Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2021 Thread

Load Metric
    #fakeClevinger

Cubs closer Craig Kimbral 2011 actually has been at it longer than Jansen 2012 which is incredible for that role.

Offers a bit of an explaination or insight into both teams malaise too.

#greatest team ever

Load Metric
    Indians 5 starters and Clase make 3.52 million combined. This small market to the extreme tempers your expectations, but is fun to cheer for.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Dodgers having big time offense problems. I mean, yes they blew a 2-run lead in extras with 2 outs and one man on, but let's put that aside.

Muncy has that weird psychological issue going on regarding swinging at strikes. He hit a big HR today to tie the game, but I'm still skeptical.

Betts is hurting since the injury, and his numbers are showing it. He's just not going to be the same guy until he recovers.

Seager is slumping for some reason. Perhaps also hurting?

So when these three are struggling AND Bellinger is hurt AND the bench isn't very deep, this is what happens.

They're going to need to do something to right the ship... and soon.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Indians 5 starters and Clase make 3.52 million combined. This small market to the extreme tempers your expectations, but is fun to cheer for.
    Karinchak & Clase. Ridiculous goodness.

I have a signed Karinchak jersey in a shadow box frame. Bar bet with a non believer last year. Kid is a spazz but that’s wild thing for ya.

Comments

BCR: Yes, an omission. Throw another $585k on the pile.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Dodgers having big time offense problems. I mean, yes they blew a 2-run lead in extras with 2 outs and one man on, but let's put that aside.

Muncy has that weird psychological issue going on regarding swinging at strikes. He hit a big HR today to tie the game, but I'm still skeptical.

Betts is hurting since the injury, and his numbers are showing it. He's just not going to be the same guy until he recovers.

So when these three are struggling AND Bellinger is hurt AND the bench isn't very deep, this is what happens.

Fortunately, their 13-2 start has bought them time. LET'S GO BLUE CREW!

Load Metric
    Watched todays Twins-Rangers, it was a microcosm of their whole season thus far.

Got off to a quick lead with a first inning Buxton HR. He also had another great diving catch. Situation normal for him. MVP chants from the crowd. I appreciate the enthusiasm, but uh, lets get back to .500 first as a team.

Anyway, Tortuga hits a solo shot later, 3-1 lead. 9th inning, Rogers does his Colome impression and implodes, tie game going into the 10th. Twins bring in a AAAA pitcher, he gives up 3. 6-3 final. Twins now 0-6 in extra innings this year.

Buxton and Cruz are always showing up. The rest of the bats are all there 1 game, and then all quiet for the next 3. Frustrating to watch.
    Last edited by gut; 05-04-2021 at 10:14 PM.

Load Metric
    When I read this I immediately thought “he must have forgotten about Bieber.”

Then I looked it up. He only makes just under $700k this year. That’s pretty absurd. He’ll be at $15-20 million per in the next few seasons
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post

Then I looked it up. He only makes just under $700k this year. That’s pretty absurd. He’ll be at $15-20 million per in the next few seasons
    And he'll be a Yankee, Dodger, or some other big market in a few years too.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post

And he'll be a Yankee, Dodger, or some other big market in a few years too.
    No doubt. The Sabathia to Cliff Lee to Kluber and Bauer and Clevinger and Bieber minimum wage train of Cy Young worthy guys will eventually hit a dry patch, but their scouting and development of pitchers has been extraordinary for a long time. I start each year with the hope they keep me interested until college football, and fuck if they haven’t most of the time.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The bigger market clubs have started moving to do things like the Padres did with Tatis, giving an early, long-term extension to elite young players who are years from free agency.

However, the smaller clubs can't do that, and there still really needs to be some sort of fix in MLB compensation for the players who are huge producers right out the gate.

Remember when Belinger was raking and making under $600k? And we have Bieber here. And there are tons of examples like this.

I realize that clubs spend a lot of money on players who never sniff the Majors (those signing bonuses are getting bigger and bigger), but at some point there needs to be some fair compensation for the young guys, while not having to overpay for multiyear contracts for guys 30+.

