Lol Russ to Lakers. Can't make that up

Gold
    Load Metric
    Seems like a decent return for wizards

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Weird fit. My understanding is the advanced stats indicate Russ is useless playing off the ball. So I guess Lebron is a power forward now?

Also, losing KCP is a bigger deal than it might seem, because there really ain’t anyone on the roster to fill that role, and I can’t imagine they are going to have the $$ to get anyone good to fill the void.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Weird fit. My understanding is the advanced stats indicate Russ is useless playing off the ball. So I guess Lebron is a power forward now?

Also, losing KCP is a bigger deal than it might seem, because there really ain’t anyone on the roster to fill that role, and I can’t imagine they are going to have the $$ to get anyone good to fill the void.
    The thing is Russ has never molded his game to play around anyone. He just chucks and is Russ. Nothing ever seems to phase him. Even difficult guys have always fell in line when playing with Lebron. They play within themselves. He’s joining two top 5-10 guys who are incredibly efficient. It’s going to be an incredible experiment.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

The thing is Russ has never molded his game to play around anyone. He just chucks and is Russ. Nothing ever seems to phase him. Even difficult guys have always fell in line when playing with Lebron. They play within themselves. He’s joining two top 5-10 guys who are incredibly efficient. It’s going to be an incredible experiment.
    I disagree, Russ has molded himself many times. KD won MVP playing with Russ and had his best years with him, Paul George played with Russ one year and it was the best year of PG13s career. Then Russ went and played with Harden and Harden averaged like 35 a game. Last year Beal had his best year ever playing with Russ. I think people are gonna be surprised how well Russ fits in and excepts the third option role.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarefish View Post

I disagree, Russ has molded himself many times. KD won MVP playing with Russ and had his best years with him, Paul George played with Russ one year and it was the best year of PG13s career. Then Russ went and played with Harden and Harden averaged like 35 a game. Last year Beal had his best year ever playing with Russ. I think people are gonna be surprised how well Russ fits in and excepts the third option role.
    I like him, and I know you’ve always loved him. He just shoots too much for a bad shooter. And he is a bad shooter. The Lakers need spacing, and Russell isn’t someone who helps spacing. They have no issue with rebounding or passing having elite guys. His intangibles mean less on Lakers than teams that need his intangibles. It seems a really forced fit to me by a team that knows they have to make a move.

Platinum
    Load Metric

I like him, and I know you’ve always loved him. He just shoots too much for a bad shooter. And he is a bad shooter. The Lakers need spacing, and Russell isn’t someone who helps spacing. They have no issue with rebounding or passing having elite guys. His intangibles mean less on Lakers than teams that need his intangibles. It seems a really forced fit to me by a team that knows they have to make a move.
    They’ll surround those 3 players with shooters signing on for the vet minimum, guys like Kevin Love. Russ shoots a lot when he feels like he has to score, he won’t feel like that in LA. Go look at his stats in Houston when he figured out how to play with Harden. For the last 2 months of the season before he got hurt and got Covid, he averaged something like 32,9,8 with a 54% FG percentage playing second fiddle to Harden. He completely quit taking 3s. Like I said before, people will be surprised how willing he accepts the 3rd option role.

Load Metric
    Love has two years left and $60 million. No one wants that contract, so he’s a buyout possibility, but with two years left, not sure they will. Pretty rare to buyout guy with that much left unless he’s willing to leave $20 million on the table. Plus he can’t stay healthy for two weeks after a six month calf injury rehab. Also is supposedly really happy living in NYC.

Westbrook makes over $91 million next two years. That’s an astounding number. I don’t know every cap maneuver possible. but I can’t imagine they have a nickel to buy shooting. Even over the hill shooters get $8 million now. I can’t imagine they have room to buy any.

The cap is $112 million next year. Those 3 guys make over $120 million next year. More the next.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Love has two years left and $60 million. No one wants that contract, so he’s a buyout possibility, but with two years left, not sure they will. Pretty rare to buyout guy with that much left unless he’s willing to leave $20 million on the table. Plus he can’t stay healthy for two weeks after a six month calf injury rehab. Also is supposedly really happy living in NYC.

Westbrook makes over $91 million next two years. That’s an astounding number. I don’t know every cap maneuver possible. but I can’t imagine they have a nickel to buy shooting. Even over the hill shooters get $8 million now. I can’t imagine they have room to buy any.

