Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PLOL Netflix Hack: How to get the $18/mo Netflix Premium plan, for the $9/mo "Basic" price

Load Metric

PLOL Netflix Hack: How to get the $18/mo Netflix Premium plan, for the $9/mo "Basic" price

Since Netflix recently raised the cost of their premium plan from $16/mo to $18/mo, I figured I'd let everybody in on a little secret that allows me to avoid paying this increase. I discovered a Netflix hack over a year ago that allows me to get the most expensive Netflix subscription (currently $18/mo) for their basic plan price (currently $9/mo). I have a feeling if a bunch of people start exploiting this loophole, Netflix will close it. I'm sure I'm not the only one doing this, but at this point I don't think many people know about it. I'm also still waiting on Shane Schlegger to tell me if this is unethical or not. You can figure out the morality on your own, but please don't report me to the Netflix police.

Here's how it's done:
    Start off with a Netflix basic plan for $9/mo (if you have an existing premium plan, change your plan and wait to be charged at the beginning of your billing cycle).

So now you paid $9 and you have the basic plan. Now go and upgrade your plan to "Premium". You will be immediately upgraded to the premium plan, but you WON'T be charged for it.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 1.52.44 PM.png
Views: 415
Size:  58.9 KB

Now you have the premium plan, but you only paid $9 for it instead of $18. Now go back right away and change your plan back to "Basic". Your plan won't actually change to "Basic" until your next billing cycle (when you'll be charged $9 again). So for the next 30-31 days you're grandfathered in to the premium plan, even though you never paid for it.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 1.54.59 PM.png
Views: 367
Size:  20.6 KB

Then when your billing cycle hits and they charge you $9 for the next month, go and do it all over again. It's important to wait until after they charge you before you do it again. So after you get charged for the basic plan, go in again and change your plan to premium. You'll be upgraded for the entire billing cycle. Then go and immediately downgrade to basic (you won't actually get downgraded until your next billing cycle because you're "grandfathered" in). You'll always have the Premium plan, but you'll never have to pay for it. Doing this will save $108/yr.

NOTE: You CANNOT do this with Hulu. I tried upgrading to the "no ads" plan, and they immediately charge you a pro-rated rate to upgrade. You can do this hack with Netflix because they don't prorate you for an upgrade. They just immediately upgrade you and then try to charge you on your next billing cycle.

This is my Christmas gift to PFA. Happy Holidays!

Comments

Dan Druff: Netflix fraud alert

Kuntmissioner: Master of Content
    Last edited by PLOL; 12-20-2020 at 04:02 PM.
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric
    just pay full price you fucking cheap bitch

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post
    just pay full price you fucking cheap bitch
    Not only am I not going to pay full price, this is only step 1. Step 2 allows me to get Netflix for free.

It involves sharing!
    Last edited by PLOL; 12-20-2020 at 02:23 PM.
    TRUMP 2024!

Load Metric
    in one post plol just took this place from 9th to 7th tier alt right shithole.

Comments

PLOL: respect
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    is there even anything good on netflix i feel asleep during mank hulu feels so much better

Load Metric
    also ive been secretly watching next its fucking hilariously bad but im all in and john slattery can do zero wrong i refuse to be judged on this

Load Metric
    also it got cancelled but im riding this out

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Btw, if you have a Equinox membership, upgrading it to the all access pass instead of the basic membership works the same way. Much bigger savings too.

Load Metric
    Will the number of screens reduce at any time? I have a lot of mouths to feed and I don't want to hear shit about it.

Comments

lol wow: rofl

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    Will the number of screens reduce at any time? I have a lot of mouths to feed and I don't want to hear shit about it.
    The only time the number of screens will change is right when your billing cycle hits. At which point you can go in and immediately change it to the "premium" plan and it'll go back to 4 screens.

I'm in the same boat as you where I'm sharing my Netflix with a harem of people, so I always make sure I change it back right away on my billing date.

Comments

gauchojake: TY Sir

OSA: harem rep
    TRUMP 2024!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Netflix said last year that they're going to clamp down upon the massive multiaccounting going on, but so far that hasn't happened.

There will be tremendous outrage when this occurs.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Netflix said last year that they're going to clamp down upon the massive multiaccounting going on, but so far that hasn't happened.

This should be good for investors in the long run I would think.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post

This should be good for investors in the long run I would think.
    If they fuck with my account because my cheap in-laws don't want to carve 10 bucks a month out of their 500 fast food budget I will cancel immediately

Load Metric

I honestly can't see how they could do this without it being a huge pain for legitimate users. I'm just one person and I have netflix on my TV, laptop, ipad, phone, etc. The premium plans are meant to be shared with a family, hence why you can watch on up to 4 screens at once. The only thing they can do is limit the number of screens you can watch at once, but then that devalues the benefits of a premium plan. I think if they do anything, it will be very incremental like limiting it from 4 screens at once to 3 screens. What they do to prevent sharing right now is limit the number of devices you can download content to. But most people don't care about that.

