Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2021 Thread

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Mets going big on Bauer... or at least they're trying:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...3xAogXEhye6tNQ

Because they're the Mets, I'm sure Bauer will turn to dogshit after about half a season, and then his contract will drag the team down for the next 9 years.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    So let's play a guessing game: Who's that pitcher:

- After a few unsuccessful starts as a late callup in 2012, he had ERAs of 4.19 to 5.26 over the next 5 seasons, from 2013-2017

- His ERA in 2019 was 4.48

What kind of a contract would a pitcher like that get? Probably a very middling one, at best, right?

What if I told you that this pitcher is about to sing perhaps the richest contract for a pitcher ever?

Yes, that pitcher is Trevor Bauer. He's only had two good years -- 2018 and 2020.

While those were both excellent years, and while I think he is going to be very strong in the next few years, it's still a bit hard to wrap my head around him getting one of the richest contracts ever.

Makes it looks like Degrom got ripped off with his 5-year/$137m contract last year.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Joc Pederson to the Cubs.

They plan to play him every day, which is a

... as he is brutal against left handed pitchers.

He is a raw power guy and a true three-outcome player. Doesn't hit for average but walks a lot.

Great guy to have off the bench, and to have facing righties. Not so great to have playing every day. Good in the postseason, though ... if the Cubs make it!

This is the second part-time player with the Dodgers to go elsewhere for 2021. Kike Hernandez went to the Red Sox. This is actually going to hurt the Dodgers, because both of these guys provided both pop off the bench (or in a part-time role) and some postseason heroics. Now they are a bit thin in that area.

We're still waiting to see what happens with Justin Turner. He's 36 and has been asking for 4 years, which the Dodgers don't want to give. Turner has suffered more and more injuries as time has passed, and he's starting to decline. Big mistake to give him 4 years. Hopefully they can give him 2 and overpay him a bit, and he can retire as a Dodger.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Nolan Arenado to the Cardinals

Willie, how could you?

Comments

WillieMcFML: Love to see it

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Season appears like it will be starting on time, as the union and MLB couldn't come to an agreement regarding a delay and a 154-game season.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ay-2021-season

Load Metric
    Bauer is now a Todger.

Load Metric
    As expected from Bauer, a rather interesting contract. 3 years 102 million, with opt-outs every year. Heavily frontloaded though:

2021: 40m
    2022: 45m
    2023: 17m

So really, if he keeps pitching to recent form, its a 2 yr 85m contract. If he flames out (or gets caught doing whatever he did to drastically increase his spin rate) at least that 3rd year is palatable for an average pitcher.

If it was almost any other team I'd hate the deal, but its the Dodgers...so I guess they can throw money wherever they want. Injuries will happen of course, but with everyone healthy, I don't think Bauer is 40m better than May or Gonsolin in the rotation.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Funny to see him become a dodger after all of Todd’s sour grapes posts when he was going to the Mets.

Gooooo Dodgers!

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Manfred is going to pull the plug on April 1st being opening day some point soon. The owners desperately don't want to start the season without fans again , and even after getting the Cactus League officials to sign letter asking players to postpone Spring Training a month .... not to mention President Biden even chiming in with same thoughts ... the players still refuse so its only a matter of time before Manfred uses his powers to delay season without player approval.

Players are worried that delay might last more than a month which would then start chipping away at their paychecks. That 154 games for full pay was a good offer. IF it was guaranteed it would only be a month. Clearly that can't be guaranteed which is why the players want to start on time. Fans or no fans.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post
    Funny to see him become a dodger after all of Todd’s sour grapes posts when he was going to the Mets.

Gooooo Dodgers!
    I'm still skeptical, but the 3 year thing is fine. Like, yeah they're paying him a lot for 3 years, but the overall risk of $100m or so isn't horrible. What I was concerned about was that they'd commit to 7 years or something, and guarantee $240m, and he'd be an albatross if he ended up flaming out. Here the Dodgers only have him 3 years, and the third year is much cheaper, as gut pointed out.

The Dodgers front office obviously had the same concerns I did -- basically that he had only 2 good years (albeit 2 of the last 3), and the rest were very mediocre. So going forward, he may be a beast, or he may become the 2019 guy again.

Dodgers are probably a good place for him to land, regarding his future numbers, because they have this great offense behind him, so you have to imagine that a lot of times he'll get a bunch of run support at the beginning and just cruise. A lot easier to pitch that way when you have a failteam which is barely scoring.

So I'm happy about this. When I heard he signed, I thought, "Oh no... this isn't a guy you want to hand a huge contract to", but once I saw it was 3 years, I was very pleased.

Kershaw, Buehler, Bauer.... and then maybe Urias may have a great year, too. So combine that with the offense, and this is going to be a killer team. And that's what they need, given the Padres recent upgrades.

I want the vaccine so I can see this in person!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Dodgers and Padres both projected to be 100-win teams:

https://www.mlb.com/news/greatest-ti...206-156906-MLB

Load Metric
    So it'll be LA, San Diego, Cards, Mets, Braves in NL playoffs?
    Hi Lew!!!

