Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The left is bad at crime and punishment: New Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascon

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

The left is bad at crime and punishment: New Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascon

This new idiot bleeding heart leftist DA is trying his hardest to turn LA into an even shittier place than it's recently become.

First off, he announced a list of crimes he will not be charging. Not specific situations where he doesn't feel a charge is warranted, but a blanket policy to not charge certain crimes unless unusual circumstances exist.

Among the crimes he promises NOT to prosecute:

Trespassing, disturbing the peace, a minor in possession of alcohol, driving without a license, driving with a suspended license, making criminal threats, drug and paraphernalia possession, being under the influence of a controlled substance, public intoxication, loitering to commit prostitution and resisting arrest.

So you can do any of these things in LA County, and it's a guarantee you won't get prosecuted unless you make a habit of doing this stuff repeatedly. How can this idiot think such a thing is a good idea -- especially to announce it by policy?

Next, he has promised not to prosecute any minors accused of misdemeanors. So if you're 16 or 17 and live in Los Angeles County, have at it. You won't be prosecuted.

Next, adults accused of misdemeanors and low-level felonies will be "referred to community based programs", whatever the fuck that means.

Next, cash bail is going to end. You get to walk right out of jail immediately in most cases, and you have plenty of time to flee the state if you think you might be facing a prison sentence.

Finally, he's ending the death penalty. Doesn't matter if you murder 200 kids and you're on video doing it. No death penalty.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/crimes-las-prosecute

This moron thinks he's some kind of activist who is going to change criminal justice forever. Los Angeles County has become his social experiment.

What an asshole.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Here's his Twitter: https://twitter.com/GeorgeGascon

Read all the smug bullshit about how he's changing the world.

This piece of shit has no compassion for victims, and is the definition of a touchy-feely liberal who thinks that all criminals are good souls who just need to be understood and reformed.

How does this guy become DA in one of the biggest counties in the US?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    The first time someone is murdered by someone who should have been in jail, this numb nuts will be roasted.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Oh, and get a load of this one.

Rhett Nelson is a piece of human trash who committed a double murder.

Nelson left his St. George, Utah home last year with a gun, and drove to Los Angeles. First he shot a 30-year-old Russian skateboarder dead. Then he walked into a Jack in the Box, saw a cop there, and shot him in the back of the head. The cop was instantly killed, as well.

There is zero doubt Nelson committed the murders. He has never provided any motive, and just did this at random.

He was charged with murder with special circumstances, carrying a maximum sentence of life without parole.

Gascon, who has long felt life without parole is cruel and unusual punishment, has dropped the "special circumstances" part, making Nelson eligible for parole, even if convicted and sentenced to the maximum!

Gascon's office would not comment on the reason for this.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/las-da-ge...ed-cop-killers

The sister of the murdered cop said, "Completely in shock, I can’t even tell you, my heart just dropped, I couldn’t believe it. He should be there for the families, we are the victims here, not this person who shot him. I don’t understand what his purpose is to let these murderers out of jail, I don’t get it, he’s like the Devil, I don’t understand it."

Seriously, fuck this bleeding heart piece of shit.

The left is really, really, really bad at crime and punishment.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I can't wait until the next time I decide to harass someone in LA County.

I can go to their house, trespass, disturb the peace, threaten to kill them, and when the cops finally come, I can resist arrest if the mood strikes me.

100% guarantee I won't be charged. Thanks, DA Gascon!

Also, fuck traffic laws. I'm going to break them all, and if my license gets suspended, I know I'll never be charged for driving on a suspended license, since DA Gascon said so!

Aren't you Angelenos glad this guy is in charge of crime and punishment in LA County?

Comments

TheXFactor: LOL...Druff is probably the one person that they will make an exception and charge to the fullest extent of the law, to make an example of.

JohnCommode: Todd, please wear a mask while you harass.

Load Metric
    Assuming it will all come to a head and then explode. Pretty soon its going to be like 1987's RoboCop where the officers just walk off the job because they getting smoked out in the streets.

Load Metric
    Druff- no mention or weapons charges? I question all firearms laws stay intact?

Add- NOW is the time to be armed if you live in LA County.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I can't wait until the next time I decide to harass someone in LA County.

I can go to their house, trespass, disturb the peace, threaten to kill them, and when the cops finally come, I can resist arrest if the mood strikes me.

100% guarantee I won't be charged. Thanks, DA Gascon!

Also, fuck traffic laws. I'm going to break them all, and if my license gets suspended, I know I'll never be charged for driving on a suspended license, since DA Gascon said so!