The cap is $112 million next year. Those 3 guys make over $120 million next year. More the next.
    Shooters will go play with them for the vet min. All they have to do is stand in the corner and shoot wide open 3s. Lots of guys can do that.

Load Metric

Shooters will go play with them for the vet min. All they have to do is stand in the corner and shoot wide open 3s. Lots of guys can do that.
    Why didn’t they last few years? This isn’t prime Lebron when guys were running to play with him. I assumed LA would be a draw, but they haven’t exactly been lining up. They just traded a much better shooter than they can expect to sign in KCP. He shot 41% from 3 last year. Time will tell. It’s just not a natural fit. It’s a Hail Mary. He brings energy during regular season. He’s not the guy you want in the post season. Him as clear 3rd option is way different than second option who still shot 20 times most nights.

We will have to agree to disagree here. He was one of my favorite players back when, but he’s a known quantity, and it strikes me as bad and hugely expensive fit. They didn’t have any real options as no one was trading them someone good for those guys, so it’s not that it’s a horrible Hail Mary, but I’ll be shocked if it works.

Platinum
    Load Metric

Why didn’t they last few years? This isn’t prime Lebron when guys were running to play with him. I assumed LA would be a draw, but they haven’t exactly been lining up. They just traded a much better shooter than they can expect to sign in KCP. He shot 41% from 3 last year. Time will tell. It’s just not a natural fit. It’s a Hail Mary. He brings energy during regular season. He’s not the guy you want in the post season. Him as clear 3rd option is way different than second option who still shot 20 times most nights.

We will have to agree to disagree here. He was one of my favorite players back when, but he’s a known quantity, and it strikes me as bad and hugely expensive fit. They didn’t have any real options as no one was trading them someone good for those guys, so it’s not that it’s a horrible Hail Mary, but I’ll be shocked if it works.
    In 2020 Danny Green went there because they got Lebron and they won the chip. Other primary 3 point shooter was KCP who was a free agent but resigned (I believe that was in 2019). Can’t say for sure he resigned because of Lebron but come on.

They’ll be able to find similar guys IMO.

Load Metric
    Green went there for $15 million and to play with LeBron. He wasn’t some vet min. He made $15 million again the next year in Philly. It wasn’t like he said cut me and I’ll take the vet min.

That’s way beyond their means now. I looked through all available shooters who could get bought out. I’m not seeing any Mike Miller or James Johnson or JR Smith types out there. Most of the guys available who can shoot are Duncan Robinson types who are expected to make $15-20 million. This is a league Joe Harris makes $19 million. There won’t be a shooter on the team as good as KCP was. Being capped out, It’s not like they can move their one remaining asset in THT for anything as you’d have to match salaries and he makes so little money.

The Heat and Cavs got lucky that there were a few guys the right age who had already made 50+ million and were well past 30 like Miler, Johnson, and Korver. I don’t see a single guy who fits that role right now unless JJ Reddick, who publicly got into a huge fight because Griffin promised to send him specifically to northeast to be by his family was deceptive, decides to ring chase on opposite coast. He’s right age, but wants to be in northeast and almost retired over it when he was still making $9 million at 36. It’s just different than even 5 and 10 years ago when Cavs and Heat did it. They might have to find whatever bar JR Smith is in atm and bring him back again.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Green went there for $15 million and to play with LeBron. He wasn’t some vet min. He made $15 million again the next year in Philly. It wasn’t like he said cut me and I’ll take the vet min.

That’s way beyond their means now. I looked through all available shooters who could get bought out. I’m not seeing any Mike Miller or James Johnson or JR Smith types out there. Most of the guys available who can shoot are Duncan Robinson types who are expected to make $15-20 million. This is a league Joe Harris makes $19 million. There won’t be a shooter on the team as good as KCP was. Being capped out, It’s not like they can move their one remaining asset in THT for anything as you’d have to match salaries and he makes so little money.

