Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** NBA 2020-21 Thread

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalam View Post

Do you think that is a good trade for Philly? Having CJ at the end of tight games could theoretically be a plus, as he wouldn't be scared of the moment like everyone else on Philly except Embiid, but does he offer enough for all the rest of the time?
    I think it is about as close to a perfect trade as possible now. They each bring their own faults with them, but their positives are what each team desperately needs. Now, in normal times, Simmons would be worth more, as his lack of shooting can hypothetically be fixed. You can try to make CJ better on D, but you can't teach size.

After this series though, I think 1 for 1 makes sense, as Simmons perceived value is probably lower than it should be. If I'm the blazers though, I'd have no issue throwing in a pick as well.

Imagine the PnR game with Dame and Simmons. Think Steph and Draymond.
    Yeah I’d love to see him in Portland. I hope he doesn’t get traded to some Golden State or similar. If Klay came back healthy and you ran him as some passing center Draymond type, that would be frightening. I can’t think why Morey would want Draymond and Wiggins or whatever it would take to match, they’d have to add wiseman and a bunch of picks, but golden state has to be thinking of ways to maximize that last bit of Curry/Klay prime. There were a lot of rumors they were offering that 2 pick last year for him and sixers declined.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

I think it is about as close to a perfect trade as possible now. They each bring their own faults with them, but their positives are what each team desperately needs. Now, in normal times, Simmons would be worth more, as his lack of shooting can hypothetically be fixed. You can try to make CJ better on D, but you can't teach size.

After this series though, I think 1 for 1 makes sense, as Simmons perceived value is probably lower than it should be. If I'm the blazers though, I'd have no issue throwing in a pick as well.

Imagine the PnR game with Dame and Simmons. Think Steph and Draymond.
    Yeah I’d love to see him in Portland. I hope he doesn’t get traded to some Golden State or similar. If Klay came back healthy and you ran him as some passing center Draymond type, that would be frightening. I can’t think why Morey would want Draymond and Wiggins or whatever it would take to match, they’d have to add wiseman and a bunch of picks, but golden state has to be thinking of ways to maximize that last bit of Curry/Klay prime. There were a lot of rumors they were offering that 2 pick last year for him and sixers declined.
    Smart teams will be after Simmons and will win on any trade package given his value is in the toilet right now.

Philly has done an awful job with team building and has a long list of weird outcomes - trading up for Fultz (and Fultz lol), Butler saying fuck this shit, Simmons never coming close to developing a shot, maxing out Tobias Harris, Embiid never in shape and still launching threes etc.

Embiid's overall health has been miraculous; given how he how started out, the way things have gone have been equivalent to hitting a two outer. If not for that, The Process is one of the most disastrous experiments ever.

Team and city are pure poison.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Yeah if they had stood pat and taken Tatum and had that closer it would have been a success, but now a train wreck.

I have this weird feeling he’ll still be there for start of season even though everyone has him traded today. Morey is super stubborn, and I’m guessing he’ll want him to rack up some fake regular season stats to pump up his value.

I must have seen ten packages talked about, and CJ is the best player under 30 in most. They have to know they are on borrowed time with Embiid. I actually wonder what Embiid’s value is? Counter-intuitive, but the two don’t fit, and I assume Embiid could bring you a bunch of pieces that do fit and has way more value. Fans would burn the city, but I always view him as a guy who could be done any year, and has peak value.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    The lack of serious COVID danger is also why some athletes simply won't take the vaccine. If you're 25, in great shape, and healthy, it's not unreasonable to fear the vaccine more than COVID itself. In fact, I don't even cast judgment upon young people who are refusing the vaccine, as it's actually a reasonable decision to forego it. At my age, not so much.
    Considering the long term effects on the lungs and the heart and other organs that regular people and athletes both often experience after covid, I dare say it IS unreasonable to fear the vaccine more than the disease, for any healthy person. While everyone is talking about Jayson Tatum, it must be pointed out he hasn;t been normal since Covid, and is currently still on an inhaler, and might be for the long term future. THAT shit should scare athletes more than any vaccine.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    The lack of serious COVID danger is also why some athletes simply won't take the vaccine. If you're 25, in great shape, and healthy, it's not unreasonable to fear the vaccine more than COVID itself. In fact, I don't even cast judgment upon young people who are refusing the vaccine, as it's actually a reasonable decision to forego it. At my age, not so much.
    Considering the long term effects on the lungs and the heart and other organs that regular people and athletes both often experience after covid, I dare say it IS unreasonable to fear the vaccine more than the disease, for any healthy person. While everyone is talking about Jayson Tatum, it must be pointed out he hasn;t been normal since Covid, and is currently still on an inhaler, and might be for the long term future. THAT shit should scare athletes more than any vaccine.