The streaming service that is best equipped to prevent sharing is Amazon Prime Video. Nobody wants to share their Amazon password with somebody unless they really trust that person.
    TRUMP 2024!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post

I honestly can't see how they could do this without it being a huge pain for legitimate users. I'm just one person and I have netflix on my TV, laptop, ipad, phone, etc. The premium plans are meant to be shared with a family, hence why you can watch on up to 4 screens at once. The only thing they can do is limit the number of screens you can watch at once, but then that devalues the benefits of a premium plan. I think if they do anything, it will be very incremental like limiting it from 4 screens at once to 3 screens. What they do to prevent sharing right now is limit the number of devices you can download content to. But most people don't care about that.

The streaming service that is best equipped to prevent sharing is Amazon Prime Video. Nobody wants to share their Amazon password with somebody unless they really trust that person.
    I've actually thought about this problem before. Not that I want to make it easier for Netflix to charge me more money, but I was just thinking from a theoretical standpoint how they could accomplish it. I realize that number of screens can be used to limit it, but as you noted, that's the whole reason people purchase premium.

So how to differentiate between a family of 5 watching different things on Netflix at once in the same house, and a shared account of 6 people in 6 different households?

There are various ways this can be done:

For PC users, mobile devices on Wifi, and Netflix-integrated TVs, they can simply get the IP address. This should comprise almost all of the viewing. Not much viewing is done through cellular data.

It would be relatively easy at this point to determine if people are multiaccounting, rather than just using their devices as they travel. They can ignore places that come up fairly infrequently -- such as the IP of a hotel when you're traveling.

So let's say these are 6 different heavily used lPs on PLOL's account. They can determine that it's most likely 6 different people, especially if all 6 of these addresses resolve to residential IPs (which is easy to determine). At this point, they can send a warning to the customer (or put a pop-up) that they have detected multi-household usage, and that the user must either stop it, upgrade, or get the account suspended.

They could have some kind of internal, unpublished threshhold, to where 3 heavily used residential IPs will be ignored, but anything more than that will trigger the message. Yes, there will be people who find ways around this -- such as those who learn to change their residential IP, or those who use VPNs. However, this will be the extreme minority of users, and Netflix can simply ignore this factor.

No doubt this would bring on some bad press and a ton of social media outrage. Netflix probably doesn't want it at this point, as they're doing well anyway. No point to rock the boat. Take a look at the Moviepass disaster, where among other mistakes, they obsessed over multiaccounting to the point of being draconian, and their methods also had plenty of false positives. That was one of many factors which killed them.

However, if Netflix wanted to do it, they could do it.

Load Metric
    Calm down todgebert

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post

I've actually thought about this problem before. Not that I want to make it easier for Netflix to charge me more money, but I was just thinking from a theoretical standpoint how they could accomplish it. I realize that number of screens can be used to limit it, but as you noted, that's the whole reason people purchase premium.

So how to differentiate between a family of 5 watching different things on Netflix at once in the same house, and a shared account of 6 people in 6 different households?

For PC users, mobile devices on Wifi, and Netflix-integrated TVs, they can simply get the IP address. This should comprise almost all of the viewing. Not much viewing is done through cellular data.

It would be relatively easy at this point to determine if people are multiaccounting, rather than just using their devices as they travel. They can ignore places that come up fairly infrequently -- such as the IP of a hotel when you're traveling.

So let's say these are 6 different heavily used lPs on PLOL's account. They can determine that it's most likely 6 different people, especially if all 6 of these addresses resolve to residential IPs (which is easy to determine). At this point, they can send a warning to the customer (or put a pop-up) that they have detected multi-household usage, and that the user must either stop it, upgrade, or get the account suspended.

They could have some kind of internal, unpublished threshhold, to where 3 heavily used residential IPs will be ignored, but anything more than that will trigger the message. Yes, there will be people who find ways around this -- such as those who learn to change their residential IP, or those who use VPNs. However, this will be the extreme minority of users, and Netflix can simply ignore this factor.

No doubt this would bring on some bad press and a ton of social media outrage. Netflix probably doesn't want it at this point, as they're doing well anyway. No point to rock the boat. Take a look at the Moviepass disaster, where among other mistakes, they obsessed over multiaccounting to the point of being draconian, and their methods also had plenty of false positives. That was one of many factors which killed them.

Wouldn't 2FA be the easiest way to do this or am I missing something here? PLOL probably doesnt want to respond to 8 texts a day to grant access.

I guess on the premium plan you would be allowed like 4 phone numbers tho, so it could hypothetically limit it to that. Doesn't solve it completely, but would remove a chunk of sharers.

Load Metric
    Sounds like a royal pain in the balls. I'm just going to stick with my heavily discounted subscription to The Pirate Bay.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

Wouldn't 2FA be the easiest way to do this or am I missing something here? PLOL probably doesnt want to respond to 8 texts a day to grant access.

I guess on the premium plan you would be allowed like 4 phone numbers tho, so it could hypothetically limit it to that. Doesn't solve it completely, but would remove a chunk of sharers.
    They could 2FA it, yes, but there are issues:

1) Nobody is going to want to respond to a text every time they watch Netflix.

2) It's not too hard to circumvent, even for people without technical knowledge. "Hey dad, whenever Netflix texts you, can you send me the code?" "Sure, son."

Load Metric
    I have netflix “for life” thanks to tmobile being god

Thread Information