Thread: There's a Fall Guy movie coming out in May, and I hadn't heard about it until today

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

There's a Fall Guy movie coming out in May, and I hadn't heard about it until today

Ryan Gosling of all people is playing the lead, in what seems to be an action-comedy.

I can't tell from the trailer if this is going to be good or bad. On the plus side, it could be a funny action film which doesn't take itself too seriously. On the pessimistic side, it could be a corny, stupid, and overly modern adaptation of this cult '80s favorite.

The IMDB lists Lee Majors at least having a role in it. He's almost 85, so presumably it's just a cameo. There is no listing for Douglas Barr (Howie) or Heather Thomas (Jody).

Heather Thomas, whose "light blue bikini" scene (see below) is etched into the minds of '80s guys everywhere, is now 66 years old. In the 2000s, she still looked very good, as you can see from this shot from 2008, where she was 50:

Unfortunately time finally caught up with her, so I'm guessing that had something to do with her lack of appearance in the film, either by her own choice or the filmmakers. Had they made this film 15 years ago, I'd think 100% they'd find a way to have gotten her in there.

Many don't know that Thomas was hit by a slow-moving car in a weird jaywalking incident in 1986. The car was going less than 20 mph but somehow still hit Thomas, who was not crossing the street legally. She suffered major leg injuries, which basically ruined her body for acting and modeling, and that knocked her out of show business. She also indicated that she had become sick of repeatedly being stalked by lonely/weird dudes who had become obsessed with her. It was easy to get people's addresses via the DMV back in those days -- something which has since been corrected after the 1989 murder of Rebecca Schaeffer. Thomas also had a well documented cocaine issue in the mid-80s.

If you want to feel old, the TV show began more than 42 years ago, in the fall of 1981.

Comments

Tellafriend: used to love watching this on saturday nights with the grandparents

BCR: That’s a great looking 50 year old woman.

Load Metric
    Heard about it, saw the trailer, lost interest.

Load Metric
    Dude this looks amazing!

What's kind of funny is that the trailer for the movie is around the same length as the TV show intro.

Comments

BCR: It looks like it’s going to be good and not take itself seriously

OK2: good comment ^

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Near the beginning of the original show's theme song is a line, "I've never been with anything less than a 9... so fine!"

The line is a bit ambiguous, but is probably a tongue-in-cheek reference to the stuntman's frequent on-screen time with beautiful starlets, made to sound like he's referring to sexual partners.

But when I heard that line again recently, I thought to myself, "Whether a joke or not, that would never be in a TV show today, because rating women from 1-10 on looks is considered objectifying."

This sort of thing is why it's very difficult for modern Hollywood to capture the true spirit and humor of a lot of old shows. Every line these days is vetted carefully to make sure it doesn't offend the "wrong" people.

I really do miss the days when Hollywood didn't worry about stuff like this.

Load Metric
    Lee Majors had a hell of run. Six Million Dollar Man was probably the first show I ever specifically wanted to watch as a kid. I recall watching it and then back to back with Bionic Woman.

Lee dated all the hot women. Married to Farrah obvious, playmates, etc.

Was in love with Heather Thomas. Tried to remember that shitty movie with Scott Baio and kid from Eight is Enough making womens tops explode open. Seemed an amazing super power at 12.

Trailer is so 1982

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Don't forget that Lee Majors also sang the theme song!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Lee Majors had a hell of run. Six Million Dollar Man was probably the first show I ever specifically wanted to watch as a kid. I recall watching it and then back to back with Bionic Woman.
    My dad was an electrician who specialized in residential. He once did some work for Lee Majors, who despite being called the Six Million Dollar Man, was a "cheap SOB" when it came to paying the bill.

Comments

OK2: lol industrial only for me
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

Lee dated all the hot women. Married to Farrah obvious, playmates, etc.

Was in love with Heather Thomas. Tried to remember that shitty movie with Scott Baio and kid from Eight is Enough making womens tops explode open. Seemed an amazing super power at 12.

Trailer is so 1982

Zapped came out just before I started going to the theater on my own a lot. I was 10 in 1982, but it was starting in 1983 when I was going to movies with my friends without my mom being involved to drive me there and buy me the tickets. So I never saw this one in the theater. I caught it on cable years later.

Heather Thomas didn't look like she fit in there. Already had an older look by 1982, when she was 24-25. I realize most "high school" students on TV in those days were in their 20s, but Heather really didn't have the high school girl look anymore, no matter how much you tried to stretch the imagination.

She was one of the biggest early-mid 80s crushes of boys and young men at the time, though. I have to imagine that The Fall Guy wouldn't have done as well without her being there.

Thread Information