Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poker player Krsitin Ting in unusual legal battle to become guardian of ex-boyfriend's son -- even though both of the kid's parents are still alive and not in jail

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Poker player Krsitin Ting in unusual legal battle to become guardian of ex-boyfriend's son -- even though both of the kid's parents are still alive and not in jail

Allen Kessler started a GoFundMe to help out poker player Kristin Ting with legal expenses. The story is really interesting.

The cliffs:

- Kristin was had a boyfriend from 2012-2019, and lives in Las Vegas.

- Four years into the relationship, her boyfriend was informed that he had a kid from what appears to have been a 1-night stand, right before he was dating Kristin.

- The mom was a trainwreck, and did drugs while carrying the boy. Between that, her arrests, and her horrible parenting skills, the boy had lots of issues. At this point, custody went to Kristin's boyfriend, the boy's natural father.

- Kristin bonded with the boy and he came to know her as his mom, even though they were not at all related.

- In 2019, Kristin's boyfriend left her. However, he acknowledged that she was the best parent for his son, and actually gave his blessing for her to raise him. He transferred temporary custody to her.

- The boy's condition has greatly improved while under the care of Kristin.

- The druggie mom wants the boy back, and has been fighting for him, despite a long list of incidents and arrests.

- Kristin has been in a legal battle with the boy's mom over the matter.

Full story: https://www.gofundme.com/f/kristin-t...her-son-jayden

Very interesting, and I hope she wins this.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This is about a little boy who found love and a mom in the most unlikely of places. Kristin loves kids, but having a child was never in the cards for her. She had her nieces and God daughter, and that was enough for her. She is passionate about animals, she rescues and donates to their causes. In 2012, Kristin met her boyfriend and she was happy.

In 2016, Kristin and her boyfriend found out about a little 4 year old boy, unbeknownst to them, her boyfriend had fathered right before they got together. This little boy’s name is Jayden. Jayden came into their lives through the Department of Child Services.

In 2012, at birth Jayden was taken by CPS when he was born with drugs in his system and later returned to the biological mother.

In 2014, at the age of 2, Jayden’s biological mother was arrested at a park by an off duty police officer for child abuse and drug possession. Jayden was again taken by CPS and placed in a fifth wheeler off of Boulder Hwy behind Arizona Charlie’s where he lived until he was 4 years old.

In 2016, Kristin and her boyfriend fought for nearly a year to bring his son home. In 2017, Kristin’s boyfriend was awarded sole legal and physical custody. Having been cooped up in a fifth wheel for 2 years, Jayden’s gross motor skills weren’t properly developed. Also as a result of drinking, smoking and doing drugs while Jayden was in vitro, it caused a lot of speech delays and sensory issues. Jayden was behind his peers with regard to both his mental and physical health. He also had an extremely hard time expressing himself. Being speech delayed, his main way of communicating was through screaming and crying.

Believing in Jayden, with faith and the vision of what he could become, Kristin went to work. Kristin took charge and started on an unknown journey in hopes to create a safe, stable, and nurturing environment for Jayden. She scaled back her travels for work to dedicate herself to Jayden’s well-being.

Unfortunately Kristin’s boyfriend chose to leave her in 2019, but knowing that she would be the best parent for his son, he signed over temporary guardianship to her. The next 2 years were filled with therapy, education, patience by the buckets, and most importantly, love. Kristin and Jayden are remarkably close, they are a team. They also have a unified family and a small group of friends that completely support their journey. In broken families, non-biological parents, mental and physical health are involved not everyone understands the who, why and what of the journey.

Anyone that has had the pleasure of meeting Jayden would agree that he is the most caring, loving and giving 8-year-old. He has an infectiously happy personality and has a special way of making a stranger his friend. His previous environment caused plenty of damage but with the help of his amazing therapists and teacher that have willingly worked with Kristin he has made great progress overcoming his challenges. Kristin loves him unconditionally and he deserves the best. She is committed to providing Jayden with a safe, loving environment despite his biological mom’s continuous hostility to get him back.

We know, based on experience, that Jayden’s biological mother is not a safe option for him, nor is she fit to take care of him. She not only has the child abuse case in her past, she was arrested twice for domestic violence, though charges were dropped. In the last 2 years the biological mom has only visited with Jayden 17 times.

Fast forward to 2020, after 6 years of Jayden being out of the biological mom’s care, she has decided to pursue legal action to get Jayden back. Jayden loves Kristin. Kristin is his best friend, his mom, and the only stable environment he has ever known.

Remaining in Kristin’s care would be the best decision for him. He does not need to regress and go through these hard times with his biological mother.

