Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** NBA 2020-21 Thread

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

Nah, he’s good enough and had to have better options. I saw something saying he was expected to get $15. Seemed fucked by Lowry signing timing.

You were right. No issue saying I was wrong. Lebron got these dudes to sign up again. Really didn’t see it happening at this age. I wouldn’t. About the only thing I really didn’t consider is how many regular season minutes these guys see looking at bigger contracts. Still think they’re dumb if they’re young and have other options. Miami rescinded Nunn straight up, but they’re on border of hard cap, so just business decision for them.

He is dude who fought his way up from G League and, I’m pretty sure, is consider good at defense and improved efficiency both years. Heat, I’d have to think, hated to let him go. Seems like their type. I didn’t watch him a lot, but seems really solid.

About the only thing is every guy they signed besides Nunn sucks at defense. Like real bad. AD staying healthy is literally everything. I’d be hesitant to hardly play him regular season. It’s going to be a high scoring DNP regular season, but if healthy, I can’t see who beats them in playoffs until Nets. Nets added Mills, which is really good, so rich get richer per usual.
    Nunn? My understanding is he barely played last season down the stretch except when he had to because players were hurt because he sucks at defense which isn't entirely his fault, as he is short and has a slim frame. My understanding (mainly from listening to Simmons and Rusillo) is that Spoelstra hated how much he had to play him because of his D and couldn't wait to replace him. I looked up his height and Wiki says he is 6'2" 190. I would guess that is an exaggeration on both fronts.

From what I saw, he is basically a poor man's Lou Williams. I don't think the Lakers can play him and Westbrook together, but I am sure Westbrook will miss a bunch of games due to injuries/rest so he can fill in. The news report says he turned down more money from other teams, which is crazy to me as I think he could be out of the league in a couple years.
    Nunn will be out of the league in a couple years? He's played 2 years and averaged 15 ppg and is a good shooter. Was all NBA rookie first team.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarefish View Post

Nunn? My understanding is he barely played last season down the stretch except when he had to because players were hurt because he sucks at defense which isn't entirely his fault, as he is short and has a slim frame. My understanding (mainly from listening to Simmons and Rusillo) is that Spoelstra hated how much he had to play him because of his D and couldn't wait to replace him. I looked up his height and Wiki says he is 6'2" 190. I would guess that is an exaggeration on both fronts.

From what I saw, he is basically a poor man's Lou Williams. I don't think the Lakers can play him and Westbrook together, but I am sure Westbrook will miss a bunch of games due to injuries/rest so he can fill in. The news report says he turned down more money from other teams, which is crazy to me as I think he could be out of the league in a couple years.
    Nunn will be out of the league in a couple years? He's played 2 years and averaged 15 ppg and is a good shooter. Was all NBA rookie first team.
    I am not watching the heat on a random Tuesday night against the hornets. I have seen a lot of his playoff games and my impression is he wasn’t very good, except for a couple games he put up big numbers in garbage time. Maybe you are right. I was surprised his stats are as good as they are based off my eye test.

Silver
    Load Metric

Last edited by JoeD; 08-04-2021 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Fake news nevermind

Load Metric
    So the Westbrook and Dinwiddie sign-n-trades are being lumped into a giant 5 team trade. My initial thought when seeing it all lumped together was "damn, Washington might be sneaky good....they are definitely quite deep right now"

Lakers to acquire Russell Westbrook, the Bulls’ 2023 second-round pick (from Wizards), either the Wizards’ or Grizzlies’ 2024 second-round pick (whichever is least favorable; from Wizards), and the Wizards’ 2028 second-round pick.

Wizards to acquire Spencer Dinwiddie (sign-and-trade), Kyle Kuzma, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Montrezl Harrell, Aaron Holiday, the draft rights to Isaiah Todd (No. 31 pick), and cash (from Pacers).

Nets to acquire either the Wizards’ or the Grizzlies’ 2024 second-round pick (whichever is most favorable; from Wizards), the right to swap the Warriors’ 2025 second-round pick for the Wizards’ 2025 second-round pick (from Wizards), and the draft rights to Nikola Milutinov.

Spurs to acquire Chandler Hutchison and either the Bulls’, the Lakers’, or the Pistons 2022 second-round pick (whichever is most favorable; from Wizards).

Pacers to acquire the draft rights to Isaiah Jackson (No. 22 pick).
    I mean, having 1 star and 11 solid people still probably tops out at like a 5 seed maybe in the east. But they are seriously like 12 deep now. Lets say a starting 5 of Dinwiddie-Beal-Kuzma-Hachimura-Bryant....then you have a 2nd unit of Holiday-KCP-Avdija-Bertans-Harrell. Like the Bulls, just an interesting team now.

