Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** NBA 2020-21 Thread

Load Metric
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    At this point, I wonder if soccer now uses NBA references to mock flopping.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Time to rip up those Lakers futures tickets.

Lebron out "indefinitely" with a high ankle injury: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...t-ankle-injury

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Lakers a 10.5 point dog tonight to Phoenix.

Anyone thought they'd see the Lakers as a double-digit dog this year to a mediocre team? And they may fail to cover it.

The problem is that this is a mediocre Lakers team without Davis, and a terrible team without Davis and Lebron on the floor.

Load Metric
    The NBA trade deadline is so strange. Javale nets Cavs two second rounders and Drummond is completely worthless because of $ and inability to match. First guy I can ever recall that is a buyout at that age with multiple All Star appearances. an ability to really help you if you have specific need, and healthy. A testament to how much the game has changed in even his brief career.

I don’t care where he goes as long as it’s not the Nets. Cavs are so far away that I wanted to see him traded rather than bought out not for some shitty pick, but just to avoid that possibility. Doesn’t seem to be trending that way from rumors.

I just hate those 3 guys so much, don’t want them to be the beneficiary. Literally anyone but the Nets and I’ll wish him well despite being one of the lowest basketball IQ guys in the league. He’s not a game changer for anyone but them.

I hate the whole buyout market in general and hope they address it in the future. My Cavs were one of the rare small market beneficiaries of it back with Lebron, but it’s just another big market advantage and they need to make it like the MLB waiver wire imo where lesser teams have to take a pass first.

You can’t have guys like Harden forcing themselves out of contracts with years left and then being able to add a 27 year old willing to play for pennies for a few months. No one who isn’t a contender would claim a guy like that, but teams at bottom of playoff rung would, and that would improve playoffs rather than skewing it further to the rich getting richer.

Lowry not being traded really made it anti-climactic trade deadline. Once again, really unique spot where he was the only guy who is a true difference maker, yet the only realistic suitors were the same teams who could simply sign him next year.

Time will tell, but I think the Raptors should have taken what they could get and lowered their expectations quite a bit. Now it seems you have to pay him rather than have another guy walk for nothing, yet paying him just puts you on the treadmill. That Siakam contract got bad in a hurry. If I was Raptors fan, as great as Lowry had been, I’d be looking to blow it up, and this is going to push it all back a few years. He really plays beautiful basketball, and I was looking forward to seeing him in a better spot.

I’m curious how our resident Blazers fans like the trade they made? Powell has been late bloomer, but certainly an upgrade atm over Trent. I haven’t seen enough of Trent to form a strong opinion other than promising straight 3 and D role player. On a younger team, I’d much prefer Trent Jr, but not on Blazers.

Lillard has, imo, been a top 4 MVP guy all year, and he’s been unreal clutch when I turn them on and catch the end of a close game, so I’m glad he’s getting some help with another scorer and Powell being a little older is irrelevant for their core with Lillard. Trent seems like he will make close to Powell money next year anyway, so not much difference there. Don’t know what they plan on doing once CJ returns next year? Redundant, but when a guy has been such a loyal soldier like Dame, you have to do what you can to give him a fighting chance and what to pay Trent was going to be a quandary anyway.

I think Rondo is a sneaky good pickup for Clippers. Playoff Rondo seems to be exactly what they lack given they have no assets or cap. He’s basically the opposite of Lou Williams who is ass in post season.

Obviously Denver and Miami made very good pickups. I think that’s the best place Gordon could land in the entire league with Jokic. I have found AG one of the stranger players for a long time, but Jokic’s passing strikes me as a perfect fit to take advantage of what he does well.

Olynyk is weird, and more useful than he appears, but Heat just hoping Oladipo can channel 2018 and they can get hot again at right time.

Orlando got pretty decent return on 3 guys who can’t seem to get it together on the same team. I don’t know what to make of any of them. Vuc to Bulls was surprising. He’s the most established of the 3, but idk why the Bulls wanted to part with 2 first round picks and Carter when Vuc doesn’t put them anywhere close? I don’t see any plan there? Still will be a first round exit at best team. Most surprising trade imo as it makes no sense for long term.