Every child deserves to be unconditionally loved, and most of all, every child deserves a childhood without the constant worry that someone can neglect or abandon them at any time. Even though Jayden has been removed from his mother by Child Protective Services twice, she is fighting to have him returned to her. Kristin is currently fighting two court hearings right now over Jayden. A guardianship hearing, as well as a custody hearing.

The cost of attorney fees have been crippling for Kristin. Despite all of Kristin’s hard work and love she put into raising Jayden, the Judge says the case is very complex with a lot of layers. Kristin has no blood relation to Jayden but the natural father has nominated Kristin to be guardian. Guardianship hearing is set for an evidentiary hearing on 3/8. The custody hearing, where the biological mother will argue she has the basic right to raise her child, will be 1/19. The cost of keeping Jayden safe has become extremely expensive.

For the past several years, Kristin has supported Jayden on her own. She has received no financial assistance from the biological mom. The cost of raising a child alone on a single income is expensive. The current Covid situation makes earning a steady income difficult; but now on top of that she has attorney fees for two separate court battles. It’s a tough situation for a single parent to handle that on their own.

For this reason, we are asking for donations from everyone that wants to help. Any extra funding not used in Jayden’s court cases and care will be donated to another family in need.

Kristin loves Jayden as much as any biological parent would love their own and he is happily safe and excelling in school. Kristin is Jayden’s favorite person in all the world. He calls her mom. She stepped up when everyone stepped out. Kristin would love nothing but to be able to continue to provide him with the love and resources he needs. She has no biological children and is doing this out of love and a calling to ensure Jayden's wellbeing and safety. Their experience has been at times a trying one but the rewards that it brings to one another's hearts are enormous.

Thank you in advance for your help in keeping Jayden where he is, safe, thriving and happy.

Comments

shoeshine box: I sent a Guy on here 25 for the politics bet.Can he get 10 bux to this Kids fund me? Dimondkutr?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Comments

JohnCommode: Kessler seems to be one of the most trolled figures in poker, but this is a nice job by him.

Load Metric
    Her chances of winning if druggie mom is now clean are 0.0.

Comments

Jayjami: You are correct young lady.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    If the natural mother is making any type of real effort to regain custody, you can forget it. I would be happy to lay any odds on a Ting loss.
    I hate to break it to you, that is exactly the way it should be. This is not a survival of the fittest scenario, its not best man for the job here. She is the mother, that needs to be morally and legally respected.
    PFA NFL Handicapping Champion

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by pagelpoker View Post
    If the natural mother is making any type of real effort to regain custody, you can forget it. I would be happy to lay any odds on a Ting loss.
    I hate to break it to you, that is exactly the way it should be. This is not a survival of the fittest scenario, its not best man for the job here. She is the mother, that needs to be morally and legally respected.
    I wouldn’t argue with you regarding the legality. The mom will win if she’s not an absolute train wreck. I would never morally respect that decision. There isn’t anything moral about taking custody of a well-adjusted kid away from what appears to be a person of high character and giving him to a woman of low character. That’s just a poor outcome. Legal, but not to be morally respected. The mom, if she’s somewhat straightened out, being allowed to slowly integrate and play some small part, that would be the moral choice.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    I wouldn’t argue with you regarding the legality. The mom will win if she’s not an absolute train wreck. I would never morally respect that decision. There isn’t anything moral about taking custody of a well-adjusted kid away from what appears to be a person of high character and giving him to a woman of low character. That’s just a poor outcome. Legal, but not to be morally respected. The mom, if she’s somewhat straightened out, being allowed to slowly integrate and play some small part, that would be the moral choice.
    Agree. Any wealthy person could essentially put on a great case and remove custody from broke or perceived bad mother. This would be an impossible and terrible legal precedent to set.
    PFA NFL Handicapping Champion

Load Metric
    I’ve been around two somewhat similar cases. In both cases, I knew the messed up mom who had lost the kid. The first one is most similar to this. The mom was a smart and cool girl, but had a long history of drug and mental health issues. She had lost her daughter to her ex. He sounds similar to the dad here had the dad simply married this Krsitin.

He wasn’t some solid great dad, but when she’d go off and lose it and ask for my help to get her kid back, I’d tell her the same thing every time. Go give me two years of clean living and not missing psych appointments and if at that time I feel comfortable, I’ll help you to get visitation and try to advocate for your involvement. I knew she couldn’t do it. She never did. The girl is now 20. In school. Dad wasn’t great, but he was by far the better choice. Had he gotten divorced from wife he was married to, she would have been the better choice as she had been around since the beginning and the more stable of all 3.