Also, overall, a great trade return when all they shipped out was Russ and 6 2nd round picks. Amazing they didnt have to part with a first anywhere.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    So the Westbrook and Dinwiddie sign-n-trades are being lumped into a giant 5 team trade. My initial thought when seeing it all lumped together was "damn, Washington might be sneaky good....they are definitely quite deep right now"

Lakers to acquire Russell Westbrook, the Bulls’ 2023 second-round pick (from Wizards), either the Wizards’ or Grizzlies’ 2024 second-round pick (whichever is least favorable; from Wizards), and the Wizards’ 2028 second-round pick.

Wizards to acquire Spencer Dinwiddie (sign-and-trade), Kyle Kuzma, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Montrezl Harrell, Aaron Holiday, the draft rights to Isaiah Todd (No. 31 pick), and cash (from Pacers).

Nets to acquire either the Wizards’ or the Grizzlies’ 2024 second-round pick (whichever is most favorable; from Wizards), the right to swap the Warriors’ 2025 second-round pick for the Wizards’ 2025 second-round pick (from Wizards), and the draft rights to Nikola Milutinov.

Spurs to acquire Chandler Hutchison and either the Bulls’, the Lakers’, or the Pistons 2022 second-round pick (whichever is most favorable; from Wizards).

Pacers to acquire the draft rights to Isaiah Jackson (No. 22 pick).
    I mean, having 1 star and 11 solid people still probably tops out at like a 5 seed maybe in the east. But they are seriously like 12 deep now. Lets say a starting 5 of Dinwiddie-Beal-Kuzma-Hachimura-Bryant....then you have a 2nd unit of Holiday-KCP-Avdija-Bertans-Harrell. Like the Bulls, just an interesting team now.

Also, overall, a great trade return when all they shipped out was Russ and 6 2nd round picks. Amazing they didnt have to part with a first anywhere.
    Ya they did well. Dinwiddie is my guy. Bryant was hurt all last year, people forget how good he was looking 2 years ago.

Load Metric

Ya they did well. Dinwiddie is my guy. Bryant was hurt all last year, people forget how good he was looking 2 years ago.
    Love Dinwiddie also, hope he hasn't lost a step from the injury.

Also, gotta say what a turnaround for Wiz fans after the years of Grunfeld. Sheppard now was able to get rid of the worst contract in the league for one that was not quite as bad, and then flip that contract for a nice young piece in Kuzma and other assets. I thought 3 years ago there was no way in hell they could get rid of Wall.

Load Metric

Also, gotta say what a turnaround for Wiz fans after the years of Grunfeld. Sheppard now was able to get rid of the worst contract in the league for one that was not quite as bad, and then flip that contract for a nice young piece in Kuzma and other assets. I thought 3 years ago there was no way in hell they could get rid of Wall.
    Agree, great work.

That Lakers move for Russ feels worse by the day.

I trust LeBron knows what he's doing but Russ at that number is unconscionable. Maybe Russ has agreed to.play off the ball?

The thinking must be something like Russ will mop up enough minutes and to keep home court and allow LBJ and AD to chill through the regular season.

Still, the West ain't the East. Even Portland was able to destroy OKC (with Paul George) by just letting Westbrook launch.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

Agree, great work.

I trust LeBron knows what he's doing but Russ at that number is unconscionable. Maybe Russ has agreed to.play off the ball?

The thinking must be something like Russ will mop up enough minutes and to keep home court and allow LBJ and AD to chill through the regular season.

Still, the West ain't the East. Even Portland was able to destroy OKC (with Paul George) by just letting Westbrook launch.
    Yeah, I still hate the fit. That said, these NBA dudes are strange. They really are about playing with their friends somewhere desirable. That part isn’t weird, who doesn’t? Taking way less money is the weird part.

For whatever reason, these guys seem drawn more this year than the last two. It feels like now they want to be part of this Big 3, even if it’s not a real one. I also think Russ is as likable as he is inefficient. Seems like his teammates love him. Ownership and GM’s go out of their way to get him where he wants. Like hearing how he dealt with leaving Washington, he called up Beal and asked him how he felt about it and what his plans were and it seemed like Beal hasn’t made up his mind fully yet. Called up the GM and just told the truth and said, can we do this?

In a league of Lebrons and Kawhi’s who have Riley fly to Vegas to embarrass him, or have the whole country of Canada printing up King of the North t-shirts and leaving Masai hanging when they know they’re leaving, guys who are straightforward with teammates and ownership have some value beyond their salary.

