Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** NBA 2020-21 Thread

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

He was also really good against Milwaukee, where basically the entire team except him and KCP were trash. I watched that one in entirety (and bet on it), and was amazed at how well he played.

I watched that one also. He was better tonight. Clearly the Bucks are much better so it’s relative, but he had 46 on 26 shots tonight with only two free throws and very few bunnies. He was 7/11 from 3 and hitting freakish fade away threes.

Obviously I rarely missed a LeBron game for a dozen years playing for us and he takes over many a game, but this was one of the better pure shooting games I’ve ever seen him have. He really single handedly beat us. He was 19/26 and the other four starters shot under 35%. I can’t believe I’m watching this shit still in his 18th season. I was in my late twenties when I started watching this kids high school games on TV and he’s still the best player in the world. Between him and Tom Brady, I don’t expect to see this type of career again in my life. If I do I’ll be dying of natural causes by the time it’s ending.
    He is shooting very good from 3 so far this year, especially considering the 3's he takes (a lot of long 3's off the dribble and step backs). I suspect he will come back down to earth at some point. In a recent pod Simmons was saying based on the season so far he liked Embiid and Lebron the most for MVP. But a long way to go, and Embiid has to stay healthy and Lebron has to keep up the hot shooting.

Unicorn games like the Cleveland game notwithstanding Lebron isn't actually taking that many shots (at least for an MVP candidate), so if/when his shooting % from 3 declines his scoring average could dip into the low 20s which is probably too low for serious MVP consideration, even if he stays efficient and the Lakers keep winning.

Load Metric
    I am truly curious what value Andre Drummond has as the Cavs look to shop him/Love/ and they’ll be giving away Javale.

Drummond is still Drummond with his inefficient offense, but I heard rumors of Charlotte being interested, and any time you get Jordan and Kupchak involved, it’s almost as exciting as getting Sacramento involved.

Drummond has played decent defense this year and the rebounding is always there. I’ve went from thinking he’d be a buyout to having some hope he might possibly fetch a late first from someone dumb.

I assume it’s bs, but rumors also have Love in play. I can’t imagine anyone taking him off our hands without us attaching an asset. I’d be thrilled if we could give him away and get him off the books.

I’m really happy with this rebuild so far. We have 4 guys under 22 I really like. It’s bizarre to have multiple Cleveland teams being ran well, but right now, the Indians, Cavs, and the Browns are all under fairly competent management. That’s never happened.

It’s a shame Gilbert owns the Cleveland team in a capped sport instead of him owning the Indians. He made so much money last year under the radar during Covid year, but he’s now the second wealthiest owner in the NBA by a wide margin. He’s closer to Ballmer than third wealthiest is to him. Dude has $50 billion now.

With his desire to win, it’s a shame we can’t attract free agents as the luxury tax would be pennies to him.
    Was eyeing your bigs as a Blazers fan before realizing all the non-Javale's make way too much to acquire without giving up anyone significant.

Cavs will fetch something for Drummond IMO. He already puts up numbers and I think he could really thrive with an established, reduced role in a good system.

Love will cost, but who knows? There seems to be a resurgence in front offices making short-sighted moves over the last couple of years.

Always enjoy when teams become watchable and fun after several years of being terrible (Cavs, Knicks, Suns). Still holding out hope that one day the Pistons will be fun.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Watched Brooklyn take on heat playing really well together.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANKRIZZO View Post
    I think they're still deep in the weeds to figuring things out. They won't be holding many teams to under 100 this year.

If they come out of the east it will not be because they figure it out; it will be because Kevin Durant is the second best player in the game and James Harden can fucking score.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANKRIZZO View Post
    I think they're still deep in the weeds to figuring things out. They won't be holding many teams to under 100 this year.

If they come out of the east it will not be because they figure it out; it will be because Kevin Durant is the second best player in the game and James Harden can fucking score.
    I always wish I could have 30 unfiltered minutes with a GM like Marks where he couldn’t lie. I’d love to know given two weeks if he had a do over? I look back a few years ago and they had this scrappy young Nets team and assets and that strikes me as a dream when you’re a GM. Especially for a team that’s never won anything. I have to think he loved his job then.

