Thread: Unusual solar storm activity to cause northern lights to appear over substantial portion of US

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Unusual solar storm activity to cause northern lights to appear over substantial portion of US

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/09/us/no...scn/index.html

Sadly, it's not going to get to southern California, nor is that ever likely to happen.

People in the areas north of the red line above might be able to see the northern lights from December 9-11. This means cities such as Chicago, Detroit, Boston, Seattle, and perhaps Occupied Portland might get an unusual show.

It's possible GPS devices will malfunction during this time. Almost all of Alaska should get to see some really nice lights, provided it's clear. Parts of Alaska, such as Anchorage, don't get as many northern lights displays as you'd think. One of the best areas to view them is Fairbanks -- now and any time such lights are predicted.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/09/us/no...scn/index.html

Sadly, it's not going to get to southern California, nor is that ever likely to happen.

People in the areas north of the red line above might be able to see the northern lights from December 9-11. This means cities such as Chicago, Detroit, Boston, Seattle, and perhaps Occupied Portland might get an unusual show.

It's possible GPS devices will malfunction during this time. Almost all of Alaska should get to see some really nice lights, provided it's clear. Parts of Alaska, such as Anchorage, don't get as many northern lights displays as you'd think. One of the best areas to view them is Fairbanks -- now and any time such lights are predicted.
    Everyone should make attempts to see northern lights if possible.

When I lived in Wyoming there was word that it can be visible. We drove out to a super remote campsite in the middle of nowhere with absolutely no light pollution. After a few hours of nothing the heavens opened up and I felt like I was tripping on acid despite being stone sober.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yes, 100% want to see this.

Actually considered going to Fairbanks in winter 2019 and 2020 but didn't end up doing it. Now I regret it because who knows the next time such travel is feasible? Hopefully winter 2022.

It is a bit of a risk going there because it's a long flight (no matter where you're coming from), and it's bitter cold and very dark most of the day, so the only thing to do is see the northern lights. If they don't show up, you've wasted your time and money.

Still, I want to give it a shot.

My plan was to look at the 10-day weather forecast in February (supposedly the best time to catch it), and if it's clear, looking for cheap plane fares (if they exist), and jump on them.

Thread Information