The second one was a similar type girl, but her parents had kid. That would seem a more ideal situation, but I largely viewed the parents as the impetus for this girls issues. I just didn’t know it completely. What their sins exactly were, just what I suspected. They were monied, well-connected, and once again, it was a what’s the better alternative here situation? It’s not like winning is a win if mom isn’t fully stable. Again I took a pass. That was a harder pass, as I thought the parents were culpable and a bit sociopathic.

The problem with messed up moms in particular, is who they are going to put around that kid if they relapse. Like I don’t think having a mom with dependency issues and always not reliable is the worst case scenario. I grew up with a mom with mental health issues, but no alcohol or drug use in any way, and I had my dad. It wasn’t ideal, but it also wasn’t traumatic and it built some useful life skills. Take the drugs and alcohol from the mix, everything stays stable. I was fortunate to not be a kid who needed you to be there mentally always with dad working.

The worst case scenario with mothers with addiction issues is the men they will eventually have around the kid when they’re in that state. They’re going to be other addicts, and they aren’t going to be attentive moms showing proper diligence. They usually also have periods where they’re broke and anyone with $ will be through the front door. That sets up nightmare scenarios with people who will damage that kid in a more profound way than simply having a messed up mom ever could. We live in a sick culture. If a kid is being raised by someone stable, I’d be very hesitant to ever roll the dice on an established environment over the unknown.

Comments

JimmyG_415: good info
    Last edited by BCR; 12-21-2020 at 06:23 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Agree with BCR here.

I especially feel this way because this kid has been with Kristin for 6 years, and thrived under her care, after enduring extreme neglect with the mom. It's not like the mom went through a rough patch for a few months, lost the kid, and some unrelated woman taking care of him declared herself to be the new mother.

If you fuck so badly to where you miss your kid's ages 2-8, it's hard to cry foul at that point and say you want the kid back. This is especially true if the kid has already found a stable home where he's doing well.

100% this kid is way better off with Kristin Ting. I agree that this will be an uphill battle, though, if the mom has significantly improved her situation.

Comments

JimmyG_415: same here

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

Agree. Any wealthy person could essentially put on a great case and remove custody from broke or perceived bad mother. This would be an impossible and terrible legal precedent to set.
    I’m not at all unsympathetic to the natural mom. I don’t know any of the parties here. In the first story I told, that girl was a wonderful and gentle soul, just deeply troubled. I badly wanted her to get well and play a part in her child’s life. I knew her issues were long fixes.

Mental illness is a complete bitch. She would have never intentionally brought harm to her daughter. She 100% would have inadvertently by who she let through the door. She was so gentle she viewed everyone as harmless and deserving of the benefit of the doubt. A really bad trait to have being a single mom raising a daughter. You need to presume everyone is a threat you don’t know very well.

My advice to her was always the same as her daughter progressed through life. I’d tell her life is long. Work on your own well-being and look to establish an adult relationship with your daughter at some point. She was a very charismatic girl while dad was a bit of a dim bulb, but the more reliable party. Had she ever gotten it together and put in the work, I had little doubt her daughter would have ended up closer with her eventually. As often is the case with mental illness, she to this day has had an inability to have any period of prolonged stability or continued mental health care. Just a lifetime of starts and stops with nothing accomplished.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    The Dad should fight for custody, it seems like.

Comments

JimmyG_415:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Agree with BCR here.

I especially feel this way because this kid has been with Kristin for 6 years, and thrived under her care, after enduring extreme neglect with the mom. It's not like the mom went through a rough patch for a few months, lost the kid, and some unrelated woman taking care of him declared herself to be the new mother.

If you fuck so badly to where you miss your kid's ages 2-8, it's hard to cry foul at that point and say you want the kid back. This is especially true if the kid has already found a stable home where he's doing well.

100% this kid is way better off with Kristin Ting. I agree that this will be an uphill battle, though, if the mom has significantly improved her situation.
    I too agree with BCR. I’m not sure why you said 6 years other than to over-exaggerate though. The kid has lived with Ting for 3 years, and only 1 year exclusively.

Why isn’t the father fighting for custody at all?
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    This seems like a good cause, it just started but they are far short.

I just kicked in,
    Dwai, I see your "ignore message" behind every post I make, JDS.
    kick in a little, you cheap fuck.

San Francisco crowned the ‘world’s best’ city to live: survey
    https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...o-live-survey/

Load Metric
    1st time cheap ass DWAI doesn't go right behind me is when there is $$$ involved.
    Come on you cheap fucks, this kid shouldn't be sent to that drug lair.