Then the Russian who had already learned the lesson of making bad trades sells to the Ali Baba guy, and you’re going from scrappy young team to Miami Heat shit, and that’s a dream too, but the Heat were forming a big 3 with two way players who can be giant assholes, but no one ever questions their work ethic, and all three of them were in their 20s in 2010.

The crazy part of these mega deals is it’s the small shit that seems like nothing when you’re landing huge whales that comes back and can haunt you and that has to drive you crazy if you’re the GM. Like the Heat has to ship some first rounders just to make the salary cap work even though LeBron was a free agent. Shit you don’t give one fuck about when you’re forming a super team and they’ll be 30th pick in first round, and then you’re sitting there with Joel Anthony trying to rebound for you against the Spurs and have no cap or assets. It’s the little shit that’s the difference between winning 3 or 4 out of 4 and maybe keeping it all together. It was mostly Wade falling apart, but those little things have to haunt you.

I always wonder about the pressure from ownership and your stars when you’re making these deals and how you end up looking like the idiot, but you’re getting all those millions to take the bullet for ownership and superstars and never blame them if you’re the GM.

Marks struck me as pretty sharp, and you have the Rockets playing the Sixers off against you, and maybe the owner or Durant is pressuring you to get it done, and you lose Allen just to make it happen that moment and then you’re watching Reggie Perry have to play serious minutes and thinking how this most amazing offensive triple threat of all time might go up in flames over some kid who was a basic 12/10 guy, but he allowed Durant to not have to play defense and 40 minutes, and you’re now trying to find something off the scrap pile as all these guys are on the wrong side of 30 and the window is short and you’re fucked if it doesn’t happen in the next two years. Then you add in needing Durant to now have to play defense and more minutes can take it all down if he has an injury setback.

That Clippers deal and this deal, if they don’t work, is going to be the wake up call for the short term thinkers again. I think its often ownership wanting to play with their new toy. The Russian had just bought them when they did the horrible Pierce/ KG deal. Balmer wanted to win this moment. Idk where the pressure came from for Marks, but it’s got to make for some sleepless nights if you’re the GM sitting there with 3 over 30 dudes, all of whom have walked on winning teams when it didn’t go right. Harden/Durant looked fantastic immediately. They are so good that getting a bunch of pieces for Kyrie is obvious, but you just have no idea what promises were made to whom and how they’ll react. It could all go down in flames over some kid who didn’t want to be second option to LeBron fucking James and wants to sage your court and is dropping Malcolm X quotes from 1962 when he has a bad day. That has to feel surreal if you’re Marks. All the shit that can go wrong.

Load Metric
    Caris Levert out indefinitely with mass on kidney. Assuming it arose during physical with new team. Hopefully it’s nothing, but crazy if getting traded might have allowed him to be diagnosed earlier.
    Shit, this did end up being cancer. I don’t know if that was known or not? Early reports are the surgery is viewed as a surgical cure. No matter what becomes of this whole big trade, Harden being a head case very well may have saved Leverts life catching this before it spread. What a break.

Load Metric

I always wish I could have 30 unfiltered minutes with a GM like Marks where he couldn’t lie. I’d love to know given two weeks if he had a do over? I look back a few years ago and they had this scrappy young Nets team and assets and that strikes me as a dream when you’re a GM. Especially for a team that’s never won anything. I have to think he loved his job then.

Then the Russian who had already learned the lesson of making bad trades sells to the Ali Baba guy, and you’re going from scrappy young team to Miami Heat shit, and that’s a dream too, but the Heat were forming a big 3 with two way players who can be giant assholes, but no one ever questions their work ethic, and all three of them were in their 20s in 2010.

The crazy part of these mega deals is it’s the small shit that seems like nothing when you’re landing huge whales that comes back and can haunt you and that has to drive you crazy if you’re the GM. Like the Heat has to ship some first rounders just to make the salary cap work even though LeBron was a free agent. Shit you don’t give one fuck about when you’re forming a super team and they’ll be 30th pick in first round, and then you’re sitting there with Joel Anthony trying to rebound for you against the Spurs and have no cap or assets. It’s the little shit that’s the difference between winning 3 or 4 out of 4 and maybe keeping it all together. It was mostly Wade falling apart, but those little things have to haunt you.