Comments

Dan Druff: nice writeup
    Last edited by BCR; 03-25-2021 at 06:00 PM.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    The NBA trade deadline is so strange. Javale nets Cavs two second rounders and Drummond is completely worthless because of $ and inability to match. First guy I can ever recall that is a buyout at that age with multiple All Star appearances. an ability to really help you if you have specific need, and healthy. A testament to how much the game has changed in even his brief career.

I don’t care where he goes as long as it’s not the Nets. Cavs are so far away that I wanted to see him traded rather than bought out not for some shitty pick, but just to avoid that possibility. Doesn’t seem to be trending that way from rumors.

I just hate those 3 guys so much, don’t want them to be the beneficiary. Literally anyone but the Nets and I’ll wish him well despite being one of the lowest basketball IQ guys in the league. He’s not a game changer for anyone but them.

I hate the whole buyout market in general and hope they address it in the future. My Cavs were one of the rare small market beneficiaries of it back with Lebron, but it’s just another big market advantage and they need to make it like the MLB waiver wire imo where lesser teams have to take a pass first.

You can’t have guys like Harden forcing themselves out of contracts with years left and then being able to add a 27 year old willing to play for pennies for a few months. No one who isn’t a contender would claim a guy like that, but teams at bottom of playoff rung would, and that would improve playoffs rather than skewing it further to the rich getting richer.

Lowry not being traded really made it anti-climactic trade deadline. Once again, really unique spot where he was the only guy who is a true difference maker, yet the only realistic suitors were the same teams who could simply sign him next year.

Time will tell, but I think the Raptors should have taken what they could get and lowered their expectations quite a bit. Now it seems you have to pay him rather than have another guy walk for nothing, yet paying him just puts you on the treadmill. That Siakam contract got bad in a hurry. If I was Raptors fan, as great as Lowry had been, I’d be looking to blow it up, and this is going to push it all back a few years. He really plays beautiful basketball, and I was looking forward to seeing him in a better spot.

I’m curious how our resident Blazers fans like the trade they made? Powell has been late bloomer, but certainly an upgrade atm over Trent. I haven’t seen enough of Trent to form a strong opinion other than promising straight 3 and D role player. On a younger team, I’d much prefer Trent Jr, but not on Blazers.

Lillard has, imo, been a top 4 MVP guy all year, and he’s been unreal clutch when I turn them on and catch the end of a close game, so I’m glad he’s getting some help with another scorer and Powell being a little older is irrelevant for their core with Lillard. Trent seems like he will make close to Powell money next year anyway, so not much difference there. Don’t know what they plan on doing once CJ returns next year? Redundant, but when a guy has been such a loyal soldier like Dame, you have to do what you can to give him a fighting chance and what to pay Trent was going to be a quandary anyway.

I think Rondo is a sneaky good pickup for Clippers. Playoff Rondo seems to be exactly what they lack given they have no assets or cap. He’s basically the opposite of Lou Williams who is ass in post season.

Obviously Denver and Miami made very good pickups. I think that’s the best place Gordon could land in the entire league with Jokic. I have found AG one of the stranger players for a long time, but Jokic’s passing strikes me as a perfect fit to take advantage of what he does well.

Olynyk is weird, and more useful than he appears, but Heat just hoping Oladipo can channel 2018 and they can get hot again at right time.

Orlando got pretty decent return on 3 guys who can’t seem to get it together on the same team. I don’t know what to make of any of them. Vuc to Bulls was surprising. He’s the most established of the 3, but idk why the Bulls wanted to part with 2 first round picks and Carter when Vuc doesn’t put them anywhere close? I don’t see any plan there? Still will be a first round exit at best team. Most surprising trade imo as it makes no sense for long term.
    Trent isn't a good defender. And he isn't very consistent 3 shooter. Seems very feast or famine. He'll go 6-7 from 3 one game and then suck the next 3. I don't watch much Raptors, but Powell is kinda short I remember. I assume they are bringing him in to play crunch time?? Powell, Dame and McCollum on the court at the end of games (With Covington and Nurkic I assume) seems like a very short backcourt, so not sure how that is going to work.

