Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** NBA 2020-21 Thread

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    What do you Blazers guys think about Chauncey hire? Was a cerebral player. Is so inexperienced as a coach, I guess it’s hard to have much of an opinion. Kind of a strange move when you need to win soon. I assume he had Dame’s blessing. As an announcer, I thought he was decent. Certainly not annoying guy. Was generally low key.

Made me wonder with Lue looking so much better than previous stints, if the word around the league was that Chauncey was really the brains. Just strange with all the guys who pay their dues to get a gig that quickly. I saw Kidd and Hammons rumored. Certainly better than Kidd, and idk how the Hammons hire will play out eventually. I’m sure she’s got a great mind to be the first serious contender, but still strikes me as a tough dynamic to be head coach with how important chemistry is
    The rape settlement stuff is not playing well locally.

Dame probably just saving face but a chance this blows up.

I think Billups would probably be a good fit but the roster issues remain. Olshey had more years on his contract but pretty miraculous he's still around.
    I remember this because I remember everything a little bit not the details, but figured if it was going to blow up on him, it would have been back during metoo when he was on tv. Iirc, more of a picked up a broad young in his career gangbang story and I seem to recall Michael Irvin or Garnett or both somehow in the story, but I might be conflating two different incidents.

Your ghosts of Christmas past shit that they didn’t even mention a few years ago now haunt you, which they should if you’re a legit rapist, but I don’t recall any criminal charge and damn it had to be late 90s. That’s a long time ago unless you’re a legit rapist rather than young dude who ended up in bad spot with athlete groupie.

Load Metric

The rape settlement stuff is not playing well locally.

Dame probably just saving face but a chance this blows up.

I think Billups would probably be a good fit but the roster issues remain. Olshey had more years on his contract but pretty miraculous he's still around.
    I remember this because I remember everything a little bit not the details, but figured if it was going to blow up on him, it would have been back during metoo when he was on tv. Iirc, more of a picked up a broad young in his career gangbang story and I seem to recall Michael Irvin or Garnett or both somehow in the story, but I might be conflating two different incidents.

Your ghosts of Christmas past shit that they didn’t even mention a few years ago now haunt you, which they should if you’re a legit rapist, but I don’t recall any criminal charge and damn it had to be late 90s. That’s a long time ago unless you’re a legit rapist rather than young dude who ended up in bad spot with athlete groupie.

Dame may be using this as leverage to force a trade.

I think he really wants out but has made it known for years that he won't be that guy.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric

I think he really wants out but has made it known for years that he won't be that guy.
    Just read through the incident. Obviously I remembered something else. Idk man. Like you’re a rookie and the woman was described as on and off again girlfriend of Walksr. I assume if she wasn’t some sports groupie, he’d probably have had a huge issue with this incident, but he didn’t. It’s such a different world. Some lawyer might have told him to simply settle it back then even if he felt he was 100% innocent. No criminal charges. No idea how the world would change. Sometimes you can only go by a dude’s life going forward, and he married and had 3 kids and no other issues. Funny part is I think I read the story back then and thought it was that Michael Irvin who was Walkers roommate rather than a Michael Irvin. Weird how memory works that I’d remember the name and thought it was cowboys Irvin.

I’m for putting a bullet in an actual rapists head if he’s guilty, but I also recall girls who were down for anyone in a group just being a normal dude, so I can’t imagine what it’s like being an NBA player. When no charges are filed, hell this seems 10x less an issue than Kobe’s case where true charges were a thing and seemed imminent, and the world mourned him and he’s now a saint.

Seems like all you can do is judge a dude by his life going forward in these cases where the police took a pass.

As far as Dame, that’s a separate issue as to whether he’ll use this as an out. Where you going to go where they didn’t already have an incident on this level at some point? It would be an excuse.

It’s not like he’s Lebron. He’s post 30 now, it seems he’d prefer to stay if they could make any move that gives him an actual shot, but are you angry as a Blazers fan if he moves on for a boatload or picks/assets? Lillard is an Oakland kid who has been loyal past 30. He’s not a hometown 26 year old like LeBron where you’re always one piece away.