I always wonder about the pressure from ownership and your stars when you’re making these deals and how you end up looking like the idiot, but you’re getting all those millions to take the bullet for ownership and superstars and never blame them if you’re the GM.

Marks struck me as pretty sharp, and you have the Rockets playing the Sixers off against you, and maybe the owner or Durant is pressuring you to get it done, and you lose Allen just to make it happen that moment and then you’re watching Reggie Perry have to play serious minutes and thinking how this most amazing offensive triple threat of all time might go up in flames over some kid who was a basic 12/10 guy, but he allowed Durant to not have to play defense and 40 minutes, and you’re now trying to find something off the scrap pile as all these guys are on the wrong side of 30 and the window is short and you’re fucked if it doesn’t happen in the next two years. Then you add in needing Durant to now have to play defense and more minutes can take it all down if he has an injury setback.

That Clippers deal and this deal, if they don’t work, is going to be the wake up call for the short term thinkers again. I think its often ownership wanting to play with their new toy. The Russian had just bought them when they did the horrible Pierce/ KG deal. Balmer wanted to win this moment. Idk where the pressure came from for Marks, but it’s got to make for some sleepless nights if you’re the GM sitting there with 3 over 30 dudes, all of whom have walked on winning teams when it didn’t go right. Harden/Durant looked fantastic immediately. They are so good that getting a bunch of pieces for Kyrie is obvious, but you just have no idea what promises were made to whom and how they’ll react. It could all go down in flames over some kid who didn’t want to be second option to LeBron fucking James and wants to sage your court and is dropping Malcolm X quotes from 1962 when he has a bad day. That has to feel surreal if you’re Marks. All the shit that can go wrong.
    The DeAndre Jordan contract is perhaps the most emblematic of this -- not only that, but Durant/Irving being able to insist on him starting over Jarrett Allen at the time is laughable. Just an empirically bad, indefensible basketball decision because Kevin Durant wanted to start alongside his buddy.

Durant and Irving already ran the coach out of town, replacing him with a novice in Steve Nash who honestly looks clueless and scared.

Durant, an invaluable asset coming off a season-long Achilles injury, played 50+ minutes in a meaningless double OT loss against the Cavs in January.

It's coaching malpractice, either because Nash is clueless or Durant has that much say.

Both of the 'second' teams in New York and LA are desperate to carve out an identity and each now has two top 15 players. I don't think either team ever wins a title with the current renditions.

All that being said, I still think it's like 50:50 it works in Brooklyn because Durant (and Harden, to some extent) are that good.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    im not an X and Os guy, but just looking at what atkinson did with the roster in BKN he was given a few years back looks like he's at worst a competent head coach...

think i posted this a few pages back...all three of kyrie/KD/harden have player options after 2021-22 season (pretty sure it's after next year and not this year)...so if they dont win and these guys decide to fuck off it's gonna make that KG/pierce trade look like a genius move...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Mark Cuban won't let the Mavericks play the national anthem anymore at home games: https://nypost.com/2021/02/09/mark-c...nthem-anymore/

What an asshole.

There's not a single country on this earth where a large portion of their population is ashamed of the national anthem and doesn't want it played. LOL wokeness in sports

Pathetic.

Load Metric
    Mark Cuban won't let the Mavericks play the national anthem anymore at home games: https://nypost.com/2021/02/09/mark-c...nthem-anymore/

What an asshole.

There's not a single country on this earth where a large portion of their population is ashamed of the national anthem and doesn't want it played. LOL wokeness in sports

Pathetic.
    At the same time, playing it before every (some would say any) random sporting event is pretty pointless. A mid-February Mavs-Twolves regular season game isn't exactly a national treasure. Save that shit for the Super Bowl and other finals.

Looking at this in a vacuum, I would assume the woke crowd would actually be more upset with this. Kneeling players causing controversy? Fuck it, get rid of the anthem. Problem solved on Cuban's end, no kneeling in Dallas.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Blake Griffin is being shut down, Luol Deng style, until they can trade him.

Clippers were smart to dump him and his monster contract after a year. Now he's owed huge money next year (and the remainder of this year). Injuries have turned him into an average player.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ormer-all-star

Load Metric

Clippers were smart to dump him and his monster contract after a year. Now he's owed huge money next year (and the remainder of this year). Injuries have turned him into an average player.

