Thread: UC Berkeley professor under fire for posting, "If you want a girlfriend, get out of the Bay Area"

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

UC Berkeley professor under fire for posting, "If you want a girlfriend, get out of the Bay Area"

Interesting situation involving a (seemingly conservative -- or at least not liberal) professor out of UC Berkeley.

Jonathan Shewchuk, a computer science professor at UC Berkeley, caused a big controversy when he posted on Reddit, "If you want a girlfriend, get out of the Bay Area. Almost everywhere else on the planet is better for that. I’m not kidding at all. You’ll be shocked by the stark differences in behavior of women in places where women are plentiful versus their behavior within artillery distance of San Jose and San Francisco."

Shewchuk is married to an Asian woman, which is extremely common among white computer guys (I know from being in that space for decades):

But why would Shewchuk write such a tihng? And what does he mean by "where women are plentiful" versus the Bay Area? Is he asserting that the Bay Area is almost all men?

Not exactly, and I'll explain what he meant shortly.

First, read the NY Post article, which does an okay job summarizing the situation, but still doesn't provide full context: https://nypost.com/2024/03/23/us-new...nias-bay-area/

I'll go into more detail next post.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Some erroneously believe that Shewchuk was just ranting on social media against Bay Area women. Clearly he wasn't an angry incel ranting about his own inability to get a girl, as he's presently married to an attractive woman.

It turned out that this controversial statement was in response to two other long Reddit posts.

Shewchuk was trying to give advice to a frustrated and seemingly depressed Berkeley engineering student. Here are the screen shots...

First, a student was asking for advice regarding his career path, stating that he wasn't sure if computer science and electrical engineering was for him, and he was feeling increasingly down about his future:

Name:  berkeley1.png
Views: 126
Size:  265.3 KB

This brought another Berkeley student responding to him (Shewchuk hadn't yet entered the conversation). This student painted an even grimmer situation, claiming that the job market in this field was astoundingly competitive, plus the classes were so challenging that he didn't have time for anything else. This student then also lamented his inability to meet women due to lack of exposure to them. He complained that he knew only 4 women total, one of whom already friendzoned him, and the other three being unsuitable for dating for various reasons. He then went on to explain that he has resigned himself to not having a girlfriend until after graduation. He is so desperate that he offers to pay people who can introduce him to outside social groups!

Name:  berkeley2.png
Views: 125
Size:  720.7 KB

This led Professor Shewchuk, presumably saddened by the low morale of Berkeley students in his own field, attempting to give blunt but politically incorrect advice regarding the dating situation:

Name:  berkeley3.png
Views: 125
Size:  359.9 KB

Cue the predictable outrage:

Name:  berkeley4.png
Views: 126
Size:  264.2 KB

I'll give my thoughts in the next post.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Admittedly, Shewchuk's statement was clumsy and I understand how it can be taken as misogynistic. I have no idea why this guy didn't realize how it would go over, given that he's at one of the most liberal schools in the nation, living in a time when everyone is hypersensitive.

The statement itself also wasn't particularly accurate. The Bay Area does not have a shortage of women, so his advice to go elsewhere where "women are more plentiful" doesn't make sense, nor does the his related advice that women in the Bay Area have a bad attitude due to their supposed rarity.

But having been a computer science student myself (albeit over 30 years ago), I understand what he's trying to say. He just didn't communicate it well.

There is indeed a major shortage of women in the world of computer science and engineering. While women have made huge progress in fields which were once male dominated, such as law and medicine, the same cannot be said for computer science and engineering, where it continues to be overwhelmingly male. The reasons for this are not fully understood. Some still believe that parents, career counselors, and peers push women out of interest in these fields. Others believe that men are naturally more inclined to be attracted to these fields. We see similar debates regarding poker, and why it is also so heavily male.

Regardless of the reason, it is definitely true that male students in the engineering/CS world will definitely find very few women, and therefore have fewer overall interactions with women compared to other majors. I experienced this myself. Almost all of my classes were heavily male, aside from some general education classes I took to satisfy requirements. Had I counted on meeting women through my classes or peer groups, I would have dated zero women in my college years. I had to look outside that realm to find dates. The competition for the few women in the EE/CS field was so fierce and intense, it didn't feel like it was worth even trying.