Aren't you Angelenos glad this guy is in charge of crime and punishment in LA County?
    Name:  cyrer.gif
Views: 236
Size:  269.2 KB

Platinum
    Load Metric
    this is more general commentary about california...

druff, how many more large multinational corporations have to move outta california, before politicians have their 'oh fuck' moment? while i doubt this will happen in silicon valley, but i'd have to guess if a couple of the facebooks of the world decided on the 'fuck this high tax bullshit we're moving to texas/nevada/florida' that there'd be a little ball sweat in sacramento because of the rapidly declining tax base...

Load Metric
    There's a recall effort underway to kick him out of office.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/recallgeorgegascon

Load Metric
    Sounds about right.

Looks like a long list of "who the fuck cares" and "sometimes people do stupid shit".

"Trespass – Penal Code § 602(a)-(y)
    a. Exceptions or Factors For Consideration

i. Repeat trespass offenses on the same public or private property over the
    preceding 24 months
    ii. Verifiable, imminent safety risk
    iii. No indicia of substance use disorder and/or mental illness, or homelessness

Disturbing The Peace – Penal Code § 415(1)-(3)

i. Repeat offenses over the preceding 24 months involving substantially
    similar behavior to that charged
    ii. No indicia of substance use disorder and/or mental illness

Driving Without A Valid License – Vehicle Code § 12500(a)-(e)

i. Repeat driving offenses over the preceding 24 months involving
    substantially similar behavior to that charged

Driving On A Suspended License – Vehicle Code § 14601.1(a)

i. Repeat driving offenses over the preceding 24 months involving
    substantially similar behavior to that charged

Criminal Threats – Penal Code § 422

i. Offense related to domestic violence or hate crime
    ii. Repeat threat offenses over the preceding 24 months
    iii. Documented history of threats towards victim
    iv. Possession of a weapon capable of causing bodily injury or death during
    commission of offense
    v. No indicia of substance use disorder and/or mental illness

Drug & Paraphernalia Possession – Health & Safety Code §§ 11350, 11357, 11364, &

Minor in Possession of Alcohol – Business & Professions § 25662(a)

b. Exceptions or Factors For Consideration
    i. None identified

Drinking in Public – Los Angeles County Municipal Code §13.18.010

c. Exceptions or Factors For Consideration
    i. None identified

Under the Influence of Controlled Substance – Health & Safety Code § 11550
    i. None identified

Public Intoxication – Penal Code § 647(f)

i. None identified

Loitering – Penal Code § 647(b),(c), (d), (e)

Loitering To Commit Prostitution – Penal Code § 653.22(a)(1)

i. None identified

Resisting Arrest – Penal Code § 148(a)

ii. The actual use of physical force against a peace officer
    iii. The charge is filed in connection with another offense not enumerated above"

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yeah it's "who the fuck cares" unless you're the victim of shit like this. Then I imagine you'd care.

Would you be cool if you had a sister who was followed home by a stranger at a nightclub, who then went into her backyard and started shouting into her window he's going to rape her? Because none of that would be prosecuted.

And LOL @ not prosecuting resisting arrest. So tough luck on those cops who get attacked when trying to do their job, right? Cops' jobs are hard enough without dealing with assholes resisting. Now people get to resist with zero consequence. Great policy!

It's really, really horrible to have the DA actually state as policy that they won't prosecute certain crimes, especially crimes with victims. It's one thing to have internal guidelines to sometimes not prosecute under certain circumstances. It's a whole different matter to announce that you can commit all kinds of crimes now with no consequence.

Then the non-prosecution of driving with a suspended license, which doesn't seem like a big deal unless you're the one maimed or killed by that driver. There's a reason these people have a suspended license, and a reason they should fear being caught on the road by cops if their license is suspended. This new policy lets them ignore the suspension until something really bad finally happens.

Laws are on the books for a reason -- both as a deterrent and to punishment those who break them. Take away both the deterrent and the punishment, and respect for law breaks down. Minor crimes are still crimes, and often have a real victim.

Doesn't surprise me that our resident Scandinavian leftist approves of these policies, because Scandinavia is also notoriously bad with dealing with crime and punishment. They're just fortunate to have an isolated, mostly homogenous society which hasn't historically had a lot of crime. But once crime gets imported (see Sweden and their surge of Muslim immigrants), they go to pieces.

Load Metric
    Good thread, glad its here, ties in with other topics. Funny and sad how the liberals in power always try to out do each other with laws and changes. Its seems like they all email each other and then try to out do the other while saying- "Hold my beer".

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    this is more general commentary about california...

druff, how many more large multinational corporations have to move outta california, before politicians have their 'oh fuck' moment? while i doubt this will happen in silicon valley, but i'd have to guess if a couple of the facebooks of the world decided on the 'fuck this high tax bullshit we're moving to texas/nevada/florida' that there'd be a little ball sweat in sacramento because of the rapidly declining tax base...
    Unfortunately, the population is so large that a few companies leaving -- even large ones -- doesn't really make anyone in power sweat.

