning shit without Acuña. Need to take advantage of opportunities to restock when you can. But they’re close enough to playoff race I doubt they sell. Hope I’m wrong.

Load Metric
    Watching the Twins-Tigers rn, and something that was nagging me all year I've finally realized what it is.

I really think the next "analytic" thing will be a complete reversal back to avoiding 3 true outcomes. The fielding is just atrocious this year in most games I've watched. Covid might still be a part of that, but also just general lack of chances with the way the game has been last 5-8 years. Baserunning about as bad. Need to get back to fundamentals.

Obviously, your Ohtani's and Tatis's and etc dont have to change anything, they'll hit and hit for power. But instead of preferring that guy who hits .205 with 21 hr's, get that speedy guy who can hit .275. I'm being simplistic with that description but ya know what I mean.

The Astros are kind of already doing that this year, although part of that might just be coincidentally the makeup of the team. Brantley and Altuve and Gurriel have always been "throwback" hitters.

beating the shift is the wildcard in this, but with the right type of lineup/coaching, it can be done.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yeah I have wondered when the three true outcome fad was going to end.

I think the fans like it, because it produces more home runs, and more impressive moments for the team to tweet. However, I have wondered if a team which goes the other way might be able to exploit it, especially given that defense sucks, the running game has died, and fundamentals are basically weak.

I think the value of the walk is here to stay, though.

Gold
    Load Metric
    More teams that do not have a realistic chance of being competitive through home runs should consider that.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I think the fans like it, because it produces more home runs, and more impressive moments for the team to tweet. However, I have wondered if a team which goes the other way might be able to exploit it, especially given that defense sucks, the running game has died, and fundamentals are basically weak.

A good eye will always play. Think of the early-mid 80's Royals and Cardinals teams. Good contact, a couple guys who could hit for power, fast/smart baserunning, solid enough on D, good walk/so ratios for the hitters.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheesfaced View Post
    Acuña out for the year with torn ACL. That sucks.

As a Braves fan I hope they sell at deadline. They’ve been playing better recently but they ain’t winning shit without Acuña. Need to take advantage of opportunities to restock when you can. But they’re close enough to playoff race I doubt they sell. Hope I’m wrong.
    Forgot to mention I had the Acuña over 38 HR total which he was on pace to crush that sucks as well.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Watching the Twins-Tigers rn, and something that was nagging me all year I've finally realized what it is.

I really think the next "analytic" thing will be a complete reversal back to avoiding 3 true outcomes. The fielding is just atrocious this year in most games I've watched. Covid might still be a part of that, but also just general lack of chances with the way the game has been last 5-8 years. Baserunning about as bad. Need to get back to fundamentals.

Obviously, your Ohtani's and Tatis's and etc dont have to change anything, they'll hit and hit for power. But instead of preferring that guy who hits .205 with 21 hr's, get that speedy guy who can hit .275. I'm being simplistic with that description but ya know what I mean.

The Astros are kind of already doing that this year, although part of that might just be coincidentally the makeup of the team. Brantley and Altuve and Gurriel have always been "throwback" hitters.

beating the shift is the wildcard in this, but with the right type of lineup/coaching, it can be done.
    Yeah, that was the problem I had with the Indians even before injuries ravaged them. Their defense sucked. Not one guy could lay a bunt down. We had like 5 utility infielders, but none that were a good shortstop. Hard to win with pithing/defense/base running missing 2/3 of the equation. Game is strange right now.

Load Metric

I would disagree, I'm pretty sure the fans don't like it because there's so, so little action involved. Home runs are great, but the interminable stretches in between pretty much make the game joyless. The entire idea of 3 outcomes means everyone in the field save the pitcher and catcher have literally nothing to do the bulk of the time, by design. That sucks ass to watch. The social media moments are great, but TV pays the bills, and baseball sucks on tv compared to not that long ago.

Comments

gut:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post

I would disagree, I'm pretty sure the fans don't like it because there's so, so little action involved. Home runs are great, but the interminable stretches in between pretty much make the game joyless. The entire idea of 3 outcomes means everyone in the field save the pitcher and catcher have literally nothing to do the bulk of the time, by design. That sucks ass to watch. The social media moments are great, but TV pays the bills, and baseball sucks on tv compared to not that long ago.
    Yeah, agreed. The game I mentioned watching today earlier was the most exciting game I had watched all year I think. Twins walk it off in bottom of the 10th with 12-9 victory. Now granted, this was all thanks to 2 shit bullpens, but there were some nice runs of guys choking up and hitting clutch singles the other way.

I am a baseball guy obviously, so I have equal fun watching what I just watched, or say DeGrom vs Kershaw to a 1-0 finish. But the young kids probably prefer the former, and a 2-1 game where the only 3 runs are scored on solo HR's isn't cutting it.

Load Metric
    Oakland just acquired Max Muncy.

The SS from Thousand Oaks HS.

5 picks before the Dodgers could have made that hilarious pick. It is kind of funny that Oakland took him though. Maybe they'll be patient enough this time.

Load Metric

5 picks before the Dodgers could have made that hilarious pick. It is kind of funny that Oakland took him though. Maybe they'll be patient enough this time.
    Obviously I associate Max Muncy with the Dodgers and when I saw the name and Thousand Oaks, I wondered if he had some father like George Foreman who named all his kids George. Had to look up bio of Dodgers Muncy to find he was from Tx.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

Obviously I associate Max Muncy with the Dodgers and when I saw the name and Thousand Oaks, I wondered if he had some father like George Foreman who named all his kids George. Had to look up bio of Dodgers Muncy to find he was from Tx.
    Yeah right....just a strange name to have two of them. Roy Williams, Chris Young....sure. But Max Muncy?

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

Yeah right....just a strange name to have two of them. Roy Williams, Chris Young....sure. But Max Muncy?
    What’s even stranger is both Max Muncy’s have the same birthday too.

Comments

BCR: I’m going to have to see him play to believe he really exists.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheesfaced View Post

What’s even stranger is both Max Muncy’s have the same birthday too.
    It's even stranger beyond that.

The A's drafted both, and the young Max Muncy's strengths are believed to be his "excellent plate discipline" and "potential power".

Sound like any Max Muncy we know?

I have to wonder if the A's almost saw this as a "do-over", as their giving up on the older Muncy is obviously something they regret. The Dodgers saw how good he was at judging balls and strikes, figured this was a low-risk, high-upside guy to grab, and look how it worked out. He only has the 5th best OPS in baseball, and the 3rd best in the NL this year. It's criminal that he's not starting the All Star game.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Oh apparently he's starting at DH. That's good. He deserves it.

Load Metric
    Angels draft 20 pitchers in a row. Round 1-20. ROFL

Comments

BCR: That’s legit hilarious. I guess they don’t want to see wats Trout/Ohtani.

Load Metric
    Yankees in covid hell right now.

Including Judge who was at the allstar game....

Thread Information