I agree with Druff anyone under 25 in good shape shouldn't worry much about Covid.

But they should worry even less about taking the vaccine.

Load Metric
    Cavs caught a break moving up to 3. They really need to get rid of Love and one of these guards, preferably Sexton as I think Garland is a little higher ceiling and the top prospects likely to be available at 3 seem like guards.

I view Love as a negative contract. I wonder if there is any value in that package and what it might be? Be nice if the Sixers wanted the scoring and thought Embiid could make up for their poor defense.

Might be worth it just to get off Love. Going to be interesting dilemma if Green goes 2 and Mobley is clear third pick. I didn’t see much of any of these guys other than Cade, but everything I see says it’s Cade and Mobley/Green are 2/3 in some order. I wish that Kuminga could shoot. We need SF worse than anything.. Allen is a nice young player poised to get paid at C.
    Last edited by BCR; 06-22-2021 at 05:44 PM.

Load Metric
    Sidedish tuning up for payday

Name:  58C14D70-21D9-46D3-9B35-E501DEFBB29D.jpeg
Views: 221
Size:  54.1 KB

Comments

thesidedish: THE SUNS ARE FKN GOD

simpdog: Suns in 4 guy

Load Metric
    That pass was sublime.

Ugly game that was there for the taking but the Clips never grabbed on. Paul George, tough..
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    A Nike executive as PBO and Jason Kidd? Idk man. The Nike guy is Luka’s boy, and maybe in the all friends league, a good choice where connections might mean more than anything, but Kidd? That’s a downgrade from Carlisle, plus they just had some hostile to women issue there and Kidd has a lot of drama in his past. The wife shit is a long time ago, but he’s got all kinds of drama outside that, and a questionable choice to bring into a situation that sounds already chaotic.

I would be shocked if Bob is still around, and if he is, likes his job. Ex player playmaker seems worst ear for analytics guy. They’re generally all gut feel and old school bullshit. They’ll be trying to work it into the post for a good 2 point turnaround from Zinger.

Feels like Cuban might be getting pushed around by the various camps and stuck placating a young primadonna.

Load Metric
    My take here is that if Bob is still there, he is effectively the GM. This Nike dude might just be there to cross the t's and dot the i's. Probably was already happening with Nelson.

Load Metric
    My take here is that if Bob is still there, he is effectively the GM.
    Yeah, if Bob is still there , the next two guys are coming on knowing Bob is still there, and the point was likely explicitly made during the hiring process.

Load Metric
    I'm almost positive I remember Haralabos really going hard at Kidd's ineptitude as a coach on a BS pod.

Coaches get better (see Monty Williams and Ty Lue) but Kidd was basically the worst in the league and the Bucks made a huge leap once he left.

Doesn't seem worth it, especially taking on a convicted domestic abuser after their recent issues with workplace culture.

Luka's got them by the balls. Expect Bob to be gone soon.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    My take here is that if Bob is still there, he is effectively the GM.
    Yeah, if Bob is still there , the next two guys are coming on knowing Bob is still there, and the point was likely explicitly made during the hiring process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    I'm almost positive I remember Haralabos really going hard at Kidd's ineptitude as a coach on a BS pod.

Coaches get better (see Monty Williams and Ty Lue) but Kidd was basically the worst in the league and the Bucks made a huge leap once he left.

Doesn't seem worth it, especially taking on a convicted domestic abuser after their recent issues with workplace culture.

Luka's got them by the balls. Expect Bob to be gone soon.
    It’s funny how these are kind of opposite opinions yet one has to be true, and I agree with both. Either Cuban has his back fully and the guys walking in know exactly what’s up, or it would seem he’s toast.