The awful leftist California politicians count on the fact that people won't leave because of the weather, the proximity to all kinds of different terrain/climates, and their longtime roots to the area.

There already is an exodus going on, but it's hard to see because new immigrants continue to flood in from Mexico, plus existing Hispanic families tend to turn over generations quicker, so they're replacing the white people leaving. The bottom line is that any backlash to all of this will have to come from the people finally getting fed up and showing it in the polls. I don't see that happening.

Hopefully this Gascon dummy will at least wake people up to how outrageous this is getting, and there might finally be some action. He's basically legislating on his own through super non-standard policy. If California decriminalized all of this stuff, that would be one thing. It would be a huge mistake, but at least this would have been done through the proper legislative process. Here you have one bleeding heart asshole deciding he's going to rewrite California law to fit with his extreme left values.

Load Metric
    Druff, re: your plan to break laws in Los Angeles

I would suggest you make sure you are breaking them in the unincorporated areas of Los Angeles County. You see, there is the County District Attorney, and then for each of the incorporated cities there is a City Attorney.

The LA County District Attorney handles prosecutions of all felonies in LA County and misdemeanors in the unincorporated areas of the County. The City attorney's for each of the 88 cities within the county will prosecute the misdemeanors done within those cities. So for example, if you commit a misdemeanor while visiting your friend Master Sclair, who lives in the San Fernando Valley part of LA City, you will be busted by LAPD and the city attorney will come after your ass.

You will certainly get sentenced to community labor instead of time in jail, it being first offense and all....see you along the sides of the 405 freeway collecting trash and cleaning up homeless encampments (i am sure CALTRANS has an orange vests your size, but hardhat for you may be a problem).
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 12-15-2020 at 11:02 PM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Yeah it's "who the fuck cares" unless you're the victim of shit like this. Then I imagine you'd care.

Would you be cool if you had a sister who was followed home by a stranger at a nightclub, who then went into her backyard and started shouting into her window he's going to rape her? Because none of that would be prosecuted.

And LOL @ not prosecuting resisting arrest. So tough luck on those cops who get attacked when trying to do their job, right? Cops' jobs are hard enough without dealing with assholes resisting. Now people get to resist with zero consequence. Great policy!

It's really, really horrible to have the DA actually state as policy that they won't prosecute certain crimes, especially crimes with victims. It's one thing to have internal guidelines to sometimes not prosecute under certain circumstances. It's a whole different matter to announce that you can commit all kinds of crimes now with no consequence.

Then the non-prosecution of driving with a suspended license, which doesn't seem like a big deal unless you're the one maimed or killed by that driver. There's a reason these people have a suspended license, and a reason they should fear being caught on the road by cops if their license is suspended. This new policy lets them ignore the suspension until something really bad finally happens.

Laws are on the books for a reason -- both as a deterrent and to punishment those who break them. Take away both the deterrent and the punishment, and respect for law breaks down. Minor crimes are still crimes, and often have a real victim.

Doesn't surprise me that our resident Scandinavian leftist approves of these policies, because Scandinavia is also notoriously bad with dealing with crime and punishment. They're just fortunate to have an isolated, mostly homogenous society which hasn't historically had a lot of crime. But once crime gets imported (see Sweden and their surge of Muslim immigrants), they go to pieces.
    So victim of Drug & Paraphernalia Possession, Minor in Possession of Alcohol, Drinking in Public, Under the Influence of Controlled Substance, Public Intoxication, Loitering and Loitering To Commit Prostitution? Oh the humanity.

Re: Resisting arrest, how about you read the exceptions and then get back to me.

Re: Suspended license, wonder if their initial conviction that cost them their license might have a clause about driving, if that's applicable.

Re: Retarded scenario with the rapist. Sometimes he would walk, just like he would with the current system.

The running theme with all this shit is that a good lawyer will at worst have you punished with a slap in the wrist and a shitty lawyer gets you fucked while wasting taxpayers money.

Also i'm not from Scandinavia.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post

Re: Resisting arrest, how about you read the exceptions and then get back to me.
    Why should resisting arrest not be a crime under all circumstances? Do you not understand how tough a street officer's job is already, having to deal with the worst and most violent part of society on a daily basis? It's absurd that you're arguing for decriminalizing this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmick
    Re: Suspended license, wonder if their initial conviction that cost them their license might have a clause about driving, if that's applicable.
    What? I don't even understand this babble. A suspended license is pretty straighforward. You are deemed unsafe to be behind the wheel. A license can be suspended without a misdemeanor/felony having been committed, by the way. If your driving record itself is poor and full of infractions within a short time, your license will be suspended.