I think Bulls just want to make the playoffs and go from there. Bulls aren't bad enough to get a top 1-3 pick anyways, so unlikely they are going to get a transformational player in the draft anyways. At some point you have to decide to win some games and build a culture that a FA wants to go to.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Nice analysis, BCR.

I agree with you about Lowry. I think the Raptors are living in the past. Where are they really going with this? Seems like they're living in denial that they can somehow build back around him and make themselves into a contender, maybe shock everyone like they did once they had Kawhi. But it just seems like a pipe dream.

Always been a big Lillard fan. He doesn't get enough credit because he isn't in a major city, and because Portland hasn't been quite good enough to really be a force at any point. The question is whether getting Powell was the right move, since the Blazers honestly needed defense, not more offense. The defense is pretty awful, and while Powell isn't a horrible defender, he's not a good one either, and he's worse defensively than Trent. I really do hope Lillard gets a title one day. He deserves it.

Load Metric

Trent Jr. was a stud in the bubble and showed lots of promise with increased minutes in McCollum absence. Also has some dog in him which Portland lacks aside from Dame. I'll miss him for sure, and think it was a savvy move from Masai as he falls more in line with the timeline of their core and will cost less than Norm Powell. Like.it better for Toronto.

Powell is a good player and a short term upgrade for a team that has next to no chance at making the finals, which I'm only qualifying because they already made a WCF with the same core and because Dame is God.

Blazers should have flipped CJ McCollum a year or two ago to improve defensively and fired their coach. Stotts is the second longest tenured coach (behind Pop) despite consistently having bad defensive teams, currently 29th.

Smart teams make moves like this, but Portland is a small market with the best player in franchise history in his prime. No time for a rebuild now. I'm fine watching a good to really good team through Lillard's prime.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalam View Post

Trent isn't a good defender. And he isn't very consistent 3 shooter. Seems very feast or famine. He'll go 6-7 from 3 one game and then suck the next 3. I don't watch much Raptors, but Powell is kinda short I remember. I assume they are bringing him in to play crunch time?? Powell, Dame and McCollum on the court at the end of games (With Covington and Nurkic I assume) seems like a very short backcourt, so not sure how that is going to work.

I think Bulls just want to make the playoffs and go from there. Bulls aren't bad enough to get a top 1-3 pick anyways, so unlikely they are going to get a transformational player in the draft anyways. At some point you have to decide to win some games and build a culture that a FA wants to go to.
    I hadn’t watched Portland in a few weeks. I didn’t realize CJ was back. They are going to be potent as fuck on offense. I thought his injury was more serious. Maybe I just assume every time a Blazer gets injured it’s season over with their horrible luck.

Trent was shooting 40% from 3 on over 7 attempts. I’ve heard him called a good defender. I don’t see him enough to have a strong opinion and the team plays defense badly. Pretty sure he’s better than Powell. Powell came from good defensive team, and was a little bit of weak link. Trent is a bigger guy.

Still I kind of like the move. It isn’t like Trent was going to be some defensive stalwart on a team that plays bad team defense. Only great defensive centers or big interior defenders can be that big of a bandaid when rest of team struggles. Not a 6’5 guy.

Might as well try to be insane offensively and hope the Lakers continue to have injury issues and Clippers fall apart. As well as Powell has shot this year, just trade blows with the other western teams who can score and hope Lillard can pull it out down stretch. I kind of wrote them off when CJ got hurt and didn’t watch much, but Lillard kept them alive and in playoffs which is pretty amazing.

They were long shots either way, but Powell makes them more potent and he fits better age wise with rest of team all being like 30. I think he’s like 26.

I know Trent was due to get paid and that would have been a hard call with a team that will have to eventually rebuild in a few years when all these guys get older. He will be moving into prime and be a role player as the rest of the team is on decline.

As far as Bulls. I hate the move. I can’t imagine any free agent wanting to come play with Lavine and a 30 year old Vuc.

