Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2021 Thread

Load Metric

Phillips really seems like that ultimate clubhouse guy, especially impressive being that he was highly rated as a prospect and hasn't panned out. I love that he throws 1 heater, then resorts to the traditional positional player throwing speed.

Also was this from a few weeks back as well:

Load Metric
    The greatest team in history has zero pitchers on the All Star team.

Sorry Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    The greatest team in history has zero pitchers on the All Star team.

Sorry Druff
    A lot of very strong pitchers this year, so no big deal.

The bigger problem is the robbery of Max Muncy as the starting 1B.

Freeman has a .848 OPS, and Muncy has a .974 mark.

Freeman is saddled at 1B, whereas Muncy can play three positions (including the fairly tough 2B).

Muncy has one more HR, and both have similar batting averages and RBI totals. Muncy is 4th in OPS in the NL, and just a hair behind 2nd.

So why is Freeman starting? LOL rigged votes.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Speaking of OPS, who woulda guessed that this would be the top 10 in the NL after July 4:

1. Tatis • SDP 1.084
    2. Acuna • ATL .981
    3. Castellanos • CIN .979
    4. Muncy • LAD .974
    5. Winker • CIN .953
    6. Reynolds • PIT .924
    7. Schwarber • WSN .910
    8. Crawford • SFG .885
    9. Turner • WSN .879
    10. Turner • LA .872

The only three you'd have guessed would have been Tatis, Acuna, and Trea Turner.

Nice to see Justin Turner cracking the top 10. Even I was of the belief that he was breaking down at age 36 1/2, and this wouldn't be a very good year for him.

Load Metric
    Russillo made a good point with Simmons about how under the radar Ohtani is. Contrasted it with Ichiro and what a huge story he was at the time in much smaller market. I have to seek out what he’s doing on the MLB specific tab of ESPN. Dude has 31 Hr’s and way above league average pitcher in major market doing shit we haven’t seen in basically 100 years. Kid should be the biggest story in sports, but just isn’t. Once the local cable cabal is broken up eventually, baseball is going to be in a weird place. Local cable rights pay all the bills.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Russillo made a good point with Simmons about how under the radar Ohtani is. Contrasted it with Ichiro and what a huge story he was at the time in much smaller market. I have to seek out what he’s doing on the MLB specific tab of ESPN. Dude has 31 Hr’s and way above league average pitcher in major market doing shit we haven’t seen in basically 100 years. Kid should be the biggest story in sports, but just isn’t. Once the local cable cabal is broken up eventually, baseball is going to be in a weird place. Local cable rights pay all the bills.
    I never miss a start. I expect this to be a very brief opportunity to witness. I saw him beat the Red Sox last night. Sawks are a very very productive offensive team. The Sawks CAN manufacture runs. They aren’t just 3 outcome. They adjust.

Ohtani shut the Sawks down. He looked easy on the mound. He went seven innings!

If Ohtani spoke one lick of English or did Vlogs (lol) we would have some sense of his personality. I stare at him on the mound after a bad call or a great pitch and try to read his expression. He is more expressive at the plate but he is so curious. Maybe we get more during the Home Run Derby.

How can an 11 year old relate if Ohtani can’t relate?

If he ran up the fence like Bo Jackson after that catch…..

We don’t have a basis for comparison. What he is doing is almost impossible to fully appreciate.

I remember once invoking what Mahommes might have done if he played both. That comparison is silly as Mahommes didn’t pitch 101mph and hit the most home runs. He couldn’t possibly compare. We try. The human brain operates on comparison.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 07-07-2021 at 08:51 AM.

Load Metric
    I never miss a start. I expect this to be a very brief opportunity to witness. I saw him beat the Red Sox last night. Sawks are a very very productive offensive team. The Sawks CAN manufacture runs. They aren’t just 3 outcome. They adjust.

Ohtani shut the Sawks down. He looked easy on the mound. He went seven innings!

If Ohtani spoke one lick of English or did Vlogs (lol) we would have some sense of his personality. I stare at him on the mound after a bad call or a great pitch and try to read his expression. He is more expressive at the plate but he is so curious. Maybe we get more during the Home Run Derby.

How can an 11 year old relate if Ohtani can’t relate?

If he ran up the fence like Bo Jackson after that catch…..

We don’t have a basis for comparison. What he is doing is almost impossible to fully appreciate.

I remember once invoking what Mahommes might have done if he played both. That comparison is silly as Mahommes didn’t pitch 101mph and hit the most home runs. He couldn’t possibly compare. We try. The human brain operates on comparison.
    Yeah I watch every Indians game I am available to watch and little else. I watch Ohatani occasionally and then forget about him for a few weeks and wake up one day and see he has 30 HRs and wonder how I didn’t hear about this shit?