Then add in if you get this guy, and that guy to take 3 and 5 million less, it becomes slightly more tolerable. As a player, it seems the shittiest fit ever, but if healthy, obviously the top 2 are so great that Russ being Russ may not be able to derail it. As you said, it’s all about playoff game planning. He can be Russ, they might even want him to be during the regular season. He can chuck all he wants then. It’s playoff time where he needs to play within the game.

Will be interesting to see if he can. He’s a strange dude. I think someone like Lebron is all about Lebron, yet plays unselfishly, while a Russ is a legit good dude from all accounts, yet plays like it’s all about him. Like a basketball-specific Napoleon Complex where he’s still trying to prove some draft scout who said he wouldn’t make it wrong long after he already made it. Or he’s legitimately just not...intelligent? One of those guys with great EQ, but low IQ.
    Last edited by BCR; 08-06-2021 at 06:24 AM.

Load Metric
    JR Smith going back to college to play golf. The young men on the North Carolina A&T golf team might not win many matches, but they will throw the best parties. I wonder if you can get NIL $ as a 36 year old retired NBA player? Despite the horrific game 1 mistake, I have always loved JR. Dude consistently cracked me up. A bunch of southern country club 19 year old golfers hanging with JR sounds like the best reality/Netflix series of all time.

Edit-Fuck, I forgot NC A&T is HBCU. I was ready to hire some filmmakers. I was picturing 18 year old Spieth or some random Asian kid at an Atlanta strip club after a tournament.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/12/golf/...ntl/index.html
    Last edited by BCR; 08-12-2021 at 06:05 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

Agree, great work.

Yeah, I still hate the fit. That said, these NBA dudes are strange. They really are about playing with their friends somewhere desirable. That part isn’t weird, who doesn’t? Taking way less money is the weird part.

For whatever reason, these guys seem drawn more this year than the last two. It feels like now they want to be part of this Big 3, even if it’s not a real one. I also think Russ is as likable as he is inefficient. Seems like his teammates love him. Ownership and GM’s go out of their way to get him where he wants. Like hearing how he dealt with leaving Washington, he called up Beal and asked him how he felt about it and what his plans were and it seemed like Beal hasn’t made up his mind fully yet. Called up the GM and just told the truth and said, can we do this?

In a league of Lebrons and Kawhi’s who have Riley fly to Vegas to embarrass him, or have the whole country of Canada printing up King of the North t-shirts and leaving Masai hanging when they know they’re leaving, guys who are straightforward with teammates and ownership have some value beyond their salary.

Then add in if you get this guy, and that guy to take 3 and 5 million less, it becomes slightly more tolerable. As a player, it seems the shittiest fit ever, but if healthy, obviously the top 2 are so great that Russ being Russ may not be able to derail it. As you said, it’s all about playoff game planning. He can be Russ, they might even want him to be during the regular season. He can chuck all he wants then. It’s playoff time where he needs to play within the game.

Will be interesting to see if he can. He’s a strange dude. I think someone like Lebron is all about Lebron, yet plays unselfishly, while a Russ is a legit good dude from all accounts, yet plays like it’s all about him. Like a basketball-specific Napoleon Complex where he’s still trying to prove some draft scout who said he wouldn’t make it wrong long after he already made it. Or he’s legitimately just not...intelligent? One of those guys with great EQ, but low IQ.
    Am still surprised that James Harden was able to adjust his game to such a degree and play like a new type of MVP before getting hurt.

Would be kicking myself if I were a Rockets fan thinking about what could have been. Perhaps Daryl Morey was right to shape those Rockets rosters like he did and just let Harden iso but boy was it shit to watch.

Think you're right about Westbrook's value in the regular season, keeping them afloat if (when) AD and LeBron get hurt. They'll need to acquire a shooter(s) before the playoffs when teams will back off from Russ like he has AIDS and COVID. This is exactly how Portland knocked off OKC a couple years back, ending with Lillard cucking Paul George in the coldest way imaginable.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Gold
    Load Metric
    I guess there is some drama where PJ Washington had a kid with some well-known Instagram model/T.H.O.T. who has actually previously written a book detailing her exploits and life philosophy, and he was shocked to find out she doesn't really love him and now just wants child support payments.

Anyways, apparently he is paying $200k/month, which seems really high to me given who he is. He was a #12 pick and is still on a rookie contract, so he can't be making a lot more than that. And I don't follow the Hornets that closely, but I never got the impression he was good enough he was guaranteed to get a big contract in a couple years. But if he is really paying that much, he must be.

Load Metric
    I guess there is some drama where PJ Washington had a kid with some well-known Instagram model/T.H.O.T. who has actually previously written a book detailing her exploits and life philosophy, and he was shocked to find out she doesn't really love him and now just wants child support payments.

