Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Report: One of the WSOP (2nd) Main Event final tablists has COVID and is about to be force-finished in 9th

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Report: One of the WSOP (2nd) Main Event final tablists has COVID and is about to be force-finished in 9th

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    There is some growing social pressure on Twitter on the other 8 finishers, to have them ask the WSOP to delay the final table.

Load Metric
    As much as it sucks...they have to follow whatever the tournament rules are when folks are unable to continue due to medical issues. If that means blinding him out, blind him out. As much as it seems fair for everyone to agree to resolve it later, someone else could get covid or come down with some other illness or even get hit by a bus tomorrow. They need to follow the rules.

I remember one time I was in a tournament and I busted out in 24th place by the chip leader who was drinking heavily. He was getting hammered and was running very well. He also had a large chip lead over the second place. I stayed around to watch my friend who was among the top five in chips at the time. With about 12 people left, the chip leader passes out at the table. Paramedics arrived and they took him outside the ballroom where the tourney was being held. His wife/girlfriend (not sure) sat down in his seat and wanted to play his chips. The people running the tourney (this was a charity event held at a hotel) pleaded with her to go be with him as he was being attended to. She said "fuck him ... I will take his place." (The tournament has a first place price of an entry into the WSOP Main event , plus expenses..etc) Everyone was amazed that she didn't give two shits about her man as he lay on the floor unconscious just outside the ballroom entrance. They wound up blinding him out.

Load Metric
    Absolutely narrow minded, blockheaded result here for this guy.

He actually wasnt doing anything wrong, nor was trying to and in this day and age of Covid-19 and sports, or heck here Poker you have to have some flexibility in your approach in running things in 2020. This was not fair just from an EV and equity standpoint for him. He actually wasn't doing anything wrong nor trying to. Jack Effel this was a foolish result, with Covid in 2020 and everything actually going on this just fit right into that issue essentially. For him and his opportunity of actually winning this, however its done to happen he deserves a chance at that EV that he fairly put in himself position to win now...

Load Metric
    Play online until he busts sitting 8th seems a decent choice. Obviously it’s poker so he could double and everyone is playing online. The other problem is you might make this exception for him, they play online until he busts, and then someone else has virus. It’s so prevalent atm that any nine people are probably 35% to have one person. Especially given they have to travel to get there. That’s the problem with just postponing also.

Assuming the rules were set before the tournament started, I think everyone either agrees to finish tournament online, or it’s bad luck for the guy.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    There is some growing social pressure on Twitter on the other 8 finishers, to have them ask the WSOP to delay the final table.

live footage of upeshka's supporters exerting social pressure on twitter:

Comments

OSA: so bad but so good
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Damn, I had never heard of this kid. I didn’t realize how good he was. Amazing kids get to 3 bracelets now and you’ve never heard of them compared to the old days. That’s a bad spot. This kid isn’t likely to go out easily or quickly. He’s going to view himself as live to win, correctly so.

I assume the other 8 want this kid gone, and aren’t going to accommodate him, and the rules if they were set are the rules. Sucks for him.

Comments

garrett: "I assume the other 8 want this kid gone, and aren’t going to accommodate him"... LoL yeah doubt anyones helping this live as fk player into this very easily haha...

Gold
    Load Metric
    For the sake of argument, say this kid got sick with the flu, food poisioning, idk pick your poison, and couldn't show up to play. Do they postpone it? Fuckin doubt it. Tough break, but sets a wild precedent if they do decide to postpone it or alter the game to allow him to play.
    shit·show
    /ˈSHit ˌSHō/
    noun
    1) a situation or event marked by chaos or controversy. 2) This site.

Load Metric
    he could also be too sick to play for months if he becomes symptomatic.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    he could also be too sick to play for months if he becomes symptomatic.
    yeah or he'll just drink some orange juice and be fine in 3 days like 99.999 of the rest of people

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchjockey View Post
    For the sake of argument, say this kid got sick with the flu, food poisioning, idk pick your poison, and couldn't show up to play. Do they postpone it? Fuckin doubt it. Tough break, but sets a wild precedent if they do decide to postpone it or alter the game to allow him to play.

