Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48

Thread: Current life in Las Vegas- Housing, retail, social life?

  1. #21
    Bronze
    Reputation
    71
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    136
    Load Metric
    23766014
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    Any fans of Reno, Nevada?
    I was in Reno for a few days to play in the online part of the WSOP (stayed at the Whitney Peak Hotel.)
    I was surprised at how nice the town was. Quiet, homeless situation on the street not too bad, pretty clean. They washed the sidewalks every morning. Limited food choices but a couple of good spots. Some outdoor activities in the area but really not much to do if you can't create your own entertainment. As I get toward retirement age it's a place I might consider.

  2. #22
    Flashlight Master
    Reputation
    -14
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,337
    Load Metric
    23766014
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbodoggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    Any fans of Reno, Nevada?
    I was in Reno for a few days to play in the online part of the WSOP (stayed at the Whitney Peak Hotel.)
    I was surprised at how nice the town was. Quiet, homeless situation on the street not too bad, pretty clean. They washed the sidewalks every morning. Limited food choices but a couple of good spots. Some outdoor activities in the area but really not much to do if you can't create your own entertainment. As I get toward retirement age it's a place I might consider.
    Please tell us how was the Whitney Peak Hotel?

  3. #23
    Plutonium sonatine's Avatar
    Reputation
    6995
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    31,675
    Load Metric
    23766014
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbodoggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    Any fans of Reno, Nevada?
    I was in Reno for a few days to play in the online part of the WSOP (stayed at the Whitney Peak Hotel.)
    I was surprised at how nice the town was. Quiet, homeless situation on the street not too bad, pretty clean. They washed the sidewalks every morning. Limited food choices but a couple of good spots. Some outdoor activities in the area but really not much to do if you can't create your own entertainment. As I get toward retirement age it's a place I might consider.

    reno has changed a lot recently and like it or not, the tesla factory is pretty much why.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

    "America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

  4. #24
    Canadrunk limitles's Avatar
    Reputation
    1630
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In Todd's head
    Posts
    16,114
    Load Metric
    23766014
    Name:  A231FB78-B662-4ABB-8271-DAE5193DB339.jpeg
Views: 465
Size:  475.0 KB
    unbounded
    Never Forget



  5. #25
    Flashlight Master
    Reputation
    -14
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,337
    Load Metric
    23766014
    Portland- No thanks.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Reputation
    254
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    643
    Load Metric
    23766014
    I've always been astonished how much people in Las Vegas complain about traffic. I moved here in part to escape the commute hell that was Atlanta, and I had previously lived in Houston, so by comparison driving in this town is fucking pleasant.

    I guess I don't really get the depressed vibes either. It's not like I'm insensitive to that sort of thing, I have quit a job before because spending too much time in casinos made me feel that way. But the suburbs? I suppose I'm numb to seeing the occasional homeless person or gas station degen.

    I am looking to buy a house next quarter, although the market hasn't lowered prices like I had expected from covid. So I'm open to a change of scenery, but I'm leaning toward sticking around here.

  7. #27
    Flashlight Master
    Reputation
    -14
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,337
    Load Metric
    23766014

    Current life in Las Vegas- Housing, retail, social life?

    Id like to move back there, but then I miss the excitement of going there and enjoy the hotel experience. For me, just driving to Vegas on the 15 is part of the experience.

    But living there is sweet too. Can always go out and do stuff and lots of women to chase, food, catering to locals.
    Last edited by desertrunner; 12-25-2020 at 11:16 AM.