Lavine is having a historic offensive season, to a degree I don’t think it’s sustainable, yet he isn’t a good playmaker and they weren’t winning. They were like 2.5 games better than Cleveland who stinks and is a bunch of kids.

Lavinw’s always had a poor assist/to ratio. His team is always way better defensively when he’s on the bench. He’s great at scoring for himself. He doesn’t make anyone better. I think this is absolutely as good as he gets and is likely to fall off a bit and the draft is super deep and they were likely to be a lottery team

I just can’t imagine any scenario where they are anything better than a team that sneaks in and loses first round. If the guys were all 24, yeah that’s a culture change, but when you just traded away two first rounders and a youngish guy who isnt horrible for a guy over 30, I just think it’s a horrible decision. I think great players change the culture, not some 7 or 8 seed with no upside or assets to improve.

Golden State was horrible for 40 years. They pick Curry at 9. Klay at 11. Draymond in second round. That’s area Bulls likely would pick at worst with no luck in flattened draft.

The only thing that really changes culture is hitting a homerun on draft night for everyone outside a few super desirable cities. Chicago hasn’t been that in 20 years for NBA. Even a Boston isn’t anymore for FA’s despite being historic franchise. No superstar is coming to play with Lavine and Vuc. Those guys are borderline all stars at best. They’ll be doing a total rebuild in 3 years.

The top of the draft is obviously best, but with all the foreign players, I’m not trading first round picks for a 30 year old unless I’m close. The dude who won the last two MVPs was picked 16. Jokic favored this year was second rounder. Dudes like Bam were 14. Halliburton looks like he’s going to be special and was 12th. I’m just not trading picks and thinking some superstar wants to come play in the cold weather with Lavine and a Vuc. Isn’t happening.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Trent is a decent defender. Not great, but decent.

Powell is an average defender at best. It's a downgrade for sure, defensively.

So yes, as you said, the question was whether they wanted to just say "fuck defense" and go for an insane offensive squad (similar to Brooklyn), or if they were going to try and shore up the defense for a team that is already pretty good offensively. They went with the former.

On a side note, the Lakers are really horrendous without AD and Lebron. The good news for Portland is that it looks like everyone in the West will be potentially beatable come playoff time.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

Trent Jr. was a stud in the bubble and showed lots of promise with increased minutes in McCollum absence. Also has some dog in him which Portland lacks aside from Dame. I'll miss him for sure, and think it was a savvy move from Masai as he falls more in line with the timeline of their core and will cost less than Norm Powell. Like.it better for Toronto.

Powell is a good player and a short term upgrade for a team that has next to no chance at making the finals, which I'm only qualifying because they already made a WCF with the same core and because Dame is God.

Blazers should have flipped CJ McCollum a year or two ago to improve defensively and fired their coach. Stotts is the second longest tenured coach (behind Pop) despite consistently having bad defensive teams, currently 29th.

Smart teams make moves like this, but Portland is a small market with the best player in franchise history in his prime. No time for a rebuild now. I'm fine watching a good to really good team through Lillard's prime.
    Yeah, they are going to have to catch a lot of breaks. I have saw much more of Powell. He’s been on a heater this year. He lines up with the age of your team a little better. Fuck it, you’re going to need breaks and go outscore everyone either way. Going to be a fun offensive team to watch. I legit thought CJ was out for season. I just noticed tonight he was back.

The west is so sick. Like when I look at Portland, they’d be a legit threat to everyone outside Brooklyn in East. And those games would be 140-135.
    In west, they’ll need a lot of luck.

Load Metric

I’m not surprised he has a lot of dog in him. I was at Ohio State when his dad was playing in high school and then later he was a beast at Ohio University. He was a first rounder. He was way bigger than Jr. His dad is like 4 years younger than me

I recall reading a story about how he ended up at OU, and OSU missed him, and he said his mom was a crackhead who would drive him to the corner to sell crack before school and pick him up. He had a bunch of academic issues and Ohio State probably just took a pass or thought he was trouble and missed out. So not shocking his son would have a little edge.