The second poster brought up the point that 90% of his time was sucked up by class and class-related work (studying, projects, homework, etc), so he simply didn't have time to venture elsewhere to meet women. This caused him to concede that he would not be dating at all until after college, which seemed to upset him greatly.

Cue Professor Shewchuk's response. Presumably Shewchuk ran into the same thing when he was younger. He also probably found that the heavy concentration of tech in the Bay Area led him to seemingly always be in male-dominated spaces, and he found he had to go to other areas to meet single women more easily. Had he phrased it that way, there wouldn't have been a controversy.

Instead, he claimed there was an entire scarcity of women in the Bay Area, and this caused the women in/near Berkeley to have an attitude. Obviously this didn't go over well, and for good reason.

And while I don't know what he meant regarding his negative impression of the "behavior of women" in places like the Bay Area, again I think it has to do with the tech-heavy concentration there. Being a smart tech guy -- even a successful one -- is common and uninteresting in the Bay Area, and not likely to impress any girls there. If you venture to the outlying areas, especially ones which are more agricultural, you are more likely as a computer geek to find women who are impressed by your smarts and career. Perhaps that's what he was getting at. It's similar to how being a cowboy in rural Texas will be much less interesting to women than ones in California.

I will say that one of the angry responses was also quite telling. One of them said, "As a woman taking this class, I'm shocked by this thread, as well as this professor's engagement." While I understand her shock regarding the professor's remarks, I don't see an issue with the first two posts. And the fact that this woman was bothered by a guy complaining that he can't meet girls speaks volumes. There's a sexist belief that lonely men just have to suck it up and deal with it, whereas women upset with life should be dealt with sensitively.

The guys in the first two posts were very reasonable. The first was unsure about the direction of his major/career, and the second echoed that concern, while also being unhappy that he was exposed to very few women, and thus had a hard time finding dates. What's wrong with that? Is it verboten these days for dudes to express that it's tough meeting girls when your field is almost all men?

The truth is that there are a ton of lonely/depressed young men in the EE/CS fields, and dismissing their angst as "inappropriate" or "misogynistic" is not fair to them.

With that said, this professor needs to realize where he is and the time he lives in, and keep his "helpful" remarks to himself.

Load Metric
    Lol professor jewcuck counseling some dumb faggot willing to pay money for friends. He should be praised for not advising presumed incel to jump off a building.

If you can't meet people at 20 when everyone wants to just party and fuck then the problem is you. Or create a dating profile and click around, even the dregs of society can find someone.

Druff allegedly humoring women via prank calls and party lines suggests anything is possible.

Comments

OK2: LOL
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    Lol professor jewcuck counseling some dumb faggot willing to pay money for friends. He should be praised for not advising presumed incel to jump off a building.

If you can't meet people at 20 when everyone wants to just party and fuck then the problem is you. Or create a dating profile and click around, even the dregs of society can find someone.

Druff allegedly humoring women via prank calls and party lines suggests anything is possible.
    RichardBrodiesCombover has aids

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Actually college age is the toughest time for a lot of dudes to get girls, especially for computer geeks.

Can't date younger because those girls are in high school and it makes you into a pedo.

Older women (even slightly older) generally not into college guys.

College girls tend to be much more shallow, and also in high demand. This leaves the typical computer geek out in the cold, as the girls have choices which appeal to them far more, and money/career/etc doesn't matter to those girls at that point.

Can't even count on intelligence being a selling point in the college environment, because tons of dudes there are smart.

If you're a very good looking or sociable guy, sure you can just go to a party and probably get laid. The typical computer science dude, on the other hand, is relegated to sitting in his dorm jacking off to anime.

Things get better as they get older, but I totally get why these guys are upset. I learned at a young age that game selection is everything, so I was able to adapt, but a lot of them can't or don't.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Actually college age is the toughest time for a lot of dudes to get girls, especially for computer geeks.

Can't date younger because those girls are in high school and it makes you into a pedo.

Older women (even slightly older) generally not into college guys.
    lol I have found the opposite to be true, when I was in my early 20's I was fucking with women in their 30's/40's

Thread Information