  8. #28
    Bronze
    Reputation
    71
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    136
    Load Metric
    23766014
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbodoggins View Post

    I was in Reno for a few days to play in the online part of the WSOP (stayed at the Whitney Peak Hotel.)
    I was surprised at how nice the town was. Quiet, homeless situation on the street not too bad, pretty clean. They washed the sidewalks every morning. Limited food choices but a couple of good spots. Some outdoor activities in the area but really not much to do if you can't create your own entertainment. As I get toward retirement age it's a place I might consider.
    Please tell us how was the Whitney Peak Hotel?
    I liked the Whitney Peak.
    nice rooms, reasonable price.
    No casino.
    They have a climbing wall and fitness center.
    Pet friendly and very close to a dog park, the main casinos, and convenience stores.
    Restaurant was only open for takeout. Food was very good. Staff competent and friendly.
    I was there with my wife and did run into the problem of only one connection to the WSOP through the hotel internet. This was easily fixed with a personal hotspot.
    things might have changed since the CV situation got worse again, but I found the locals friendly, police presence good with no overzealousness (I saw them tell one guy on the street he had to pour his beer out, no drama.)

  9. #29
    Gold mickeycrimm's Avatar
    Reputation
    96
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,876
    Load Metric
    23766014
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    Portland- No thanks.
    The suburbs of Portland are actually not to bad. Gresham/Troutdale on the east side. Clackamas/Lake Oswego/Oregon City on the south side. Tigard/Beaverton/Hillsboro on the southwest side.
    "Socialism is the philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy. It's inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." Winston Churchill

  10. #30
    Flashlight Master
    Reputation
    -14
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,337
    Load Metric
    23766014
    These are the exact Las Vegas crime stories I worry about- Good neighborhood, nice homes, too many bad people out there and not enough LEOs-
    https://www.facebook.com/WSYXABC6/vi...4271003424364/

    Side note- The homeowner inside should have lit up the bad guys outside with a flashlight FIRST before shooting at them. A bright and blinding light will have a desired effect and shooting at suspects should have you LAST choice of action.

  11. #31
    Silver
    Reputation
    121
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    813
    Load Metric
    23766014
    Las Vegas sounds like a liberal hell hole, infected by fleeing Californians whom can no longer live under the policies of the governments they elected.

    Next best state for gambling and weather is Florida. Another sunny place for shady people.

    There are no good answers.

    North Carolina, close the Cherokee might fit the bill if you just need a few casinos to stalk.

  12. #32
    Flashlight Master
    Reputation
    -14
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,337
    Load Metric
    23766014
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Las Vegas sounds like a liberal hell hole, infected by fleeing Californians whom can no longer live under the policies of the governments they elected.
    Nevada makes their own home rooted problems without the help of California. They've been rated one of the most corrupt states in the UDA long before the California transplants came. Unfortunately, the California people get the unfair blame by the Nevadans.

    North Carolina, close the Cherokee might fit the bill if you just need a few casinos to stalk.
    Now this sounds good.

  13. #33
    Gold Jayjami's Avatar
    Reputation
    703
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Lake Tahoe, CA
    Posts
    2,346
    Load Metric
    23766014
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbodoggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    Any fans of Reno, Nevada?
    I was in Reno for a few days to play in the online part of the WSOP (stayed at the Whitney Peak Hotel.)
    I was surprised at how nice the town was. Quiet, homeless situation on the street not too bad, pretty clean. They washed the sidewalks every morning. Limited food choices but a couple of good spots. Some outdoor activities in the area but really not much to do if you can't create your own entertainment. As I get toward retirement age it's a place I might consider.
    I live an hour from Reno. Its been slowly on the decline since the onset of the Indian Casinos in California, but there are a lot worse places to live for sure. The biggest knock for me is the airport. Few flights and few destinations.

  14. #34
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    8441
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    48,974
    Blog Entries
    2
    Load Metric
    23766014
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    I've always been astonished how much people in Las Vegas complain about traffic. I moved here in part to escape the commute hell that was Atlanta, and I had previously lived in Houston, so by comparison driving in this town is fucking pleasant.

    I guess I don't really get the depressed vibes either. It's not like I'm insensitive to that sort of thing, I have quit a job before because spending too much time in casinos made me feel that way. But the suburbs? I suppose I'm numb to seeing the occasional homeless person or gas station degen.