Maybe the death of sportscenter is as relevant. Twenty-five years ago every dude went about their day and watched sportscenter when they got home from work or the bar as it replayed multiple times per night. I don’t think twenty-something’s do that. Fuck they don’t even watch TV.

Also as you mentored he’s robotic and foreign.

Load Metric
    Also, San, as someone who saw Mahomes Sr. pitch live early in his career, I'm glad his kid stuck to football.

Then again, the Twins were dogshit at developing pitchers then....and now.

Load Metric

Yeah I watch every Indians game I am available to watch and little else. I watch Ohatani occasionally and then forget about him for a few weeks and wake up one day and see he has 30 HRs and wonder how I didn’t hear about this shit?

Maybe the death of sportscenter is as relevant. Twenty-five years ago every dude went about their day and watched sportscenter when they got home from work or the bar as it replayed multiple times per night. I don’t think twenty-something’s do that. Fuck they don’t even watch TV.

I believe that. For me, from around 5th grade on thru high school, my daily routine was wake up, watch sportscenter, then shower and go to school. Kids today have more info available to them, but still see less than we did. Kind of a weird paradox. Kids today can tell you any players rating in 2k, but probably have never actually watched them play on the court. I'd have used The Show/MLB reference, but kids dont like baseball anymore.

Honestly, if I didn't play fantasy baseball and/or bet baseball, I'd have no clue either.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

I believe that. For me, from around 5th grade on thru high school, my daily routine was wake up, watch sportscenter, then shower and go to school. Kids today have more info available to them, but still see less than we did. Kind of a weird paradox. Kids today can tell you any players rating in 2k, but probably have never actually watched them play on the court. I'd have used The Show/MLB reference, but kids dont like baseball anymore.

Honestly, if I didn't play fantasy baseball and/or bet baseball, I'd have no clue either.
    plus sportscenter is absolute fucking dogshit nowadays...outside of SVP there are really no great anchors any more (buchi mane is aight)...

Load Metric
    Ohtani homers AGAIN against Sawks

Load Metric
    Degrom sitting out the Allstar game to spend time with family and friends.

Or to protest the no goo?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Degrom sitting out the Allstar game to spend time with family and friends.

Or to protest the no goo?
    MLB guys paying attention to what NFL and NBA been doing for years. Who fucking cares about the ASG? Kids. And kids don't like baseball.

Or maybe he got the number of Bauer's former "friend". Good way to spend a weekend. Lotta sticky stuff.

Load Metric
    Uh-oh

Dodgers place Clayton Kershaw on 10-day IL because of elbow inflammation.

Kershaw missing his goo and gripping too hard

Druff is gonna see a fantastic sunset this evening

Load Metric
    Dodgers journeyman Gavin Lux makes another error.

I’d rather be Lux than good.

Load Metric
    I forgot to add….

Samson had a whiff of Dan Duquette (ex Sawks & Orioles GM) about him.

I must take a moment and look up Samson’s story.

Samson was ridiculing strength of schedule. He used the Dodgers as an example. I have always mocked the Dodgers records over the years. Samson said nobody cares if Dodgers are 10-1 against teams less than .500 and 6-5 against teams over .500

His exact words were “nobody cares”. Damnit, I care. It is the core of their fraud and the inflation of their recent reputation. It is precisely why they never won the big one.

I need to revisit his exact words or point. Why did he say that?
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 07-09-2021 at 08:23 AM.

Load Metric
    Yeah, I’ve been listening to Samson on Lebatard for years. He’s on way more now since they sold team. His Lebatard segments are better than his show imo, because they bust his balls about all his own bad/shady moves, and for being Loria’s stepson, he’s pretty honest when pressed.

He’s an incredibly arrogant dude in general, but his segments are some of my favorite, and he’s insightful as to how things actually work, but I think his show would work best if he had an antagonist co-host.

Load Metric
    Todays Simmons cast featured his buddy JackO at the end talking Yankees, and those are some of my favorite bits, at least when the Yankees are underwhelming....like right now. He lays into them pretty hard. A funny listen.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I forgot to add….

Samson had a whiff of Dan Duquette (ex Sawks & Orioles GM) about him.

I must take a moment and look up Samson’s story.

Samson was ridiculing strength of schedule. He used the Dodgers as an example. I have always mocked the Dodgers records over the years. Samson said nobody cares if Dodgers are 10-1 against teams less than .500 and 6-5 against teams over .500

His exact words were “nobody cares”. Damnit, I care. It is the core of their fraud and the inflation of their recent reputation. It is precisely why they never won the big one.

I need to revisit his exact words or point. Why did he say that?
    Your strength of schedule argument makes little sense. 3 of the best 4 records in the NL are in the west. Dodgers would have a better record if they were in the Central or East this year.

Thread Information