The market was going there for awhile, and it's (appropriately) getting tougher for mid-level players to get those big free agent contracts when in their downward years, but we've still got the situation where someone like Bieber is making peanuts for a small market team, and then has to hope he stays healthy & productive until his free agency year hits.

Not sure what the solution is, but there needs to be one.

Load Metric
    The bigger market clubs have started moving to do things like the Padres did with Tatis, giving an early, long-term extension to elite young players who are years from free agency.

However, the smaller clubs can't do that, and there still really needs to be some sort of fix in MLB compensation for the players who are huge producers right out the gate.

Remember when Belinger was raking and making under $600k? And we have Bieber here. And there are tons of examples like this.

I realize that clubs spend a lot of money on players who never sniff the Majors (those signing bonuses are getting bigger and bigger), but at some point there needs to be some fair compensation for the young guys, while not having to overpay for multiyear contracts for guys 30+.

The market was going there for awhile, and it's (appropriately) getting tougher for mid-level players to get those big free agent contracts when in their downward years, but we've still got the situation where someone like Bieber is making peanuts for a small market team, and then has to hope he stays healthy & productive until his free agency year hits.

Not sure what the solution is, but there needs to be one.
    I have ideas, one is realistically very easy to do, one a little tougher, and one that might be too complicated. When I say easy, I don't mean odds of getting the owners to do it, but just in a literal sense.

1-easy. Accelerate arbitration by 1 year. No more super-2 for only the most used, everyone is a super-2 now. Could make super-1 for players.

2-tougher. Change international free agency. Make anyone who is 20 or younger and wanting to come over draft eligible. Re-allocate the Int FA $$$ allowances to the draft pool. The woke crowd might not like this, as it does primarily target Latin Americans, but it really is screwy when you have Bellingers and Biebers raking at min wage (yes, yes, I know they each had decent bonuses) while Yasmany Tomas and Rusney Castillo are making $10m a year going through the motions in AAA.

3-complicated. Simplify service time. 1 game on the roster equals a season. This one I'm personally least bullish on, because of all other aspects that service time might cover in regards to benefits and whatnot. More of a spitballing idea. But this would effectively end service time manipulation at the beginning of every year.

Another more direct idea would be to implement what the NFL does with set playing time bonuses for rookies. That undrafted free agent who will wind up starting every game for the Texans this coming season? His pay gets doubled, if not more. Rookie baseball stud has to hope the team will do good to him and give him a min wage bump the next year. They're not obligated to do that, and some "broke/cheap" teams (Hi Tampa!) tend to barely give them raises, if at all.
    Last edited by gut; 05-05-2021 at 02:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

ever since they lost that game to the padres when they were leading 7-1 they've been shit. kind of shocking to see all the bats being quiet though, but i really think all of MLB offensive numbers are down. pretty sure it has something to do with the way they're making the ball this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Load Metric
    Yankees fans can get a vaccine at a game and a free ticket for later.

Dodgers fans can get a cyanide pill day of game

Load Metric
    TOO SOON SAL

Load Metric
    Dodgers shit the bed again

Load Metric
    I bet on the Dodgers. I win the stupid award.

Name:  C7E7369B-59AD-4F78-B459-E16FFCC327B3.jpeg
Views: 125
Size:  106.9 KB

#fakeclevinger

Load Metric
    This one was almost as bad as when sonatine bought an apple pippen AND bAZZZINGA we see you checking the retail market for what nerds will pay kid

Load Metric
    Cuz my fat baby gottttsta get that pippen cheddar ya'll

Load Metric
    youtube sent me down a weird rabbit hole of like super failed old tech and i know my san francisco treat here had or couldnt afford a pippen but it was on his radar fooooooor sure

Load Metric
    I think I’ve been remiss in bashing the catcher, Will Smith. He is dreadful defensively. You never hear him attacked. He isn’t going to get better.

Dave Roberts calling out Seager’s defense post game. It’s true but wow. That’s something else that isn’t going to improve.

Last place Angels next.

Thread Information