I didn’t know if he’d be much cheaper. Powell has another year at like $11 million before he gets paid big, so Blazers have a chance to see how he works out . I read Jr turned down 4/53, plus he’s a Klutch client, so I assumed someone would give him 4/80 next year.

Load Metric

I’m not surprised he has a lot of dog in him. I was at Ohio State when his dad was playing in high school and then later he was a beast at Ohio University. He was a first rounder. He was way bigger than Jr. His dad is like 4 years younger than me

I recall reading a story about how he ended up at OU, and OSU missed him, and he said his mom was a crackhead who would drive him to the corner to sell crack before school and pick him up. He had a bunch of academic issues and Ohio State probably just took a pass or thought he was trouble and missed out. So not shocking his son would have a little edge.

I didn’t know if he’d be much cheaper. Powell has another year at like $11 million before he gets paid big, so Blazers have a chance to see how he works out . I read Jr turned down 4/53, plus he’s a Klutch client, so I assumed someone would give him 4/80 next year.
    Powell has a player option, which assuming he keeps his numbers up, he almost certainly won't exercise. So basically an expiring. I'm pretty "meh" on the deal. I would have much preferred to get Gordon. Powell is just a more experienced and polished Trent. Hood is just salary filler at this point, his torn achilles sapped him of all usefulness, so no loss there. Team is better with Simons or Little getting Hood's minutes.

As was said, the west is just once again SOOO deep with talent. Once the Blazers are fully healthy, the only other fully healthy squad that really scares me is the Lakers. At the same time, I would not be surprised to lose to any of the other teams in the first round either. There's 7 pretty damn good teams, almost everyone will be tested right away come playoff time. Everyone talking about the Miami and Boston moves to help their playoff runs, those teams would be 11th and 12th in the west LOL.

Random fun facts about today:

I thought you might mention this BCR, but today is the second time that Portland has traded a Gary Trent to Toronto. Senior was part of the Damon Stoudamire trade.

Every player in the NBA named "Gary" was traded today.
    Last edited by gut; 03-25-2021 at 10:55 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

Powell has a player option, which assuming he keeps his numbers up, he almost certainly won't exercise. So basically an expiring. I'm pretty "meh" on the deal. I would have much preferred to get Gordon. Powell is just a more experienced and polished Trent. Hood is just salary filler at this point, his torn achilles sapped him of all usefulness, so no loss there. Team is better with Simons or Little getting Hood's minutes.

As was said, the west is just once again SOOO deep with talent. Once the Blazers are fully healthy, the only other fully healthy squad that really scares me is the Lakers. At the same time, I would not be surprised to lose to any of the other teams in the first round either. There's 7 pretty damn good teams, almost everyone will be tested right away come playoff time. Everyone talking about the Miami and Boston moves to help their playoff runs, those teams would be 11th and 12th in the west LOL.

I thought you might mention this BCR, but today is the second time that Portland has traded a Gary Trent to Toronto. Senior was part of the Damon Stoudamire trade.

Yes, Aaron Gordon would have been the preferred piece. That was the most lopsided deal for me that jumped off the page, think he could really thrive as a role guy on a good team.

Think that healthy Lakers (and possibly Phoenix) are the only teams I would give Portland little to no chance against, especially healthy Lakers obv.

But also think they could get battered by any West playoff team like they did against the Pelicans in 2016 if another team can lock Lillard the fuck down and CJ is off.

Lillard also looks a step slow to me right now and has been taking lots of shots lately, particularly last night. They need to start winning games comfortably to give him some rest or he will break down like the last two seasons again.

Load Metric

Yes, Aaron Gordon would have been the preferred piece. That was the most lopsided deal for me that jumped off the page, think he could really thrive as a role guy on a good team.

Think that healthy Lakers (and possibly Phoenix) are the only teams I would give Portland little to no chance against, especially healthy Lakers obv.

But also think they could get battered by any West playoff team like they did against the Pelicans in 2016 if another team can lock Lillard the fuck down and CJ is off.

