Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pretty sure i would be shitting if i had 2 million invested in cardboard derek carr 🍆🍆🍆

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    many years ago it use to be somewhat easier and a fun, affordable hobby to "invest" in certain players. this was wrecked because of all the brands and all he different rare cards of the player each year.

thing is, nobody had a clue as to which one/card(s) was the better one to buy. making matters even worse is the card graded scheme. if you don't get the grade on the card that you should get you lose big as well. so unless you're on the inside getting a proper grade your on the outside getting fucked. while a person who spends thousands or who know them personally get the benefit of the doubt with a 10 instead of a 9. again, i'm saying this loosely. i'm sure their not corrupt from top to bottom all the time, but the card graders are pretty corrupt.

i guess you can make money sitting on certain brands of unopened stuff, if the price of he pack/box goes up, but buying a certain player is lol because all the blue chip players/rookies/prospects already have been assigned a huge, hyped up value at where they open with. it's pretty hard to speculate when you're already paying top dollar from practically day 1...not to mention knowing which card to buy.

i'm sure peeps have lost housands on wentz, darnold and i'm there are many others like them in recent years.
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by mulva View Post
    many years ago it use to be somewhat easier and a fun, affordable hobby to "invest" in certain players. this was wrecked because of all the brands and all he different rare cards of the player each year.

thing is, nobody had a clue as to which one/card(s) was the better one to buy. making matters even worse is the card graded scheme. if you don't get the grade on the card that you should get you lose big as well. so unless you're on the inside getting a proper grade your on the outside getting fucked. while a person who spends thousands or who know them personally get the benefit of the doubt with a 10 instead of a 9. again, i'm saying this loosely. i'm sure their not corrupt from top to bottom all the time, but the card graders are pretty corrupt.

i guess you can make money sitting on certain brands of unopened stuff, if the price of he pack/box goes up, but buying a certain player is lol because all the blue chip players/rookies/prospects already have been assigned a huge, hyped up value at where they open with. it's pretty hard to speculate when you're already paying top dollar from practically day 1...not to mention knowing which card to buy.

i'm sure peeps have lost housands on wentz, darnold and i'm there are many others like them in recent years.
    100%, but there were also people who bought those cards and sold em for profit to people who lost their asses...shit's no different than any other market...you just gotta be smart on when you are buying a guy...dont go buying justin herbert right now when his rookie cards are nuclearly hot like they are now...

you dont need to get PSA 10s to make money...i bought a ja morant card panini prizm silver raw, got it graded and got it shoved up my ass with an 8...bought the card raw for $300, graded it for $25 and was able to sell it for $425...there are people out there who want variants of a card who can't afford to pay PSA 10 prices...is doing that with an 8 common, no, but then again i bought the card for a decent price...if that card would have gotten a 9 i would have probably been able to sell it for around $800ish..

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    also, the thing about collecting for profit isn't just based of on how good a player is. it's about if said player can establish it over a long period of time and get into the HOF. so even if the player breaks out it's just one step of many needed. and sadly,..just because the player was great and good enough for the HOF, or in the HOF doesn't mean anybody wants to collect him in the first place.

take baseball for instance. you can't hold onto a lot of these cards. you basically have to sell them if and when the player gets hot enough and creates a buzz. it would be foolish to risk it and keep it these days. not enough players just can't sustain greatness enough for a HOF career, that coupled with value that it can hit early when he starts out. makes it's harder to keep going up

for instance take felix hernandez and how dominate he was. now look at him. he prolly won't even get 3k in strikeouts and who the fuck wants to buy his cards. there are many, many others as well.

all of this is why i switched over to buying game used memorabilia back in the late 90's. i got out just in time around 10 years ago as that too became flooded to the market. making it shit and overpriced, and /or unwanted for the most part..now they save and auction pitched balls and foul balls...anything

baseball is ridiculously hard to speculate in. even if you're a good student of talent, know the players, or the breakout players. it's just too much of crap shoot to take it seriously.
    Last edited by mulva; 12-06-2020 at 10:39 PM.
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    youre right about baseball prospecting...not for the faint of heart...

take baseball for instance. you can't hold onto a lot of these cards. you basically have to sell them if and when the player gets hot enough and creates a buzz. it would be foolish to risk it and keep it these days. not enough players just can't sustain greatness enough for a HOF career, that coupled with value that it can hit early when he starts out. makes it's harder to keep going up
    you hit the nail on the head...it's just like anything market related...buying low, waiting for the rip and locking in profits...my plan going in with the shit i bought was to hold on to the cards for a few years and then hopefully sell out...but im being offered crazy returns within a year and im sure the fuck taking them...i think fox and collins are very good players, but all time greats? not even close...

with baseball if you really want to do it, you're better off in building a portfolio knowing that some of the shit is going to flame out big time while you might generate a decent return on others...ive bought some dominguez stuff just because i want a little exposure to the kid since i havent seen a lot of 17 year olds built like that...am i overpaying for some of it because the hype around him is huge? you betcha, but the exposure im going to have to his cards will be a fraction compared to what i put into the fox and collins cards which i thought were undervalued when i bought them...