It would hurt as he’s unreal fun, but you know you’re sitting there 3 years from now in a better spot if they can’t move CJ for something that just fits, and that seems unlikely with him on the wrong side of 30 in a year. It’s always a simple calculus really. Like 2 or 3 guys you can add any top 10 guy to and they have a true shot. Prime LeBron, a Durant, but it’s almost always a wing or stretch. With Dame, you need another top 7 or 8 guy and a top 20 guy or 3 top 20 guys in addition to him in this league, and you just don’t have the assets to grab that it would seem. Sometimes it’s more fun to blow it up when you’ve come up short and sell high. If he wants out for real, it’s one of those best to be honest spots and no one really hates on a 6’2 guy whatever he might have once said. You simply can’t ever be enough at that size even if you’re Steph or whomever.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    So I'm reading The Ringers updated mock draft, and damn they must really love Cunningham based on their player comps. For him they say:

"Supersized Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Shorter Ben Simmons With a Jumper"

I mean, that is describing better-than-a-superstar. If you had to add a third comp to that, what would it be? Seems like "LeBron James" is what those first two are describing.
    Nah. I listen to all the Ringer pods. No one is projecting Cunningham is a potential generational player. In fact for a likely #1 pick I would say the projections are more modest than average. The Cunningham hype is nothing compared to Zion 2 years ago.

Load Metric

Just read through the incident. Obviously I remembered something else. Idk man. Like you’re a rookie and the woman was described as on and off again girlfriend of Walksr. I assume if she wasn’t some sports groupie, he’d probably have had a huge issue with this incident, but he didn’t. It’s such a different world. Some lawyer might have told him to simply settle it back then even if he felt he was 100% innocent. No criminal charges. No idea how the world would change. Sometimes you can only go by a dude’s life going forward, and he married and had 3 kids and no other issues. Funny part is I think I read the story back then and thought it was that Michael Irvin who was Walkers roommate rather than a Michael Irvin. Weird how memory works that I’d remember the name and thought it was cowboys Irvin.

I’m for putting a bullet in an actual rapists head if he’s guilty, but I also recall girls who were down for anyone in a group just being a normal dude, so I can’t imagine what it’s like being an NBA player. When no charges are filed, hell this seems 10x less an issue than Kobe’s case where true charges were a thing and seemed imminent, and the world mourned him and he’s now a saint.

Seems like all you can do is judge a dude by his life going forward in these cases where the police took a pass.

As far as Dame, that’s a separate issue as to whether he’ll use this as an out. Where you going to go where they didn’t already have an incident on this level at some point? It would be an excuse.

It’s not like he’s Lebron. He’s post 30 now, it seems he’d prefer to stay if they could make any move that gives him an actual shot, but are you angry as a Blazers fan if he moves on for a boatload or picks/assets? Lillard is an Oakland kid who has been loyal past 30. He’s not a hometown 26 year old like LeBron where you’re always one piece away.

It would hurt as he’s unreal fun, but you know you’re sitting there 3 years from now in a better spot if they can’t move CJ for something that just fits, and that seems unlikely with him on the wrong side of 30 in a year. It’s always a simple calculus really. Like 2 or 3 guys you can add any top 10 guy to and they have a true shot. Prime LeBron, a Durant, but it’s almost always a wing or stretch. With Dame, you need another top 7 or 8 guy and a top 20 guy or 3 top 20 guys in addition to him in this league, and you just don’t have the assets to grab that it would seem. Sometimes it’s more fun to blow it up when you’ve come up short and sell high. If he wants out for real, it’s one of those best to be honest spots and no one really hates on a 6’2 guy whatever he might have once said. You simply can’t ever be enough at that size even if you’re Steph or whomever.
    I am fine with Billups but local outcry has been high.

Trading Dame should be the executive mindset but as a fan I just hope they keep him and am fine supporting a good but not great team with no chance at a title.

Riding out Lillard's max will just be way more fun than getting a haul of assets and maybe being positioned to be better in five years. Portland will never be a free agent destination either way.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Dame probaby wants a championship, and he's been long underrated because he's been in Portland -- both a small market and a team which never quite gets there.

Always been a big fan of his, so if they do ship him elsewhere, I hope he gets that ring. He's starting to get more credit recently, but he'd be a huge deal if he played in a bigger market with a good team.

Load Metric
    Smh Giannis.

Whichever team wins is going to be starting deep bench guys. Tough look for the league.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yeah, no Trae Young and no Giannis makes this a weird series.

The Clippers need to come back and win the Conference Finals more than ever.

Load Metric
    Smh Giannis.

Whichever team wins is going to be starting deep bench guys. Tough look for the league.
    This is uncharted territory as far as a joke.

Strange that the bubble year felt like it would be the weird year, yet the quality of play was high and injuries minimal. This year with the short break is the Covid season imo. The outlier year where everyone broke down at some point. I don’t even know what to make of the emerging young guys. The Booker, Ayton, Trae types. Obviously talented, but went from empty stats guys to outlasting the older players breaking down. I’ll need to see another year whatever happens to form an opinion.

Load Metric
    Silver might be pondering canceling the rest of playoffs and just giving the Lakers the title.

Load Metric
    Silver might be pondering canceling the rest of playoffs and just giving the Lakers the title.
    That or orchestrating Schroeder, Kuzma, and a 2028 first for Dame.