I just struggle to imagine Kidd, with his ego and success, having the analytics nerd dictate rotations to him. Everything that a really sharp analytics guy contributes is really hands on rotation decisions and where you want guys shooting and then some draft and signing input about what types of guys work well together. It’s just hard to be the analytics guru and be hands off unless you’re just writing reports and making recommendations that can be ignored, but he was more than that previously if they considered him the shadow GM and anything about that was accurate.

Kidd has to be worth $100 million still I imagine.

I hope he’s open to it, as it will provide a more interesting situation where a talented kid is utilized optimally, but I’d be surprised given how horrible he was previously. He had Giannis when he was emerging and would win like 45 games. They instantly became a 60 win team just by ditching him.

Guys like Lue and Williams were role players and generally well-liked good locker room guys as far as I can recall. I recall Lue much more, but Williams was like a 6ppg guy. They were never the alpha dog like Kidd where I knew who he was while in high school with him being considered the top player in the country. That dude changes far less frequently than some adaptable role player ime. There really haven’t been many superstar players who were great coaches, particularly in the modern era after they made a lot of money. Who is even the best guy who was a star after the 1970s? Bird?

We will see how badly Kidd wanted back in the league, and whether Haralabob is laying low or not even really on staff any more. It feels polarized to he’s either actually the defacto GM now and has a greater role, or a greatly diminished or non-existent role. I hope it’s the first but have a feeling it’s the latter. If Cuban really had his back and was all in on doing things the smart way, I don’t think we have him hiring Jason Kidd.

Load Metric
    What do you Blazers guys think about Chauncey hire? Was a cerebral player. Is so inexperienced as a coach, I guess it’s hard to have much of an opinion. Kind of a strange move when you need to win soon. I assume he had Dame’s blessing. As an announcer, I thought he was decent. Certainly not annoying guy. Was generally low key.

Made me wonder with Lue looking so much better than previous stints, if the word around the league was that Chauncey was really the brains. Just strange with all the guys who pay their dues to get a gig that quickly. I saw Kidd and Hammons rumored. Certainly better than Kidd, and idk how the Hammons hire will play out eventually. I’m sure she’s got a great mind to be the first serious contender, but still strikes me as a tough dynamic to be head coach with how important chemistry is

Gold
    Load Metric
    LOL I read the Blazers might hire a woman head coach! Funniest thing

I hope it’s Suns vs Hawks finals

Load Metric
    What do you Blazers guys think about Chauncey hire? Was a cerebral player. Is so inexperienced as a coach, I guess it’s hard to have much of an opinion. Kind of a strange move when you need to win soon. I assume he had Dame’s blessing. As an announcer, I thought he was decent. Certainly not annoying guy. Was generally low key.

Made me wonder with Lue looking so much better than previous stints, if the word around the league was that Chauncey was really the brains. Just strange with all the guys who pay their dues to get a gig that quickly. I saw Kidd and Hammons rumored. Certainly better than Kidd, and idk how the Hammons hire will play out eventually. I’m sure she’s got a great mind to be the first serious contender, but still strikes me as a tough dynamic to be head coach with how important chemistry is
    The rape settlement stuff is not playing well locally.

Dame probably just saving face but a chance this blows up.

I think Billups would probably be a good fit but the roster issues remain. Olshey had more years on his contract but pretty miraculous he's still around.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

Dame probably just saving face but a chance this blows up.

I think Billups would probably be a good fit but the roster issues remain. Olshey had more years on his contract but pretty miraculous he's still around.
    Well, considering the "owner" is now a trust of the dead owner, led by his widow who probably doesn't give a shit....Olshey is probably about as safe as a GM could be.

Billups I'm fine with. Glad it wasn't another retread hire.

Load Metric
    So I'm reading The Ringers updated mock draft, and damn they must really love Cunningham based on their player comps. For him they say:

"Supersized Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Shorter Ben Simmons With a Jumper"

I mean, that is describing better-than-a-superstar. If you had to add a third comp to that, what would it be? Seems like "LeBron James" is what those first two are describing.

Thread Information