    I am looking to buy a house next quarter, although the market hasn't lowered prices like I had expected from covid. So I'm open to a change of scenery, but I'm leaning toward sticking around here.
    I agree about the traffic. After spending so much time in LA, the Vegas traffic is nothing by comparison. The only exception involves the strip on weekend nights.

    Not sure if you're going to have kids, but if you are, the school system kinda blows. The bad school system and bad healthcare are two under-discussed negative aspects of Vegas.

     
    Comments
      
      shoeshine box: Northern Nevada Teen challenge 40k+ a yr.

  15. #35
    How Could You? WillieMcFML's Avatar
    Reputation
    1047
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,924
    Load Metric
    23766014
    my brother lived in LV while going to med school (this was approx 15 or so years ago)

    he said hardly any locals went to college cause you could make 6, or near 6 figures being a dealer, valet, cocktail waitress , etc

    times have changed since, obv, but i still think a lot of the local population doesn't strive to make anything better for themselves because they feel they will always have that as a backup

    others fall victim to many get-rich schemes also because they know if it goes tits up they can hopefully get a casino license

    in a sharp downturn like now almost all are FUCKED
    Hi Lew!!!

  16. #36
    Flashlight Master
    Reputation
    -14
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,337
    Load Metric
    23766014
    Bump for some updates.

  17. #37
    Welcher jsearles22's Avatar
    Reputation
    558
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    6,690
    Load Metric
    23766014
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    Bump for some updates.

    Quote Originally Posted by DanDruff
    Current Vegas is a mess, and might stay a mess for a long time.
    Update- housing, schools, crime, job market. None of it has changed in the last 5 weeks. Keep scratching for attention though faggot
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

  18. #38
    Diamond Walter Sobchak's Avatar
    Reputation
    1243
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Bowling Alley
    Posts
    8,875
    Load Metric
    23766014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    I've always been astonished how much people in Las Vegas complain about traffic. I moved here in part to escape the commute hell that was Atlanta, and I had previously lived in Houston, so by comparison driving in this town is fucking pleasant.

    I guess I don't really get the depressed vibes either. It's not like I'm insensitive to that sort of thing, I have quit a job before because spending too much time in casinos made me feel that way. But the suburbs? I suppose I'm numb to seeing the occasional homeless person or gas station degen.

    I am looking to buy a house next quarter, although the market hasn't lowered prices like I had expected from covid. So I'm open to a change of scenery, but I'm leaning toward sticking around here.
    I agree about the traffic. After spending so much time in LA, the Vegas traffic is nothing by comparison. The only exception involves the strip on weekend nights.

    Not sure if you're going to have kids, but if you are, the school system kinda blows. The bad school system and bad healthcare are two under-discussed negative aspects of Vegas.
    The people who have the most influence in Vegas aren't interested in making it a good place to live. They're interested in making it a good place to visit.

    SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

    PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

  19. #39
    Flashlight Master
    Reputation
    -14
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,337
    Load Metric
    23766014
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post
    Update- housing, schools, crime, job market. None of it has changed in the last 5 weeks. Keep scratching for attention though faggot
    Ass Clown- More members are checking, so I wanted to see if they could add anything.

  20. #40
    Bronze
    Reputation
    71
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    136
    Load Metric
    23766014
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    Bump for some updates.
    Vegas COVID numbers are going down.
    Looks like crime on the strip is being addressed.
    I'm going 2/8 to play at the Venetian.
    I usually rent a car but this time I'll get an Uber from the airport and then just walk between hotel and casino.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Neverwin and his current life
    By Tegnation22 in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 05-03-2017, 11:08 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-04-2016, 03:56 PM
  3. Poker is like life, and life's a bitch
    By RegGaymer in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-29-2016, 07:17 PM
  4. VC Life
    By abrown83 in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-29-2016, 02:42 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-05-2013, 12:47 AM