Thread: Would you run a 1/2 marathon in the age of COVID-19?

Load Metric

Would you run a 1/2 marathon in the age of COVID-19?

So somehow wifey talked me into running a 1/2 marathon on Sunday. I originally balked at the idea, but wifey said "Since you're driving me down there anyway, you might as well run too." (I didn't know I was getting up to drive her there at 5:30 a.m. on a Sunday, but apparently I was.) So, I am an old fart and about 15 lbs. heavier than I should be. I haven't properly trained for this race due to time constraints and COVID lockdowns (my gym was shuttered-hence the extra 15 lbs.). The race is supposed to have a max of 1000 entrants, but I think the real number will be a little more than half that. We're supposed to wear a mask in the starting corral and after the finish, but no mask is required while running on the course. (Plus we have a lot of anti-maskers here in South Florida). The start is supposed to be a staggered (10 runners at a time), and runners' times will be based on Chip Time not Gun Time. I'm usually a middle of the pack runner in these races and therefore probably will be surrounded by many others on the course. In normal times I wouldn't give it a second thought and just power my way through to the end thinking of the multiple ice cold DogFish Head 90 minute IPAs that will be waiting for me in my cooler at the finish. But, at my age and with COVID levels spiking here in So Fla (multiple people I know personally and others I work with either now have or recently had COVID), is this a bad idea?

Load Metric
    running is for fags

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post
    running is for fags

Didn't know you were a runner.

Load Metric
    I think your wife is trying to back door kill you, not by covid, but having her now overweight husband run a half marathon without training. Hilarious.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by splitthis View Post
    I think your wife is trying to back door kill you, not by covid, but having her now overweight husband run a half marathon without training. Hilarious.

You might be right. Two months ago she reminded me to pay my life insurance premium.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    You're outside, around a limited group of people during majority of the time. Plus most of those people are actually healthy to begin with because if even you are able to light jog, 13 miles is 13 miles.

Why would you even want to though. Running is the most boring physical activity ever. Only reason to do it is to burn calories.

Curious, who here can run a 10k here at a 7:30 pace or better?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post
    You're outside, around a limited group of people during majority of the time. Plus most of those people are actually healthy to begin with because if even you are able to light jog, 13 miles is 13 miles.

Why would you even want to though. Running is the most boring physical activity ever. Only reason to do it is to burn calories.

Lolz what site you posting this on?

Comments

OSA: point taken.

Cerveza Fria: yup
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    Just run the race and keep your distance from people. We ran a 6 mile in September, it was fine and other then passing people there’s very limited contact

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post

I understand where you are coming from. Growing up, the coaches would make us run laps as punishment for being late, screwing up a play, etc. But as I got older, it became a place where I can escape and have my own time. No cell phone calls to bother me, just me my tunes and my thoughts. Oh, and yes, it allows me to drink beer without looking like Larry the Cable guy. Can do 7:30 pace for a 5k, but not for a 10k. Maybe if I was still in my 20s.

Silver
    Load Metric
    You listen to your wife ?

Time to get a new wife cuck.
    cmoney :It would be nice if Mexico could simply get human feces out of its drinking water

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by YUUP View Post
    You listen to your wife ?

Time to get a new wife cuck.
    Sorry, but you're no longer allowed to call anyone a cuck since you admitted your girlfriend controls you.

Load Metric
    So, I survived. Finished in under 2 hours. Not my fastest, but not my slowest. Not bad for an old fart like me. Pounded several beers at the post finish area event - I earned them. Everyone was cool and social distanced. Everyone had to wear a mask at the start and at the finish. Felt pretty safe and wasn't really worried about getting covid.

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    congrats on the finish but why the fuck would you be worried about getting a fake disease

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerveza Fria View Post
    So, I survived. Finished in under 2 hours. Not my fastest, but not my slowest. Not bad for an old fart like me. Pounded several beers at the post finish area event - I earned them. Everyone was cool and social distanced. Everyone had to wear a mask at the start and at the finish. Felt pretty safe and wasn't really worried about getting covid.
    Nice work. Have started to gear up for my first full marathon in 2021 after my brother laid down the challenge; have run a handful of 1/2's and a 30k in the past.

Still unsure if I'll follow through due to COVID and the travel it would require but am aiming for it regardless.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    Nice work. Have started to gear up for my first full marathon in 2021 after my brother laid down the challenge; have run a handful of 1/2's and a 30k in the past.

Still unsure if I'll follow through due to COVID and the travel it would require but am aiming for it regardless.

A full. that's a serious race. But I understand the issue. You gotta meet that challenge or your brother will never let you live it down. If you put in the training, it will possible. Good luck!

Load Metric
    So somehow wifey talked me into running a 1/2 marathon on Sunday. I originally balked at the idea, but wifey said "Since you're driving me down there anyway, you might as well run too." (I didn't know I was getting up to drive her there at 5:30 a.m. on a Sunday, but apparently I was.) So, I am an old fart and about 15 lbs. heavier than I should be. I haven't properly trained for this race due to time constraints and COVID lockdowns (my gym was shuttered-hence the extra 15 lbs.). The race is supposed to have a max of 1000 entrants, but I think the real number will be a little more than half that. We're supposed to wear a mask in the starting corral and after the finish, but no mask is required while running on the course. (Plus we have a lot of anti-maskers here in South Florida). The start is supposed to be a staggered (10 runners at a time), and runners' times will be based on Chip Time not Gun Time. I'm usually a middle of the pack runner in these races and therefore probably will be surrounded by many others on the course. In normal times I wouldn't give it a second thought and just power my way through to the end thinking of the multiple ice cold DogFish Head 90 minute IPAs that will be waiting for me in my cooler at the finish. But, at my age and with COVID levels spiking here in So Fla (multiple people I know personally and others I work with either now have or recently had COVID), is this a bad idea?

Oh yeah wifey set you up on this one, she knew what she was doing haha

and here you are all driving to go run some marathon on a Sunday morning at 5AM haha.....

Thread Information