Lillard also looks a step slow to me right now and has been taking lots of shots lately, particularly last night. They need to start winning games comfortably to give him some rest or he will break down like the last two seasons again.
    Damn, you know I’m golfing early and happy hour went on for 14 hours when I do 10k words on the NBA trade deadline like I’m working part time for Zach Lowe. My BAC was probably .20 by time I was firing on the Sacramento Kings. (Great bet btw) and .30 by the time I’m breaking down NBA trades.

Gordon deal was the steal. At least I got that part right. Really interested to see how he fits with Jokic.

Comments

gut: 14 hours ftw

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Drummond to Lakers.

He's definitely an upgrade over washed up Marc Gasol and ineffective Montrezl Harrell, but I just don't see this guy as a winner. Lakers basically came to realize that the entire team around Davis and Lebron sucks, and that they're going to struggle to repeat without some help. This is especially true because both men have had injury issues this year, and may not be 100% (plus the playoff position keeps falling, so they won't have home court as much).

I don't know.. I just don't see a repeat coming here, which is a pretty big fail if you have AD and Lebron together.

Load Metric
    Boston and Golden State both 23-25 going into today. I find it weird that I haven't read anything on a national level questioning their coaching. Maybe I have missed it (I haven't read Lowe since he got put behind the paywall) but it seems to me that both their wunderkind coaches should be losing some of the luster off that shine.

Kerr of course can blame the injuries last year, and could again this year with Klay out again. This year, though, that excuse seems harder to pull off. Klay is/was awesome of course, but Wiggins and Oubre are much better than the G-league level guys they trotted out at the beginning of last year. 23-25 in the west isn't as bad as in the east, but the fact they're behind San Antonio is just egregious, when you look at their current rosters. I also always felt Kerr had a little bit of that Tampa Bay/Jon Gruden thing going. Perfect team, perfect time. Mark Jackson probably could have won those same amount of titles.

Stevens I just have no idea how you can be below .500 in the east with 3 all-stars on the roster. I see Ainge catch a lot of blame, but it sure seems like Stevens has trouble being an adaptable coach. Like he has a system/style he wants to run, regardless of who is players are. I don't follow the east as closely, though, so maybe others can weigh in on this.

Load Metric
    I find Boston way more puzzling that Golden State. I am not a fan of Wiggins or Oubre, even if Wiggins has improved. Tbh, I have never known if Kerr is any good as a coach. Who can? Strangest tenure ever. Took over for shit coach, had a ready to blow up team, then added Durant and anyone could have coached that. Guy has been there for like 7 years and I couldn’t tell you if he is any good?

Like the OKC coach is doing so well that they might have to put him on leave because they can’t sit enough guys to tank. That guy seems to be a miracle worker.

Brad sure seemed good. They are a really strange group. No flow. As Simmons often bitches about, they seem to take turns scoring. Still, the East is horrible and they’re too good to have this record. I don’t know what he’s trying to do with that group? It’s hard to tell what exactly is wrong with them, but they’re losing to some bad teams.

They both have a long rope, particularly Kerr, so I guess time will tell. It seemed impossible a few years ago that Boston would find themselves in this spot. They had one young star, the other actually emerged, had a ton of assets, yet somehow got worse? Makes no sense. I think Stevens is starting to get a little heat. Coming from a small school, it makes you curious if he’s a better overachiever than coach of actual talent.

Load Metric
    It also has to sting for Stevens to look up in the standings and see Charlotte, whose top 2 guys (now with Lamelo out) were people you traded to them. Starting to feel like MJ knew the expiration date on Kemba was coming quickly. Rozier seems to be the better player already.

Load Metric
    It also has to sting for Stevens to look up in the standings and see Charlotte, whose top 2 guys (now with Lamelo out) were people you traded to them. Starting to feel like MJ knew the expiration date on Kemba was coming quickly. Rozier seems to be the better player already.
    Yeah, Kemba fell off a cliff. They’ve had some bad luck with Kemba and Hayward. They ran like God for like 50 years. I guess they were due. I am happy for Rozier. He’s from my town, but mostly lived with grandma as dad was a gangbanger in prison until he was an adult.

Thread Information