It was damn enjoyable until the injuries seeing new teams. Now it’s a bit silly with Kawhi being Kawhi, Paul on inhaler and Booker with nose smashed in, and Trae and Giannis hurt. Trae was just a freak accident

Collins even had a shit game. We had Lou Williams playing a solid efficient game in the ECF as a starter. Just a strange year. Guess it’s better than the Nets sweeping everyone, which seems obvious now had they even been 2/3 healthy

Load Metric

It was damn enjoyable until the injuries seeing new teams. Now it’s a bit silly with Kawhi being Kawhi, Paul on inhaler and Booker with nose smashed in, and Trae and Giannis hurt. Trae was just a freak accident

Collins even had a shit game. We had Lou Williams playing a solid efficient game in the ECF as a starter. Just a strange year. Guess it’s better than the Nets sweeping everyone, which seems obvious now had they even been 2/3 healthy

Please don't make me have my heart attack yet.

Load Metric

Set him free. Not at all about the Chauncey noise, but team still on a fast-path to nowhere, minimal ways to improve with ascending teams beginning to come as well.

Load Metric

Set him free. Not at all about the Chauncey noise, but team still on a fast-path to nowhere, minimal ways to improve with ascending teams beginning to come as well.
    2 ideas I like to stay competitive:

The CJ-for Simmons swap assuming Dame wants to stay.

If Dame has to go, him to Boston for Jaylen Brown, Smart, and some picks.

Load Metric

Both of those good returns.

CJ + x for Ben Simmons would be huge for Portland if Dame stays.

Load Metric
    I swear I have listened to like five podcasts the last few weeks from Simmons to Lowe to whomever, and the show is a day old and it’s the Trae show, or Kawhi Show, or Giannis is going to win a championship, and the next day the dude is out indefinitely. Things are dated in a day not just because a team has lost, but the star is dead also.

Load Metric
    I swear I have listened to like five podcasts the last few weeks from Simmons to Lowe to whomever, and the show is a day old and it’s the Trae show, or Kawhi Show, or Giannis is going to win a championship, and the next day the dude is out indefinitely. Things are dated in a day not just because a team has lost, but the star is dead also.
    Seriously, the guys from previous generations have to be secretly laughing at these guys. Whining about rest time and b2b's....guys are more fragile now than ever.

Just like MLB babying the pitchers with pitch counts and etc hasn't done shit to prevent arm injuries.

Speaking of Bauer on the other thread, he needs a fucking computer to tell him if he's slept well. Wade Boggs would recommend a case of beer and some extra BP.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Seriously, the guys from previous generations have to be secretly laughing at these guys. Whining about rest time and b2b's....guys are more fragile now than ever.

Just like MLB babying the pitchers with pitch counts and etc hasn't done shit to prevent arm injuries.

Speaking of Bauer on the other thread, he needs a fucking computer to tell him if he's slept well. Wade Boggs would recommend a case of beer and some extra BP.
    Nice Wade Boggs reference! His glory years coincided with Gwynns early years. Very comparable hitters, I'm biased Gwynn was better and was a Gold Glover and 50 stolen base guy a few times iirc. This was before he started crushing the San Diego fast food scene. Carne Asada nachos and Popeyes were two of his favorites. His son does radio broadcasts now and the voices are so similar its scary. RIP Padre19

I fully expect Clippers to win tonight and be in a close game 7 Friday. We shall see GO Clippers!!!

Bronze
    Load Metric

My team in the playoffs when I was young(Clippers never made it) was the Celtics. Larry was the Basketball Jesus and every one of my friends and Dad liked the Lakers on the West Coast. I have wanted to see this Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum combo through but if this trade presents itself you must do it if you are Boston. Dame has at least 3 more years of good ball and Tatum has arrived. Losing Smart would suck tho I must admit. Does this get Blazers in a better spot? Not sure but you move CJ after this deal and get young.
    Last edited by padre33; 06-30-2021 at 11:25 AM.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by padre33 View Post

My team in the playoffs when I was young(Clippers never made it) was the Celtics. Larry was there Basketball Jesus and every one of my friends and Dad liked the Lakers on the West Coast. I have wanted to see this Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum combo through but if this trade presents itself you must do it if you are Boston. Dame has at least 3 more years of good ball and Tatum has arrived. Losing Smart would suck tho I must admit. Does this get Blazers in a better spot? Not sure but you move CJ after this deal and get young.
    I feel like Dame talks aren't going anywhere tho. Chauncey must have gotten some security from Dame that he's staying to accept the job. From what I heard he had his pick of teams and there are other openings with potential (New Orleans). I mean 75% of NBA players ran the train with teammates back then.

Thread Information