Load Metric
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.esp...platform%3Damp

This is rough MLB news.

Pedro Gomez

Comments

WillieMcFML: yeah he did some great investigative work
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    There's some talk about Justin Turner going to the Mets, now that the Dodgers are past the luxury tax threshold and probably won't want to pay Turner a lot of money:

https://dodgersway.com/2021/02/06/do...bauer-signing/

Turner is 36 years old, and is also starting to experience injury issues and a slow decline.

I don't believe for a second that he'll go to the Mets. Last I heard, he hates them. Someone in the Mets organization actually tried to ruin his career in late 2013. An executive with the club surprisingly referred to offer to re-sign him at the Major League minimum (which was baffling, given his good performance off the bench and good defense), and then put out the word that he didn't hustle and was a clubhouse cancer. Teammates denied this was true, insisting that Turner was a good teammate who tried hard and got along with everyone, but the damage was done.

Clearly this was personal. This unnamed executive obviously had a personal dislike for Turner, and decided to fuck his career after kicking him out the door, by spreading false statements about him. The ploy seemed to work, as no team was going to touch Turner, a career reserve who just didn't seem worth taking with this supposed baggage.

The only reason he became prominent was due to a fluke. He happened to be a Cal State Fullerton alumni, as was Tim Wallach, then a Dodgers employee. Wallach saw him at an alumni baseball game in early 2014, noticed his form looked great, and asked him why he didn't have a team yet. Turner said he didn't know, and Wallach said he'd try to lobby the Dodgers to give him a shot. The Dodgers did, and the rest is history. Had it not been for the CSUF connection, Turner would have disappeared.

Anyway, he clearly held bitterness toward the Mets since then, and in fact seemed to destroy them every time the Dodgers faced them, in the first few years following the trade.

It's unclear if Turner knows who did this to him, and if that person is still with the team. Regardless, I can't imagine him returning there, especially since it's not like he needs the money.

Load Metric

Too many homers

baseballs being deadened. No more juiced baseballs. Don't know the difference will travel 3 to 5 feet less.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...on-per-report/

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This change will hurt the Dodgers, who are a power-offense team.

Ugh.

Load Metric
    The Dodger's own John Focht on a 4-day jeopardy winning streak

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Justin Turner BACK

2 years, $34m, club option for 3rd year

He wanted to come back, the Dodgers wanted him back, but there was a stalemate regarding contract length. Turner wanted 4 years, Dodgers only wanted to give him 2. He's 36 years old, born in late November 1984, just a month before another LA star -- Lebron James. Turner was the oldest player on the 2020 Dodgers team, taking that title after Rich Hill left.

He was huge in the 2020 World Series, and has had a lot of great postseason moments with the team, as well as a .302 average in his 7 seasons with the Dodgers. However, each year his injury issues seem to become more numerous, and he's been on a slow decline overall.

The Dodgers really wanted him back, though, because of both his team leadership skills and the fact that he's one of the favorites of fans. Turner, who was unceremoniously released and unfairly criticized by the Mets in December 2013, effectively ending his career, was given a chance by the Dodgers, and blew up at that point. Even though he came to the Dodgers at 29, his career is basically defined by the time he spent with them, making both sides really want him to return and end his career in LA.

I'm glad the Dodgers held firm on the 2-year thing, and I'm glad he's back.

Interestingly, they also picked up a backup for him -- minor leaguer Sheldon Neuse -- in a mostly-ignored trade yesterday with Oakland. Neuse is projected to be a third baseman (though he has positional versatility, as Turner once did), and hit very well at AAA in 2019. It is likely now that the Dodgers are hoping Neuse can eventually take over for Turner -- and perhaps immediately take over if Turner gets injured. The timing of the trade for Neuse -- which involved shipping away Adam Kolarek and promising prospect Cody Thomas -- was in preparation for signing Turner.

Load Metric
    What this ownership group is doing to my beloved Red Sox is a travesty. You are the Boston Red Sox with a history of supposed history of racism and you trade away the best young black player of the last 20 years in the name of reseting the luxury tax..... when you getting $1 a month from every house in New a England via your NESN deal. Now to follow up you start by trading away Benitendi for a ham sandwich. Your rotation is garbage.

Seriously fuck this team. If I still owned my season tickets I’d give them up.

Load Metric
    Padres do more than buyout Tatis's future arb years, they basically sign him for life. 14 years, $340m. Barring a catastrophic injury, this is an incredible steal for the team. $24.3m a year. You already have top pitchers making 40m a year on short deals. Tatis at that rate when he is 28-29-30 years old is gonna be a steal.

Really his closest comp (IMO) is his other rich teammate. A faster and better defending at SS Machado. Crazy how those guys are basically the exact same height and weight, but it seems like Tatis can run circles around Manny.

I can't think of many recent comps of this turning out poorly for the team, again barring catastrophic injury. Maybe BJ Upton is close, similar style player, and he peaked at age 22-23 then went downhill fast. But his age 20-21 years did not show the same promise as Tatis's have.

Thread Information