Haven't been following the market much but not sure what realistic options Blake has.

He's owed $30M+ this year and next. Buy out guys usually leave a mil or two on the table but can't imagine he is willing to part with much more. Would still be a valuable guy on the right contract.

LOL Pistons.

Load Metric

Haven't been following the market much but not sure what realistic options Blake has.

He's owed $30M+ this year and next. Buy out guys usually leave a mil or two on the table but can't imagine he is willing to part with much more. Would still be a valuable guy on the right contract.

LOL Pistons.
    I feel like we are fucked trying to move Drummond and he has some tangible value if you have a specific area of need like rebounding. His entire problem is in his head with being unwilling to play a role.

I can’t imagine trying to move that Griffin contract with $39 million due next year. Dude hasn’t dunked a basketball since 12/19. He’s simply broken. I don’t even know why someone would want him? He doesn’t solve any problem even assuming he was dirt cheap.

Load Metric

LOL Pistons.
    I feel like we are fucked trying to move Drummond and he has some tangible value if you have a specific area of need like rebounding. His entire problem is in his head with being unwilling to play a role.

I can’t imagine trying to move that Griffin contract with $39 million due next year. Dude hasn’t dunked a basketball since 12/19. He’s simply broken. I don’t even know why someone would want him? He doesn’t solve any problem even assuming he was dirt cheap.
    What sucks for CLE now is Boston would be a perfect landing spot for Drummond, as they have the huge trade exception from the Heyward deal. Doesn't sound like Boston wants him though. Bigs without range don't get much run there. Would be hilarious though if that happened, and he took Tristan Thompsons minutes again.

Drummond would be great on Dallas. Not sure if they have assets to pull off a deal though. Nets would love him, but who knows if that is possible.

Blake is lolbad now. A stretch 4 who can't shoot. He was like the 8th best player on the shit Pistons team. Either he is going to just sit at home and collect his paycheck for 18 months, or accept a big loss with a buyout and go somewhere like Phoenix and play 15 minutes a night on the 2nd unit.

Load Metric
    The Hornets are incredibly fun for the first time since Grandmama, 'Zo and Muggsy Bogues in the mid 90's.

I used to be a Bobcats season ticket holder (lol) when I lived in NC as a means to see other teams in person, and man those were some rough years. THey became finally watchable when they rebranded as the Hornets, but still were pretty brutal minus a couple of fun Kemba Walker seasons.

Sports apparel stores in Charlotte carried next to no Bobcats gear, and it was completely nonexistent in my hometown.

Terrible team to try and predict, but legitimately a fun watch every time I've seen them this year. Fun battle with Phoenix last night.

Comments

garrett: Alonzo Mourning and Larry Johnson rep =)...

Load Metric
    I try not to be the old man yells at cloud guy as I age. These kids today are great and I enjoy the smarter approach to the game and that 3>2, but this was the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen and I died a little inside when I saw these highlights last night and these dumbasses run to the 3 line down two.

Comments

Sloppy Joe: Lol, brutal

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I had a bet on that game. Mind you, I had -7.5, but at least OT would've given me a shot.

Washington has looked really good lately.

You know who else has looked great? Miami. They just beat the Jazz. I was dumb enough to bet against them last time out. This time I bet them against the surprisingly powerful Jazz, and my +215 hit. That's 5 in a row for the Heat. They've just looked really strong lately, and having Dragic back only makes them better.

On the other side, how garbage are the Lakers without AD?

Answer: Very garbage.

Comments

BCR: That’s a nice hit. Miami is one of those teams that are better against good teams. If I’m Lebron, I give up the MVP chase and just plan for playoffs. They want to give it to him though so it will be hard to walk away. Two month offseason-should rest

Sloppy Joe: Bam is god

Load Metric
    I would not want that memory for free on top shot. I’m trying to forget it

Load Metric

Knicks fans already delusional now that they have an average team for the first time in a decade.

Load Metric
    Holy shit did Joel Embiid completely annihilate probable DPOY Rudy Gobert and the Jazz tonight.

I've always thought Embiid had the pedigree to be a legitimate top 5 player if he cut out the dumb shots, skipped the second dinners and played for a real coach.
    76ers feeling very real.

Philly needs to go all in on a point guard and put real fear in the Nets.

Thread Information