The Heat and Cavs got lucky that there were a few guys the right age who had already made 50+ million and were well past 30 like Miler, Johnson, and Korver. I don’t see a single guy who fits that role right now unless JJ Reddick, who publicly got into a huge fight because Griffin promised to send him specifically to northeast to be by his family was deceptive. He’s right age, but wants to be in northeast and almost retired over it when he was still making $9 million at 36. It’s just different than even 5 and 10 years ago when Cavs and Heat did it. They might have to find whatever bar JR Smith is in atm and bring him back again.
    They picked up Ben Mclemore at the end of last season, he’s not as good as KCP but he’s very similar offensively. He played with Russ for that year in Houston and averaged 10ppg and shot 40% from 3.

Also, let’s not forget, AD got hurt last year and again during that Suns series. Healthy AD and I think they would have beaten the Suns. Lots of people shitting on AD and forgetting how good he is. I think he’s hearing the chatter and will come back with something to prove.

If they didn’t make the move, what was their other option? Lebron started looking old last year, he can’t be the primary playmaker for the entire game anymore. Russ takes pressure off so Lebron will be fresh in the 4th.

Load Metric
    AD is great when healthy. He’s often not. Lebron is aging. Westbrook is lowest IQ great player I’ve ever seen.

It isn’t similar to former big 3’s and just add vet shooters teams with guys in their prime. It could work out if everyone js healthy and AD and LeBron are playing elite and Westbrook fills role, but they’ll have little shooting and depth. It’s hard to see. They’ll need other teams to get hurt. Nets would beat them in 5 if healthy.

I really hope Russ is happy to be home and plays an entire solid year happy with greatly reduced role and is efficient once for an entire year. He played with perfect off ball shooter last year, and it still lead to under .500 and horrible playoffs. He had his moments, but it ended as it always ends with him.

In his last 8 playoff seasons, he’s shot under 45% every year, under 40 most, under 30% from 3. He’s just been horribly inefficient when it matters most. The Lakers will need LeBron and AD to be at top of their game and him to not kill them. If he performs well in playoffs, it will be a first in close to a decade.

Load Metric
    Not too crazy of a draft. Congrats BCR, ya got your boy.

I think the Hawks, again, get a steal with a lower pick with Jalen Johnson. If he hadn't Biles'd out on Duke last year he would have been top 10. Keon Johnson right after that to the clips seemed like a great pick also.

Gold
    Load Metric

In 2020 Danny Green went there because they got Lebron and they won the chip. Other primary 3 point shooter was KCP who was a free agent but resigned (I believe that was in 2019). Can’t say for sure he resigned because of Lebron but come on.

KCP and Danny Green were not minimum off the scrap heap guys. The Lakers are going to have to fill their roster with Ben McLemore level players, who are going to have to play big minutes, and that is a problem. Who are these vets who can still play who are going to sign at the minimum? I guess they are going to have to wait until February when guys who can still play get bought out and try to sign them to the min.

Also, KCP is Klutch client. He definitely got payed because of Lebron. He was overpaid, but still going to be hard to replace.

Silver
    Load Metric

KCP and Danny Green were not minimum off the scrap heap guys. The Lakers are going to have to fill their roster with Ben McLemore level players, who are going to have to play big minutes, and that is a problem. Who are these vets who can still play who are going to sign at the minimum? I guess they are going to have to wait until February when guys who can still play get bought out and try to sign them to the min.

Also, KCP is Klutch client. He definitely got payed because of Lebron. He was overpaid, but still going to be hard to replace.
    They still have a sign and trade with Schroder

Platinum
    Load Metric
    have to echo the sentiments about shooters...dead eye shooters like jj reddick and joe harris are making 15-20 a year...

sure you can get vet minimum guys like mclemore to come and fill out your roster as a shooter...and he may very well make 6 threes in game 52 of the regular season against sacramento, but will he still do that in game 6 of the western semis against denver when he's never been in a pressure like that in his pro career before? tough to want to trust that...

they maaaaaaaaaaaaaaay get lucky that a FA guy like reddick would take a milly to play with lebron to chase a ring, but awful tough to try to build out the rest of a team hoping for something like that...

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I haven't looked into it much but I was thinking along the lines of Nick Batum or Trevor Ariza, not sure what Jeff Green's contract looks like but those sort of guys.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I haven't looked into it much but I was thinking along the lines of Nick Batum or Trevor Ariza, not sure what Jeff Green's contract looks like but those sort of guys.
    yeah those guys would be better options, but the question is obviously would they play for that little?

im sure there could be a wink-wink-nudge-nudge under the table deal if they really wanted to go that far...

Thread Information