The difference is in the visual. If someone doesn’t show up on time for whatever reason, they would have to blind him out. Which wouldn’t make for good TV. In this case they made the DQ rule and will surely explain it at the start of the broadcast, but then they get to move on without having to blind the person out. The kid knew what he signed up for, but I can’t even imagine how much he is steaming right now. Fitting end to 2020.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffDime View Post

The difference is in the visual. If someone doesn’t show up on time for whatever reason, they would have to blind him out. Which wouldn’t make for good TV. In this case they made the DQ rule and will surely explain it at the start of the broadcast, but then they get to move on without having to blind the person out. The kid knew what he signed up for, but I can’t even imagine how much he is steaming right now. Fitting end to 2020.
    It’s Karma for the WSOP if ya ask a lot of folks they had this shit coming. You hold a WSOP this summer online and then out of sheer greed gee let’s hold another and imply the guy who won the ME this summer doesn’t count. Just feel bad for the guy who is the scapegoat for testing positive.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Hope the kid is ok.

Playing live is a pretty terrible idea.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffDime View Post

they've blinded empty seats out before on camera.

they should just do it again; blind him out until an actual doctor has an actual diagnosis that he's negative and no longer contagious.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: seems like an obvious solution

Load Metric
    Does anyone know when the coverage is on? I read that Lon & Norm will commentate heads up action but that is all I could find. Wasn’t part of the point of this to fulfill the TV contractual obligations?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Now Matt Stout has gotten into the mix:

https://twitter.com/MattStoutPoker/status/1343591720328392704

He's absolutely getting KILLED in the replies. Among the complaints:

- Stout does not cite any evidence of his claim, nor does he say he witnessed it firsthand

- Stout bringing this up now, as opposed to when he was first aware of it, seems like rubbing salt into the wounds

- Stout is a hypocrite, because he was a Lock Poker pro, who continued promoting the site for awhile after it became clear it was a scam

It just seems that a lot of people dislike Stout, which I wasn't aware of being the case until today.

He runs a charity called "Charity Series of Poker" (CSOP), so perhaps that's a bad look given his past with Lock. I never disliked the guy. Yeah, he handled the Lock thing poorly, but he wasn't nearly as bad as other site pros such as Melanie Weisner (profited by selling priority cashouts at markup), Eric Lynch (defended the site long into the scandal, then peaced out and went silent), and Bryan Pellegrino (staunchly defended Lock for a long time on 2+2). I haven't seen Weisner or Pellegrino get hate for it in recent years, so I don't understand how they get a pass and Stout doesn't.

Anyway, maybe there's other stuff about him which makes him unlikable, but I haven't seen it.

I have a feeling if the accusation came from anyone else, the poker world would be taking it a bit more seriously. But it's from Stout, so it's not holding a lot of weight.

The temperamental Luke Vrabel posted a pretty funny tweet of himself rooting against Stout in last year's Main Event, where Stout finished like 217th:

https://twitter.com/slayAbides/status/1343639334709297153

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Haley Hintze and WillieMcFML doing work:

https://twitter.com/WillieMcFML/status/1343620625827553283

Stout might actually be correct. Hmmm...

Since Rory Brown is from Ireland, perhaps someone could look into when peeeeeeeeno played, and when Brown was in the US?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    In the meantime, Damian Salas, the "international" champion of the GG version of this weird 2nd WSOP, can't get into the US to play the $1 million heads up freeroll between the two champs.

What a clusterfuck.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    In the meantime, Damian Salas, the "international" champion of the GG version of this weird 2nd WSOP, can't get into the US to play the $1 million heads up freeroll between the two champs.

What a clusterfuck.

if only we could have foreseen migration problems during covid-19.... oh wait

Thread Information