If you say "fuck that" and drive anyway, that should 100% be a prosecutable offense, whether or not you get pulled over before actually hurting someone. The fact that you think this should be shurgged off is mind boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmick
    Re: Retarded scenario with the rapist. Sometimes he would walk, just like he would with the current system.
    It's not a "retarded scenario". Trespassing usually involves someone knowingly going to a private property where they're not allowed, for purposes of either intimidating someone or committing some other crime. Now everyone in LA knows they can do it without consequence.

If you're so confident that trespassers already "sometimes walk" with the current system, why not just leave the current system in place?

The running theme with all this shit is that a good lawyer will at worst have you punished with a slap in the wrist and a shitty lawyer gets you fucked while wasting taxpayers money.
    A good lawyer will get you probation and community service with most of these things, yes. Or sometimes a little time in county jail. But there's still that conviction on your record, which can negatively affect you going forward. That's where the deterrence comes in. You know not to do a lot of this shit because there's life consequences for it. If you know that you can do all of these things and 100% not get charged -- provided you don't keep repeating the same offense over and over -- then that fear of consequence goes away.

Then there's also the refusal to charge minors with misdemeanors, which is just insane, given that some misdemeanors can be fairly harmful to victims, and you're basically giving teenagers full immunity. We're not talking about 10-year-olds here. This also does a disservice to the teens themselves. Sometimes people get in trouble with the law as teenagers, and are basically scared straight by the entire criminal justice process they have to go through. That's out the window now. You commit a crime at 17, you are kicked loose immediately, and you know 100% you're not charged if it's not a felony. Great lesson.

This asshole DA is trying to legislate from his position. If the state of California wants to legislate new criminal policy, there's a process for that. It's not the place for one bleeding heart fool to decide that victims don't matter, and he's going to wipe most of minor crimes off the books.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    By the way, in my area there were organized theft rings targeting local businesses, where teenagers under 18 were recruited to steal merchandise for resale on the black market.

These were well organized and executed, until they were discovered and broken up.

Can you imagine how easy it will be to recruit teens for rings like this if they know there's a 0% they get prosecuted?

For some reason I don't think gimmick would be so cavalier about all of these crimes if they happened to him or someone he loves. It's easy to be a bleeding heart who sees the good in all criminals until one victimizes you.

It has been proven time and time again that removing deterrence for crime (large and small) causes crime to go way up. This isn't rocket science. gimmick wants the maniac on the road to be able to drive on that suspended license, you see. And he wants trespassers and those making criminal threats to avoid prosecution, because I'm sure they're great people just engaged in a simple misunderstanding, right?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The other laughable thing about this DA's plan is that it doesn't take into account the person's overall record.

The "exceptions" to not prosecuting are incredibly narrow -- basically they only prosecute if the identical offense was repeatedly committed by the person over the past 2 years. Otherwise, they walk.

So you can pretty much commit minor crime after minor crime, and never get prosecuted, as long as you don't repeat what you did before. A little trespassing here, a few criminal threats there, a little suspended license driving over there, a little disturbing the peace followed by resisting arrest... all cool, as long as you mix it up a bit.

The suspended license thing is especially hilarious, because it requires "substantially similar behavior" to what got your license suspended in the first place, in order to get charged. So even if I do something really awful to get my license to get suspended, and if I'm caught driving on that suspended license WHILE COMMITTING ANOTHER DANGEROUS ACT, they will only prosecute the dangerous act itself, and not for the suspended license. And if I'm pulled over for something like speeding and have a suspended license, nothing happens at all.

So basically your license being suspended means absolute jack shit now.

It's really like gimmick doesn't understand why minor crimes are on the books in the first place. Fuck the victims. As long as nobody gets killed, let 'em all suffer, right?

He also doesn't understand the purpose of a driver's licensing system, apparently.

Load Metric
    So pleas for emotion and generally assuming the worst scenario that's usually covered by other statutes.

So lets get back to the resisting arrest. Is this, "cops who get attacked when trying to do their job, right? Cops' jobs are hard enough without dealing with assholes resisting. Now people get to resist with zero consequence", a scenario that will be dismissed now? I'll answer it for you since you have hard time admitting ever being wrong. Fuck no. Pretty much only thing that's different now is that you might get away with mouthing off, if you're wasted. Touch a cop and you get fucked. Zero change. Doesn't make much of a headline though.

With a board full of multiple lawyers to chime in i don't see the point in randomly guessing what typical cases of trespassing are. Almost any one of them can give a much more educated opinion what are the real changes to current policy. All they have to do is read my first post and ignore your hot takes.

Thread Information