Anyways, apparently he is paying $200k/month, which seems really high to me given who he is. He was a #12 pick and is still on a rookie contract, so he can't be making a lot more than that. And I don't follow the Hornets that closely, but I never got the impression he was good enough he was guaranteed to get a big contract in a couple years. But if he is really paying that much, he must be.
    You prompted me to read about it. He really fell for a super groupie there. Her previous boyfriends show she’s been trying to snag an athlete or rapper since she was 18. I laughed reading through the list. Like 12 black athletes and rappers and the first boyfriend was the white QB at an HBCU I recall seeing an ESPN segment where they called him the “White Tiger” in like 2008.

She’s lucky she didn’t get pregnant by him. Wouldn’t have been worth much.

I haven’t watched Charlotte much. Looking at his numbers, he’ll probably get a second contract of like 4/40, so he’ll be able to eat still. Live and learn. She’s almost 30 and he fell for it. Hopefully he learned his lesson and doesn’t become Dwight Howard or Shawn Kemp.

She’s getting ready to go on some groupie tour which, from what I can gather, has her doing shots at bars with some other Instagram chick who is trying to snag Lamelo. I’m sure she’ll be a great mom.

Load Metric

You prompted me to read about it. He really fell for a super groupie there. Her previous boyfriends show she’s been trying to snag an athlete or rapper since she was 18. I laughed reading through the list. Like 12 black athletes and rappers and the first boyfriend was the white QB at an HBCU I recall seeing an ESPN segment where they called him the “White Tiger” in like 2008.

She’s lucky she didn’t get pregnant by him. Wouldn’t have been worth much.

I haven’t watched Charlotte much. Looking at his numbers, he’ll probably get a second contract of like 4/40, so he’ll be able to eat still. Live and learn. She’s almost 30 and he fell for it. Hopefully he learned his lesson and doesn’t become Dwight Howard or Shawn Kemp.

She’s getting ready to go on some groupie tour which, from what I can gather, has her doing shots at bars with some other Instagram chick who is trying to snag Lamelo. I’m sure she’ll be a great mom.
    I hadn't heard of any of this and....wow.

Derek Jeter is really missing his true calling in life, which is to show these young athletes how to properly bang whores, don't get them pregnant, and have your assistant give them a gift basket on their way out the door.

Also, I almost feel like I would rather be in Trevor Bauers shoes right now than PJ Washingtons.

Platinum
    Load Metric

no kidding...but just remember there's the 'bigger idiot principle' involved in the NBA, even moreso than any other league...

i honestly think the celtics should put a 'king' name plate on their retired jersey banner...what that man did by mortgaging the entire future of the nets for pierce and garnett is the gift that keeps on giving...

Platinum
    Load Metric
    @BCR, pj washington will definitely get a lot more than 4/40...think KCP got something around 10/year from the lakers (think that was a little inflated from rich paul, who im pretty sure is his agent)...

pj should be looking at somewhere between 15-20 a year...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    @BCR, pj washington will definitely get a lot more than 4/40...think KCP got something around 10/year from the lakers (think that was a little inflated from rich paul, who im pretty sure is his agent)...

pj should be looking at somewhere between 15-20 a year...
    You’re probably right. I looked at his numbers and guys better than him make less, but so do guys worse than him. He’s not particularly efficient for a big, but he’s young with an upside so he’ll probably make more. Shoots the 3 decent on low volume. Is he a plus defender?

I watch Charlotte almost never. I might click for a minute to watch Lamelo after he started to come on, but I remember this kid more from being a sought after recruit.

Load Metric

Golden State +1050 is somewhat appealing with videos like this. Can Klay stay injury-free now though is the big question?

They have 3 years left with Steph/Klay/Green, I would take +1050 each year....

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post

Golden State +1050 is somewhat appealing with videos like this. Can Klay stay injury-free now though is the big question?

They have 3 years left with Steph/Klay/Green, I would take +1050 each year....
    He'll turn 32 next season. Take just the achilles from last year, and look at similar comps recently. Kobe on the high end, Wes Matthews on low end. Both those guys lost a fair amount of foot speed and were much less explosive.

Add in a torn ACL right before it, and I am not optimistic. I'm thinking best case he is 75% of the player he was, which is still a good player.

Worst case he transitions into a better Wes Matthews after the achilles. Shoot threes, play smart off-the-ball D (problem there is they already hide Curry away from the ball), but still a limited player.

Comments

Elmo: He won’t be the same indeed…

Load Metric
    Also, all these off-season NBA work-out videos are just silly. Find the best 30 second clip and upload.

Case-in-point, every Ben Simmons video the last 3 years showing him shooting threes in an empty gym.

Thread Information