it's why i like basketball...market is huge given the worldwide fanbase...you can pretty much tell who is going to have a chance of being good...and the chance for injury is lower than other sports...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    wtf?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    such a scam

guy has more great vids.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    the sports card market is going crazy. quite a bit of it is fueled by the card grading companies and peeps gambling for the now illusive 10. which is now manipulated/less given even more to control the market

when the 1989 ud griffey is going for around 500 in a 9 it's time to take notice.

in other news vegas dave says the card market is going to go kaput in 24-36 months. i don't know about his stake in his millions of dollars in carr cards, but i wouldn't take this purse carrying, phony's advice on anything

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    didn't read thread but Derek Carr is close to Eric Carr and Eric Carr is a fucking monster on drums so I'm gonna post a youtube video

Gold
    Load Metric
    the sports card market is going crazy. quite a bit of it is fueled by the card grading companies and peeps gambling for the now illusive 10. which is now manipulated/less given even more to control the market

when the 1989 ud griffey is going for around 500 in a 9 it's time to take notice.

in other news vegas dave says the card market is going to go kaput in 24-36 months. i don't know about his stake in his millions of dollars in carr cards, but i wouldn't take this purse carrying, phony's advice on anything
    I got into cards for a couple years in the late 80s, early 90s and actually bought and have this card sitting in a box in my closet. I bought it in a case and have never taken it out, and it was allegedly in mint condition when I bought it, but who the fuck really knows. My understanding is the only way to actually make $$ from this is to mail it to a company, pay them $50 or so, and hope it is graded PSA 10, and the waiting list is so long they will have the card for a couple months.

Out of curiosity if it was actually PSA 10 what could I reasonably expect to make selling it?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalam View Post

I got into cards for a couple years in the late 80s, early 90s and actually bought and have this card sitting in a box in my closet. I bought it in a case and have never taken it out, and it was allegedly in mint condition when I bought it, but who the fuck really knows. My understanding is the only way to actually make $$ from this is to mail it to a company, pay them $50 or so, and hope it is graded PSA 10, and the waiting list is so long they will have the card for a couple months.

Out of curiosity if it was actually PSA 10 what could I reasonably expect to make selling it?
    pretty sure they're selling in the 4-5k range in psa 10 on the bay.

they won't give you a 10 even if it deserves it. there's very strict grading now.

Load Metric
    Anybody fucking with NBA Top Shot?

I've bought 4 series-2 common packs. Pulled a Lebron dunk and a Cole Anthony, among others.

Lebron I sold for $400, Cole Anthony for $150.

I've made a couple dumb moves trying to flip, including a Lamelo that set me back about $60.

Overall I've spent $36 and have about $550 in my dapper wallet

Have yet to lose money buying a pack - they are super hard to get but if you can get one you'll almost always be able to sell off the moments for more than the pack costs.

Their site is a fail though and the time it takes to be able to cash out is insane.
    Last edited by WillieMcFML; 02-07-2021 at 09:54 PM.
    Hi Lew!!!

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I have been on Top Shot for about a month now. Site is a huge fail but hopefully they will work out the issues.

The pack drop yesterday was mega fail. It was supposed to be a random queue but they failed and people snagged the packs. I got lucky and scored one for $999. Resold the cards for about $2k.

I have done well on packs but getting harder to snipe singles and flip for profit imo.

Comments

WillieMcFML: nice hit

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    started getting back into this for some fun.

going to send a few of my vintage mr.mint rookies cards to csg.

i bought a few cards from the bay and there's still a shady side to this hobby. sellers not disclosing card problems, purposely taking pics to show the best and covering up the worst as well.

made like 10 purchases in a month and i have to return half of them.

these fucking sellers cannot be honest at all

also, finding out the level of cards being made into reprints and passed off as real is VERY alarming.

you can't buy a raw 84 donruss mattingly. 74 parker and many more.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    here is something you guys should look into.

it's a crossover kind of art/card thing.

gummy arts cards.

this guy draws his own cards and sells them. he's gathered some steam since 2018 wih a few articles about the cards but there's plenty of room to explode for him.

each card is hand drawn and he sells packs of 9 for only $15.00. the dude is grossly undervaluing his art. the ebay market for them is more than what he's charging.

i bought a few. should prolly buy more

mulva issuing a strong buy!!!

Home | Gummy Arts (bigcartel.com)

Name:  s-l500.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  43.7 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    psa 10 rickey henderson rookie sells for 180k

lol

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    starting to feel sick to my stomach. i sent in 50/60 vintage cards that i went over with magnifying glass before i sent them.

i pretty much collected " stong nm/mint" before most people did. when i bought them in the 80/90's

the new company i used is CSG who is known for comics and coins.

i looked over ebay and this is what i came up with

look at this joke grade 6.5. this card could be an 8 on more than one day a week depending on who was grading it. the money differential from 6.5 to 8 is monumental.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-Topps-...cAAOSwof5gT7PW

even bigger insult to the card above is that this is considered a 7

if this card is a 7 the payton is an 8.

1980 topps rickey henderson CSG 7 (psa 7) | eBay

what a joke. i can't wait to sell all my cards and get out of this hobby filled with scummy people

Thread Information