Thank you for your donation to Kristin Ting Ho legal expenses for her son Jayden
    Here is your donation receipt:
    Donor name: James Gerran
    Donation date: December 21, 2020
    Donation to: Kristin Ting Ho legal expenses for her son Jayden
    Donation will be received by: Allen Kessler
    Your donation will appear on your statement as GoFndMe* Kristin Ting

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyG_415 View Post

I just kicked in,

San Francisco crowned the ‘world’s best’ city to live: survey
    https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...o-live-survey/

Load Metric
    1st time cheap ass DWAI doesn't go right behind me is when there is $$$ involved.
    Come on you cheap fucks, this kid shouldn't be sent to that drug lair.

Thank you for your donation to Kristin Ting Ho legal expenses for her son Jayden
    Here is your donation receipt:
    Donor name: James Gerran
    Donation date: December 21, 2020
    Donation to: Kristin Ting Ho legal expenses for her son Jayden
    Donation will be received by: Allen Kessler
    Your donation will appear on your statement as GoFndMe* Kristin Ting

I just kicked in,
    Name:  Screenshot_20201220-081958_Chrome.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  126.8 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

The mom speaks out!! It's unverified if this is really her, but I believe it probably is.

This is from Allen Kessler's Facebook, in reply to a post he made on January 8.

https://www.facebook.com/allen.kessl...82866958411366

Name:  ting1.png
Views: 432
Size:  174.6 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    So this adds a new dimension to the whole thing.

The mom (Kaylee) isn't the best writer (I imagine she didn't exactly have a stellar education), but here's the claims she's making:

- Ting's ex-boyfriend "Rex" lied about not knowing about the kid. Instead, he just walked out on the situation when he found out Kaylee was pregnant.

- Kaylee has gotten her life together and now has enough money to support the kid.

- Ting broke up with Rex because he was a degenerate gambler, was broke, and borrowed money from Ting which he couldn't pay back.

- Allen Kessler is needlessly interfering in this situation and making it public, when it should be a private matter within the court system.

I have mixed feelings about this. Notice Kaylee does NOT deny the allegations that she was a horrible mom in the past and was partially responsible for the kid's developmental issues. However, if the mom has demonstrated a recent pattern of stability, I have to admit she should probably get the kid back, even if the kid is more at risk with her than she would be with Ting, who I believe is more responsible.

Kaylee also does not dispute that Ting had a big hand in getting the kid back on track to normalcy, and in fact acknowledges in the above messages that she appreciates Ting's help. So there's no question that Ting's claims of her part in turning the boy's life around are not exaggerated. I can see why she really doesn't want to watch that possibly all get ruined by returning the kid to a previously horrible parent.

At the same time, I can understand Kaylee wanting the boy back. After all, it's her son, not Ting's, and if she can be a decent mom going forward, she really should have him.

I really can see both sides of this from a moral standpoint. From a legal standpoint, Kaylee is probably in much better shape, provided that her stability is at least 2 years running, and provided that the court doesn't see her previous transgressions as too serious to return the kid to her. I'm guessing Kaylee will win here.

I think I do believe that the father (Rex) knew about the kid. It never made sense to me how they found him if Kaylee had no idea who the dad was. I thought maybe she knew but had no way to reach him, but her version of the story is more likely.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

There was a resolution to this, and I just found out about it. The way I found out was because Kristin Ting and I had our first conversation, about 18 months after I did the radio segment on her. I probably should have told her at the time to listen, but I forgot.

Anyway, when she was recently responding in an unrelated Kessler Twitter thread, I tweeted at her and asked if she was aware of the December 2020 PFA Radio segment about her. She wasn't aware, and went to listen.

We then had a conversation about the matter.

The legal battle played out in court. Kristin said it cost her $35,000 to fight the whole thing. She ultimately won. She still is the boy's primary guardian. The mom (Kaylee) is going through various social programs to help her connect with the boy and get to know him better, but this is NOT in preparation for returning the boy to her. For the foreseeable future, he is to remain with Kristin Ting, and the court might reconsider this again much later.

Basically the court decided that Kaylee both had a bad history in her previous go-around as the boy's parent, AND was gone from his life so many years that she barely knows him at this point. Often the court will rule based upon what is best for the child, rather than what is best for the parent.

Kristin told me that the boy continues to improve, but still has a lot of disabilities and there is a long way to go. I wish him well.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    That’s about as happy an ending as I would’ve anticipated after just reading the thread. Hopefully the adults have been acting in the kids best interests since court proceedings concluded for the time being.

Clearly the main takeaway = thank goodness for Chainsaw

Gold
    Load Metric
    I just saw this thread for the first time. When I read the OP I initially thought that Kessler was the dad, and my initial thought was that the most bizarre aspect of this was that someone that acts and looks like Kessler would be having unprotected sex one night stands with junkies. Possible I guess, but I just dont see it. Now that I know Kessler isn't the dad makes more sense.

Thread Information